761 users online (107 members and 654 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Canada - Penny Warne, 57, Wasaga Beach ON, 11 Feb 2009

http://www.theenterprisebulletin.com...aspx?e=2451981

No sign of missing woman a year later
    Posted By RAYMOND BOWE, QMI AGENCY
    Posted 11 hours ago

Thursday marked the first anniversary of Penny Warne's disappearance, but extensive marine, air and land searches have turned up no clues.

The 57-year-old woman was last seen Feb. 11, 2009, at 10 p.m. leaving the Wasaga Beach Wal-Mart, where she was employed. She failed to show up for work the following day.

When friends and family checked Warne's home on Feb. 15, she was nowhere to be found, so police were called and she was reported missing.

Police hope media coverage surrounding the anniversary will trigger someone's memory and possibly lead to new information.

"Our investigation is not giving

"Especially if you knew her, there could be something that didn't seem to be of importance, but now, once a year has passed and you think about it again, it registers," Huronia West OPP Const. Mark Kinney said on Thursday.

"We're not bringing a conclusion to this as fast as we'd like to," he added.

Police say the disappearance is out of character for Warne, mother of two adult children, but there has been no bank activity or any evidence to show she could be somewhere else.

Det.-Insp. Rene Bazinet, with the OPP's criminal investigations branch, is leading the investigation, but there is no information or evidence to suggest foul play.

"Our investigation is not giving us anything to indicate that," Kinney said. "For us to label it, without any solid basis, is just something we can't do."

Police insist it's not a cold case.

"I don't like to use that four-letter word (cold)," Kinney said. "We did get information from the public and we followed it up. We revisit areas of concern from time to time."

The search has yielded no clues, including multiple searches in and around the Nottawasaga River, which Warne's River Road West home backs onto.

"You don't wish anything negative, but anything could happen," Kinney said. "At more than one point, we revisited the river."

The search, including OPP divers, has been extensive.

"When you're looking for an individual, you want to cover every possible avenue as quickly as possible," Kinney said. "You gather information that takes you on different courses. When you talk to people who knew her, then you get more information that will lead you somewhere else.

"We're going to re-look at things so we know we didn't miss anything."

Anyone with information can call Huronia West OPP at 705-429-3575.
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 01-01-2011 at 12:46 PM.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/warne_penny.html

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: February 11, 2009 from Wasaga Beach, Ontario
    Classification: Missing
    Date Of Birth: July 21, 1951
    Height: 5' 5", or 166 cm
    Weight: 141 lbs, or 64k g
    Hair Color: Blonde
    Eye Color: Blue
    Race: White
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Medium build. Fair complexion. Wavy
    blonde hair. Wears wire rimmed lasses occasionally, mostly for reading.
    Clothing: Believed to be wearing her
    purple/blue/white boots and her white housecoat with lipstick/make-up
    cut-outs/patchwork.
    Denatal: Available
    Fingerprints: Available
    Case Number: ON-MF-2009-02-01315

Details of Disappearance
    The members of the Huronia West Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police are requesting the assistance of the public in locating 57 year old Penny Warne of Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada.. Ms. Warne was last seen on February 11th, 2008, at approximately 10:00 p.m., when she left work at a business in Wasaga Beach. Friends and co-workers became worried when she did not show up for work of Friday, February 13th or the February 15, 2009 and contacted OPP on Sunday, February 15th.

Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Ontario Provincial Police - Huronia West Detachment
    Det. Graham Sowryda
    705-429-3575

http://www.simcoe.com/article/129040

Upon searching the apartment, Amy said the only thing that was missing was her mother's winter boots. Her car was in the driveway, her purse, cell phone and winter coats were all inside the apartment

O.P.P. Missing Persons Detail - Penny Warne with glasses

Penny Warne was last seen on February 11th, 2009 at approximately 10:00 PM.She was last seen when she left work from a business in Wasaga Beach.

Date Last Seen 11 Feb 2009
    Age At Last Seen 57
    Date of Birth 21 Jul 1951

Height (cm) 165 -
    Height (Imp.) 5 ft 4 - ft
    Weight (kgs.) 70.5 -
    Weight (lbs.) 155 -
    Build Medium
    Hair Blond; Longer than Shoulder Blond wavy long hair
    Eye Colour Blue
    Eyewear Glasses

http://www.missing-u.ca/MPDetail.aspx?PersonID=804
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

WON'T GIVE UP: Amy Warne holds a picture of her mother.
    One of Penny's co-workers went to her apartment a couple of days later when she didn't show up for work.

"It was not like my mother to miss work," said Warne, who lives in Windsor and recently graduated from the University of Windsor.

The door was unlocked and the lights were on.

Her purse was still there. Her car was in the driveway. Penny's dog Lucy, an eight-year-old bulldog, was outside with her leash wrapped around a garbage bin. Only a housecoat and a pair of boots were missing.

"Everything is really wrong with this picture," said Warne. "Really wrong. Her car was left. She never leaves her dog outside. Her dog was outside. Anyone who knows my mom knows that wouldn't happen.

"She is obsessed with animals. She wouldn't leave Lucy out like that."
    This is an old article:
    http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/n...1-37c25fd27f42
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

Daughter seeks clues about missing mother
    Author: Trina Berlo, staff
    Date: Feb 19, 2009
    Upon searching the apartment, Amy said the only thing that was missing was her mother's winter boots. Her car was in the driveway, her purse, cell phone and winter coats were all inside the apartment.

http://www.bluemountainscourierheral...article/129040
    ★ Thank you ★

Where are you Penny?

DESCRIPTION

Penny Warne, 57, is five foot five and 140 to 150 pounds with blue eyes and blond hair. She also has a heart-shaped gold decoration on one of her front teeth with a diamond in it.
    http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/n...c25fd27f42&p=2
    ★ Thank you ★

I wonder if this is connected..
    http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../19503711.html
    "WASAGA BEACH, Ont. — A body was discovered along Wasaga Beach on a beached ice floe Wednesday morning.

According to Ontario Provincial Police, officers and forensic investigators were called to a beach near Eastdale Drive and River Road East when a body was found about two kilometres west of the Nottawasaga River around 10 a.m"

Kinney couldn't say what the cause of death was, or if the body was that of any missing people in the area.

"Unfortunately, at this time we can't speculate on that because, one, we have to determine the identity of the individual," he said. "Two, we have to be cognizant of the family members that have had people missing at this time."

Mark Walton, 47, was reported missing from Wasaga Beach and last seen heading south on the Main Street bridge Nov. 4, 2011.

Penny Warne, 57, was reported missing in 2009. She was last seen on Feb. 11, 2009, after leaving her job in Wasaga Beach.
    hmmm, I don't know what to make of the article's title dotr ... would they say "body" if what was recovered were 'remains" (unless it's been on the ice floe all this time)?

Body found on ice floe at Wasaga Beach

http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2.../19503756.html
    ★ Thank you ★

Body identified as Mark Walton
    Mar 16, 2012 - 2:42 PM

WASAGA BEACH – Police have identified the human remains found in Wasaga’s east end Wednesday as the body of Mark Walton.

Walton, 47, has been missing since Nov. 4.

Police say the death is not considered suspicious and the investigation is closed.
    read more: http://www.simcoe.com/community/wasa...rticle/1318704

R.I.P. Mark
    ★ Thank you ★

Bumping for Penny Warne, where are you hiding?

Penny is still missing.

I wonder if there could possibly be any connection to the murder of Sonia Varaschin from Orangeville? Sonia was murdered in August 2010. She had been a nurse, although had just changed jobs and was working for a pharmaceuticals co. Penny was trained as a nurse but was working at Wal-Mart at the time she disappeared. Both women were missing from their homes -- however, in Sonia's case, there was clear evidence of foul play in her townhouse. There is still no justice for Sonia, and no news of Penny.

bumping for Penny

★ Thank you ★

Housecoat, boots, dog on its leash .. sounds like Penny had just stepped outside so doggy could have a whiz.

I wonder how old those pics of Penny are ... she sure doesn't look 57

IMO, it is highly unlikely she went walking anywhere of her own volition in Wasaga Beach in February wearing a housecoat. Seems to me she was either blitzed or had been stalked by someone who knew her routine.

FWIW, temps for Collingwood (closest i could get) on Feb 10 and 11 were the two warmest days that month:

Feb 10 Max 10 / Min 0
    Feb 11 Max 8.9 / Min 6.7

ETA: Penny has a daughter, so let's scout around to see if we can find anything on an ex-husband or a more current boyfriend.
    Last edited by sillybilly; 10-30-2012 at 04:18 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast