1094 users online (221 members and 873 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AZ - Kaiya Kapahu, 5, disabled, starved to death, Phoenix, 17 Feb 2010

Officers found the little girl in a bedroom. She was dead and had been for possibly four weeks.
    Samudio said in an interview with police Orta admitted withholding medication and food from the child.
    Also during police interviews it was revealed that Orta lied to his father about the little girl's whereabouts the past few weeks. Orta told his father the girl had been admitted to St. Joseph's Hospital for treatment. Orta's father became suspicious and called the hospital only to find out it was a lie. That led to the confrontation and call to police.
    http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/P...-84696917.html
    The little girl had Rett Syndrome, and the uncle was supposed to be taking care of her and getting treatment for her that she couldn't get in Hawaii where her parents live.

omg im gonna be sick

Poor little baby. How could he?

I don't know a whole lot about Rett Syndrome. I'm going to look it up.

Grandpop. thank goodness got a clue. Too late.

Neighbor is stunned.

http://www.azfamily.com/home/related...-84709067.html
    Last edited by Filly; 02-18-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    Poor little baby. How could he?

I don't know a whole lot about Rett Syndrome. I'm going to look it up.

Grandpop. thank goodness got a clue. Too late.

Neighbor is stunned.

http://www.azfamily.com/home/related...-84709067.html
    from wikipedia (sorry my comp wont link for some reason)

retts is a syndrome which is an au tisim spectrum disorder, nameda after the doctor who discovered it in 1966. problems include deceleration of head growth, small hands and feet, gastrointestinal disorders, and seizures.

im pretty sure not feeding her or giving her meds would seriously cause her harm.....and lead to her death.

and then he leaves her rotting in the bed for a month?

This is teribble , I am so sorry for the family, but what I would like to know is why her bio parents did not move back to the states to take care of her since they could not care for her in Hawaii ? I don't get that, I am sure there is more to this story, but I would go to the ends of the earth with my children to find them care if they needed it ....
    Last edited by mysticrose; 02-18-2010 at 06:07 PM.
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

If he is going to choose to euthanize her, please please please tell me he did not do it by witholding food, water and medication.

Dont get me wrong-it was not his job to make that choice. BUT OMG.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Alot of details at the below link. Uncle worked with special needs children for 25 years. I don't know how he can claim he didn't know what to do to help her if he has that experience.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...enix-abrk.html

he left her body in a bed for weeks........that is an utter disgrace and totally dispicable no matter how she actually died. give me 5 minutes alone with him.......

RIP, little Kalya
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

Rest in peace, Kaiya Kapahu.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...enix-abrk.html

The uncle said he didn't know what to do, so he left her there?
    Funny he knew how to cash the check!
    What an outrage!

What a beautiful little girl. RIP Kaiya.

Father of special-needs girl found dead had planned to bring her home
    Feb. 24, 2010 11:37 PM

The single father of a 5-year-old special-needs child who died in the care of an uncle in Phoenix said he had recently become concerned about his daughter's welfare and was planning to bring her back to Hawaii when he got the call about her death.

Manny Kapahu said his brother stopped returning calls and e-mails from him seeking information on his daughter Kaiya.

Kapahu also said he wouldn't have left his daughter with her uncle if he believed his brother couldn't take care of her.

"I trusted him," Kapahu said Tuesday. "I would never have left my daughter with him if I thought ... he would not take care of her."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...igirl0224.html

There is so much sickness, greed, ineptitude and selfishness is this world that I am truly surprised at my level of shock concerning this situation.

I can hardly fault a single Dad for trusting his brother to care for his child, so she could get medical care. Why would he even contemplate that a man with 25 years of experience would harm his own flesh and blood?!

This is one case that I hope there is prison justice served!

What a beautiful angel. RIP little one.
    Bless the beasts and the children
    For in this world they have no voice,
    They have no choice.

I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, keep me here.
    كلي

Granddad felt dread about disabled girl
    by Michael Ferraresi - Feb. 25, 2010 12:00 AM
    The Arizona Republic

Nearly every morning, Leonard Orta Sr. returned to his Phoenix apartment from his graveyard shift and asked about his granddaughter. His son would tell him the 5-year-old girl was fine, although Orta sensed a lie.

He knew his son was drinking more heavily since the holidays. He noticed him struggling with the girl's seizure medication, feedings, baths and lack of verbal communication that came with Rett syndrome.

Phoenix police praised Orta for leading officers to Kaiya Kapahu's remains, although the 72-year-old security guard said he blamed himself for not going to the bedroom sooner. It took him one month to realize Kaiya was dead.

"I have to take this to the grave with me," said Orta, who has moved to a Phoenix hotel and refuses to stay at the apartment near Indian School Road and 28th Street where police discovered Kaiya's decomposed body on Feb. 17

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...afolo0225.html
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast