Will the players get out of these charges?

butterfly1978

Reaction score
In criminal law, entrapment is when a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit an offense which the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.[1] In many jurisdictions, entrapment is a possible defense against criminal liability.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrapment

I fear that if they get off of these charges than we will never no what happened to Haleigh. I doubt any of them are stupid enough to get in trouble like this again. So this may be the only shot at breaking the players here. So I want to discuss possible ways that they COULD get out this.

I already see this as their defense. Misty was practically screaming this in the jailhouse tape, that the UA kept harassing her to get him some and she finally did. That he approached her not her approaching him.
Now Entrapment states that the person would not have committed the illegal act if LE had not caused them to.

This will be a lesson in not bashing on my part. :floorlaugh:

Honestly, who is going to believe Misty when she goes to court and says she was harassed into buying drugs? She isn't an honest person. :angel:

On a more serious note, looking at the UC videos, she doesn't appear to have a gun pointed at her head either.

You are right Kim, however the burden lies on the prosecution, and I beleive that they have to show that she approached them, but I am not sure. I'm a mother of 3 not a lawyer but I think thats how it works.

You are right Kim, however the burden lies on the prosecution, and I beleive that they have to show that she approached them, but I am not sure. I'm a mother of 3 not a lawyer but I think thats how it works.

We need an attorney in Haleigh's forum! The law isn't my forte either.

I don't know about walking away from these charges, but I do think they'll get knocked way down, & called something else. I haven't seen any kind of record for Misty, & Ron seems to have gotten out of his earlier charges, so, it looks like they'll walk into court with clean slates. & if they can each find a jury that doesn't watch the news, they might even feel sorry for them. I'm not questioning LE'S motivation or Florida law, but from what I've read on this drug case, I tend to lean towards entrapment. But I'm sure LE is ready to prove their case, so I'll just wait & see.

This may seem stupid, but I hope neither of them try to use the "Haleigh" card. Like they had to resort to selling drugs to raise money to look for her. I have not watched all the videos, and I have certainly not read all the threads, and I don't know how the law works, (so basically my posts are useless :) ), but it was the first thing that came into my head when thinking of ways they would try to explain/get off of any charges..

Edit to add-- Misty has already seemed to go that way, with her saying that she was only arrested in hopes that she would give up information on Haleigh. (paraphrasing)

UC's are used all the time. It's not entrapment. Ron and Co. want you to believe that they are "special" and therefore common police procedure should not be used on them, lol, but I don't think that's gonna werk this time.

Tommy has already filled us in on this part. Misty came to him to get some pills for some guy, and that's why Tommy was busted. Misty and Ron seemed equally involved in the car videos. Ron's culpability comes in him explaining that he doesn't want the UC to tell anyone he's dealing drugs because of his daughter. Legally, that is not entrapment; that's called stupidity on any level. Ron's ego took him down, plain and simple. It was another way to make money without working, and we know he's drawn to that like bees to honey.

Misty and Tommy have already admitted the deals on tape. Ron is clearly dealing in the one tape we see. I don't think they will get off, I do think they will get less time than we would like. But I see them all going to prison for some time, that is; if there is a God in this Universe.

He's actually counting out pills in one of those clips. "one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.........."

I don't believe they will get out of these charges, but they will get some charges dropped probally to a lessor charges :rolleyes:

Misty does not have a record to my knowledge so it is a first time offense, Ron on the other hand has had numerous issues all in which were either pled down or dismissed this is not his first rodeo with LE and drugs so good luck there Ronny.

Tommy, is well .... he needs some tall boots to wade through his stuff so I am not so sure about him he was already out on bond when he got picked up.

Donna I think will be the one to get the lessor time out of all of them unless she is proved to be a supplier, I also think she will be the one singing as much as she can I do not see her as being one to keep her mouth shut.

They all are going to do time I just don't know how much, they will not be walking away from any of this in mho....

There is no way they are going to prove entrapment here, Misty can whine all she want's. She is not very credible and it is not like he made her do it she had a choice to either do it or not, they all did. In what we had seen of these videos she looked pretty chummy with the UA especially when Ronny boy wasn't in the vehicle...all I can say is good luck to them all and lets hope somewhere in this mess it will lead to Haleigh...

One more thing did you all notice that other guy sitting in the back seat with Ronny ..I wonder who that is ? :waitasec: The clip was so short I could not make out his face

UC's are used all the time. It's not entrapment. Ron and Co. want you to believe that they are "special" and therefore common police procedure should not be used on them, lol, but I don't think that's gonna werk this time.

You are absolutely correct. Doesn't matter who approached whom, the deals were done, they have it on tape, not just once but several times. There is no way it won't hold up in court.
It's like when they use an undercover "hooker" to bust a guy for solicitation. The UC approaches him... but he is the one that goes to jail. He took the bait.

In criminal law, entrapment is when a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit an offense which the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.

personally i think the key here is "induces a person to commit an offense which the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit".

ask me to go get you some roxies and i dont' care who you are or how many times you ask, the answer is no. mainly because i don't even know what they are or where i would begin to look for them. so just the fact that they knew how and where tells me they would have done it anyway. as for the guy continuing to approach her, there is this little thing we have these days called the ignore button on the phone and "tell them i ain't home" when they come to the door if you really don't want to be bothered. so i don't see a good defense here. but that could just be the old woman coming out in me.

IMO, Ronald and Misty were caught on video and cannot deny what is on the video. I agree that they will most likely not do as much time as we would like to see them do, tho. I also do not see how any drug transactions caught on video could be dropped.

There are sentencing guidelines in place. The judge cannot just ignore them. As there is a mandatory minimum, the judge will have to follow it, IMO.

I think Tommy will get off pretty light; I think RC will do some time; and unless Misty tells them what happened February 9, 2009, she's going to do time also.

IMO, Misty has all the bargaining power. Even so, I'm not sure it's enough to get her completely out of the charges.

I think LE knew for a long time that Ron and Misty (and gang) were selling drugs, hence, the sting. Stings are used all of the time. Geez, if this was a Federal sting there would have been undercover deals taped for years. (No kidding, years!)

Jail time yes, how much, I don't know, not enough to make all of us happy probably.

Entrapment will never be mentioned except by Ron and Misty themselves. The tapes are there, the actions happened. They did it, they were caught.

It is very possible LE also has evidence of other selling - film and/or statements from snitches. They have been planning and gathering info for awhile so I just feel there is more than we know. JMO

It is very possible LE also has evidence of other selling - film and/or statements from snitches. They have been planning and gathering info for awhile so I just feel there is more than we know. JMO

LE has said they received a tip about the dealing - this is what started the ball rolling per LE's comments. By the way Misty is yapping to cover herself, LE probably has plenty of first hand accounts, not that they will need them with video and audio already in hand. Add in the jailhouse tapes and I agree, there is also a room full of binders, videos, and other documents which we only know the room exists. These folks are caught with all their hands in the cookie jar.

If there are manditory minimum sentances by law, then those have to be followed, I would think. I think there are too many "people" watching to see what happens, that they won't get off too easy. Maybe the minimum.

I don't think the videos are as much of a problem as the snitch. In an earlier tape Misty tells her mother she did it because J asked her to. Then in the later tape we hear that allegedly there may have been some sort of a deal made to J on charges he was facing. While these methods can be effective there is also a high risk depending on the jury that someone is going to have a real gripe with certain police tactics or Government as a whole. And, if what Misty said is true, and J at any time was the go to person for the drugs, I see the risk in a jury trial for the prosecution. This wasn't a 20K or 30K bust. Eight sales with a total street value of $3,900 is not big. And from the appearances of these two they were cutting into the profits by indulging in their product line.

I truly do not believe these people were dealing at this level for which they are charged in general . They were small time and spread the drugs around as they were able to get them. I do think they got a little greedy once this UC was introduced and drugs and money were abundant. We certainly are not going to see long sentences for any of the players in this case IMO. Both have no criminal background. LE wanted R & M over Haleigh. This intricate plan was to get Ronald and Misty behind bars to put the heat on them because they were flaunting the fact that they had gotten away with having a child go missing and they went on with their own lives like she never mattered. I also don't think LE will get Misty to talk. She has been on the streets too long and does not trust nor does she respect the law. Ronald respects no one and certainly not the law.

I believe it would have to be a third party that gets that one piece that is needed. Be it a snitch in jail, or LP or her father. Someone else is going to push the right button. Misty thinks after the fact and not in the moment. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back