685 users online (103 members and 582 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TX - Paul Harrison, 27, Fort Worth, Dec 2003

My brother Paul has been missing since '03, I was brought to this website because there was discussion that an identified body might be him. The case number is U0504002, http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/Un...sp?id=U0504002. I contacted the police department. They have not gotten back with me. Does anyone know how accurate these bust are? Because the eyes are a match but the nose is way off.
    Last edited by Cubby; 05-24-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Snufamonbobball is offline But O for the touch of the vanished hand & the sound of the voice that is still.
    Hi Beckah,

Welcome to Websleuths. Sorry it's under these circumstances, but in regard to your question about the accuracy of forensic busts, generally speaking, the nose- specifically the tip- are the hardest to get accurate.

Scroll down to: Technique For Creating A Three- Dimensional Clay Reconstruction: section and it gives a detailed look at how the nose is determined in reconstructions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forensi...reconstruction

I hope the information helps a little and I'll keep your brother in mind while I go through cyberspace.

By the way, I agree with CarlK's post (the next one) that this probably isn't your brother, based not only on the bust, but also because of the demographics.

Snufamobobball
    Last edited by KateB; 04-28-2015 at 09:24 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    The more I get to know some people, the more I like my cats!

The following Porchlight USA link illustrates the comparisons between many forensic busts/sketches and the real persons that they were supposed to depict.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Porchlig...?showforum=140

As you can see, some are close, and some are way off.

Generally when the busts are based on skeletal, they are fairly close with respect to facial structures (i.e., cheekbones, jawlines, chins, etc.), but not necesarily close with respect to the overall appearance.

As for this comparison between your brother and the UID, I would doubt that they are the same person. The artist had to have some basis for depicting the decedent with the strong cheeks, squared jaw and prominent browline, and large nose (none of which are apparent with your brother).

U0504002.jpgharrison_paul.jpg

Also, the age range for the UID (35 to 55) is much higher than your brother's age (27) when he dissappeared. Usually for the 35 to 55 year age range, the estimate is based (among other things) on cranial sutures which become significantly fused by the age of 35. The skull bones are not significantly fused together at the age of 27.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 02-19-2010 at 12:03 PM.

thanks

Thanks you guys for your imput. I had the police department take my DNA eventhough they already have my parents. I asked them to check this out. It turns out they don't check the DNA of all missing persons against unidentified bodies. He's just been gone for so long that this is almost our family's last hope of any closure.

Quote Originally Posted by beckah View Post
    Thanks you guys for your imput. I had the police department take my DNA eventhough they already have my parents. I asked them to check this out. It turns out they don't check the DNA of all missing persons against unidentified bodies. He's just been gone for so long that this is almost our family's last hope of any closure.
    What they will probably do is put your DNA profile, and that of your parents is create a DNA profile and put it into a system called CODIS, which will automatically compare the profiles to a large database of DNA profiles for unidentified bodies nationwide. CODIS does with DNA what AFIS (the national fingerprint database) does with fingerprints.

Unfortunately, not all unidentified bodies are in CODIS, but it will certainly increase the chances that a match will eventually be made.

Codis

Do you know what would qualify an unidentified body to be posted on the CODIS?

Do you know what would qualify an unidentified body to be posted on the CODIS?
    I don't know that there are certain criteria other than the degree of ambition and workload present at the coroner's office that is handling the case. There are thousands of old cases prior to DNA technology where they would have to exhume the body (if it still exists) to obtain a DNA profile. Some agencies are doing this with their old cold cases, and some still have not. In my discussion a couple of days ago with the Cococino County AZ Sheriff's invstigator who was dealing with the 1982 Valentine Sally case, he said that he just recently found a still existing blood swatch from which he was able to get a DNA profile and put the case into CODIS. Another investigator in New York that I spoke with was just recently able to find the victim's fingernails from which he was able to obtain DNA profiles on both the victim and the presumed murderer. He can now put those profiles in CODIS and someday, maybe the victim's family will submit a profile, or the perp will be arrested on some unrelated charge and be forced to submit a DNA profile, and CODIS will automatically find the match.

Also, some states (e.g., California) now require that missing persons and unidentified decedents be immediately entered into the NCIC crime database. I am not sure if that includes a requirement to put an unidentified decedent's DNA profile in CODIS.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 02-19-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Snufamonbobball is offline But O for the touch of the vanished hand & the sound of the voice that is still.
    I was hoping the decedent would be in NamUs, and he is- but the DNA section doesn't say if his DNA is entered, available, tests not complete, or not available.

Here's the NamUs file, it does have his dentals in the file however. If your brother's dentals are available or even if you know if he has fillings he could be excluded quickly. The decedent has no fillings, he's missing a few front teeth postmortem and 1 molar is absent antemortem, but no restorations to any other teeth.

https://identifyus.org/cases/3222

Thank you,
    I don't know if this will help in finding paul but he left with a truck driver in Ft. Hood TX, he took his bicycle in April. He made it to ft. worth where he was ticketed as a vagerent in June. He then was beat up by another homeless person and was hospitalized. I know this because the prosecutor left messages on my answering maching looking for him that would have been in about the Sept '03 time frame. Nothing has appeared on his credit report. Although I did stop getting letters from his SSI so it appears that he stopped receiving that check sometime in Dec '03/Jan '04. That check was all he had in life. That's why I believe something happened to him in this time frame.

Beckah,

If Paul isn't in NamUs, he should be. NamUs has two sides to it. The Missing Person side, and Unidentified Decedent side.

Paul should be entered. NamUs is the National database for missing and unidentified persons. Here is the link for it. I strongly suggest you enter him. If he ended up in another state, this could help find him.

Please check into this, all you have to do is register to get him added to the MP side. It's very simple, and could help find him. Also, often times other MP websites pick up cases from NamUs. It would also help get him more exposure.

Link to Missing Person side to NamUs:
    https://www.findthemissing.org/

Link to Unidentified Decedent side of NamUs:
    https://identifyus.org/
    Last edited by Snufamonbobball; 02-19-2010 at 05:59 PM.

thanks

I am fairly sure that I have regeristered him everywhere I could find to do so but will check to make sure he's on there.

I am fairly sure that I have regeristered him everywhere I could find to do so but will check to make sure he's on there.
    I did a search on the name Paul Harrison, and nothing came up.

NamUs

that's weird because I doubled checked to make sure that posted him on there and he comes up when I type in my user name and look at my cases. The police said they would get back with me last week on the dna results of the unidentified person. They have yet to get back with me. I know it takes a lot longer than they show on tv but it should only take a couple of weeks, don't ya think?

that's weird because I doubled checked to make sure that posted him on there and he comes up when I type in my user name and look at my cases. The police said they would get back with me last week on the dna results of the unidentified person. They have yet to get back with me. I know it takes a lot longer than they show on tv but it should only take a couple of weeks, don't ya think?
    If they are using the Univ of North Texas to do DNA, it will take months, possibly even more than a year. They have a huge backlog.

Paul's body has been identified. I'm not sure if it was one of the Doe's talked about here.

Harrison, 27, disappeared from Fort Worth, Texas on April 1, 2003. On December 31, his body was found floating in Lady Bird Lake in Austin, Texas. He had been dead for about five days. He wasn't identified until April 2010. Harrison's death remains under investigation. Authorities believe he may have been murdered.

http://www.charleyproject.org/resolved.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast