UT - Man accused of abusing 24-day-old son

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
A 22-year-old Logan man was booked into Cache County Jail on Thursday for investigation of two counts of child abuse.

The charges against Jonathan J. Monsen stem from injuries sustained by his infant son, said Logan City Police Capt. Jeff Curtis.

Police say the 24-day-old boy was taken to Primary Children Medical Center on Jan. 13 with head injuries, two broken legs and a broken rib.

X-rays revealed the child had two other ribs that had been broken but were healing.

Logan detectives interviewed Monsen several times prior to his arrest, and he "did make disclosures," Curtis said.

The child is expected to survive and is now out of the hospital. The abuse was reported to Logan Police by the state Division of Child and Family Services, which was notified by Primary Children's after the child was admitted.

more here

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700010383/Man-accused-of-abusing-son.html

==========

According to police reports, the injuries were caused in two separate incidents.

The child was released from the hospital into his mother's custody.

http://connect2utah.com/content/fulltext/?cid=76591

Prayers for this little baby that he recovers fully & his mom keeps him safe.

I just don't understand why so many 'dads' are beating on their newborns. :mad:

It seems like there have been just so many severely abused and murdered babies in the past week or so.

Praying for this little one.

Thank you for letting us know about this little angel, Texas Mist. I appreciate all your hard work here.

I want to know why the child was given back to the mother? 24-days old? Why didn't mom report this? Why didn't mom take the baby to the doc after the first incident? Where the heck was mom? This is a tiny infant - mom didn't have a clue that something was wrong here?????????

Salem

it must make him feel like a real tough guy beating on a 15 pound or so baby........

What kind of friggin look is this :furious: He looks very pleased with himself...Give me 5 mins with him and that smirk would be gone :furious:

2News___Your_Desk_Morning__Fri__Feb__19__201078.jpg

What kind of friggin look is this :furious: He looks very pleased with himself...Give me 5 mins with him and that smirk would be gone :furious:

his last name is actually spelled 'm-o-n-s-t-e-r' not monsen

How could you even do this? If you think about it - raise your hand to a 1-month old??? How could your mind even begin to make your hand obey? I don't get it... I just don't get it. What goes on inside people that they look at a defenseless, helpless infant and choose to harm?

Personally - I think there is something wrong with the 's synapsis (Sp?) process - something has to be misfiring. Jiminey - the thought literally makes me sick to my stomach.

Salem

Poor baby. Didn't even make it to a month old without being abused.

(((((((sigh)))))))

I'll help hold him down for ya.:furious:

Just what in the :furious: is going on lately????? Why are all these teeny babies being abused like this? :(

Remember our little guy a couple of months ago who had something like 22 broken bones? The point was made about just how much force it took to break a newborn's bones due to their pliability for the birth birth process.

I agree that it seems like we've been seeing lots of murdered and broken babies in the last month. I've got a couple of theories. We know that Seasonal Affective Disorder is the worst in January, February, and March. We know that unemployment is soaring. I wonder if people are naturally depressed, stressed more because of their loss of employment, don't have the funds to buy their meds if they use them, and are drinking and self-medicating to take the edge off? That's a nasty stew to inject an infant into. Never an excuse for abuse...nope...not a single one on the books. But some insight into what could be going wrong.

I also wonder if there's any correlation with the lowering numbers of babies lost to SIDS. Of course, the keeping babies on their backs has been a remarkable success. I just wonder how many babies in decades past, were actually murdered and reported as a SIDS death. Our forensics abilities have improved to a huge degree. I think LE and DHS are catching a lot of injuries that might have gone unreported in the past. Mandated reporting might even have an impact.

I am very confused about why this mom would be allowed to have custody of this little guy if mom and dad were living together. She should have spotted something. If she was bonding with and feeding her baby, how could she not note his pain? If she failed to notice these injuries, I don't trust her judgement now.

mz iz i love ya but sometimes you can not explain the unexplainable.

some people are just evil......they dont need to be unemployed/unmedicated/drunk/on drugs to do what they do.

that photo of him screams 'yeah i did it, so what?"

kbl--Do you honestly believe that a guy gets up in the morning and says, "Yeah, let's see how many bones I can break in the baby today?" Really?

I know there are serial killers who fantasize about this very scenario but do really think the growing tide of male and female baby abusers are really those people?

You can't concede that some people literally cannot deal with the incredible stress an infant brings into your life while also grappling with their own shortcomings and narcissism?

I think there's a vast difference between someone who goes out and gathers dogs and cats to mutilate them and torture them and with someone who strikes out in foolish rage at the pets around the home when they themselves are miserable. Both acts are evil but a very sick person set up the first crime. The second crime evolved organically to a point of no return. I see a difference.

I guess I have to hold on to more hope for humanity.

kbl--I also need to point out that most three week old babies only weight 7-10 pounds. This would compare to about a six month old cat as far as weight, body mass and bone strength and pliability.

I know, even more vile. With that I agree.

kbl--Do honestly believe that a guy gets up in the morning and says, "Yeah, let's see how many bones I can break in the baby today?" Really?

I know there are serial killers who fantasize about this very scenario but do really think the growing tide of male and female baby abusers are really those people?

You can't concede that some people literally cannot deal with the incredible stress an infant brings into your life while also grappling with their own shortcomings and narcissism?

I think there's a vast difference between someone who goes out and gathers dogs and cats to mutilate them and torture them and with someone who strikes out in foolish rage at the pets around the home when they themselves are miserable. Both acts are evil but a very sick person set up the first crime. The second crime evolved organically to a point of no return. I see a difference.

I guess I have to hold on to more hope for humanity.

with all due respect, this guy didnt just smack the baby once cause he wouldnt stop crying. he beat him at least twice, and probably more. that is something that cannot, and will not, ever be excused away by me for any reason. you know why? cause that attidue gets perps like him light sentences, and 5 years from now, we'll be sitting here hearing how he beat his infat daughter to death, and say 'why didnt the judge throw the book at him back then?'

when you beat a baby like that, its cause you have it in you to do it in the first place.

kbl--Surely you are not thinking that I excuse this guy? Excuse???? No, I abhor this man. He has committed an evil act and I want him to pay big time. I just don't agree that he set out to be evil. I think that he wasn't bonded with this child, that he put his own needs and wants first, that he showed total disregard for a little person's pain. He needs to pay.

I'm merely trying to figure out the precursors here as I'd like to save other little ones this fate.

kbl--You and I "live" on the same page. We're just in different paragraphs. We'd make a great "good cop/bad cop team". I can see us now. Our arguments in the squad car or county SUV would be legendary.

In case you couldn't figure it out, I get to play "good cop". You wouldn't want that role, anyway, would you?

I know I've said this before, but I don't see how the human race can continue.

There s/b special conditions for beating defenseless babies that get the monsters locked up *forever* -- so they can't get out to hurt anybody, ever again!!

I can't even begin to imagine what's in someone's brain that could cause them to beat newborns.

kbl--Surely you are not thinking that I excuse this guy? Excuse???? No, I abhor this man. He has committed an evil act and I want him to pay big time. I just don't agree that he set out to be evil. I think that he wasn't bonded with this child, that he put his own needs and wants first, that he showed total disregard for a little person's pain. He needs to pay.

I'm merely trying to figure out the precursors here as I'd like to save other little ones this fate.

kbl--You and I "live" on the same page. We're just in different paragraphs. We'd make a great "good cop/bad cop team". I can see us now. Our arguments in the squad car or county SUV would be legendary.

In case you couldn't figure it out, I get to play "good cop". You wouldn't want that role, anyway, would you?

how about bad cop (you) worse cop (me) ;)

i wouldnt make a good cop or lawyer at all.

i let my passions control me as you can tell............

What a and that babys egg donor is as big a .When a mother sits back and allows abuse of a child she should be held with the same accountability.Both should be locked up and the key tossed in the ocean.What surprises me is hows mom's get to play the innocent card and get outta jail free cards.I am very surprised these parents never get shot by family members.

how about bad cop (you) worse cop (me) ;)

i wouldnt make a good cop or lawyer at all.

i let my passions control me as you can tell............

If I was a cop like these wouldn't make it to a safe jail cell.They would need ICU ward in the hospital for resisting arrest.:angel:

What is causing all of this? Are strong radioactive waves from cell phones frying their brains? Is it rampant use of drugs? There has to be something to do to stop this insanity!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back