Identified! WA - Toledo, Skeletal remains found in field, Feb'10 - Travis Seeber

I see the speculation on Lindsey Baum....how about Susan Powell? I wonder if hubby passed through on the way to his dad's house??

I cannot imagine the trauma of the poor little 8 year old.

I never want to see any of the missing found deceased, but I hope this is someone that is already known to be missing and being searched for so there can be some closure.

ummmmm there's quite a diffrence in age between lindsey and susan

I would think it would be easy to visually determine if remains were those of a child, and I imagine the article would mention it if they were. If this is an adult, there's a possibility it might be Nancy Moyer, missing from Tenino (30 or 40 miles away) -- here is her thread:

WA WA-HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS Nancy Moyer, 36, Tenino - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Sad for everyone involved, but I hope a family will tonight have closure.

Per the link in the first post (the article is presently showing it was updated at 6:27pm PST), the remains appear to have been there for 1-2 years, and do not appear to be those of a child. They believe they are more likely male than female, but nothing is certain yet.

They do mention a car having been found abandoned in the vicinity during the 1-2 year time period, but say they will have a forensic pathologist examine the bones before speculating on the individual's identity. The remains are also said to have been disturbed by animals in the area.

Sheriff’s Office Says Skeletal Remains Belong to an Adult
NO IDENTITY: Remains Found by Boy to Be Analyzed; Investigators Comb Area For Clues

Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 10:39 pm | Updated: 10:43 pm, Fri Feb 19, 2010.

By The Chronicle | 0 comments

The skeletal remains found outside Toledo Thursday belong to an adult and were in an advanced state of decomposition, Lewis County Sheriff’s Office Chief Criminal Deputy Gene Seiber said Friday.

Cadaver dogs from Pierce County scoured the scene throughout the day Friday as Lewis County detectives searched for additional evidence.

The remains were taken from the scene, though it wasn’t clear as of press time where they were taken.

An 8-year-old boy found the remains — described as “partial” by a sheriff’s office spokesman — along a clearcut off the 100 block of Cougar Lane Thursday afternoon.

The rural, wooded area along the Cowlitz River was blocked off by investigators Friday as search teams looked for more clues.

“He was out there playing and said ‘Hey, look what I found,’”

http://www.chronline.com/news/article_db1e36dc-1dea-11df-a204-001cc4c002e0.html

8-year-old boy finds human remains near Cowlitz River

SNIPPED++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There are 100 acres here, and animals had disturbed the remains, police said.

A preliminary investigation has found that the bones appeared to have been in the area for one to two years.
A car was found abandoned in the area during that time. But police are being cautious.

"We are not speculating on who this person may be until we can get a forensic pathologist to look at the bones, analyze them and try to ID the person," Brown said.

http://www.komonews.com/news/84777457.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011162059_apwaboyfindsbody.html
Investigators close to identifying Toledo body
TOLEDO, Wash. — The Lewis County sheriff's office says investigators believe they know the identity of a man whose skeletal remains were found Feb. 18 by a boy playing outside near Toledo. The coroner's office is using a forensic anthropologist to help make a positive identification. The sheriff's office says the death does not appear to be the result of a crime.

bump. Any new info on whether these remains were ever id'd? The above post indicates investigators were close to making a positive id almost a year ago yet I can find no updates.

anyone? tia

It would make sense for these remains to be Nathan Richard Hiatt. He disappeared in 2007 during a bad flood and I've read that the creek he is thought to have fallen into eventually drains into the Cowlitz River. (http://www.winlockwa.govoffice2.com...ds/{25355772-5F6D-4D57-9E9A-D30C817C795A}.PDF and search for "Waller Creek")
Some were spending Wednesday looking for the lost. In the Lewis County town of Winlock, a dive team planned to search normally tiny Wallers Creek for Richard Hiatt, 81, believed to have been swept away when a bank gave out from underneath him.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314821,00.html#ixzz1ACb88t5L
WS thread WA WA - Richard Hiatt, 80, Winlock, 3 Dec 2007 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The more exact location:

TOLEDO, Wash. - An 8-year-old boy came upon human remains while playing in a brushy area near the Cowlitz River on Thursday afternoon.

The grisly discovery was made around 3:30 p.m. Thursday in the 100 block of Cougar Lane, Lewis County sheriff's deputies said.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/84777457.html

The sheriff has this to say:

Identity of Skeletal Remains Not Confirmed - Released 02/23/10 @ 0830 Hours

Positive identification of the skeletal remains found in Lewis County last week has not been made at this time. The Sheriff’s Office is currently working with the Lewis County Coroner’s office to identify the human remains utilizing a forensic anthropologist.

Detectives located physical evidence at the scene leading them to believe they may know the identity of the deceased; however, further investigation is needed to confirm the identity.

The remains belong to an adult male. There does not appear to be foul play at this time.

Further release(s) will be forthcoming once the body is identified.

No further releases so far which might mean they haven't identified him yet or it might not.

So I found a blog thing talking about the circumstances under which Travis Seeber went missing.

Am I allowed to post it? There is a lot of "heresay" in the comments section, along with what was said on the news at the time of his disappearance..

If I can't post it I'll just give a quick summary:
The family thinks that foul play was involved.

If I can't post it I'll just give a quick summary:
The family thinks that foul play was involved.

I searched for his name and one of the things that came up was a Topix page. I know it's not the most trustworthy forum, so I took a look just to see what it said. It's usually just a place to spread gossip and the like, so I wasn't expecting anything "good."

But there is a post by someone claiming to be Seeber's cousin on 3/2/2010, which was shortly after the remains were found, ID'ing the remains as Seeber's and that he died as a result of a love triangle.

I found it strange that someone "knew" who this was YEARS before the authorities did and suspected foul play. Now the police have identified his remains and claim no foul play was involved.
Again, Topix is a "free-for-all" forum that anybody can (pretty much anonymously) get on and say anything. But no matter how much a bit of "local gossip" this may be, it is way too big of a coincidence to NOT be looked into.

I searched for his name and one of the things that came up was a Topix page. I know it's not the most trustworthy forum, so I took a look just to see what it said. It's usually just a place to spread gossip and the like, so I wasn't expecting anything "good."

But there is a post by someone claiming to be Seeber's cousin on 3/2/2010, which was shortly after the remains were found, ID'ing the remains as Seeber's and that he died as a result of a love triangle.

I found it strange that someone "knew" who this was YEARS before the authorities did and suspected foul play. Now the police have identified his remains and claim no foul play was involved.
Again, Topix is a "free-for-all" forum that anybody can (pretty much anonymously) get on and say anything. But no matter how much a bit of "local gossip" this may be, it is way too big of a coincidence to NOT be looked into.

Well remember that when the body was found it was found within a mile of the missing persons car. Everyone already pretty much knew it was him a long time ago, I think that the cops probably told the family that the body was probably his, it might have taken a while because they were already so sure that the DNA testing wasn't considered "Urgent" OR they were trying to find someone who was directly related (Brother/sister/parent) but for the longest time could only find cousins or the like.

This story talks about how he was really messed up on meth.

He likely committed suicide as they found a gun. When he went missing, he'd just assaulted a babysitter.

http://tdn.com/mobile/article_6b4f7672-abb3-11e2-8fac-0019bb2963f4.html

One of those witnesses, whose wife was good friends with Seeber’s girlfriend, told police that he believed Seeber had committed suicide to avoid returning to prison.

According to one officer’s report, “...Travis had told him in the past that he would never go back to prison.” The witness’s “belief was that Travis screwed up and that’s the reason why he killed himself.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back