1794 users online (326 members and 1468 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

toddler, woman killed by pit bulls

A 38-year-old Philadelphia woman was killed Saturday morning by her family’s pit bulls terriers, My Fox Philly reported - only hours before a toddler was killed in Florida, apparently by the same breed.

http://www.news.com.au/world/us-todd...-1225832716560

I took up for the pit bull in the pet thread, now I'm not so sure. My neighbors across the street have two. I've never had any problem with them and have even petted one while the owner was with me. Last week I went out to get my mail, and their three year old daughter had let the dogs out the front door. The both went for me. Luckily, I got in the house and shut the door before they hit the front porch. One banged her head against my front door. Both were growling and barking. I'm afraid to go out the front door now, much less let my dog out into our fenced backyard. These dogs were determined, and a three foot chain link fence isn't going to hold them back.

I still don't blame the dogs in the stories. In the first one, the dogs thought their owner needed them. She and her daughter were arguing and they probably thought she was being threatened. In the case of the toddler, tragic as it is, the parents should never have left her alone with so many dogs on the property unless they were more secure where she couldn't get to them. I feel for the families of both victims.
    Happy New Years

1st mistake...........5-6 pits together is a PACK............PACK MENTALITY!
    2nd mistake was arguing ..............PROTECTION MODE
    3rd mistake.............what where the pits used to? fighting??? just to many dogs!
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

mikeysmommom is offline "A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty...."
    Quote Originally Posted by passionflower View Post
    1st mistake...........5-6 pits together is a PACK............PACK MENTALITY!
    2nd mistake was arguing ..............PROTECTION MODE
    3rd mistake.............what where the pits used to? fighting??? just to many dogs!
    You are right, I had 5 Rottweilers never had a problem because I was leader of the pack and they knew it.People should not have more then 1 dog if they do not know how to train them.Also when people get into fights in front of dogs who love and protect their human family they will try to protect the smaller less threatening person.I wound up with 5 because I felt my first one Misty was such a terrific dog and brought us so much joy and was a perfect Rottie I wanted to breed her.Then i got her a husband lol , and she had 3 litters and i kept a puppy from each litter.Sadly they all are in doggy heaven and I just have 1 now.They all lived long happy lives and never bit anyone.If I didnt have a bad back and leg problems I would have mated my baby just to keep the line alive longer.
    I Love You MOM 6/16/32 - 5/30/09

Justice for Travis 5/8/13

Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to Life - Sentenced 6/17/11

Justice Denied for Caylee Marie Anthony
    July 5,2011

mikeysmommom is offline "A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty...."
    That poor child should never have been able to access that pen a $5.00 lock on the pens gate would have prevented her death.When you have multiple dogs you have to remember that more then really 1 dog and they will act together in a pack even a small dogs when you have more then 1 can be dangerous esp to a child.

Justice For Emma

July 5,2011

How many people have to die before there is a federal law against owning these killers? OK, how about people just not owning any of these animals!

I say muzzle them if they are outside. I would never own this breed of dog and I would never allow my children or loved ones around them period

Quote Originally Posted by RayStar View Post
    How many people have to die before there is a federal law against owning these killers? OK, how about people just not owning any of these animals!

Why should people who are responsible owner's be denied to have an animal they want,But more importantly why should hundreds of thousands of beautiful animals have to be destroyed?Killing them all is not the answer IMO what makes more sense is if you are going to have 2 or more dogs of any Breed It should be a law you have to attend Responsible dog ownership classes.Because it seems a lot of owners lack common sense.Profiling a dog because of it's breed is asinine IMO and will not stop the problem.Labs have killed children , so have beagles, so have dachshunds,the list goes on and on.Should they all be exterminated?

Justice For Emma

July 5,2011

Quote Originally Posted by RayStar View Post
    A Federal Law is needed to mandate Children"s Protective Services.They kill more Children per year then all dogs put together.

Justice For Emma

July 5,2011

Not too many years ago, a boy in my neck of the woods was mauled by his neighbors pitbulls. He went to call on his friend who lived there, had been there many times before and surprise, surprise, the dogs attacked him and bit another friend too who was hurt less severly. The boy lived, thank God, but was hospitalized a long time and is very, very lucky considering the injuries he had.

There's no way around the FACT that some breeds are more prone to aggression than other breeds. It doesn't mean there can't be nice ones but in general I would not trust them.
    Last edited by Woe.be.gone; 02-21-2010 at 02:23 PM.

That many pits should not be allowed in one home. Period. (And I defend pits, generally speaking.) But they are pack driven animals and if they aren't raised perfectly, they will challenge the pack leader.
    They should not be chained, caged, or locked up for more than a few hours at a time. They are herding animals, they need to run. Like I said down in pets, most stories like this involve getting too close to the chained pit or after spending the day inside with the dogs.
    My pit mix runs most of the day, he's not aggressive and a great companion for my kids. If I lost the room that I have to let him run, I would not have a pit anymore.
    Moo.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeysmommom View Post
    Why should people who are responsible owner's be denied to have an animal they want,But more importantly why should hundreds of thousands of beautiful animals have to be destroyed?Killing them all is not the answer IMO what makes more sense is if you are going to have 2 or more dogs of any Breed It should be a law you have to attend Responsible dog ownership classes.Because it seems a lot of owners lack common sense.Profiling a dog because of it's breed is asinine IMO and will not stop the problem.Labs have killed children , so have beagles, so have dachshunds,the list goes on and on.Should they all be exterminated?
    Play Russian roulette if you want too - but why are the dogs broken down into groups; sporting, hunting, toy, guard, etc. The breeding is in them. Also it's a numbers game - they are prone to certain behaviors - doesn't mean every single dog will be viscious. What's not to understand?

Labs, for instance, don't usually 'attack'. Can they bite? Sure.
    Last edited by Woe.be.gone; 02-21-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woe.be.gone View Post
    Play Russian roulette if you want too - but why are the dogs broken down into groups; sporting, hunting, toy, guard, etc. The breeding is in them. Also it's a numbers game - they are prone to certain behaviors - doesn't mean every single dog will be viscious. What's not to understand?

Labs, for instance, don't usually 'attack'. Can they bite? Sure.
    German shepherds attack... a lot. But they are also service dogs, drug dogs...

As for groupings, the actual group for pit bulls is herder/work dog. So, should we put down all dogs raised for herding?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeysmommom View Post
    I can't remember the last time I read of a dachshund mauling a toddler to death, or a beagle killing a grown woman.
    .... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast