Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC - Chapel Hill, WhtFem 558UFNC, 15-25, Pink Sweatshirt w/Bunnies, Sep'90

NC - Chapel Hill, WhtFem 558UFNC, 15-25, Pink Sweatshirt w/Bunnies, Sep'90

The Doe Network:
    Case File 558UFNC
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/558ufnc.html

Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on September 19, 1990 in Orange County, North Carolina
    Estimated Date of Death: 4-6 Days Prior to Discovery
    State of Remains: Decomposing
    Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 15-25 years old, (likely 20 +/- 2)
    Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3"; 105-115 lbs
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Strawberry blonde hair, appeared to be layer cut to about shoulder length, possibly frosted; unknown eye color. 3" scar on lower right quadrant (no appendix).
    Dentals: X-rays available. Wisdom teeth unerupted; teeth #s 3, 14, 19, had amalgam restorations; teeth #23-26 tilted to the lingual, and tooth #28 was in a lingual crossbite. Caries on 2, 15, 18.
    Clothing: Pink sweatshirt with three bunnies on the front (2 bunnies on bicycles, one on a unicycle), brand name of "Sportswear"; size 34 (A, B, C cup) bra, brand name of "Warner"; pair white anklet socks, very clean on the bottom; thin yellow metal ring on left ring finger, and a thin twisted metal bracelet on left wrist. Shoe size approximately 6-6 1/2.
    Fingerprints: Not available
    X-rays: Multiple body xrays available. No signs of previous fractures, no signs of ever giving birth.
    DNA: Complete - Unable to obtain profile

Ring, Bracelet, Emblem on sweatshirt.

Case History
    The victim was located by a clean up crew along Interstate 40 approximately 15 feet down an embankment, east of the New Hope Church Road exit.
    She may have been last seen alive walking along I-85 near N.C. 62 near the Ramada Inn.
    Despite intensive investigation and follow-up on hundreds of leads, her identity as well as that of her killer remains a mystery.
    Toxicology negative.

Investigators
    If you have any information about this case please contact:
    Orange County Sheriff's Office
    Tim Horne
    Greg Strowd
    919-644-3050
    You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

NCIC Number:
    U-950019761
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 08-08-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to liveforyou For This Useful Post:

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

Martha Wes Dunn
    http://charleyproject.org/cases/d/dunn_martha.html

Not impossible. The timing is pretty much spot on, and the age is in the right range, although it says the UID is more likely in her 20s. Texas and NC are sort of far apart, but she was a runaway. The thing that struck me was the facial similarity. The weight is probably in the right range. The UID is said to have strawberry blonde hair, but the picture shows dark hair.
    Last edited by liveforyou; 02-23-2010 at 06:12 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liveforyou For This Useful Post:

I posted the exact same comparison that you did at the same time as you. You beat me to it, so I deleted my post.

In my post, I noted that she resembles the first drawing, but not the other two. There is no way of knowing which is accurate.

On second thought, maybe she does look like the third drawing.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 02-23-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Oh good I'm glad someone else guessed this match!
    Yeah, that's what i thought initially, but now that you mention it, I do see Martha in the third composite as well. Plus I forgot to mention that the height pretty much works with the UID.

She had clean socks..clean on the bottom but no shoes? Maybe she was killed at the Ramada Inn near where she was seen? Could have been in the room with no shoes on but anywhere else dosent make sense. Why would a killer remove her shoes? Odd.

Snufamonbobball is offline But O for the touch of the vanished hand & the sound of the voice that is still.
    A lot of semi drivers have their passengers take off their shoes as soon as they get into the truck, or if they go to the sleeper portion of the truck- that's my guess.
    The more I get to know some people, the more I like my cats!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snufamonbobball For This Useful Post:

That does seem really strange. Maybe he took them in case they helped investigators? Or maybe the shoes had his blood on them? I don't know, maybe that's a stretch, but the truck drivers having people take their shoes off is interesting, since Martha was a runaway and may have decided to hitch.

Snufamonbobball is offline But O for the touch of the vanished hand & the sound of the voice that is still.
    I own several semis and every driver I know always has the passengers take off their shoes. Some are more adamant about if they come off right away or if it's only when they go to the sleeper, I can't speak for someone who murders people, but the (hopefully) non psychopathic ones I know, usually have them take shoes off.

All someone has to do then is throw the shoes in a ditch down the road. We've all seen a lone shoe on the side of the road and think "how'd that get there"

I've actually asked my drivers about people they've met on the road and the scariest things they've run across. Some of it is pretty extreme- those guys live in their trucks. They're often more at home in the truck than when they're AT home.
    The more I get to know some people, the more I like my cats!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snufamonbobball For This Useful Post:

http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/yea...ies-cases.html

Published 11 SEP 2010.

This article talks about the UID female of this thread.
    Also mentioned in this article is:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4787549"]NC NC - Mebane - UID Boy - Reconstruction Scultpure - Sept. 1998 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

HTH our sleuths that work so hard to reunite the UID with their families.

Thank you Carlk for assisting me in finding the correct thread!

What do you think on the dentals? I'm not sure - I don't read them at all well but they would seem to indicate a non-match. However the records focus on each individual tooth and damage; the description more on the look, so I can't really say if this is significant.

Incidentally I think Martha looks more like the second drawing from the clay reconstruction, save that the clay looks so ... lifeless. But the shape of the jaw, the cheeks, the eyebrows and to an extent the nose actually matches Martha very well.

Does anyone know of Martha's status in CODIS?

If we can get around the dentals issue, it looks like a great match. The victim appears to have exited a truck (and at the very least been traveling) so distance is not an issue, demographics are not quite perfect but very close.

Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    What do you think on the dentals? I'm not sure - I don't read them at all well but they would seem to indicate a non-match. However the records focus on each individual tooth and damage; the description more on the look, so I can't really say if this is significant.
    The dentals, do seem inconsistent. Martha is said to have "gaps between her teeth" and a "pointed" eyetooth, neither of which is noted in the Jane Doe's NamUs page (although a "pointed eyetooth" may not be something that they would mention).

Jane Doe's dental description includes a lot about fillings and cavities ("caries") that you wouldn't expect to see in most MP descriptions, but it indicates that "teeth #23-26 [are] tilted to the lingual, and tooth #28 was in a lingual crossbite." This means that her four lower front teeth lean toward the tongue, and her lower right canine (#28) overlaps in front of the upper teeth when she bites down.

It is not stated which of Martha's teeth are gapped, or which eyetooth is pointed, but nevertheless I don't think that tilted teeth and bite misalignments would be mis-characterized as "gaps".

Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post

Does anyone know of Martha's status in CODIS?
    Martha's DoeNet page says DNA is "available".

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/286dftx.html

Considering that she is from Texas, that probably means that she is in CODIS, as Texas is pretty good about putting their Missing Persons' DNA in CODIS. On a separate case, I asked the TXDPS analyst whether "DNA Available" means that it is in CODIS, and she said that it means that the University of North Texas has the sample. UNT does utilize CODIS (unlike some other states). Consequently, one can infer that it is (or will be) put into CODIS.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 09-12-2010 at 11:11 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

I found this missing person from Virginia - Hazel Klug. Hazel was 5'3", 117 lbs and would have been about 27 at the time this UID died in Sept 1990. Hazel had strawberry blonde hair and an abdominal scar. there was no DNA info for Hazel.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1100/1/

she does not look that much like the drawings but the three different drawings of the UID themselves don't look like the same person, in my opinion.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

Wow! I was coming here to post Martha Wes Dunn as a possible match and noticed that two other people mentioned her as well. Does anyone know if she has been ruled out as being this UID?

What about Patricia Bernadette Meehan? http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._patricia.html

She got in a car accident on April 20, 1989 in Montana and left the scene disoriented. According to her profile on Charley Project, she is believed to have amnesia and may be hitching rides with truck drivers across the country. I don't know what lead people to believe that, but if so, perhaps she ended up hitching a ride with the wrong truck driver.

She has strawberry blond hair, but she is a good deal older than the estimated age of this Jane Doe -- she was 37.

Did anyone submit Martha Dunn for this UID?

carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    Quote Originally Posted by Skigirl View Post
    What about Patricia Bernadette Meehan? http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._patricia.html

She got in a car accident on April 20, 1989 in Montana and left the scene disoriented. According to her profile on Charley Project, she is believed to have amnesia and may be hitching rides with truck drivers across the country. I don't know what lead people to believe that, but if so, perhaps she ended up hitching a ride with the wrong truck driver.

She has strawberry blond hair, but she is a good deal older than the estimated age of this Jane Doe -- she was 37.
    There have been numerous reported sightings of her from all over the country. Truck drivers who have given her rides, truck stop personnel who saw her eating, etc. I'm not sure how recent the sightings are.

Some of my friends knew her when she lived in Bozeman.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:

the Namus link was not posted here so I found it.:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/2224

my suggestion Hazel Klug has been ruled out but Martha Wes Dunn is not. here are the rule outs:

Gina Brooks 1975 Missouri
    Autumn Cox North Carolina
    Krista De La Rosa 1970 Oregon
    Kimie Eddy 1973 West Virginia
    Janet Glover 1973 Virginia
    Brenda Green 1972 Alabama
    Billie Jean Hall 1960 Maryland
    Diana Hall 1958 Oklahoma
    Gina Hall 1962 Virginia
    Angela Hamby 1962 North Carolina
    Frankie Horsley 1964 North Carolina
    Michelle Jakaitis 1964 Massachusetts
    Patricia Kelly 1958 Tennessee
    Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
    Tracy Kroh 1972 Pennsylvania
    Tammie McCormick 1972 New York
    Helen Miltenberger 1966 Pennsylvania
    Victoria Owczynsky 1973 Minnesota
    Jennifer Pandos 1971 Virginia
    Joann Pogue 1973 Indiana
    Kristina Porco 1970 South Carolina
    Shannon Potter 1970 Maryland
    Sandy Rea 1966 Oklahoma
    Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
    Tiffany Sessions 1968 Florida
    Stephanie Slater Florida
    Angela Smith 1965 Louisiana
    Karen Spencer 1972 Ohio
    Sally Stone 1964 Idaho
    Susan Swedell 1968 Minnesota
    Charlene Villinger 1958 Virginia
    Joyce Walcott 1967 California
    Paulette Webster 1969 Illinois
    Nancy Willis 1961 Tennessee

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    I like Martha Dunn as a possibility. There's something about that first sketch, awkward as it is, that makes me think, "Yeah, that looks like her." And the stats are pretty close.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:

So has Martha Dun's name been submitted?

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood146 View Post
    So has Martha Dun's name been submitted?
    I don't think so.

There's no reason not to submit her again just to be on the safe side.

Hello all: I'm hesitant to post as i'm very new here, but here i go!

I was thinking about other possibilities and this gal isn't on the posted rule out list, unless Madelyn Cox Thomas also goes by Autumn Cox?

Madelyn Cox Thomas (both links refer to her)

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases...ort_html/10842

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3078dfnc.html

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4gwen For This Useful Post:

Hi 4gwen, and welcome to WS.

Aside from her age being a little high, Madelyn does seem pretty close.

The NamUs casefile lists an "Autumn Cox" from NC on the rule-out list, although I don't see anyone named Autumn Cox, either in NamUs, or on my list of MP's. I suspect that this is the same person.

Nevertheless, both Madeline Cox and the UID have Mitochondrial DNA profiles on file in NamUs. So the automated matching system built into NamUs should have triggered a hit if this was a match.

And the NamUs case managers have been receiving so many requests for manual comparisons, that they are now refusing to do them unless requested to do so by law enforcement. The automated comparisons run about once per month, so the presumption is that if there is no hit, it is not a match.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

Hi, 4gwen, and welcome!

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:

I found this about Autumn Cox on a site called ColdCase Files (http://coldcase.posterous.com/unsolv...tanburg-county)

"Autumn Cox was reported missing from Concord NC in February of 1990. Her skeletal remains were found on 07/05/02 behind the old Spartan Undies building at Bond Industrial Park. Possible cause of death is from a stab with an edged object.
    No arrests have been made in the homicide."

If this is accurate, she would seem to be a different woman.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast