Identified! NC - Orange Co, WhtFem 15-25, 558UFNC, pink sweatshirt w/bunnies, Sep'90 - Lisa Coburn Kesler

liveforyou

Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 558UFNC
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/558ufnc.html

558UFNC.jpg
558UFNC1.jpg
558UFNC2.jpg

Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on September 19, 1990 in Orange County, North Carolina
Estimated Date of Death: 4-6 Days Prior to Discovery
State of Remains: Decomposing
Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 15-25 years old, (likely 20 +/- 2)
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3"; 105-115 lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: Strawberry blonde hair, appeared to be layer cut to about shoulder length, possibly frosted; unknown eye color. 3" scar on lower right quadrant (no appendix).
Dentals: X-rays available. Wisdom teeth unerupted; teeth #s 3, 14, 19, had amalgam restorations; teeth #23-26 tilted to the lingual, and tooth #28 was in a lingual crossbite. Caries on 2, 15, 18.
Clothing: Pink sweatshirt with three bunnies on the front (2 bunnies on bicycles, one on a unicycle), brand name of "Sportswear"; size 34 (A, B, C cup) bra, brand name of "Warner"; pair white anklet socks, very clean on the bottom; thin yellow metal ring on left ring finger, and a thin twisted metal bracelet on left wrist. Shoe size approximately 6-6 1/2.
Fingerprints: Not available
X-rays: Multiple body xrays available. No signs of previous fractures, no signs of ever giving birth.
DNA: Complete - Unable to obtain profile

Ring, Bracelet, Emblem on sweatshirt.

Case History
The victim was located by a clean up crew along Interstate 40 approximately 15 feet down an embankment, east of the New Hope Church Road exit.
She may have been last seen alive walking along I-85 near N.C. 62 near the Ramada Inn.
Despite intensive investigation and follow-up on hundreds of leads, her identity as well as that of her killer remains a mystery.
Toxicology negative.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Orange County Sheriff's Office
Tim Horne
Greg Strowd
919-644-3050
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

NCIC Number:
U-950019761
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Martha Wes Dunn
http://charleyproject.org/cases/d/dunn_martha.html

dunn_martha.jpg

Not impossible. The timing is pretty much spot on, and the age is in the right range, although it says the UID is more likely in her 20s. Texas and NC are sort of far apart, but she was a runaway. The thing that struck me was the facial similarity. The weight is probably in the right range. The UID is said to have strawberry blonde hair, but the picture shows dark hair.

I posted the exact same comparison that you did at the same time as you. You beat me to it, so I deleted my post.

In my post, I noted that she resembles the first drawing, but not the other two. There is no way of knowing which is accurate.

On second thought, maybe she does look like the third drawing.

Oh good I'm glad someone else guessed this match!
Yeah, that's what i thought initially, but now that you mention it, I do see Martha in the third composite as well. Plus I forgot to mention that the height pretty much works with the UID.

She had clean socks..clean on the bottom but no shoes? Maybe she was killed at the Ramada Inn near where she was seen? Could have been in the room with no shoes on but anywhere else dosent make sense. Why would a killer remove her shoes? Odd.

That does seem really strange. Maybe he took them in case they helped investigators? Or maybe the shoes had his blood on them? I don't know, maybe that's a stretch, but the truck drivers having people take their shoes off is interesting, since Martha was a runaway and may have decided to hitch.

I own several semis and every driver I know always has the passengers take off their shoes. Some are more adamant about if they come off right away or if it's only when they go to the sleeper, I can't speak for someone who murders people, but the (hopefully) non psychopathic ones I know, usually have them take shoes off.

All someone has to do then is throw the shoes in a ditch down the road. We've all seen a lone shoe on the side of the road and think "how'd that get there"

I've actually asked my drivers about people they've met on the road and the scariest things they've run across. Some of it is pretty extreme- those guys live in their trucks. They're often more at home in the truck than when they're AT home.

What do you think on the dentals? I'm not sure - I don't read them at all well but they would seem to indicate a non-match. However the records focus on each individual tooth and damage; the description more on the look, so I can't really say if this is significant.

Incidentally I think Martha looks more like the second drawing from the clay reconstruction, save that the clay looks so ... lifeless. But the shape of the jaw, the cheeks, the eyebrows and to an extent the nose actually matches Martha very well.

Does anyone know of Martha's status in CODIS?

If we can get around the dentals issue, it looks like a great match. The victim appears to have exited a truck (and at the very least been traveling) so distance is not an issue, demographics are not quite perfect but very close.

What do you think on the dentals? I'm not sure - I don't read them at all well but they would seem to indicate a non-match. However the records focus on each individual tooth and damage; the description more on the look, so I can't really say if this is significant.

The dentals, do seem inconsistent. Martha is said to have "gaps between her teeth" and a "pointed" eyetooth, neither of which is noted in the Jane Doe's NamUs page (although a "pointed eyetooth" may not be something that they would mention).

Jane Doe's dental description includes a lot about fillings and cavities ("caries") that you wouldn't expect to see in most MP descriptions, but it indicates that "teeth #23-26 [are] tilted to the lingual, and tooth #28 was in a lingual crossbite." This means that her four lower front teeth lean toward the tongue, and her lower right canine (#28) overlaps in front of the upper teeth when she bites down.

It is not stated which of Martha's teeth are gapped, or which eyetooth is pointed, but nevertheless I don't think that tilted teeth and bite misalignments would be mis-characterized as "gaps".

Does anyone know of Martha's status in CODIS?

Martha's DoeNet page says DNA is "available".

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/286dftx.html

Considering that she is from Texas, that probably means that she is in CODIS, as Texas is pretty good about putting their Missing Persons' DNA in CODIS. On a separate case, I asked the TXDPS analyst whether "DNA Available" means that it is in CODIS, and she said that it means that the University of North Texas has the sample. UNT does utilize CODIS (unlike some other states). Consequently, one can infer that it is (or will be) put into CODIS.

I found this missing person from Virginia - Hazel Klug. Hazel was 5'3", 117 lbs and would have been about 27 at the time this UID died in Sept 1990. Hazel had strawberry blonde hair and an abdominal scar. there was no DNA info for Hazel.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1100/1/

she does not look that much like the drawings but the three different drawings of the UID themselves don't look like the same person, in my opinion.

Wow! I was coming here to post Martha Wes Dunn as a possible match and noticed that two other people mentioned her as well. Does anyone know if she has been ruled out as being this UID?

What about Patricia Bernadette Meehan? http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/meehan_patricia.html

She got in a car accident on April 20, 1989 in Montana and left the scene disoriented. According to her profile on Charley Project, she is believed to have amnesia and may be hitching rides with truck drivers across the country. I don't know what lead people to believe that, but if so, perhaps she ended up hitching a ride with the wrong truck driver.

She has strawberry blond hair, but she is a good deal older than the estimated age of this Jane Doe -- she was 37.

What about Patricia Bernadette Meehan? http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/meehan_patricia.html

She got in a car accident on April 20, 1989 in Montana and left the scene disoriented. According to her profile on Charley Project, she is believed to have amnesia and may be hitching rides with truck drivers across the country. I don't know what lead people to believe that, but if so, perhaps she ended up hitching a ride with the wrong truck driver.

She has strawberry blond hair, but she is a good deal older than the estimated age of this Jane Doe -- she was 37.

There have been numerous reported sightings of her from all over the country. Truck drivers who have given her rides, truck stop personnel who saw her eating, etc. I'm not sure how recent the sightings are.

Some of my friends knew her when she lived in Bozeman.

the Namus link was not posted here so I found it.:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/2224

my suggestion Hazel Klug has been ruled out but Martha Wes Dunn is not. here are the rule outs:

Gina Brooks 1975 Missouri
Autumn Cox North Carolina
Krista De La Rosa 1970 Oregon
Kimie Eddy 1973 West Virginia
Janet Glover 1973 Virginia
Brenda Green 1972 Alabama
Billie Jean Hall 1960 Maryland
Diana Hall 1958 Oklahoma
Gina Hall 1962 Virginia
Angela Hamby 1962 North Carolina
Frankie Horsley 1964 North Carolina
Michelle Jakaitis 1964 Massachusetts
Patricia Kelly 1958 Tennessee
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Tracy Kroh 1972 Pennsylvania
Tammie McCormick 1972 New York
Helen Miltenberger 1966 Pennsylvania
Victoria Owczynsky 1973 Minnesota
Jennifer Pandos 1971 Virginia
Joann Pogue 1973 Indiana
Kristina Porco 1970 South Carolina
Shannon Potter 1970 Maryland
Sandy Rea 1966 Oklahoma
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
Tiffany Sessions 1968 Florida
Stephanie Slater Florida
Angela Smith 1965 Louisiana
Karen Spencer 1972 Ohio
Sally Stone 1964 Idaho
Susan Swedell 1968 Minnesota
Charlene Villinger 1958 Virginia
Joyce Walcott 1967 California
Paulette Webster 1969 Illinois
Nancy Willis 1961 Tennessee

I like Martha Dunn as a possibility. There's something about that first sketch, awkward as it is, that makes me think, "Yeah, that looks like her." And the stats are pretty close.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back