Argentina - Argentine stolen at birth, now 32, learns identity

Missizzy

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100224...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDYXJnZW50aW5lc3Rv

Argentine stolen at birth, now 32, learns identity

The search is finally over for Abel Madariaga, whose pregnant wife was kidnapped by Argentine security forces 33 years ago. After decades of doubt and loneliness, of searching faces in the street in hopes they might be related, Madariaga has found his son.

"I never stopped thinking I would find him," the 59-year-old father said, squeezing his son's arm during a packed news conference Tuesday.
"For the first time, I know who I was. Who I am," the young man said, still marveling at his new identity: Francisco Madariaga Quintela, a name he only learned last week.

The Grandmothers of the Plaza de Mayo rights group believes about 400 children were stolen at birth from women who were kidnapped and killed as part of the 1976-1983 dictatorship's "dirty war" against political dissidents, which killed as many as 30,000 people.

Madariaga and his wife, Silvia Quintela, were members of the Montoneros, a leftist group targeted for elimination by government death squads. He last saw his wife — a 28-year-old surgeon who treated the poor in a Buenos Aires suburb — being pushed into a Ford Falcon by army officers dressed as civilians as she walked to a train on Jan. 17, 1977....."

much more at link

How quickly we forget true evil. We all need to celebrate this man's homecoming!! Can you imagine meeting your son after 33 years?

amazing story

wonder if we`ll hear more about where he`s been, how he grew up ...

I am so glad that he gets this chance to reconnect with who he is. Maybe through him, they can backtrack and locate some of the others gone under the same circumstances.
Even in the face of true evil (I have no better words, Missizzy, so I'm borrowing yours) there can still be a miracle.

This story leaves me speechless. Once these atrocities left the front pages I know many of us simply forgot. It really hits home with me as I have sons who are in their 30s. To have had those thirty some odd wonderfully rich and full years stolen from me or from them is just unthinkable.

This story leaves me speechless. Once these atrocities left the front pages I know many of us simply forgot. It really hits home with me as I have sons who are in their 30s. To have had those thirty some odd wonderfully rich and full years stolen from me or from them is just unthinkable.

Maybe this will help people remember again. Or, it'll be a crash course for those of us that never even heard about it before this story came up.
This one was several years before me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back