GUILTY MO - Michael Toal for sex abuse, child *advertiser censored*, Kansas City, 2009

CHICANA

Reaction score
Michael Toal, 55, has been charged with two counts of child *advertiser censored* while he worked as a CASA volunteer last year.

Toal also worked with children at the University of Kansas Medical Center, where he allegedly admitted to having sexual contact with a patient. Court papers said Toal admitted to having a "sexual interest in children," "producing child *advertiser censored*," and "having sexual contact with a patient."

http://www.kctv5.com/news/22662810/detail.html

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/02/2...2&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#Comments_Container

His Linkedin profile
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mdtoal

Oh my GOSH!!!! Shoot his sorry azz! I am a CASA and I can not tell you how angry this makes me!!!!!!

These are vulnerable children that we work with. How dare he!!!!!

And now - CASA workers will be viewed with suspicion!!! UGGGGGG! Just what these children need.

It is so difficult to get these kids to trust you, or anyone for that matter. In the last few days, we have seen how many cases right here on this board where CPS/DHS was involved and failed to listen to the children in their care. CASA helps to insure that children DON'T fall through any stinkin' cracks.

This just isn't the thing I needed to see today. :(

What a . If I could, I would slap this so hard, ugggggggg!

Salem

salem i dont think one rotten apple gives a bad name to all of you.

Thanks kbl8201 - I know. But still it blemishes CASA's name and what we stand for, ya know? This makes me so sad. I just looked at this 's linkin site - it makes me want to puke. What a liar and a fraud!

Generally speaking, our kids have already suffered a lifetime of abuse in one form or another. To know that such a was so close to them and could have hurt them again just makes me ill.

And it goes to those trust issues we have talked about on several different threads - getting children to tell you what is going on is difficult. They know if they speak out against their parents they will suffer for it. They tell CPS and then CPS sends them right back home :( Why should they say anything? We, at CASA, fight CPS when necessary and really try to make sure these kids are going to have a decent life. But it is hard if the child won't tell you what is really going on when they visit with their parent or they end up in a bad placement.

This just doesn't help.

Salem

Oh my GOSH!!!! Shoot his sorry azz! I am a CASA and I can not tell you how angry this makes me!!!!!!

These are vulnerable children that we work with. How dare he!!!!!

And now - CASA workers will be viewed with suspicion!!! UGGGGGG! Just what these children need.

It is so difficult to get these kids to trust you, or anyone for that matter. In the last few days, we have seen how many cases right here on this board where CPS/DHS was involved and failed to listen to the children in their care. CASA helps to insure that children DON'T fall through any stinkin' cracks.

This just isn't the thing I needed to see today. :(

What a . If I could, I would slap this so hard, ugggggggg!

Salem

Keep an eye out.
It's becoming apparent that predators are drawn to jobs that give them easy access to the most vulnerable.

I think you're aware of the issues I had with family court when I had problems with my teen, you might not know that this SCUM worked at that very court. I've talked to workers from other counties and they tell me that this/my county is known for covering up their errors/ indiscretions , like the four suicides committed by foster children a year or so back.
This is also the same county court that was involved in the recent case of the 18 month old who was killed by her father after he admitted to CPS that he had abused her.
It's getting harder and harder for caring, decent social workers to tolerate what's going on in the system.
His linkeden profile shows he's a GAL also or training to be one ?

Thanks kbl8201 - I know. But still it blemishes CASA's name and what we stand for, ya know? This makes me so sad. I just looked at this 's linkin site - it makes me want to puke. What a liar and a fraud!

Generally speaking, our kids have already suffered a lifetime of abuse in one form or another. To know that such a was so close to them and could have hurt them again just makes me ill.

And it goes to those trust issues we have talked about on several different threads - getting children to tell you what is going on is difficult. They know if they speak out against their parents they will suffer for it. They tell CPS and then CPS sends them right back home :( Why should they say anything? We, at CASA, fight CPS when necessary and really try to make sure these kids are going to have a decent life. But it is hard if the child won't tell you what is really going on when they visit with their parent or they end up in a bad placement.

This just doesn't help.

Salem

you know whats ironic? when i was a kid i found it easier to open up to teachers and the like then to my own family. as i got older that got transferred to bosses.......and now i subject websleuths to it lol.

salem you do great work for these kids and id hate to see you beat yourself up for something some monster did.

i am just astonished at the number of these perverts there are...and so many yet unknown or outed. what is wrong with a society that can produce so many sex offenders? it is mind-boggling, the numbers of these cases are out of control and ever increasing.
i think there are just as many in other sorts of jobs that do not get as much scrutiny which is why it seems we are always reading about teachers, counselors, etc...imo

good grief here we go again

Yep, like the CASA worker in Austin, TX last year.

These crimes should also include an additional charge of assaulting the good reputation of all of the hard-working, selfless people who take time to help children through this program!

I feel the same way about teachers, nurses, etc. who abuse the trust of children, adults and harm the reputation of others in the profession.

As I just suggested on the Dr. Ayres' thread, I think the mods need to make a new category for us, "Pedophiles in the Helping Professions". Has anyone stopped to think about how many threads we work on concerning this subject?

Salem, I didn't know you were a CASA. We love our CASA. She's made such a difference for our teen foster child. Thank you for your good work. I know how you feel. Every single time an adoptive or foster parent is accused with abuse, I feel dirty. Shame on them.

You know, I've often commented to family that I've felt more comfortable with teachers, coaches, therapists, etc. who are not overly friendly--who didn't get all touchy feely with my kids and go ga-ga over them. I much prefer those who are kind but professional and formal--and who set firm boundaries. I'm always suspicious of people who are kid-magnets.

FWIW, I've always thought the Pied Piper was a pedophile.

I think all pedos in the helping profession, in positions of trust, should get double the sentences of others. Just like bad LE should get double sentences.

And I also agree about strong boundaries. I never touch my CASA kids until they know me. I do hold the hands of little ones when necessary - such as when crossing the street, but that's about it. I let the child come to me, so to speak. When they feel safe with me, then I might give them a hug if they are upset. And sometimes they give me a hug when they are happy to see me - but it is always their choice and generally, the kids are not comfortable until they have known me for months - six or more months. Also - I never take them anywhere where there are no other people. We stay in the PUBLIC eye, always. To me, this is a No. 1 rule!

Chicana - yes I do remember the trouble you have had with the system. I think that makes us a pretty good team on a lot of threads - especially Patrick's in New York right now. I am truly sorry for your trouble and I am shocked to find this CASA comes from the same court system. Also about the other things you mentioned out of this court system.

Let's see what kind of sentence this gets. If he does not do time or very little time, I will spearhead a letter writing campaign!

Salem

As I just suggested on the Dr. Ayres' thread, I think the mods need to make a new category for us, "Pedophiles in the Helping Professions". Has anyone stopped to think about how many threads we work on concerning this subject?

Salem, I didn't know you were a CASA. We love our CASA. She's made such a difference for our teen foster child. Thank you for your good work. I know how you feel. Every single time an adoptive or foster parent is accused with abuse, I feel dirty. Shame on them.

You know, I've often commented to family that I've felt more comfortable with teachers, coaches, therapists, etc. who are not overly friendly--who didn't get all touchy feely with my kids and go ga-ga over them. I much prefer those who are kind but professional and formal--and who set firm boundaries. I'm always suspicious of people who are kid-magnets.

FWIW, I've always thought the Pied Piper was a pedophile.

I think we should have a category on child welfare and the family court. Someone needs to hold them accountable. Only the bad ones have anything to fear. Weeding out the bad judges, CPS workers and others would truly protect our children. Some workers are afraid to speak out about the corruption, I think it's time to open the blinds and let the sun shine in.
And I agree with you, the pied piper had serious issues.

The Justice Dept. News Release:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/mow/news2010/toal.com.htm

RESPIRATORY THERAPIST CHARGED
WITH PRODUCING CHILD *advertiser censored*

ADMITS TO SEXUAL CONTACT WITH CHILDREN

"Beth Phillips, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced today that a respiratory therapist who sometimes worked in the pediatric unit at Kansas University Medical Center has been charged in federal court with producing child *advertiser censored* and attempting to distribute child *advertiser censored* over the Internet.

Michael D. Toal, 55, of Kansas City, Mo., was charged in a criminal complaint filed on Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2010, in the U.S. District Court in Kansas City. Toal had his initial court appearance before U.S. Magistrate Judge Sarah W. Hays this afternoon and remains in federal custody pending a detention hearing on Monday, March 1, 2010....."

more at link

The Justice Dept. News Release:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/mow/news2010/toal.com.htm

RESPIRATORY THERAPIST CHARGED
WITH PRODUCING CHILD *advertiser censored*

ADMITS TO SEXUAL CONTACT WITH CHILDREN

"Beth Phillips, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced today that a respiratory therapist who sometimes worked in the pediatric unit at Kansas University Medical Center has been charged in federal court with producing child *advertiser censored* and attempting to distribute child *advertiser censored* over the Internet.

Michael D. Toal, 55, of Kansas City, Mo., was charged in a criminal complaint filed on Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2010, in the U.S. District Court in Kansas City. Toal had his initial court appearance before U.S. Magistrate Judge Sarah W. Hays this afternoon and remains in federal custody pending a detention hearing on Monday, March 1, 2010....."

more at link

Makes me want to cry.
Targeting troubled kids who won't be believed when they tell.

Toal has increased his access to children who are vulnerable, the motion says, by becoming a volunteer with Jackson County’s CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) program for abused and neglected children who are in the care and custody of the state.

So, not only a respiratory therapist working with children but caring for a young child and volunteering as a CASA. We know about this one victim. There are many more.

http://kansascity.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/pressrel10/kc090810a.htm

September 8, 2010

KANSAS CITY, MO—Beth Phillips, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that a respiratory therapist pleaded guilty in federal court today to producing child *advertiser censored*.

Michael D. Toal, 56, of Kansas City, Missouri, pled guilty before U.S. Chief District Judge Fernando J. Gaitan to the charge contained in a March 16, 2010, federal indictment.

By pleading guilty today, Toal admitted that he used a minor to produce child *advertiser censored* on Aug. 2, 2009. According to the plea agreement, Toal told FBI agents that he sexually abused an 8-year-old child who was in his care at his house. While the victim was asleep, Toal took sexually explicit photographs of the child with his digital camera and then loaded them onto his computer.

The federal investigation began on Aug. 10, 2009, when an agent at the FBI’s Denver, Col., division conducted an investigation using peer-to-peer file-sharing software and downloaded images of child *advertiser censored* that were available to be shared from Toal’s computer, which was using a similar software program. When FBI agents interviewed Toal at his home, Toal admitted that he had downloaded, viewed, and then deleted child *advertiser censored*, including images of the sexual abuse of children under the age of 12, and images of violent sexual content with minors.

Under federal statutes, Toal is subject to a mandatory minimum sentence of 15 years in federal prison without parole, up to a sentence of 30 years in federal prison without parole. A sentencing hearing will be scheduled after the completion of a presentence investigation by the United States Probation Office.

This case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Katharine Fincham. It was investigated by task force officers with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Project Safe Childhood

This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice. Led by United States Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section (CEOS), Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state, and local resources to better locate, apprehend, and prosecute individuals who exploit children via the Internet, as well as to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit www.projectsafechildhood.gov.

They 'forgot' to mention he was a CASA volunteer & GAL in training.

Found this - he interned under a Jackson County Commissioner.

Michael Toal left pediatric medicine with the intent of pursuing healthcare law. In fall 2004, he took UMKC’s basic family law course.
“While I always knew I loved working with kids, I discovered I had a strength in family law that I hadn’t considered as a possible career path,” he said.
Toal is participating in the Family Court Clerkship program which, operating under the supervision of director Janelle Jennings-Drummond, places students with commissioners of the Circuit Court of Jackson County, Mo., Family Court Division. Toal works with Commissioner Sherri Rosen at the Independence court one day a week
http://www.law.umkc.edu/alumni/resipsa/ResIpsaSum05.pdf

He loved working with kids. He needs to get the max since IMO, he was looking for easy prey.

I knew I remembered this name. Give us all a break. The guy was a highly skilled professional and what was his sister doing evaluating him??

We were right, there was more than one victim.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/13/3552894/man-sentenced-in-child-*advertiser censored*-case.html

Man sentenced in child *advertiser censored* case
April 13, 2012

"A 57-year-old Kansas City man received a 25-year federal prison sentence today for producing child *advertiser censored* with an 8-year-old girl who was in his care. Michael D. Toal pleaded guilty in September 2010 to taking sexually explicit photographs of the girl while she slept..."

and

"....Investigators interviewed Toal the following February, and he admitted to downloading child *advertiser censored* and having “inappropriate sexual contact” with a patient during his work as a respiratory therapist..."

and

"...The long delay in Toal’s sentencing began just after his guilty plea when his sister, a jail psychiatrist and a defense investigator noticed odd changes to his behavior. Toal later complained of hallucinations and delusions. A federal judge ordered him to undergo mental examinations to determine whether he understood the court proceedings. After those examinations, a judge in September found him competent to proceed...."

More at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back