TX TX - Gainesville, Moss Lake, WhtMale 20-39, UP1814, 40# weight tied to belt, 2002 CA TShirt, Oct'02

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 313UMTX

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/313umtx.html

There are two separate NamUs files for same UID
https://identifyus.org/cases/1814
https://identifyus.org/cases/3286

313UMTX.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered on October 6, 2002 in Moss Lake in Gainesville, Cooke County, Texas.
* Estimated Date of Death: October 3, 2002
* Cause of Death: Blunt trauma to head
* Decomposed Remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 20 - 39 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'9"-6'0"; 170-180 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: 1 1/2 inches long, dark brown, and straight hair; unknown eye color. Dark brown beard and mustache stubble. He had no tattoos or scars.
* Clothing: He was wearing a Colin Edwards t-shirt XL, blue jeans (33 x 32), underwear size 32, socks, a black leather belt with a cell phone clip attached and dark colored Faded Glory brand hiking boots (size 10).
* Miscellaneous: The Colin Edwards t-shirt the victim was wearing was sold at a motorcycle race in Laguna Seca, California on July 14, 2002.
* Fingerprints: Available in NCIC
* Dentals: Available in NCIC
* DNA: Not Available

Case History
The victim was located in Moss Lake. The man was killed by blunt force trauma to the head, and then tied to weights and put into the lake, possibly on October 3, 2002. Fishermen pulled the body from the lake on October 6, 2002.

The lake is about 80 miles north of Dallas, but police do not believe the man was from North Texas, because no one from the area has recognized him or reported someone matching his description missing.

Police say they have searched Texas' missing person database, checked the man's fingerprints against criminal, government and military files, searched both state and national dental records databases and the Missing Persons DNA Database at the University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth.

The man wore a Colin Edwards motorcycle racing T-shirt from a July 2002 race in Laguna Seca, California, which led police to search California's missing persons database. More than 90,000 people attended the race, and police tracked the 50 shirts that were sold over the Internet, but none led to the unidentified man.

313UMTX1.jpg

Victim's T-Shirt

Investigators

If you have any information about this case please contact:
Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse
800-346-3243
Or
Gainesville Police Department
Investigator Daniel Orr
OR
Dallas County Medical Examiner
Kelly Maguire
214-920-5936
Email
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
TXDPS U0210001
ME JP3710-02

NCIC Number:
U-790002544

This one looks like a pretty good possible.

Peter Matthew Briggs

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/briggs_peter.html

Strengths:

• Strong resemblance to UID forensic sketch
  • Age 23 - Within Range (20 - 39)
  • Height 6'0" - Within Range (5'9"-6'0")
  • DLC - 26-Jun-02 - Timeframe: 102 days.
  • PMB was from San Francisco, which is about 117 miles from Laguna Seca Raceway (from where the UID's shirt was sold in July 02). It appears that the UID was at Laguna Seca only days to weeks after PMB's Date of Last Contact.

Weaknesses:
  • There is no mention of pierced ears on the UID.

Questions:
I'd be interested in finding out what the logo is on his hat. Is it something auto or racing related? The brim of his hat appears a bit dirty. Is it stained from motor oil?

I just called it in to Texas DPS. I talked to an analyst named Kristin Fabry.

Peter Briggs was not on their rule-out list for this UID. Also, she was unable to find his profile in NCIC. I referred her to his Charley page, and she said that she will contact the locality in charge of the MP case, and see if she can get DNA on PM Briggs.

She advised me to call back periodically for updates on the case.

Just contacted Kristin Fabry of Texas DPS. She says that Peter Matthew Briggs has been located, so this case is a No Match.

I will contact Meaghan Good of Charley Project to have her take Peter Briggs' casefile out of her active cases.

I remember this happening. Moss Lake isn't far from me and all of these towns around here are really small, everyone knows everyone. I'm surprised they still haven't figured out who this was.

NamUs has removed one of these duplicate profiles.
https://identifyus.org/cases/1814
is the only active one presently.

One ruleout:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
Dean Bechtold 1973 Nebraska

Bumping. These seems like an easy case to solve; we just need the right information/person.

Moving case up. I wonder if he is has been reported missing by now but just hasn't been identified because he doesn't have DNA on file...

ETA:
Could this man be a possible match?

JMG, 20, last seen Sept 2002, brown hair.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back