Page 1 of 28 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Omaha Double Murder #2

Omaha Double Murder #2

Please continue here.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67963"]Thread 1[/ame]

Thank you,

Salem

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Salem For This Useful Post:

:Welcome-12-june: to mymomshirlee and krl15182819. It is good to see you here. We have many sleuths here that are very interested in seeing JUSTICE for Shirlee and Thomas.

mymomshirlee and krl15182819 - Websleuths has a policy of asking any of our post, that post as a family member or someone with a close tie to the crime/victim, to contact the forum owner, Tricia, and let her know that you are posting here. You can reach Tricia at: Tricia Griffith
    tgrif@xmission.com

All you need to do is send her a quick email and let her know which case you are associated with and Tricia will take it from there.

Thank you,

Salem

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Salem For This Useful Post:

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    I am mainly a lurker on this thread but I have to say I find it very odd the Hunters have not reached out to Shirlee's family. Did they attend her funeral? I cannot recall. I wonder if they blame her for their son's death ( I am not saying that is justified) either because she let this person in the house or because they think she was the target and their son was an innocent bystander. Personally I have always felt like it was the other way around.

It is very nice to have members of Shirlee's family posting her and giving her a voice. Please don't be offended by things which have been posted here. At Websleuths we try to analyze a case from every different angle that can be thought of. I think Shirlee sounds like she was a caring, genuine and special woman and I sincerely hope her murderer will be caught someday.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gaia227 For This Useful Post:

I don't really follow this thread - but find the discussion of Shirlee letting the person in the house interesting. My thought is - if in fact Shirlee let the perp in the house, is it because he had a gun? He showed it to Shirlee but the neighbor could not see it?

Salem

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Salem For This Useful Post:

Salem,

As the originator of the original thread I was just wondering, why the second one? Is there a limit on the number of posts one thread can have? Just wondering and appreciate your efforts.
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

Welcome to mymomshirlee and krl15182819! I am pleased that you have joined us.

Please accept my sincerest condolences on the tragic loss of your mom. When I saw her picture, my first thought was what beautiful and kind eyes she has. Just wanted you to know that.

Please know that we have sleuthed many angles here. Some content is unpoplular or controversial (you probably know what I mean if you've read the whole thread) and we mean no disrespect. It is just the unpleasant side of sleuthing.

Please know that if I or anyone asks questions that you are unable to answer for whatever reason please just say so. No pressure. But please do notify Tricia as has been asked so she can verify your identity.

WS has recently received praise from LEA's in two separate cases that our sleuths have helped solve. We want to see Justice for Shirlee and Tom so please hang in there with us.

I can't to pretend to imagine the hurt and pain of losing Shirlee in such a brutal manner and my heart goes out to you for your loss. I (we) only want to help and have genuinly good intentions.

I am glad that you both have joined us. If you have any questions, just ask. We are here to help.

Peace be with you.

Sincerely,
    wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
    I am mainly a lurker on this thread but I have to say I find it very odd the Hunters have not reached out to Shirlee's family. Did they attend her funeral? I cannot recall. I wonder if they blame her for their son's death ( I am not saying that is justified) either because she let this person in the house or because they think she was the target and their son was an innocent bystander. Personally I have always felt like it was the other way around.

It is very nice to have members of Shirlee's family posting her and giving her a voice. Please don't be offended by things which have been posted here. At Websleuths we try to analyze a case from every different angle that can be thought of. I think Shirlee sounds like she was a caring, genuine and special woman and I sincerely hope her murderer will be caught someday.
    Hi gaia, I could be mistaken and need to look for a link but to the best of my recollection, both Tom and Shirlee's funerals were scheduled on the same day and time but at different locations. I thought this was a bit odd but considered that perhaps LE asked for the funerals to be held simultaneously so they could scope out the services separately for a suspect. This was the only reason I could imagine for this. It seems if Shirlee worked for the Hunters for 15 years as mymomshirlee has stated that the families would wish to mourn together. Perhaps mms can shed light on why/how this decision was made as I know others besides myself was curious why/how this occured.

wm

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

mymomshirlee and krl15182819: I have contacted a moderator and you are both now enabled to send and receive private messages, out of the sight of persons viewing the board. I may contact either or both of you via this method in the next few days. We are very glad you joined us.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post
    Salem,

As the originator of the original thread I was just wondering, why the second one? Is there a limit on the number of posts one thread can have? Just wondering and appreciate your efforts.

I was wondering the same thing.
    YellowDog

These are my opinions only and should not be misconstrued as factual.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to YellowDog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    I don't really follow this thread - but find the discussion of Shirlee letting the person in the house interesting. My thought is - if in fact Shirlee let the perp in the house, is it because he had a gun? He showed it to Shirlee but the neighbor could not see it?

Salem
    ...that's the way I've always figured he gained entry into the home....

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

welcome mms and krl....

I am so sorry for your loss....and am so glad that you two are here on Shirlee's behalf. I, too, feel that it's unthinkable the Hunters did not reach out to your family or express sympathy, especially with both families sharing grief through this horrible event. How odd that they would react in that manner.....I don't get it and probably never will.

One thing I have wondered about and I don't think it was ever clarified earlier....was Shirlee supposed to be at work at the Hunters' on that day? Or was she there covering due to Mrs. Hunter being out of town, Hawaii, I believe (?), when this occurred?

Thank you so much for joining us here.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

I don't know how some neighbor could tell who opened the door the day of the murders unless they had binoculars zoned in on the doorway. Since there was a half eaten sandwich on the dining room table, I've always felt like Thomas had put his game on pause to come upstairs and eat the sandwich. If so, he would have been in the dining room and would most likely have been the one to open the door. After all, he lived there and I don't think he would wait for the housekeeper to come and open the front door. He may have even been expecting someone to bring something by that afternoon.
    YellowDog

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YellowDog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    I don't know how some neighbor could tell who opened the door the day of the murders unless they had binoculars zoned in on the doorway. Since there was a half eaten sandwich on the dining room table, I've always felt like Thomas had put his game on pause to come upstairs and eat the sandwich. If so, he would have been in the dining room and would most likely have been the one to open the door. After all, he lived there and I don't think he would wait for the housekeeper to come and open the front door. He may have even been expecting someone to bring something by that afternoon.
    That's an excellent point Yellowdog. If Shirlee's family claim that under no circumstances would she open the door at a client's house, then it would seem logical that Tommy would have answered the door. The half-eaten sandwich is consistent with that scenario, although not proof by any means.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to po boy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by po boy View Post
    That's an excellent point Yellowdog. If Shirlee's family claim that under no circumstances would she open the door at a client's house, then it would seem logical that Tommy would have answered the door. The half-eaten sandwich is consistent with that scenario, although not proof by any means.

This of course brings up the possibility that Tommy was expecting someone. Most kids, mine included, prefer to eat their snacks while on their video game or watching TV which in this case was in the basement.
    Given the family statements re Shirlee's policy of caution, it would fit that Tommy opened the door. If this was a hired killer he probably couldn't believe his luck!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

Of course we're all surmising that the killer was the man in the SUV who entered the front door. The killer could have actually entered through the side door or the back door and exited the same way. I'm still not convinced that LE shouldn't be looking in the neighborhood for their killer. Thomas could have even taken a schoolmate home from school with him and it could have been a jealousy thing over possessions or something like that.
    YellowDog

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YellowDog For This Useful Post:

A thought just ran through my mind. Was there more than one person who claimed to have seen the SUV and the olive skinned man enter the Hunter home? If not, I'd be checking out that witness very closely.
    YellowDog

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YellowDog For This Useful Post:

IIRC, there were a couple of neighbors who happened to see the man park the car and walk up to the front door. I'll have to go back and re-read to confirm but I'm fairly certain.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

Found this floating around on my FB page.
    this is coming up on 2 years, still no leads, still no suspects. If we can pass around the the color of our bra's in a matter of days. I would ask that instead of posting a comment on this that you instead re post this to your wall. With that said please be diligent to your neighborhoods and never open the door if you... are not expecting someone. http://www.omaha.com/article/2009102...1/710259859See More

Also a if you come across anymore ridiculous websites where people who have no time other than to speculate their conspiracy plots, Please pass this on the police so they can monitor them for information
    Thought it is great that people are still keeping the story out there...The second comment gave me a chuckle. I am sure some people would define WS as one of those places...*raised eyebrows* So, c'mon people...quit tossing around speculation and conspiracy plots.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheMeaningOfItAll For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeaningOfItAll View Post
    Thought it is great that people are still keeping the story out there...The second comment gave me a chuckle. I am sure some people would define WS as one of those places...*raised eyebrows* So, c'mon people...quit tossing around speculation and conspiracy plots.
    Appreciate your point, however my main concern is to keep interest in this case alive. If we have to put up with some conspiracy plots and speculation, so be it.
    Saturday will be the two year anniversary of this crime. The killer or killers are still out there somewhere. This appears to have been without motive, but I think there was one. Let's hope that someone in LE doesn't decide to let a killer go free to protect the good name of Creighton or maybe of one of the families.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    A thought just ran through my mind. Was there more than one person who claimed to have seen the SUV and the olive skinned man enter the Hunter home? If not, I'd be checking out that witness very closely.
    http://www.ketv.com/news/18726316/detail.html

Dr. William Hunter states in this interview that they aren't certain who answered the door. Also, two different witnesses saw the olive skinned man.

Hope this helps answer some questions.

wm

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeaningOfItAll View Post
    I tried the link and received an error message....page not found.

I think LEA's across the country monitor sites like WS and use them as a tool in fact gathering and theories. Just recently, WS owner Tricia Griffith received thanks to sleuths from 2 different LEA's in helping solve two separate cases. One was the Abraham Shakespeare case in Florida and I can't remember the other one.

Our LEA's in this country are mostly underpaid, understaffed and over worked. Surely they monitor the internet and the 'free' resources available to them.

This is all JMO though.

wm

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

I wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of Shirlee Sherman and Tom Hunter. May God heal your heavy hearts and loneliness from missing your loved one. This time of year must be especially difficult for you.

I'm also remembering OPD in my thoughts and prayers. May they find and arrest the 'messed up person' responsible for carrying out these senseless murders.

I hope this sounds ok as conveying my sentimental thoughts in the written word is not my forte. I didn't want the two year date to go by without acknowledging it and sending condolences to the family members who read here.

Respectfully,

wm

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

This was a very shocking murderer and I an sure the Police in Omaha have been under a great deal of pressure to solve it. Unfortuately, this was probably either a "wrong target" situation of the perp was mentally deranged, without a "discernible" motive. Without any foresnsic evidence, there is nothing to lead them to the perp. They may get lucky some day and the perp will get caught in a similar crime, talk to someone or otherwise mess up, but they may never be able to "solve" the crime.

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kemo For This Useful Post:

I also want to put in a word here as we are at the second anniversary. Back when this thread was first started some of us assumed that this case would have been solved by now. Sadly we were mistaken.
    I want to let Shirlee's son Jeff and others who have become however slightly a part of our family on this thread know that our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. My thoughts and prayers also go out to the Hunter family. I cannot begin to imagine what they must relive at this time.
    Also since I believe that OPD follows this thread, our support and best wishes to all of you. Sometimes the frustration we have felt may have led us to be too critical of your efforts in this case. Our prayers for your success in this case.
    Wasn't it Ghandi that said that evil never triumphs? It may appear to win sometimes but in the end it never does. Something to ponder.

48. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

OPD now saying may be computer related

News article from KETV from yesterday:

Two years after Shirlee Sherman, 57, and Thomas Hunter, 11, were found dead in a Dundee home, one of the lead investigators is speaking for the first time about the case.
    "You want to say to be patient, but how could I ask a family to be patient that went through something like this," said Omaha homicide detective Sgt. Ken Kanger.
    He said he's been impatient himself, trying to crack one of the city's toughest homicide cases.
    Dr. William Hunter came home from work at Creighton University Medical Center on March 13, 2008, and found his son, Thomas, and Sherman, his 57-year-old housekeeper, dead.
    Kanger said in the two years that followed, there have been hundreds of leads, but no arrests.
    "The information is out there. There are still leads that we're continuing to follow up on," he said.

He said detectives are also looking into something they've not publicly discussed before. He said the killings could be tied to activity on the Internet.
    "We've looked into the computer background regarding the computers at the Hunters' house and Thomas's access to computers and chat rooms," Kanger said. "That leads us to a whole other arena."
    He said it's possible Thomas Hunter may have chatted with his killer, or someone connected to his killer, online.

"That's one of the things that we're concentrating some of our efforts now, just to find out if Thomas was in different chat rooms communicating with people, who it was he was communicating with and what those communications were like," Kanger said.
    He said chat rooms are only one aspect of the investigation. He said detectives are also looking for a silver crossover-type SUV, possibly a Honda CRV, which was seen in the area that day. The vehicle may have had out-of-state plates, witnesses said.
    Police had issued a composite sketch of a man they considered suspicious. The description of the man said he was between 20 and 30 years old, had olive skin, wore a dark suit and carried a satchel over his shoulder. Kanger said the sketch is not something they're keying on now.
    "I wouldn't say that we're backing off," he said. "The best way I can describe that is that it's a risk/reward."
    He said the reward of putting out the general drawing right away help people starting thinking about that person immediately. The risk, he said, is that over time, people focus solely on the sketch.
    Kanger said the detectives are looking into the backgrounds of the victims and their families. Both of Thomas Hunter's parents are doctors at Creighton University Medical Center. Sherman has a number of loved ones in the Omaha area.
    He said sometimes examining those background can help provide clues why someone would do it.
    "We found a lot. I don't want to say we haven't found anything, but again, you're talking two victims, you're talking a lot of different avenues where we have to look to try to find the answer to what happened," Kanger said.
    He said the police will find answers, and he wants the victims' families and neighbors to know that the case isn't cold.
    "We're going to devote as much time and effort and resources as we can to try and find out exactly what happened here and hold somebody accountable," he said.
    Crime Stoppers has offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the case.

50. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 28 1234567891011 ... LastLast