IN IN - Floyd Co., BlkMale 843UMIN, 18-25, GSW, may be from Louisville, Dec'77

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is another Doe Case on which I did a reconstruction a month or so ago.

I was thinking of Jerry Lee Armstrong until I found the article that said that CODIS flagged a possible match of JLA to skeletal remains found in Arkansas. But since I have the recon, I am putting it out there to see if anyone can figure it out.

The Doe Network:
Case File 843UMIN

http://doenetwork.org/cases/843umin.html

760f30b0-7392-4519-b236-fc9f3951a721.jpg

WARNING: POSTMORTEM PHOTO AT LINK
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q697/Carlkopp90245/Postmortem Photos/843UMINPM.jpg

Unidentified Black Male

* The victim was discovered on December 25, 1977 in Floyd County, Indiana
* Estimated Date of Death: December 24, 1977
* Cause of Death: Gunshot wound to head

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 18-25 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 6'0"; 155-175 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; brown eyes. Large wound type scar on right arm, inside right elbow.
* Dental Chart: Available; Right: - top teeth 4 and 6 missing. Left: - top teeth 4 and 6 missing. Right - bottom tooth 6 missing. Left - bottom tooth 6 missing.
* Clothing: Blue, wool knit stocking cap, blue windbreaker jacket, name "ED" embroidered in red on right front pocket, size 40, black nylon button shirt, blue color sweatshirt size 42-44, blue-gray flannel pants size 32-37, All-Pro white tennis shoes size 12.
* Fingerprints: Available
* DNA: Not Available.

Case History
The victim was located in a drain culvert at S.R. 335 and U.S. 150 by two hunters, in Floyd County, Indiana on December 25, 1977.
The victim had no identification on his person and has never been identified.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Indiana State Police
Criminal Investigation Division
First Sergeant Sammy D. Sarkisian
812-246-5424
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: 45-7832

NCIC Number:
U-276502855

I spent a little more time working on this reconstruction.

This is one I would really like to see solved, but there are very few black male teens listed in the MP sites from that era.

Jerry Lee Armstrong looks pretty tempting.
armstrong_jerry.jpg
armstrong_jerry2.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/armstrong_jerry.html

He went missing two days before this UID was found, and he bears a pretty good overall resemblance to the UID.

But I still don't think it's him even though that news story about the CODIS hit to the Poinsett County Arkansas skull (DoeNet 661UMAR) turned out to be false. Their noses are quite dissimilar, and there is nothing in the circumstances of his disappearance that would take him from Mississippi to Southern Indiana.

I agree -- not only is the nose issimilar, the overall shape of the face/skull is not the same -- the UID has a much longer narrower head, where Armstrong's is roundish.

here is the Namus link for the UID.

it is pitifully sparse. no reconstruction, no description of the scars or wounds on the body, no dental information entered, only entered one piece of clothing. not surprising there are no rule outs listed:

https://identifyus.org/cases/4845

I spent a little more time revising my recon of this John Doe.

I also browsed around, and found some additional info on the John Doe's case
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070226/NEWS02/70226055&nclick_check=1

The article is pay per view, but a full version is available on one of the other sleuthing sites. Here are some excerpts of some info regarding the circumstances of this man's death:

The hunters discovered the body of the young black man near Ind. 335 and U.S. 150. He had been shot in the head, probably the day before, Sarkisian said.

Police think the victim was in his late teens to mid-20s. He stood about 6 feet tall and weighed about 170 pounds. He had a large scar on his right arm and was missing several teeth.

Investigators have pieced together a theory of what happened based on a tip from someone who told them about two men the tipster believed were involved in the killing.

"The story was that the gentleman was picked up over in the Louisville area possibly panhandling for money," said Sarkisian, who began working the case a few years after he became a trooper in 1979.

Two factors suggest that the tipster's account is valid, Sarkisian said.

First, the person "knew things about the crime scene that we haven't released to the public," he said.

Then there is the way the victim was dressed — three pairs of pants, a shirt, a sweater, two jackets, a toboggan hat and a pair of sneakers — raising the possibility that he might have been wearing everything he owned, Sarkisian said.

The tipster's tale led investigators to two "persons of interest" who lived near where the body was found and were said to have gone into Louisville on Christmas Eve to buy alcohol, the detective said. But police were never able to connect the men to the crime.

One died years ago, and the second died a few weeks ago. Sarkisian said police questioned the second man again when they learned that he was ill.

"He made a couple of Freudian slips" that helped reinforce the belief that he knew something, Sarkisian said. "But he didn't make any admissions" or give investigators any new leads. He declined to identify the man.

Sarkisian said he would like to close the loop that began with that chance encounter by at least identifying the victim, now buried in a pauper's grave in Greenville Township.

"We'd like to identify him if he had any family members just so they could put some peace to their mind," Sarkisian said.

there are not that many African American males period listed as missing from that time frame.

I can add this observation however, the deceased has an awfully high hairline for someone that age. it almost appears to be male pattern balding which I would not expect to find in someone under the age of 30.

I spoke with Sgt. Sammy Sarkisian regarding the possibility of putting out another news release using my revised facial reconstruction image. He said that he would be glad to do that, and he said that he would talk to his Public Information Officer, and ask him to put out another news release targeted to the Louisville area, and including the reconstruction image.

Did you ever hear anything more about the news release? I see the Doenet page has your recon.

There is absolutely nothing listed on John Doe's NamUs page. No identifiers at all -- not even a hair color. That's so sad.

There is absolutely nothing listed on John Doe's NamUs page. No identifiers at all -- not even a hair color. That's so sad.

Sometimes those are "stub" entries meant to hold a place in the system, often because the records are a mess but they want to run DNA or dentals without waiting for the records to be cleaned up. Or sometimes the information is there but not available to the public for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes those are "stub" entries meant to hold a place in the system, often because the records are a mess but they want to run DNA or dentals without waiting for the records to be cleaned up. Or sometimes the information is there but not available to the public for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, but all of the stuff says "No DNA information is available" "No dental information is available" etc. I guess it makes sense that the records would be a mess, but I hope they find the time to add identifiers soon. This guy deserves justice :(

Bump. 41 Years ago this John Doe was found on Christmas Day.

I can't find the article. Does anyone know the names of the people believed to be involved?

I’ve always thought this Doe looked familiar but couldn’t quite figure out why. I broadened the search parameters and finally figured out who I was thinking of. The circumstances would seem to rule this out, but, in my opinion, the UID looks a lot like Henry Louis Baltimore Jr. – The Charley Project ! Maybe he did in fact run in order to avoid testifying. I use postmortem photos for comparison when available, FWIW.

upload_2020-8-30_6-15-46.jpegupload_2020-8-30_6-16-8.jpeg

I can’t find the article either Grungster!

Refreshing the thread...

I found the article! You need a newspapers.com subscription, but it has a photo of his shoes. Kinda reminds of those shoes on Long Beach John Doe from 1978.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back