Big News!!! Simon names who's 'So Vain'

arielilane

Justice for Liz Barraza
Reaction score
Website
www.whokilledlizbarraza.com
Big news!!! I'm old enough to remember this song, many here may not have been. I always wondered who Ms. Simon was singing about...now we know. LOL

Simon names who's 'So Vain'
Feb. 26, 2010, 9:54 AM EST
WENN- Carly Simon has ended nearly 40 years of speculation by finally naming the man who inspired her hit "You're So Vain" - her target was gay record label boss David Geffen.

The song, which catapulted the singer to fame in 1972, was rumored to be about one of her ex-boyfriends, who include Hollywood legend Warren Beatty and rocker Sir Mick Jagger, but she had persistently refused to name the man behind the track.
But Simon has now revealed who was so vain by giving fans a cryptic clue in an acoustic version of the song, which features on her upcoming album "Never Been Gone."
She tells Uncut magazine, "You know what, I'm just going to tell you this. The answer is on the new version of 'You're So Vain,' on my new record 'Never Been Gone.' There's a little whisper and it's the answer to the puzzle."
The singer whispers Geffen's name backwards in the track, according to Britain's The Sun newspaper.
http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=485058&GT1=28102

I don't know why but I always thought she wrote this song about Hugh Hefner, I think for a spell that was the rumor, I was very young in 1972, I loved the song and I vaguely remember a rumor about it being about Hef.

I remember the song very well, and am alittle surprised by this new revelation--I really thought she was singing about Warren B.

The singer whispers Geffen's name backwards in the track, according to Britain's The Sun newspaper.

uh, ok...BBM

I love that song!

Here's another link to an article about the same subject:

http://blog.zap2it.com/thedishrag/2010/02/youre-so-vain-david-geffen-says-carly-simonmaybe.html

(*snip*) There's been a lot of speculation over the years (38, to be exact) about who was SO vain that it spurred sing/songwriter Carly Simon to write a song declaring it to the world. Possible guesses have included exes like Mick Jagger, Cat Stevens, Kris Kristofferson and Warren Beatty. Well, who would have guessed that the object of her accusations is the (now openly gay) music industry mogul, David Geffen?

At least that's what U.K. tabloid The Sun, is reporting. (end of *snip*)

I don't know if it's true, but if the OP link and snip is correct and the name is whispered in the song, I'd almost bet the new 'album' might sell a lot because people have been wondering for 38 years who she is singing about? ;)

Naaah!:snooty: It was written about my 7th grade boyfriend, Howard Tennenbaum!

I don't know if it's true, but if the OP link and snip is correct and the name is whispered in the song, I'd almost bet the new 'album' might sell a lot because people have been wondering for 38 years who she is singing about? ;)

Yeah, ain't it the truth...marketing ploy.

(this thread has given me a major earworm meanwhile)

One of my favorite songs.

I just don't buy it's about Geffen. I think it's a marketing ploy to sell records.

I have to make a few calls to those that really know music and see what they think.

I can't believe it would be about Geffen!!

I buy it is more about Howard Tennenbaum then.:angel:

Gozgals

I was surprised. Warren Beatty has been the front runner with Jagger in a distant second. I don't think it's Geffen because I saw an interview with her where she said the guy had a B in his name. I took it to confirm Beatty. :waitasec:

I'm thinking that the only David with a B in his name I know is David Crosby but that makes no sense. :waitasec:

Linky

(CNN) -- Has Carly Simon finally told the world the subject of "You're So Vain"?

In a new version of the 1972 hit song from her album "Never Been Gone," the singer whispers a name during an instrumental break. Played backward, the name is revealed to be "David."

Simon, 64, gave an interview to Uncut magazine about the backward whispering, which prompted the U.K. tabloid The Sun to report that "David" is record executive David Geffen.

But Simon's publicist disputed the theory.

"The man's first name is David," she told CNNRadio, "but it could be one of many Davids."

snipped...I can't believe it would be about Geffen!!

I buy it is more about Howard Tennenbaum then.:angel:

Seems Howie made all the girls feel special. That settles it then. It's about you Howard...And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner.

Classic line for me in the song: I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee

Seems Howie made all the girls feel special. That settles it then. It's about you Howard...And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner.

Classic line for me in the song: I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee

HT does have a B in his name.

Her song "Nobody Does it Better" is about me. :angel:

What? Not "I Feel the Earth Move"?

That's Carol King and yes that one is about me as well as her "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman"
devil.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back