651 users online (69 members and 582 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

CA - Clyde Foulk for child sexual abuse, Long Beach, 2010

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5761517.story

Napa State Hospital chief is accused of molesting son

Claude E. Foulk, 62, is charged with 35 felony counts. Authorities say they have evidence he abused at least five children, but the statute of limitations in the other cases has expired.

"Reporting from San Francisco and Los Angeles - The executive director of Napa State Hospital, a Northern California mental institution that houses mentally ill criminals, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of molesting his adopted son for more than a decade, authorities said.

Long Beach Police Department detectives took Claude Edward Foulk, 62, into custody Wednesday morning at the hospital after a lengthy investigation into alleged molestations both in Southern California and Northern California.

Los Angeles County prosecutors have charged Foulk with 35 felony counts, including 22 counts of forcible oral copulation and 11 counts of sodomy by use of force.

Authorities said they have evidence that Foulk molested at least five children -- including some foster children in his care......"

and

"The charges filed this week involve his adopted son, now in his mid-20s, who alleges that Foulk molested him from 1992 to 2006.

Some employees at Napa State Hospital said they were concerned because Foulk lived in a house on the grounds next to a day-care center."

much more at link
    Last edited by Missizzy; 02-26-2010 at 07:12 PM.

The Roll Call of Dishonor:

http://psychcrimereporter.wordpress....ild-molesters/

And most of us here on WS could easily add several names!! I noticed that William Ayres and Mel Levine are conspicuously missing. But some I'd never seen before.

In this article it mentions that Foulk was briefly married in the 70's. So he was allowed to adopt and foster boys, and it never occurred to anyone there might be something deviant about this?
    http://www.kxly.com/spokanenews/22684392/detail.html
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

I'm wondering about that too, Believe. It seems that the children who were fostered (that rankles me to type that!!) in his home must be older than the mid-twenties adopted son who has come forward with disclosures.

It would have been extremely unusual for a single man to foster in the late 70's and 80's, even in California. My guess is that he used his position of power to have the children placed with him. Being that he's worked seemingly full time in the medical profession for quite some time, I find it strange that he was approved to foster children. In the 70's and 80's, a parent was typically expected to be home for the kids. Possibly he got a group of boys while his wife was still with him. Just like in the Bradley case, where is the wife? Did she suspect? I refuse to accuse them of turning a blind eye without more info but I still can't wrap my mind around not knowing.

It's possible that these kids were already older teens and came from some sort of a treatment center he worked with. Often, private agencies had contracts with the state and placed kids in foster care. Because of abuses just like this, California really tightened things up about ten years ago and closed down a lot of group and foster homes.

It doesn't surprise me that Foulk was able to adopt as a professional single man in probably the 90's. That was becoming common. We know many single parents who adopted around that time.

I wonder if this young man didn't come forward at the urging of his older siblings as he still was within the statute of limitations and they were not. I posted about how confusing the SOL is concerning disclosures over on the Ayres thread BTW. How could the Supreme Court rule that California allowing the window to open for more people to come forward was unconstitutional while allowing Delaware and several other states to do it. I don't get it.

Forgot to mention that I find it odd that a registered nurse is the Chief of the Napa State Hospital. That place is huge and you'll note, houses over 1,200 patients, with 2,300 employees.

Children were removed from Napa over a decade ago. I do wonder about the child care center, though. I'd be worried too.

For an interesting overview of the Napa State Hospital, here's a link to its history. I have to admit that I've always had a deep interest in state hospitals and asylums (ever since my son was confined to one). Talk about the ones who have been silenced:

http://users.ap.net/~chenae/socoasylums.html

For a fascinating and troubling overview of what the mentally ill (or those deemed to be) have endured, I highly recommend the following book:

"The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic" by Darby Penney

For a fascinating and troubling overview of what the mentally ill (or those deemed to be) have endured, I highly recommend the following book:

"The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic" by Darby Penney[/QUOTE]

Ms. Penney assisted in a project for the old Gowanda Psychiatic Center, Gowanda NY. It inspired a cemetary projected named, Opperation Dignity. An article search of the Buffalo Newspaper brings up an article regarding the service I attended to honor the people who were buired there. Butterflys were released, one landed on my face it was so touching to honor those who rest here. I assist in the care of potter feild behind where the old hospital used to be. Markers were sunken into the ground, many were missing. The grass was unkept and youth partied there due to it being hidden without signs to mark the location.The hospital is now a corrections site. That project strived to find names and proper cemetary care here. The markers and the grounds were in such bad condition, the records of the names of many that died here were lost. Persons who were buried here were identified by number only. The cemetary now has a sign and flowers are planted, the grass is mowed.

You are so right about the book, it offers great insight into the lost lives. Everyone deserves a name!
    Last edited by Angel4u2Whisper2; 02-26-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel4u2Whisper2 View Post

"The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic" by Darby Penney
    Ms. Penney assisted in a project for the old Gowanda Psychiatic Center, Gowanda NY. It inspired a cemetary projected named, Opperation Dignity. An article search of the Buffalo Newspaper brings up an article regarding the service I attended to honor the people who were buired there. Butterflys were released, one landed on my face it was so touching to honor those who rest here. I assist in the care of potter feild behind where the old hospital used to be. Markers were sunken into the ground, many were missing. The grass was unkept and youth partied there due to it being hidden without signs to mark the location.The hospital is now a corrections site. That project strived to find names and proper cemetary care here. The markers and the grounds were in such bad condition, the records of the names of many that died here were lost. Persons who were buried here were identified by number only. The cemetary now has a sign and flowers are planted, the grass is mowed.

You are so right about the book, it offers great insight into the lost lives. Everyone deserves a name![/quote]

Angel, you are such an angel. That was so nice you attended that service.

On an aside I have a relative that died while in our old State Psych hospital "Byberry". However, they notified the family and my dad and his brothers went to identify him. He didn't die at the hands of staff or anything, BUT was allowed to escape or get loose and I rather not say how he was killed, but it was horrific.

Claude Folk saounds to be a real creep. He's altered alot of lives in the worse way possible. Shame on him.

On an aside I have a relative that died while in our old State Psych hospital "Byberry". However, they notified the family and my dad and his brothers went to identify him. He didn't die at the hands of staff or anything, BUT was allowed to escape or get loose and I rather not say how he was killed, but it was horrific.{quote by filly}

I am so sorry about your loss.

For those who are interested, the book, "Love in the Asylum" by Lisa Carey, is a fascinating read. It is a compelling story about the present day hospitalization of an addict and a person with bipolar, interspersed with flashbacks of the hospital and its residents in the 1930s--told through hidden letters written by a woman who was hospitalized due to what must have been epilepsy. I believe the story is based loosely on the history of an actual asylum in Maine.

I just spent a while reading over some of the historical notes on the link above:

http://users.ap.net/~chenae/socoasylums.html

It's quite tempting to be an armchair diagnostician. How tragic that those suffering from grief, anxiety, depression, lead poisoning, diabetes, epilepsy, post-partum depression, bipolar and other disorders were often permanently locked up in the asylum. This is a history that we need to bear witness to.

How many voices were never heard?

It's very humbling for me to realize that, 75 years ago, my family could have had me locked away due to my seizures and ataxia. There would have been no wireless internet either.
    Last edited by Missizzy; 02-27-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Nobel Prize winning pediatrician Dr. Daniel Gajudesek (who also trained in Boston, like so many of the pedophile doctors) was arrested for molesting the boys he adopted from overseas. He never married... it didn't raise flags with anyone. See New York Times story here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/1996/04/06/us...l?pagewanted=1

When will people be checked out no matter what their status is???
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

Mercyneal--I'm really thinking that we need a new category here. I'd never heard of this man but I can tell you after reading his story that he did not legally adopt those children IMO. That just wasn't allowed at the time with those particular countries. He probably sponsored them under student visas.

I agree that there's many similarities to Ayres, Levine, Silverman, and Foulk. A quick question. Is it known if Levine and Ayres children are their biological children? If you look at Silverman, Foulk, and Gajdusek, their boys were all adopted. I wonder if there were whispers about this man also?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Carleton_Gajdusek

"In the course of his research trips in the South Pacific, Gajdusek had brought 56 mostly male children back to live with him in the United States, and provided them with the opportunity to receive high school and college education. He was later accused by one of these, now an adult man, of molesting him as a child.

Gajdusek was charged with child molestation in April 1996, based on incriminating entries in his personal diary and statements from a victim. He pleaded guilty in 1997 and, under a plea bargain, was sentenced to 12 months in jail. After his release in 1998, he was permitted to serve his five-year unsupervised probation in Europe. He never returned to the United States and lived in Amsterdam, Paris, and Tromso. Gajdusek's treatment had been denounced from October 1996 as anti-elitist and unduly harsh by controversial Edinburgh University psychologist Chris Brand.

The documentary The Genius and the Boys by Bosse Lindquist, first shown on BBC Four on June 2, 2009, notes that "seven men testified in confidentiality about Gajdusek having had sex with them when they were boys", that four said "the sex was untroubling" while for three of them "the sex was a shaming, abusive and a violation". One of these boys, the son of a friend and now an adult, appear in the film. Furthermore, Gajdusek openly admits to molesting boys and his approval of incest...."

more at link
    Last edited by KateB; 06-03-2015 at 12:27 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Maybe, I'm flat out wrong. I'd like to see which agency approved these adoptions. Please save us all from Gajdusek's and Foulk's sick form of benevolence!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ktrc0

"Over his years working amongst the tribes of the South Seas, he adopted 57 kids, bringing them to a new life in Washington DC. His adoptions were hailed as wonderful fatherly beneficence. But, at the height of his career, rumours began to spread he was a paedophile.

Gajdusek would argue that if sex with children was okay in their own cultures, he wasn't wrong to join in. How could a great mind like Gajdusek's lose insight so totally, and why would the scientific community to which he was a hero be so quick to leap to his defence and dismiss the allegations?"

Does everyone see a little bit of the Ayres, Levine, and even Bradley stories waving in the wind here? "But he was a genius".

Ethically, one has to wonder what light this casts on the very valuable research and work done by these monsters? No one can deny that they've bettered the world by their research but what evil thoughts and actions were the driving force or the "wind beneath their sails"?

ETA

http://articles.latimes.com/1997-02-...n-31774_1?pg=3

(note that this article is 6 pages long and the quote is from page 3)

"Whether he actually adopted the children or simply referred to them as such is not clear, but authorities have not challenged the legality of the adoptions."

And why in heck not??
    Last edited by Missizzy; 02-28-2010 at 07:24 PM.

I find it absolutely fascinating to what degrees pedophiles will go to in procuring their desired victims...the years of schooling, the monetary expense, the setting up of social "fronts", the travel. It seems as if no hurdle is high enough.

I wonder if we've learned a bit more since Gajdusek's trial. I'm hoping we don't jail Foulk for a year and then let him move to Europe to "continue his work". That part of the Gajdusek story is downright appalling. When we're done with boys being raped on American soil, we send the rapists to Europe? I'm sure Interpol was tickled.

This first article contains lots of new info concerning many more victims and charges:

http://fugitive.com/archives/19126

"Former Napa State Hospital Executive Director Claude Edward Foulk pleaded not guilty this morning to molesting his foster son in the Long Beach area over a 10-year period starting in 1992.Foulk, 62, entered his plea in Long Beach Superior Court, one of 40 courts in Los Angeles County, said Jane Robison, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office’s press secretary.

Foulk was arrested by Long Beach police Wednesday on the hospital grounds in Napa. He is being held in the Long Beach Police Department jail under $3.5 million bail but was to be transferred to the Los Angeles County jail in central Los Angeles today, Long Beach police spokeswoman Lisa Massacani said.A preliminary hearing is scheduled for March 12...."

and

"The amended complaint also says the statute of limitations regarding the offenses that involve substantial sexual conduct between 1992 and 2000 in counts 1-26 has been extended because the foster son made a complaint to a California law enforcement agency on Jan. 14, 2010, and a criminal complaint was filed within one year of the report...."

more at link

http://www.sthelenastar.com/articles...e814682579.txt

"A hearing for the former Napa State Hospital director accused of molesting his son has been delayed.

Claude Edward Foulk, 62, is charged with 35 felony counts of child molestation.

Foulk was scheduled for a preliminary hearing last Friday, but that hearing has been delayed to April 13-14, said Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Danette Gomez, who prosecutes the office’s sex and domestic violence cases.

The attorneys in the case agreed to the delay after Foulk’s Napa attorney, Beverly Saxon Leonard, handed off the case to Long Beach defense attorney Richard Poland, Gomez said.

Gomez declined to say which alleged victims she plans to call to testify at the preliminary hearing. She did say she will call more witnesses than just the named alleged victim...."

more at link

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast