GUILTY CA - Clyde Foulk for child sexual abuse, Long Beach, 2010

Missizzy

Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-hospital-director25-2010feb25,0,5761517.story

Napa State Hospital chief is accused of molesting son

Claude E. Foulk, 62, is charged with 35 felony counts. Authorities say they have evidence he abused at least five children, but the statute of limitations in the other cases has expired.

"Reporting from San Francisco and Los Angeles - The executive director of Napa State Hospital, a Northern California mental institution that houses mentally ill criminals, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of molesting his adopted son for more than a decade, authorities said.

Long Beach Police Department detectives took Claude Edward Foulk, 62, into custody Wednesday morning at the hospital after a lengthy investigation into alleged molestations both in Southern California and Northern California.

Los Angeles County prosecutors have charged Foulk with 35 felony counts, including 22 counts of forcible oral copulation and 11 counts of sodomy by use of force.

Authorities said they have evidence that Foulk molested at least five children -- including some foster children in his care......"

and

"The charges filed this week involve his adopted son, now in his mid-20s, who alleges that Foulk molested him from 1992 to 2006.

Some employees at Napa State Hospital said they were concerned because Foulk lived in a house on the grounds next to a day-care center."

much more at link

I'm wondering about that too, Believe. It seems that the children who were fostered (that rankles me to type that!!) in his home must be older than the mid-twenties adopted son who has come forward with disclosures.

It would have been extremely unusual for a single man to foster in the late 70's and 80's, even in California. My guess is that he used his position of power to have the children placed with him. Being that he's worked seemingly full time in the medical profession for quite some time, I find it strange that he was approved to foster children. In the 70's and 80's, a parent was typically expected to be home for the kids. Possibly he got a group of boys while his wife was still with him. Just like in the Bradley case, where is the wife? Did she suspect? I refuse to accuse them of turning a blind eye without more info but I still can't wrap my mind around not knowing.

It's possible that these kids were already older teens and came from some sort of a treatment center he worked with. Often, private agencies had contracts with the state and placed kids in foster care. Because of abuses just like this, California really tightened things up about ten years ago and closed down a lot of group and foster homes.

It doesn't surprise me that Foulk was able to adopt as a professional single man in probably the 90's. That was becoming common. We know many single parents who adopted around that time.

I wonder if this young man didn't come forward at the urging of his older siblings as he still was within the statute of limitations and they were not. I posted about how confusing the SOL is concerning disclosures over on the Ayres thread BTW. How could the Supreme Court rule that California allowing the window to open for more people to come forward was unconstitutional while allowing Delaware and several other states to do it. I don't get it.

Forgot to mention that I find it odd that a registered nurse is the Chief of the Napa State Hospital. That place is huge and you'll note, houses over 1,200 patients, with 2,300 employees.

Children were removed from Napa over a decade ago. I do wonder about the child care center, though. I'd be worried too.

For an interesting overview of the Napa State Hospital, here's a link to its history. I have to admit that I've always had a deep interest in state hospitals and asylums (ever since my son was confined to one). Talk about the ones who have been silenced:

http://users.ap.net/~chenae/socoasylums.html

For a fascinating and troubling overview of what the mentally ill (or those deemed to be) have endured, I highly recommend the following book:

"The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic" by Darby Penney

For a fascinating and troubling overview of what the mentally ill (or those deemed to be) have endured, I highly recommend the following book:

"The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic" by Darby Penney[/QUOTE]

Ms. Penney assisted in a project for the old Gowanda Psychiatic Center, Gowanda NY. It inspired a cemetary projected named, Opperation Dignity. An article search of the Buffalo Newspaper brings up an article regarding the service I attended to honor the people who were buired there. Butterflys were released, one landed on my face it was so touching to honor those who rest here. I assist in the care of potter feild behind where the old hospital used to be. Markers were sunken into the ground, many were missing. The grass was unkept and youth partied there due to it being hidden without signs to mark the location.The hospital is now a corrections site. That project strived to find names and proper cemetary care here. The markers and the grounds were in such bad condition, the records of the names of many that died here were lost. Persons who were buried here were identified by number only. The cemetary now has a sign and flowers are planted, the grass is mowed.

You are so right about the book, it offers great insight into the lost lives. Everyone deserves a name!

"The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic" by Darby Penney

Ms. Penney assisted in a project for the old Gowanda Psychiatic Center, Gowanda NY. It inspired a cemetary projected named, Opperation Dignity. An article search of the Buffalo Newspaper brings up an article regarding the service I attended to honor the people who were buired there. Butterflys were released, one landed on my face it was so touching to honor those who rest here. I assist in the care of potter feild behind where the old hospital used to be. Markers were sunken into the ground, many were missing. The grass was unkept and youth partied there due to it being hidden without signs to mark the location.The hospital is now a corrections site. That project strived to find names and proper cemetary care here. The markers and the grounds were in such bad condition, the records of the names of many that died here were lost. Persons who were buried here were identified by number only. The cemetary now has a sign and flowers are planted, the grass is mowed.

You are so right about the book, it offers great insight into the lost lives. Everyone deserves a name![/quote]

Angel, you are such an angel. That was so nice you attended that service.

On an aside I have a relative that died while in our old State Psych hospital "Byberry". However, they notified the family and my dad and his brothers went to identify him. He didn't die at the hands of staff or anything, BUT was allowed to escape or get loose and I rather not say how he was killed, but it was horrific.

Claude Folk saounds to be a real creep. He's altered alot of lives in the worse way possible. Shame on him.

On an aside I have a relative that died while in our old State Psych hospital "Byberry". However, they notified the family and my dad and his brothers went to identify him. He didn't die at the hands of staff or anything, BUT was allowed to escape or get loose and I rather not say how he was killed, but it was horrific.{quote by filly}

I am so sorry about your loss.

:grouphug:

For those who are interested, the book, "Love in the Asylum" by Lisa Carey, is a fascinating read. It is a compelling story about the present day hospitalization of an addict and a person with bipolar, interspersed with flashbacks of the hospital and its residents in the 1930s--told through hidden letters written by a woman who was hospitalized due to what must have been epilepsy. I believe the story is based loosely on the history of an actual asylum in Maine.

I just spent a while reading over some of the historical notes on the link above:

http://users.ap.net/~chenae/socoasylums.html

It's quite tempting to be an armchair diagnostician. How tragic that those suffering from grief, anxiety, depression, lead poisoning, diabetes, epilepsy, post-partum depression, bipolar and other disorders were often permanently locked up in the asylum. This is a history that we need to bear witness to.

How many voices were never heard?

It's very humbling for me to realize that, 75 years ago, my family could have had me locked away due to my seizures and ataxia. There would have been no wireless internet either.

When will people be checked out no matter what their status is???

Mercyneal--I'm really thinking that we need a new category here. I'd never heard of this man but I can tell you after reading his story that he did not legally adopt those children IMO. That just wasn't allowed at the time with those particular countries. He probably sponsored them under student visas.

I agree that there's many similarities to Ayres, Levine, Silverman, and Foulk. A quick question. Is it known if Levine and Ayres children are their biological children? If you look at Silverman, Foulk, and Gajdusek, their boys were all adopted. I wonder if there were whispers about this man also?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Carleton_Gajdusek

"In the course of his research trips in the South Pacific, Gajdusek had brought 56 mostly male children back to live with him in the United States, and provided them with the opportunity to receive high school and college education. He was later accused by one of these, now an adult man, of molesting him as a child.

Gajdusek was charged with child molestation in April 1996, based on incriminating entries in his personal diary and statements from a victim. He pleaded guilty in 1997 and, under a plea bargain, was sentenced to 12 months in jail. After his release in 1998, he was permitted to serve his five-year unsupervised probation in Europe. He never returned to the United States and lived in Amsterdam, Paris, and Tromso. Gajdusek's treatment had been denounced from October 1996 as anti-elitist and unduly harsh by controversial Edinburgh University psychologist Chris Brand.

The documentary The Genius and the Boys by Bosse Lindquist, first shown on BBC Four on June 2, 2009, notes that "seven men testified in confidentiality about Gajdusek having had sex with them when they were boys", that four said "the sex was untroubling" while for three of them "the sex was a shaming, abusive and a violation". One of these boys, the son of a friend and now an adult, appear in the film. Furthermore, Gajdusek openly admits to molesting boys and his approval of incest...."

more at link

Maybe, I'm flat out wrong. I'd like to see which agency approved these adoptions. Please save us all from Gajdusek's and Foulk's sick form of benevolence!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ktrc0

"Over his years working amongst the tribes of the South Seas, he adopted 57 kids, bringing them to a new life in Washington DC. His adoptions were hailed as wonderful fatherly beneficence. But, at the height of his career, rumours began to spread he was a paedophile.

Gajdusek would argue that if sex with children was okay in their own cultures, he wasn't wrong to join in. How could a great mind like Gajdusek's lose insight so totally, and why would the scientific community to which he was a hero be so quick to leap to his defence and dismiss the allegations?"

Does everyone see a little bit of the Ayres, Levine, and even Bradley stories waving in the wind here? "But he was a genius".

Ethically, one has to wonder what light this casts on the very valuable research and work done by these monsters? No one can deny that they've bettered the world by their research but what evil thoughts and actions were the driving force or the "wind beneath their sails"?

ETA

http://articles.latimes.com/1997-02-23/news/mn-31774_1?pg=3

(note that this article is 6 pages long and the quote is from page 3)

"Whether he actually adopted the children or simply referred to them as such is not clear, but authorities have not challenged the legality of the adoptions."

And why in heck not??

I find it absolutely fascinating to what degrees pedophiles will go to in procuring their desired victims...the years of schooling, the monetary expense, the setting up of social "fronts", the travel. It seems as if no hurdle is high enough.

I wonder if we've learned a bit more since Gajdusek's trial. I'm hoping we don't jail Foulk for a year and then let him move to Europe to "continue his work". That part of the Gajdusek story is downright appalling. When we're done with boys being raped on American soil, we send the rapists to Europe? I'm sure Interpol was tickled.

This first article contains lots of new info concerning many more victims and charges:

http://fugitive.com/archives/19126

"Former Napa State Hospital Executive Director Claude Edward Foulk pleaded not guilty this morning to molesting his foster son in the Long Beach area over a 10-year period starting in 1992.Foulk, 62, entered his plea in Long Beach Superior Court, one of 40 courts in Los Angeles County, said Jane Robison, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office’s press secretary.

Foulk was arrested by Long Beach police Wednesday on the hospital grounds in Napa. He is being held in the Long Beach Police Department jail under $3.5 million bail but was to be transferred to the Los Angeles County jail in central Los Angeles today, Long Beach police spokeswoman Lisa Massacani said.A preliminary hearing is scheduled for March 12...."

and

"The amended complaint also says the statute of limitations regarding the offenses that involve substantial sexual conduct between 1992 and 2000 in counts 1-26 has been extended because the foster son made a complaint to a California law enforcement agency on Jan. 14, 2010, and a criminal complaint was filed within one year of the report...."

more at link

http://www.sthelenastar.com/articles/2010/03/15/news/saturday_update/doc4b9a92317d4be814682579.txt

"A hearing for the former Napa State Hospital director accused of molesting his son has been delayed.

Claude Edward Foulk, 62, is charged with 35 felony counts of child molestation.

Foulk was scheduled for a preliminary hearing last Friday, but that hearing has been delayed to April 13-14, said Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Danette Gomez, who prosecutes the office’s sex and domestic violence cases.

The attorneys in the case agreed to the delay after Foulk’s Napa attorney, Beverly Saxon Leonard, handed off the case to Long Beach defense attorney Richard Poland, Gomez said.

Gomez declined to say which alleged victims she plans to call to testify at the preliminary hearing. She did say she will call more witnesses than just the named alleged victim...."

more at link

MissIzzy -- have you ever heard of an individual legally adopting *57* kids before?

I know of a family in Oregon who adopted somewhere around 40--all legally--but over a span of 50 years. Some of the adopted were adults when they came to the family. There's a couple of highly specialized families who have between 15-25 but it is rare and comes under a lot of scrutiny.

However, I've done a good bit of research into Gajdusek and it does NOT appear that the children were legally adopted. In most articles about the man, the children (I think almost, if not all, were boys) are referred to as his "adopted" children. Note, I linked above to an article which says that no one ever questioned the legality of the adoptions and that the man introduced the kids as his adopted children.

From what I've read, it seems he sponsored them on student visas with parental approval. I posted about Gajdusek on this thread and on the Ayres thread. There's a particular quote I'm looking for and I'll post it here when I find it. This man worries me greatly. Notice that his sons have gone on to hold positions of power in many countries. I'd love to know their histories.

I'm especially bothered by the fact that he was allowed to live out his life in privacy, with no scrutiny, in Europe. We're all just certain that he kept his hands off those boys, aren't we?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/15/science/15gajdusek.html

This article followed his death in 2008. He spent 10 years in Europe with no post prison supervision.

"He also remained unrepentant about the sexual relationships with his adopted sons, Dr. Klitzman said. He considered American law prudish and pointed out that sex with young men was normal in the cultures he studied and in the classic Greek societies at the foundation of Western civilization.

His legal assistant, Dorrie Runman, who was previously married to one of his sons, John Runman, said Dr. Gajdusek’s survivors included “his adopted sons and daughters, including Yavine Borimaand Jesse Mororui-Gajdusek in the United States, and two nephews, Karl Lawrence Gajdusek and Mark Terry.”

His children were legally adopted, Ms. Runman said. He put several through college and graduate or medical school. Some of them, now in their 50s, supported him during his legal troubles, while one sibling testified against him."

Another article following his death. My guess is that this is closer to the truth:

http://journals.lww.com/neurotodayo...eton_Gajdusek,_MD,_Nobelist_Who_Showed.4.aspx

"Indeed, those flaws sent him into exile in his later years. Over the years, Dr. Gajdusek brought more than 50 children from his trips to the South Pacific to live with him in the United States. He sent them college, and graduate school and, in some cases, medical school, Dr. Klitzman said. He legally adopted three children. But one of the boys, as an adult, accused Dr. Gajdusek of having sexually molested him as a child. Dr. Gajdusek was charged with child molestation in April 1996, and pleaded guilty in 1997. Under a plea bargain, he was sentenced to 19 months in jail, and after his release in 1998, he was permitted to serve his five-year probation in Europe."

And the snip I was looking for (clipped from the Ayres thread):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/th...n-1308277.html

August 1996

"The story of Daniel Gajdusek, the brilliant son of poor East European immigrants to the United States who was awarded the 1976 Nobel Prize for Medicine and Physiology, is more than the rags-to-riches rise and fall from grace of an eminence grise. His supporters - and there are many, including leading scientists and the children he brought up as his own, some of whom hold high-ranking government and diplomatic positions in their own countries - say he is the victim of the preoccupation with child abuse that has led to notorious scandals and miscarriages of justice such as Cleveland and the Orkney Isles cases here and Wenatchee in the US.

Others say Gajdusek is nothing more than a sex tourist who used his status as world-renowned scientist as a cover for his visits to exotic locations to procure children for his own pleasure. Then there are those of a more liberal persuasion who believe that our own hang-ups about sex should not be allowed to distort the very different cultural attitudes to sex displayed in other countries."

and

"For example, on 10 September 1961, while on Koror Island in the Pacific Ocean, he wrote: "I would, at this moment, have every youth sleep with his sister, get seduced by his older brother and male teacher, practise with his male and female cousins, aunts, uncles and teacher and maid - anything! - only to know sex as fun and frivolity, as rhythm and passionate play - from an early age - from the very onset of puberty."

and

"Dr Gajdusek was arrested and spent the night in jail before being released on $350,000 bail. He is forbidden from travelling outside the state and has not commented in any detail on the allegations, other than to tell the Washington Post that he was as much a paedophile "as Jesus Christ and Mother Teresa, who also are unmarried and love children".

and

Reports in American newspapers say Gajdusek brought the first child over some time in the mid-1960s, and that their numbers grew rapidly. He did not adopt them officially [ETA, finally answered that question] and the children entered the United States on study visas, which require little more than a sponsor who agrees to cover all costs.

and

"Larry Foust, of the FBI in Baltimore, said last week that the agency first became interested in him after an inquiry into child *advertiser censored* on the Internet in the late 1980s. In October, the Maryland Circuit Court will decide if he is an innocent, well-meaning eccentric whose old age and lifetime achievements have been destroyed by witchhunting authorities, or a paedophile masquerading as a dedicated scientist. A more pertinent question, which the court will not address, is this: how could the US Immigration authorities and social services permit so many young, foreign children to enter the country, largely unchecked, for so many years?"

Multiple entries in his private journals follow.

much more at link--a fascinating read.

From another source:

http://www.answers.com/topic/daniel-carleton-gajdusek

"Gajdusek was charged with child molestation in April 1996, based on incriminating entries in his personal diary and statements from a victim. He pleaded guilty in 1997 and, under a plea bargain, was sentenced to 12 months in jail. After his release in 1998, he was permitted to serve his five-year unsupervised probation in Europe. He never returned to the United States and lived in Amsterdam, Paris, and Tromso.

and

"Gajdusek died December 12, 2008 in Tromsø, Norway, at the age of 85. He was working and visiting colleagues in Tromsø at the time of his death."

I think that due to the time lapse, many have forgotten this important case. It bears many similarities to some of the others we are discussing. We have a man, a brilliant man, who ordered his life in such a way, to have a steady stream of boys and young men at his disposal. He minimized the sexual contact, even calling it playlike and healthy. (Sidenote: NAMBLA has a piece on Gajdusek but it has been taken down). He was able to garner awards and praise for his philanthropic work with children and develop a public reputation as an upstanding model for males. In fact, he duped many highly respected people into defending him against even overwhelming evidence.

One has to wonder what has become of the young men he raised who are now said to hold high ranking positions of power in far-flung countries? If they truly look back on their relationship with their "father" as one filled with sex-fueled love, what atrocities might they be committing in the name of love and/or play? One has to also wonder how many children and teens he victimized after we released him unsupervised on Europe in 1998. Ten years in a long long time and pedophiles are fast.

Gajdusek's legacy truly haunts me. I'd love to hear Charlie Rose set Ayres, Levine, and Bradley at a table (leg irons, please) for a thorough discussion of this Nobel Laureate. No doubt he is their hero.

By the time I'd read the snipped from your second link, I'd already figured he probably had a NAMBLA card in his wallet, or a freaky piece of NAMBLA jewelry.

sick.sick.sick.

Isn't it really remarkable that we've never heard of this guy? The guy died a little over a year ago and was probably hard at it when he keeled over. I can't believe that we, as a society, seem to be willing to look the other way for a genius mind.

I, for one, though, am intrigued by other cultures' sexual mores. The US law trumps those mores, though, when the line is crossed on child sexual abuse.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back