Girls Killed by Train Part of Suicide Pact, Police say

JoeFromLB

Reaction score
suburban Philadelphia, yesterday:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Girls-Hit-by-Train-Made-Suicide-Pact-85538982.html

Gina Gentile and Vanessa Dorwart made a suicide pact with a group of teenagers, police told family members. Gentile and Dorwart kept that pact Thursday morning.

Gentile’s aunt, Donna Giordano, told NBC Philadelphia that her niece, Dorwart and other girls agreed to show up Thursday morning at the Norwood train station to end their lives together.

Gentile, Dorwart and a third Interboro High School girl, Kelly Cashwell, all left school Thursday morning, according to school officials.

The three girls were seen by a SEPTA ticket agent yelling or arguing on the southbound train platform, and one of them was talking on a cell phone, just minutes before Gentile and Dorwart were fatally struck at 10:28 a.m. by a high-speed Acela train coming up from Washington, D.C.

How many more teens were part of the pact is still unknown. Cashwell was cooperating with police and remains in crisis counseling.

I honestly don't know what to say, it sounds as though this was not thought out quick decision type thing. Kids do not realize how permanent a decision like this is. I donot think kids understand their on mortality. Its almost like they think, if I do this it will be cool, all my friends will come to my funeral and it will be all about me. They dont realize they will not be there its like kids seperate themselves from an event such as this.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/85637282.html?cmpid=15585797

Police are looking into widespread rumors that the girls may have formed a suicide pact. A third girl who was at the scene, identified by friends as classmate Kelly Cashwell, witnessed the incident and reported it to school officials.

Friends of Dorwart and Gentile say the girls were upset over the death of Interboro student Bill Bradley, 17, who was killed last month while riding his bike in Glenolden. Two friends of the girls said yesterday that they believe that Dorwart had tried to pull Gentile off the tracks, and that Cashwell was on her cell phone trying to get help.

Norwood police have not publicly confirmed that account, and the county medical examiner hasn't determined whether their deaths were accident or suicide.

Paul Dorwart said yesterday that his daughter was planning her 16th-birthday party Wednesday night. He thinks she might have been trying to save Gentile when they were struck.

Wow...this is really sad...

I do remember when an older kid in my neighborhood commited suicide...back then in the 60's/70's we didn't have grief counselors or help...but I know some kids were very upset with it (those close to him...I wasn't)

I thought that today they bring in grief counselors and also alert the parents etc...when a classmate is killed/dies ?? Even if natural causes...like cancer or something, don't they offer counseling now?

This is so sad....and it might be a good warning to parents and teachers in other cases/places where a kid dies...more care and attention needed for the friends/classmates??

I think kids also have to be encouraged to "tell" on their friends.."rat"
them out cause it can be life or death....suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Very sad...and sad the other girl may have been trying to "save" her friend

Oh and another thing...I see from the news story that already they are putting flowers out and doing the all too familiar "memorial" thingy...

I wonder if death has not been somehow "glamorized" to these teens??
Kids don't realize this is "forever"...again I think they need help and need open communication...I only hope that this latest tragedy there does not spur another

Oh and another thing...I see from the news story that already they are putting flowers out and doing the all too familiar "memorial" thingy...

I wonder if death has not been somehow "glamorized" to these teens??
Kids don't realize this is "forever"...again I think they need help and need open communication...I only hope that this latest tragedy there does not spur another

Exactly, thats what I am afraid of as well. I hope that there is some major counseling going on at the school and the parents talk to the kids, because when other kids realiaze the attention and the out pouring of love for these girls. Those who are lonely or depressed may want the same attention, and kids rarely put two and two together. They may see the glamore of all of this and want the same thing, not realizing that they don't get to come back.
I am having a really hard time explaining what I am trying two say I hope you guys understand what I'm saying.

Exactly, thats what I am afraid of as well. I hope that there is some major counseling going on at the school and the parents talk to the kids, because when other kids realiaze the attention and the out pouring of love for these girls. Those who are lonely or depressed may want the same attention, and kids rarely put two and two together. They may see the glamore of all of this and want the same thing, not realizing that they don't get to come back.
I am having a really hard time explaining what I am trying two say I hope you guys understand what I'm saying.

butterfly1978, I totally understand what you are saying and you said it perfectly.

I feel so bad for Vanessa's family. They will likely never know for sure whether their child committed suicide or died a hero trying to save her friend. I think that would make a huge difference in how they cope with her death. Either way would be unbearable, of course, but this lack of knowledge is going to eat at them for a long time to come. So sad. Sad for both of the families, of course, the school and the community as well. Heck, even sad for me!!!

I heard this on our local news the other day. So terribly sad. Vanessa posted a lot of suicidal/depressed comments on her Facebook page on the days leading up to her death. It looks like she was very upset about a recent break up with her boyfriend. There are also comments she made about Gina's boyfriend who died last month. It's clear she was hurting badly.

I went through a period of depression in high school and thought about suicide often. I just want to give these girls a big hug and tell them it doesn't last forever. I promise it gets better, it really does! The teenage years are so hard and some things may seem like the end of the world, but it's only temporary. Your life has barely just begun. Stories like this make me so sad. Such beautiful girls with everything ahead of them. So many things to look forward to, and they didn't even know. My heart goes out to their family and friends.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back