Thread: AZ - Horrific abuse of a foster child.

AZ - Horrific abuse of a foster child.

This is absolutely horrifying to me, enough so that I'm going to try to pull together the rest of the links on it. These poor kids, any and all that crossed this woman's path.

http://www.eacourier.com/articles/20...f650543852.txt
    Tammy Renea Andrews, 39, of Safford turned herself into authorities and was arrested Wednesday on charges of child abuse, unlawful imprisonment and aggravated assault. A felony warrant for her arrest was issued by Justice of the Peace District 1 Judge Gary Griffith.
    According to a press release from the Safford Police Department, officers were dispatched to residence in Safford on Feb. 11 in regard to a report of a 10-year-old boy being stabbed in the hand by his foster mother.

I am not comfortable typing the descriptions of the rest of the abuse. I will let those with the guts click the link. Believe me when i say that stabbing him in the hand was one of the "nicer" things she did to this child. This may be the most sadistic woman I have ever had the pleasure of not meeting.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

She has such a smug look on her face in that link. People like this give good foster homes and parents a bad name. How can anyone cause further abuse to children when they've already been through so much?

Here's hoping foster monster receives more than a slap on the wrist. She should be ashamed of herself for treating any human being this way.

Prayers to the little fella. I hope he's able to overcome all he's been through.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Disguiseduser0308 For This Useful Post:

Blue_Dolphin308 is offline We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone!
    I was in the foster care system and in one of the homes, i was confined in my bedroom from the time i got home from school, until the time i left home for school the next day. Some of these homes do not need to be foster homes!
    Be Kind to yourself, you are worth it!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blue_Dolphin308 For This Useful Post:

This poor child. That was horrific to read and I can't imagine this little boy enduring so much continuous abuse. He has a long road of recovery ahead of him. Where do kids go that have no family and have been failed by the state to protect them? Another foster home?

I wish we could deliver the death penalty for child abuse like this.

Heartbreaking. That poor child. Reading his descriptions of the things she did to him, I (hopefully) thought, "No way...that's too cruel... surely he's exaggerating..." But the scars and evidence in the home proved him to be telling the horrible truth.

: Fry the witch.
    Last edited by Muffet; 02-27-2010 at 02:19 AM.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Muffet For This Useful Post:

It's not often that I think we get to see the face of evil which the child sees. This time I think we do. The woman has no remorse. She brings shame on all who call ourselves foster parents. There's a lot of things wrong with this story.

Arizona is known to rate relatively highly on marks for following through with visitations of kids in care. This sort of abuse cannot be hidden. Notice how the little guy was so forthcoming with information--how he pointed out weapons of torture? I cannot understand how a worker could have been going into this home on a monthly basis and not seen this. How about doctor's visits, dentist's visits, therapy? All these components are set in place not only to serve the child but also to assure safety.

Also, home schooling is almost always disallowed in foster care for this very reason. DHS wants greater oversight on the children, more adult eyes. The only thing I can come up with is that this might have been a relative foster placement, called kinship care. Occasionally those placements will receive less oversight. Remember our abuser in Indiana a while back who'd impregnated his adopted daughter who was a blood relative--twice? No oversight.

So, evil pure and simple. This child's blood in on this woman's hands. But who was supposed to be supervising this child in placement?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Muffet View Post
    :
    : Fry the witch.
    I couldnt say it better!

I feel so sad for the boy it will take a long time for him to recover (if all) how sad

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kirsty For This Useful Post:

Sounds like this woman was well known in the community. I think it must have been a relative placement:

http://www.eacourier.com/articles/20...f650543852.txt

".......She was once my daughters basketball coach and she always told me about how mean she was. How did all this go undetected by Child Protective Services? Don't they check on these kids?" Posted by Wow 2/26

This is a deplorable act that no child should have to endure. With a respected educated father, eh and a brother in the probation department who both have worked with many of our youth it seems they may not have seen any signs of this going on.The child had left a situation before where his own mother was not going to be ale to care for him.Unfortunately this will be almost impossible for the child to overcome.We should all take a closer look at our own and make sure your loved ones are not in need of intervention." Posted by Quicktek 2/26

Looks like her husband is the wrestling and track coach at the local high school:

http://www.eacourier.com/articles/20...3171228293.txt

A snip from a comment last week:

"The Andrews family coaching tradition continues. I can only hope to approach the success they have experienced in my own career."
    Last edited by Missizzy; 02-27-2010 at 03:18 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

On a disgusting note, the husband of the abuser goes by the name "BB". It's even printed in the school roster. Might be a coincidence but that's awfully unsettling.

Hold on. This gets confusing. There's two men, Jr. and Sr. It looks like Tammy lives with Sr.--maybe her Dad. The coach, Jr., could be her brother. Someone else, please look and tell me what you think.

FWIW, it sounds like the family has a long involvement in sports and someone works in probation. I wonder if the reason the boy's mother couldn't be taking care of him is because she's in prison? Lots of possibilities. But with so many working in sports and LE, how could they not see this?

Her MS page is still up.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

The comments section under the article are pretty much telling the story. Sounds like this might not be the first child she's hurt. My Lord.

http://www.eacourier.com/articles/20...6689009179.txt

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    The comments section under the article are pretty much telling the story. Sounds like this might not be the first child she's hurt. My Lord.

http://www.eacourier.com/articles/20...6689009179.txt

I agree. Naturally, she had her mandatory "she's a great mom" support, but the other comments reveal a nasty mean woman that, IMHO, took in this child to 1) make money, 2) had a taste for abuse, 3) enjoyed the perception she was a decent person by being a foster parent, and 4) felt she would get away with the abuse because of her family's reputation and connections.

I wonder how many foster homes provide a truly caring and comforting environment to children in need? I know there are many, but I worry the majority are nothing but money making opportunities for people with no real desire to help children. Like Ladybass having to go to her room when she came home from school -- out of sight out of mind. Minimal care for the same price as good care. In this case, horrific abuse and she was being paid to do so. Did a social worker ever check on this child to see how he was doing? When he was the only child in the home to be home schooled, did anyone wonder why? Considering how much money states pay to provide a home and to manage a foster child's care, these children should not be suffering from abuse or neglect.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Openmind For This Useful Post:

I grew up in the foster care system, off and on. I had some good ones and some bad ones, none were ever this bad. What this woman did is the absolte pinnacle of what is feared about the foster care system. She sullied the name of the good fosters that I have met. My friend K is a foster mom, has been for about 13 years. I forwarded the link to her, and she called me in tears. We both agree that a lot of times, foster kids end up ignored and they are treated differently from other kids in the home...but not with a blatant disregard for their very life. (It doesn't happen at her house, but it does happen.)
    But there is a big difference between that and this. It's bad enough to know that you aren't included in things, that you aren't actually loved...but to have someone hurt you over and over again for no other reason than that your parents were crappy in their role, there are no words for that.
    Evil might apply. It's close.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

I like how after he related the ordeal to police and the monster was arrested, he was placed in the care of CPS...weren't they supposed to be protecting him in the first place? Who monitors the foster care placements?

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Apostapler For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Apostapler View Post
    I like how after he related the ordeal to police and the monster was arrested, he was placed in the care of CPS...weren't they supposed to be protecting him in the first place? Who monitors the foster care placements?
    AMEN!

My heart breaks for this boy.

Not to take away from this youngster I want to thank LadyBass and NMK for sharing their experiences. My dear friend at the age of now 62 is going through it. I watch her suffer daily. Struggle. Abandoned and I mean abandoned as in left in a home all alone just three little kids back in the day. Seperated from her two brothers at the orphanage.

****Then she has papers that say "Not to be adopted out****** O.K. well if you have no birth cert, and only a Baptismal cert with fake names on it who said you couldn't be adopted out?

However her horror wasn't there. It was in her lovely, respected, super-dee-dooper foster home. Put it this way when there were locks on the fridge and suddenly a man hands you a jar of peanut butter all to yourself wouldn't the wife wonder?

My friend said at the age of 10 she'd sit with the jar of peanut butter and eat it slowly in front of everybody while she thought "I got f*c*ed for this so I'm not sharing". Sorry to be so graphic, but I doubt she was stabbed by a knife, but stabbed all the same. Running away and be sent to juvie was more fun she said.

Very, very sad. All of it. Again, my sympathies for this child and my fellow WSers. A thank you to good people like Izzy who actually cares for people in this world. Oh and I looked at this "woman's" photograph. I'd be afraid of her for God sakes. Imagine a 10 year old?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

I can attest for "me and my house" that we have a warm and loving environment for all our kids--birth, adopted, or foster. There's absolutely no difference.

As I type this, our two remaining girls--one special needs teen in permanent foster placement and the other, our adopted adult special needs daughter--are sitting out back in the sun painting their toenails with seven fat and sassy rescue dogs lolling around them.

They did clean their bathroom this morning and helped with some other chores but are going out this afternoon with their Dad for new CDs and then to Ballet Folklorico. They are cherished and adored and valued. We couldn't do it any other way.

If you can't do that....choose another avocation/passion.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    I can attest for "me and my house" that we have a warm and loving environment for all our kids--birth, adopted, or foster. There's absolutely no difference.

As I type this, our two remaining girls--one special needs teen in permanent foster placement and the other, our adopted adult special needs daughter--are sitting out back in the sun painting their toenails with seven fat and sassy rescue dogs lolling around them.

They did clean their bathroom this morning and helped with some other chores but are going out this afternoon with their Dad for new CDs and then to Ballet Folklorico. They are cherished and adored and valued. We couldn't do it any other way.

If you can't do that....choose another avocation/passion.
    You are what everyone hopes and prays every child will experience in a foster home. For that matter, in any home. Sadly, that is not always the case.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Openmind For This Useful Post:

Tammy has been released on bond. BB is her father's name, she is not married.

http://www.eacourier.com/articles/20...3151384714.txt

http://www.eacourier.com/articles/20...5855951494.txt
    Last edited by eelyak; 10-23-2010 at 09:01 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to eelyak For This Useful Post: