8.3 Earthquake in Chile and Tsunami Warnings

zoomom

Love, Chaos, & Supper
Reaction score
Seems like the tectonic plates are re-aligning themselves, BUT, the 1906 San Francisco Quake measured at?? 7.8?. This one was 8.3. I'm OK with ground shaking. Been in several. BUT, Not too hip on earthquakes when the buildings are falling down on you. Should i buy ocean-front property in Fresno??? For reals?? Have you been in a BIG ONE? Can't even picture 8.3. Hope they're wrong with all my heart for the people's sake! PLEASE let this not be a disaster!

EDIT - AAARGGHHH! Trying to remember geography and tectonic plates!

EDIT!!!!! Fox reporting 8.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unimaginable to me!!!!!!!!!

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 8.8
Date-Time

* Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 06:34:14 UTC
* Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 03:34:14 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 35.846°S, 72.719°W
Depth 35 km (21.7 miles) set by location program
Region OFFSHORE MAULE, CHILE
Distances 100 km (60 miles) NNW of Chillan, Chile
105 km (65 miles) WSW of Talca, Chile
115 km (70 miles) NNE of Concepcion, Chile
325 km (200 miles) SW of SANTIAGO, Chile
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 7.2 km (4.5 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST=255, Nph=255, Dmin=988 km, Rmss=1.12 sec, Gp= 36°,
M-type=teleseismic moment magnitude (Mw), Version=7
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010tfan

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2010/us2010tfan/

This is a very powerful earthquake and the after shocks will be bad.

First after shock.

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 6.2
Date-Time

* Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 06:52:35 UTC
* Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 03:52:35 AM at epicenter

Location 34.735°S, 72.638°W
Depth 35 km (21.7 miles) set by location program
Region OFFSHORE MAULE, CHILE
Distances 120 km (75 miles) NW of Talca, Chile
185 km (115 miles) WSW of Rancagua, Chile
210 km (130 miles) SSW of Valparaiso, Chile
230 km (145 miles) SW of SANTIAGO, Chile
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 11.6 km (7.2 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 85, Nph= 85, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=1.13 sec, Gp=101°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010tfar

That is an incredibly powerful earthquake.
I have been in earthquakes throughout my life... I can't even imagine one of that magnitude. OMG.

Dr. Fessel:

So does this mean we should be looking at the towns nearest Maule, Chile????? for tseunami ? I've Gotta pull out the big map.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/lt_chile_earthquake

8.8-magnitude earthquake hits central Chile

SANTIAGO, Chile – A massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake struck Chile early Saturday, killing at least 78 people, collapsing buildings and setting off a tsunami.

A huge wave reached a populated area in the Robinson Crusoe Islands, 410 miles (660 kilometers) off the Chilean coast, said President Michele Bachelet.

Tsunami warnings were issued over a wide area, including South America, Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand, Japan, the Philippines, Russia and many Pacific islands.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100227...DeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA2hhd2FpaXVuZGVydA--

Hawaii under tsunami warning

EWA BEACH, Hawaii – A tsunami warning was in effect for Hawaii Saturday following a massive earthquake that struck central Chile.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center also issued a tsunami advisory for the coast of California and an Alaskan coastal area from Kodiak to Attu islands.

The first waves were expected to arrive in Hawaii at 11:19 a.m. Saturday (4:19 p.m. EST).

The center said a tsunami has been generated that could cause damage along coastlines of all islands in the Hawaii. It said a tsunami in California and Alaska was possible.

The Ewa Beach, Hawaii-based center called for "urgent action to protect lives and property" in Hawaii, which is among 53 nations and territories subject to tsunami warnings.

<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61Q0S920100227

Huge earthquake batters Chile, 78 dead

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I can't even imagine. An earthquake of this magnitude and they say the initial quake lasted 90 seconds. Believe me, that's a LONG time to be in the middle of something like that. Then 8.8................

Those poor people.

fran

This is really scary. The Tsunami warning is a very huge one. I hope the people of Hawaii heed the warnings.

The tsunami warning just came across the emergency channel here...I'm not anywhere near the beach (quite far inland), so I'm not worried for myself.

Yes, it seems like all the tectonic plates are realigning, and in a big way. Hopefully, it doesn't affect the West Coast in terms of earthquakes - we're already "overdue" for a big quake here in the Los Angeles area, as well as farther north, like Seattle and Portland.

I had heard of a large quake last night in Japan, as well. This is quite concerning...

I've been in large quakes, but nothing like an 8, let alone an 8.8. God bless those souls...

Best-
Herding Cats

TSUMANI warnings in Hawaii should hit 11AM EST traveling 7,000 miles...

California and Alaska, under tsunami warning as well!

EWA BEACH, HAWAII (AP) - A tsunami warning has been issued for Hawaii, and the California coast and parts of Alaska are under a tsunami advisory.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says the earthquake in Chile has generated a tsunami that could cause damage along coastlines of all islands in Hawaii. The first waves are expected to reach Hawaii at 11:19 a.m. Hawaii time (4:19 p.m. EST).

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12055126

I've been unable to find a map that shows how far out the people would've been affected. I hope that makes sense... My Dad is in Argentina and was headed to Bariloche (near the Chile border, a little south of where the earthquake hit) and I'm just wondering if he would've been affected at all. He was on a 17 hour train ride from the east coast of Argentina and I haven't heard from him yet today...

Prayers for all of the people affected by yet another devastating earthquake and the tsunami's...

Prayers for your dad's safety, SieSie and for those affected by this quake.

Here's a link that gives data for tsunami advisory. The whole west coast from Chili north to Alaska is under warning/advisory.

If, and that's an IF, waves hit the California coast, they will hit shortly after Noon today. The gentleman that was being interviewed live in Hawaii said you should plan for an hour before to an hour after the estimated times.

Salem

Oh.... here's the link: http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/

Prayers for your dad's safety, SieSie and for those affected by this quake.

I second this SieSie - I hope your dad is okay.

Prayers for all those affected by this quake and its aftermath.

Salem

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back