991 users online (161 members and 830 guests)  

Websleuths News

CO - Cassandra Rundle, 37, & her 2 kids, Colorado Springs, 14 Feb 1985

From the Denver Post's excellent Cold Case blog:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcase...led/#more-1253

Just found this one, so I haven't done much research on it. I am amazed that this case hasn't been solved yet, but then again, it was way back in 1985 when things weren't so advanced in terms of forensics, etc.

Just horrible.
    Maima
    =======

That is a horrible case. I've been trying to find more information about it. I can't help but think that it is someone she met when she was running personal ads - even though the police say otherwise.

I guess my question would be what the time line was. Given how he was found, it makes sense that Dietrich might actually have been outside and then might have walked back into the house as the witness stated....BUT, his sister at least fought her attacker which would have made quite a bit of noise if there was in fact over turned furniture. So where was Dietrich when that was going on? Someone was in the house long enough to bind and rape an adult woman, fight, bind and rape a 10 year old and then strangle and beat everyone to death.

That is a whole lot of expelled energy....it must have taken a little while. I wonder if Dietrich spent the night somewhere else??

Boy, I would be looking closely at the ex husband...jmo.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

A few more links...

This article mentions a suspect her father felt was responsible, Phillip E. Wilkinson.

http://www.csindy.com/colorado/getti...nt?oid=1127733

Colorado Springs Detectives

My brother was kidnapped from Colorado Springs in 1986 from his crib in the middle of the night. www.findchristopher.com The Detectives working my brothers case made horrible mistakes and his kidnapping remains unsolved. He was only 7 months old and someone entered our home and took him from his crib. The Lead Detective assigned to his case worked in Sex Crimes and lacked the experience needed. In 23 years I was only interviewed one time the morning my brother was kidnapped, yet I slept in the very next room just feet away. It is hard not to harbor some resentment for the lack of investigating that took place to find this coward who stole an innocent baby. My Family now knows who kidnapped my brother because of our own investigating and new Detectives were assigned to the case. I am determined to make sure justice is served and my baby brother has a voice. Take a look at his facebook page we have set up which has more information on the suspect. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/findchristopher

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    I guess my question would be what the time line was. Given how he was found, it makes sense that Dietrich might actually have been outside and then might have walked back into the house as the witness stated....BUT, his sister at least fought her attacker which would have made quite a bit of noise if there was in fact over turned furniture. So where was Dietrich when that was going on? Someone was in the house long enough to bind and rape an adult woman, fight, bind and rape a 10 year old and then strangle and beat everyone to death.

That is a whole lot of expelled energy....it must have taken a little while. I wonder if Dietrich spent the night somewhere else??

Boy, I would be looking closely at the ex husband...jmo.

That is a lot of energy...and not just that......but for one person to be able to accomplish this it would seem that the victims would know this person. My thought is that the kids may not have immediately escaped or run if they thought (or were told) that they would be OK if they cooperated.

The ex seems hinky to me as well. If he was bringing a record as a valentine gift......it seems inappropriate considering the fact that she was currently seeing someone. To have taken the whole family to a move just prior to the event almost seems planned.

From February 2012:

http://gazette.com/few-left-to-remem...article/133323

The truth is that Valentine’s Day haunts her. Feb. 14, 1985, marks the day her 37-year-old step-daughter Cassandra Rundle and Cassandra’s two young children were found brutally killed in their Ivywild home. The triple slaying is one of the more horrific crimes in Colorado Springs history — and no one was ever arrested...

Now, after 27 years, the number of people with direct knowledge of the case is dwindling. Cassandra Rundle’s mother, father and sister have all died. So has Lou Smit, one of the detectives who revisited the case years after the killings...

Reisler said police inside worked meticulously to preserve evidence, and even called in the Colorado Bureau of Investigation for help. “We locked that house up for more than a month,” he said. The problem wasn’t finding a suspect, he said, it was narrowing down a long list of possible suspects...