OR - Ashlynn Anderson, 4, killed by Rottweiler, Svensen, 28 Feb 2010

Missizzy

Reaction score
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/03/four-year-old_killed_by_rottwe.html

Four-year-old girl killed by Rottweiler in Astoria, OR

"A 4-year-old Astoria-area girl died Sunday after being mauled by her family's Rottweiler.

Clatsop County deputies were called to a Svenson home, 4200 block of Hillcrest Loop Road, just east of Astoria, at about 1 p.m. after Jesse Browning called 9-1-1 to report his wife's daughter, Ashlynn Anderson, had been attacked, said Sheriff Tom Bergin.

Ashley's mother is D'Ette Browning. Jesse Browning is her stepfather.

Jesse Browning and and his father Jay Browning star on The History Channel's "Ax Men." Jay Browning is the owner of Browning Logging. The show, which airs Sundays, portrays the lives of loggers across the U.S......."

more at link

This story bothers me on so many levels. I am a dog lover through and through. I share my home and bed with seven. I happen to know a lovely Rottweiler very well but I have a lot of cautious respect for his changing moods. I also know 4 year olds and how they can be impulsive.

I really don't want to start a nasty debate about dog breeds and child safety but I do want to point out that another aggressive dog was removed from this home recently. I am just heartbroken that a child had to die such a gruesome death and that the dog probably has no idea where his playmate went. Sometimes, the pet isn't the right fit for the family. JMO

At least if one of my 6 pounders bites one of the grandkids (never happened but always could), they wouldn't be dead. It's just terribly sad.

So sad! I heard this on the news yesterday, but hadn't released the names.

this is such sobering and terrible news!! As some of you know, I have 5 rottweilers. Some are show dogs, one is SAR training and one is a therapy dog. I also have children, even toddlers. Stories like this remind me that Rottweilers are sometimes NOT the giant plush toys we think they are. Ours are well trained, very calm, and an active part of our family, but I'm always humbled by news like this. I never ever leave the children unattended with our dogs, ever, not for a minute. Its a precaution I will always be willing to take with big dogs and little kids living in the same home. This is such sad news, my prayers are with the family. No one should ever have to lose a child in a horrific way.

i for one never think a rottweiler is a 'giant plush toy' there dispoosition adn appearence to me reminds me of dobermans....guard dog dobermans

mimimama5--I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your gracious and thoughtful post. It is devastatingly sad when "your" breed gets bad press. I am so sorry. The fact that you recognize your dogs' strength and power tells me that you are cautious. It's really no different than having little ones around horses or cattle.

I watched a youtube video the other day that freaked me out. A mom was videotaping her tiny toddler as two beautiful large dogs--a Dobie and a retriever, I think--circled the baby. One dog was claiming dominance and "protecting" the baby. The other would attempt to approach and the other would growl and "cut in". I could not believe that this obviously loving mom and dog owner did not see the writing on the wall. One lunge, with the baby in the middle, is all it would take.

We really have to respect our pets and recognize they are animals. We should only trust so far.

if breeding and owners are bad a normally lovable dog (like a retreiver or lab) can become cujo part 2.

it can also be said that the opposite might be true, a lousy pet breed like a pit bull or doberman might be a saint if given the right owner.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back