1179 users online (160 members and 1019 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USPS to propose 5-day mail schedule, major cuts

Snail mail might soon get even slower.

The U.S. Postal Service plans to propose Tuesday an adjusted mail service schedule, which will likely cut Saturday delivery. The agency will also suggest closing some branches and expanding its use of self-service kiosks in grocery stores and other popular retail spots, as part of its effort to work its way out of a mountain of debt.

USPS posted a $3.8 billion loss in its 2009 fiscal year, the latest in a multiyear string of whopping losses. Mail volume was down 12.7% for the year, a trend the agency expects to continue over the next decade as more consumers opt for online bill payments and message delivery.

The Post Office plans to announce the specifics of its proposed new business model on Tuesday. Its plans will then go before Congress for review. A significant postal price hike is also under consideration, although the price most consumers care about -- the rate for a first-class stamp -- is locked in at 44 cents for 2010.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/USPS-t...52368.html?x=0
    Last edited by Dark Knight; 03-02-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

It has to go through Congress to be approved. The way Congress is running right now, the whole idea will probably come to a screeching halt.

I'd have no problem with a 5 day delivery schedule. It probably should have happened a long time ago. Rush overnight delivery services will still be available when necessary.

I'm all for a 5 day delivery schedule.

jmo

I am out doing things a lot of Saturday and it would probably be better for me if mail wasn't delivered that day. If they have to do something to cut costs, this seems reasonable to me.

I don't think mail needs to get any slower, and having 2 days in a row with no delivery would be more disruptive than you might think. At least spread the days off out a bit. Maybe the Postmaster General needs to take a major paycut first.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

I agree with Dark Knight. Two non-delivery days in a row will be very disruptive. If they are going to cut a day then do it mid-week.

my husband works for PO and this step is coming way too late...doubtful it can be of much help at this point...i think 5 days a week is plenty...hope they do it but as poster says, if it has to go thru congress...forget it. i thinh government has a pact not to agree on anything as it might seem like the other side is getting an edge somehow...

I've mailed items on a Sunday to find they were delivered to a near destination on a Monday, Tuesday at the latest.

If the mail continued to move over the weekend but only the Saturday deliveries were eliminated, I'm all for it.

Saturday is my designated day to sort thru the week's snail, a good 98% of which goes directly to the recycle bin.

I know it's unlikely to happen, but what about increasing the rates for bulk (advertising) mail?

I for one would be happy, as would the trees.

Just for a little walk down Memory Lane and to reveal I am older than dirt, I remember when I was a child in the 1950s, a stamp for a letter was 4 cents and we had TWO mail deliveries a day.

Back then, we had no idea how things would be today!

Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    I think it's a great idea and long past due!

I'm fine with 5 days, and I give 2 thumbs up to the idea on raising bulk mail prices.

It should be a lot more expensive to annoy people.

Hey, while we're at it, can we bring back local telephone charges for telemarketers only???

That would be awesome!

How about if we could sign up for how many days of home delivery we would like. I would be very OK with 1 or 2 at my home.

I really don't care about not receiving my bills and all of the annoying junk mail for one less day per week. Where it is going to hurt is with some mail-based subscriptions such as Netflix. The value for your money depends a lot on efficient mail delivery in both directions. I have had Netflix for 8 years and love it, but no Saturday delivery is going to cut down on the number of dvds I can receive per my monthly fee and also interfere with weekend movie viewing. I am sure there are other similar subscription services that will be affected terribly from this.
    Last edited by Cypros; 03-04-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Our govt. agencies worry me...........I don't know if this will fix it, help yes.......but I still think it won't be enough. Maybe I'm wrong....
    [/I]

I'm all for getting rid of Saturday delivery. If I send back my Netflix movies on Weds. I get them back by Friday anyway! Now if I could just make sure they don't deliver junk mail!!
    "I am confident that, in the end, common sense and justice will prevail. I'm an optimist, brought up on the belief that if you wait to the end of the story, you get to see the good people live happily ever after."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast