1245 users online (288 members and 957 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

CA - State Senator Roy Ashburn was Arrested for Allegedly Driving Drunk; It Gets So

"Sacramento, Calif.

BAD: CBS affiliate CBS13 reports that Roy Ashburn, a state senator from Southern California was arrested for allegedly driving drunk.

"

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/03...tml?tag=latest

note: comments about this story @ link are entertaining
    Last edited by JBean; 03-06-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: copyright

I do feel for this mans family if they were unaware. As for the senator, ummmm, I would guess you had better re-stance your views on gay rights. Sheesh louise!

Ashburn takes leave amid questions over his sexual orientation
    Wyatt Buchanan, Chronicle Sacramento Bureau
    Saturday, March 6, 2010

"Republican state Sen. Roy Ashburn of Bakersfield has taken leave from his elected position until at least Monday after his arrest on suspicion of drunken driving started a firestorm over his sexual orientation.

Ashburn, 55, has served in the Legislature since 1996 and consistently has voted against bills that would expand legal protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Californians. The single father of four is among lawmakers with the staunchest records against those issues."

+

"In 2004, a reporter with the Bakersfield Californian asked Ashburn directly about his sexual orientation, and the senator said only, "I'm surprised you're asking that," according to the newspaper. A columnist there asked him again last year and he said, "I think there are certain subjects that are simply not relevant and this is one of them. It has no bearing on the job I do."

Ashburn has voted against bills establishing same-sex marriage, banning discrimination based on sexual orientation in businesses, and strengthening anti-bullying and harassment protections for gay youth in public schools.

Equality California, the state's leading gay rights lobbying organization, has consistently given Ashburn a zero-percent rating in its annual scorecard of lawmakers' votes on gay rights. Geoff Kors, the executive director of Equality California, said Ashburn has "one of the worst records of anyone in the Legislature" on expanding rights for LGBT people."

more . . .

I think this guy, and probably there are a few others like him, are pure scum.

I hate hypocracy!

I am sad that some are compelled to hide vital parts of themselves. But situations like this, where Ashburn actually worked against GMBTs, makes me really angry.

I know it's a delicate subject .....this topic has been read a lot, but after a couple days has only the 2 comments...hmmm. I considered posting it in "smile", a serious topic but the item was written in such an amusing style. My BFF happens to be a gay man, I'm straight, have several gay friends. We have serious conversations & a lot of laughs about our differences. Here is the Borowitz Report follow-up, equally halarious to CBS article:

GOP Lawmaker Demands Recall of Car That Drove Him to Gay Club

Anti-gay California State Sen. Roy Ashburn today demanded a sweeping recall of the vehicle that drove him to a gay nightclub this week.

Sen. Ashburn, a Republican who has consistently voted for anti-gay legislation, said that the car drove him to the club “against my will.”

“If we are recalling cars for problems with their brakes and power steering, then surely we should be recalling vehicles that force their drivers to go to gay nightclubs,” Sen. Ashburn said.

The state senator said not only did the car drive him to the gay nightclub, but it forced him to enter the club and party there for hours, resulting in his later arrest for DUI.

“I can’t tell you what a menace this car is,” he said. “It really is the gayest car I’ve ever seen.”

In addition to calling for a recall of the gay car, Sen. Ashburn said he would sponsor legislation mandating that all California vehicles be fitted not only with GPS but gaydar.

Last edited by noZme; 03-06-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Woah, Nelly!

I do hope he'll be held to the utmost standard for driving drunk. No reason he should escape the same punishment any regular Joe would receive. He'll have his own demons to contend with; the worst being the heartbreak of his family.

I am 100% for equal rights for all citizens. If he was hiding bisexual/homosexual tendencies then shame on him. He could have been a voice of support for homosexual/lesbian couples without revealing his own preferences. Seriously, shame on him for all of it.
    Last edited by Disguiseduser0308; 03-06-2010 at 05:30 PM.