MI - Leonard Olear for rape, Clinton Twp, 2009

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Victim's Mom Fumes With Anger and Disbelief

Updated: Thursday, 04 Mar 2010, 11:43 PM EST
Published : Thursday, 04 Mar 2010, 11:43 PM EST
myfoxdetroit.com staff

He was convicted of rape by a jury of his peers. But instead of sending him to prison - like it says under state guidelines -- a Macomb County judge let him go home! How could this happen? That's what Fox 2's Brad Edwards wanted to know.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/brads_edge/macomb-county-judge-lets-convicted-rapist-go-free

==========================================

Jail guard gets one year for rape

Published: Wednesday, January 20, 2010
By Gordon Wilczynski, Macomb Daily Staff Writer

Leonard Olear, 29, a suspended Macomb County corrections officer, was sentenced to one year in the St. Clair County Jail and placed on three years probation for raping a woman in her home in Clinton Township on Jan. 11, 2009.

The jail sentence was handed down on Wednesday by Macomb County Circuit Judge Peter B. Maceroni. The judge said he could have sentenced Olear to 21 months to 35 months in prison but decided to deviate on the lower sentence for several reasons.

The judge said he received 31 letters of support from acquaintances and relatives of Olear. He said Olear is 29 years old with no prior criminal record and cooperated fully with Clinton Township police during the investigation.

It also was pointed out that Olear received numerous awards as a guard at the Macomb County Jail. He said the conviction cost Olear his job and he now must register with the state as a sex offender.

Olear remains free until Feb. 10 when Maceroni will decide whether he can remain free during an expected appeal.

The victim, who is in her mid-20s, did not attend the sentencing. But Karen Phillips, a spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office Victim's Rights Division, read in a prepared statement from the victim that the rape changed her life. The woman, who was in law school, wrote that she was forced to drop out and that the trauma of the rape affected her job.

more here

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2010/01/20/news/doc4b572958e5ed1539274600.txt

WTH!! Who cares if he's a "nice guy" or "won awards"???!!!!

This judge needs to be locked up!!

they protect there own what do we expect?

a 100 letters from supporters didnt help the girl in the case i worked on, twice wrongfully convicted of something she didnt do.

Macomb County, who'd have thunk?
I don't live in Macomb, thankfully. But let me give you an overview from a neighboring county. The rapist is young, employed in the law enforcement sector, above reproach, able to afford a lawyer, and likely very charming and trial savvy.
The victim is also young, according to the article, but she is younger, making her non-credible. She was working to become employed in the law sector, a men's job, gotta keep that glass ceiling intact. She wa still a student, she did not have handfuls of glowing recommendations and character letters, she was never given the chance to show her skills. She didn't come to trial, there was no human face put on her.

I've been a rape victim in MI, and this how the judges think. There's one in Oakland County that actually asked a rape victim, "You have to be more clear, saying you are in pain is not enough, we need to hear details of how much and where. If I can't picture the injury, it didn't happen. It's not my fault you have no photographs."
or the judge that fell asleep during a molestation trial and waoke to tell the defense attorney that he was entitled to a nap, since all three kids told the same story, he wasn't missing anything. As JVM says, there may be a nationwide War on Women, but in MI, there is a definite War on Victimized Women. As always, MOO.

give me 5 minutes with either of those judges you mentioned

I just emailed JVM via her website about this jerk judge -- but was wondering if anybody else had a better email addy for her.

TIA!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back