Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    CrimeSolver:

That is indeed the photo I was referring to. Thank you for posting it here. I didn’t know how to as I’m not very computer tech savvy, I’m afraid. Would it be possible for you to present this photo in a single post alongside or above the one of Steven Kraft I linked to so others might compare them?

Your observation about apparently anachronistic clothing is astute. Indeed, one of the reasons I had some doubts about this theory is that the clothing the boy is wearing isn’t what Steven had been wearing at the time he went missing. However, I reasoned that it was possible that Devlin (or whomever took the picture and presumably abducted the boy if it is Steven) made the boy dress in other clothes that he provided as a way to minimize the chance the boy would be recognized if the photo ever publicly surfaced.

You say the clothes look to be early eighties? Could the clothes have once belonged to Devlin (born in 1965) or one of his brothers at around that age? The dungs look somewhat beaten to me. Your point about the photograph looking too old, however, does reassure me to some extent. If you are expert in such matters, or even very knowledgeable, then this would indeed seem to rule out this theory. As I said, never have I been so hopeful to be wrong about anything.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Armchair14; 05-02-2010 at 03:45 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Armchair14 For This Useful Post:

Armchair14, no, I'm no authority on photography or fashion. Empirically, though, I would suggest that photo was not taken in 2001 or later. The clothes, the furniture, the faded tint of the image, all indicate, to my admittedly inexpert eye, a much older time period (early to mid-'80s, perhaps as old as late-'70s).

Below is the side-by-side you wanted, if I can get them side-by-side. They might end up one over the other.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrimeSolver For This Useful Post:

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CrimeSolver For This Useful Post:

CrimeSolver - I'm no expert either but I agree with everything you say.

Short of Devlin or another kidnapper using an old camera, old clothes (from his own childhood) and being in a place that hadn't been refurbished for 20 years or more, I can't see this being the case.

I do see a very strong resemblance between the two boys but I suspect it's no more than an unfortunate coincidence.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cymro For This Useful Post:

CrimeSolver,

Thank you very much. That was most kind of you. I appreciate it.

Cymro,

Yes, I think CS and you are right, and I thank you for also noting what appears to be a striking resemblance between the boys. I’m not a man given to wild fancies of imagination, and I’m glad to see that verified here. Yes, I suppose my hunch is wrong and that makes me exceedingly happy, though I’m still wary about whomever this kid had actually been. Maybe it had been something innocuous or maybe it had been a kidnapping shot. Perhaps someone will identify it one day and remove all doubts, hopefully with a happy resolution.
    Last edited by Armchair14; 05-02-2010 at 04:40 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armchair14 For This Useful Post:

There is definitely a resemblance, but how close it is one cannot say because of the positioning and the poor quality of both photos, especially the horizontal one. All I can say is that both boys are blond and roughly of the same age and appearance.

It would be nice to positively identify the kid in this photo and all of the ones posted at Noreen Gosch's website, and hopefully explain away the photos as being the work of some creep or creeps who took pics and then let the boys go to live out their lives.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrimeSolver For This Useful Post:

The piece of furniture, or sectional, the boy in the google image appears to be inside a camper. The dining table folded down to be level with the seats and cushions from the seats and the back of the seats would cover the table and seats to make a bed. It looks like a red plastic water container under the bed which was used for camping also. Is there a way to determine which manufacturer used that plaid pattern for cushions and what years that plaid pattern was used in campers? The photo reminds me of a photo that came from a polaroid camera.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SherlockJr For This Useful Post:

Sherlock:

You’re very observant. It would seem logical that whoever took the picture, for whatever reason, would use a self-developing camera for obvious reasons. If the photographer, and possible abductor, used an old Polaroid, I don’t know if that could make the photograph look older than what it is or not. CS and Cymro seem fairly certain that it is from a much earlier time period than when Steven Kraft had been that age and went missing. If so, then the kid in the Google Image photo is either now a man in his forties and hopefully doing just fine or is beyond human help.

It just seems a little odd to me that there should have been two kids separated in time by twenty years who should have appeared so similar in appearance, with their hair seemingly styled identically down almost to the last strand, its texture and the way it flows and such; the pseudo-sideburns (not covering the ear) positioned and angled identically and the locks falling over their foreheads in exactly the same way and spot on the right side. (The gag is distorting the boy's hair in the back of the GI photo.)

If you (or anyone) find any information out about your camper hunch and the décor as to time period, please report back.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Armchair14; 05-04-2010 at 02:13 PM.

I'd like to point out that the Devlin family cabin was in the area where this steven boy disappeared. Also, some people keep the same furniture for years and years and don't buy new stuff. For instance, up until my parents bought a new house in 1999 they had the same furniture they had in the late 60's. I can't see someone changing out the furniture in a cabin they only go to in the summer or a couple weekends a month changing the decor to go along with changing styles. As for the film, maybe they bought a bunch of rolls at one time and so they had older leftover film from 10 years prior to use up. Also, you can get clothes that look like that from thrift stores.

I don't want this kid to be Steven, I just had some thoughts I wanted to share.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buffetoflies For This Useful Post:

This photo looks to me like it might have been taken inside of an RV.

The wide cushions with no back rest, and the storage space underneath appear to be something designed to be converted to a bed. The cheap paneling is also typical of something that you would see inside of an RV.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

I agree it looks like an RV or possibly a mobile home and there are plenty of those on Craigs List right now that are straight out of the 70s inside.

Everything could be 20 years old or more at the time they came together, and I wasn't being sarcastic in suggesting that - but it does seem so unlikely.

I think the photos look remarkably like the same boy. The hair and his nose looks the same to me. Of course it's hard to tell with the one where he is laying down, we can only see the side of his nose.

I agree with buffetoflies, there are probably lots of people who have older furniture, especially if it's a vacation type home. It does look like an RV or Travel Trailer of some sort.

As for the yellowing of the film, years ago my mom developed some older film she had and it came out looking yellow, very similar to the pic above. FWIW IMO
    IMO

I have wondered what Devlin has to gain by denying it if he was involved in Steven Kraft's dissapearance? He s not getting out of jail ever though maybe he does not want everyone to know about whatever else he has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I have wondered what Devlin has to gain by denying it if he was involved in Steven Kraft's dissapearance? He s not getting out of jail ever though maybe he does not want everyone to know about whatever else he has done.
    That's a good point.

I just hope LE has checked out that photo and compared to Steven Kraft. Whether it's Devlin or not, IMO the photo resembles Steven. Probably not him but worth checking.
    IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
    That's a good point.

I just hope LE has checked out that photo and compared to Steven Kraft. Whether it's Devlin or not, IMO the photo resembles Steven. Probably not him but worth checking.
    CH:

Who is "LE," please?

Thanks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast