Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: LA - Douglas Schantz, 54, New Orleans, 5 Mar 2010

LA - Douglas Schantz, 54, New Orleans, 5 Mar 2010

Energy exec reported missing in New Orleans
    By JENNIFER RADCLIFFE
    Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
    March 6, 2010, 5:41PM

The president of a Houston energy company disappeared in New Orleans early Friday, according to police who are trying to get surveillance video from the Bourbon Street area where colleagues last saw him.

Douglas Schantz, 54, is president of Houston-based Sequent Energy Management, one of the largest wholesale gas marketers in the country.

Colleagues last saw Schantz wearing a blazer and tie between 1 a.m. and 2 a.m. Friday in a Bourbon Street bar, Assistant Police Superintendent Marlon Defillo said on Saturday.

His wife reported him missing after he failed to meet his daughter for a flight home later that morning. Schantz’s hotel key card had not been used since Thursday, and his bank and phone accounts were untouched, Defillo said.

“It’s completely out of line with how this individual conducts his day-to-day business,” Defillo said. “Typically when someone comes to New Orleans to have a good time, they’ll be gone for a couple of hours. When he has engagements and did not attend, that’s a concern.”

Company spokesman Alan Chapple confirmed that Schantz was in New Orleans on business. The company is working around-the-clock to assist in the search, he said.

“We are deeply concerned about Doug,” he said. “We’re working with law enforcement and doing everything we can to get Doug back home safely.”

He is described as white, about 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds, with a medium build, blue eyes and short, straight, dirty-blonde hair. Before being named president of Sequent Energy in May 2003, Schantz was a vice president at Houston-based Cinergy Marketing and Trading. He’s also worked at KM Marketing, L.P., a subsidiary of Kinder-Morgan Inc, as well as Tenneco Energy Company and Transco Energy Company.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...y/6900636.html

ETA: downloadable flier from TES site where he's also listed as missing (http://texasequusearch.org/2010/03/m...ans-la-030510/)

http://texasequusearch.org/wp-conten...ntzDouglas.pdf
    Last edited by Texas Mist; 03-06-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added TX abbrev.
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

A little bit more info at the below link with comments talking about how bad that particular area is.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...g_houston.html

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Approximate area he went missing from.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...06856&t=h&z=17

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

tarabull is offline Sometimes learning is finding out what we already know.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    A little bit more info at the below link with comments talking about how bad that particular area is.

Interesting comments made a few minutes ago by TrumpetingTheTruth...

Seems they might have found him tho it's not confirmed...apparently was an unidentified victim of a beating death found at 7am near the intersection of Interstate 610 and St. Bernard Avenue in Gentilly.
    KINDLY NOTE: Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy any post made by me.
    Further, my posts are merely my humble opinion unless otherwise supported by a linked source for back-up. Thank you.

"It is through science that we prove, but through intuition that we discover." - Henri Poincare

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tarabull For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tarabull View Post
    Interesting comments made a few minutes ago by TrumpetingTheTruth...

Seems they might have found him tho it's not confirmed...apparently was an unidentified victim of a beating death found at 7am near the intersection of Interstate 610 and St. Bernard Avenue in Gentilly.
    Here is a link to the beating death.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...eating_de.html

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DairyGirl For This Useful Post:

http://www.fox8live.com/mostpopular/...kuBQ5TUiQ.cspx

(snip)
    Around 10:30 that night Schantz and his colleagues headed to Club Razzoo on Bourbon street.

New Orleans Deputy Chief, Marlon Defillo says at a press conference "And at 2:00 a.m., one of Mr. Schantz colleagues who

noticed he was originally standing at the bar by himself drinking was not there." Friends didn't suspect anything out of the

ordinary and headed back to their hotel rooms at the Royal Sonesta. Friday morning they boarded a plane heading back to

Houston for a meeting. Colleague, Mark Homestead says "We were supposed to have a staff meeting at Noon on Friday and

we were all sitting there waiting for him to show up."

Schantz's wife called New Orleans Police and reported him missing.

Michael Schantz the victim's son says "Last time he was seen was 2:00 a.m. leaving Razzoo's and on video surveillance he

took a right instead of a left, that's all we know." NOPD Homicide investigators spent Saturday afternoon talking with

business owners along Bourbon Street. Defillo says "We've checked his bank records their inactive, cell phones their inactive.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

I'm thinking the body found early this a.m. (beating death) is not Mr. Schantz or we would have heard something by now.

ITA that Bourbon Street is not a place for anyone to walk alone, even if they are familiar w/ NOLA & are street savvy.

Prayers for Douglas & his family that he is found safe any minute now.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    ita the time does not fit for a highly patrolled area. I hope he is found soon
    This bee my opinion

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

probably a crime of opportunity here, sad to say. I doubt a kidnapping. Voluntary departure is possible as in all these cases but the sleaze factor of that neighborhood raises the odds that he was the victim of a crime.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Just wanted to comment on my state, New Orleans as a city, and Bourbon Street...

Many people "party" on Bourbon St. It is very well patrolled. I'm about an hour and a half from there and most weekends, I hear friends saying...going to NOLA. I mean female friends. Like 2 or 3 will just get together and go "pass a good time" as we say down here.

Like all big cities, New Orleans has crime. But, it's a great place with great people.

Just kinda wanted to point that out.

I pray for Douglas and his family.

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    A report from a B.R. news station.
    Says all of Douglas' belonging were still in hotel room.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=12097351

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Search continues for missing Houston energy-firm president last seen on Bourbon Street
    By Richard Thompson, The Times-Picayune
    March 06, 2010, 10:29PM

<snip>

Colleagues recall seeing Schantz, president of Sequent Energy Management, between 1 and 2 a.m. at a bar in the 500 block of Bourbon Street, Defillo said. He was wearing a jacket and tie.

Several of those colleagues, who had since flown back to Houston, returned to New Orleans on Saturday with plans to fan out across the French Quarter to distribute fliers seeking information about Schantz's whereabouts.

"They had shots of him leaving the place he was at and then the next clip shows a taxi pull away, and he's not on the street after that," said Eric Smith, associate director of the Tulane Energy Institute, which included Schantz on its advisory board.
    Defillo said Saturday that police were still trying to determine whether Schantz got into the cab.

Schantz was staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel with five or six other executives, Smith said.

During Thursday's reception, Schantz made plain his feelings for New Orleans, his daughter, Brittani Schantz, said in a phone interview.

He talked about "how close to his heart New Orleans is, and how much he loves the city," Brittani, a Tulane senior, said, adding that he "loved New Orleans more than anything."
    Meanwhile, the incident didn't seem to deter other visitors in the French Quarter on Saturday.

Ray Huntzicker, who works at a restaurant in the 500 block of Bourbon Street, said he saw detectives early Saturday morning inquiring for footage from security cameras. He expressed concern that business in the neighborhood might suffer.

But others, such as Baton Rouge resident Roger Cutrer, said word of the missing man didn't make them feel nervous to be around the French Quarter.

"When you come here often, you know where to go and where not to go," Cutrer said.

more here

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...missing_h.html
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

The below map shows the straight route he should have taken. It was only a mile, why would he get into a cab and where would he go?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...06856&t=h&z=17

It appears that taking a right out of the bar was the right way to go.
    Last edited by SuziQ; 03-07-2010 at 02:27 AM.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

The below map shows the straight route he should have taken. It was only a mile, why would he get into a cab and where would he go?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...06856&t=h&z=17

It appears that taking a right out of the bar was the right way to go.
    Thanks for the map, SuziQ.

I can understand him taking a cab - say if he were tired, or didn't feel like the walk because he'd had some drinks.

You'd think by now LE would have talked to the cab company & found out which cabbie was at the bar at that time -- and if the cabbie picked him up.

This world is getting so crazy....doesn't seem to matter how old you are, or your economic status.....you can still disappear into thin air.

ETA: public records on salary http://projects.ajc.com/executive-pa...las-n-schantz/

Does anybody else think that an add'l $2500 to Crimestoppers by his employer is ummmm - a little on the low side?

IDK, maybe it's not if they don't want this to turn into some ransom request for his return....Maybe LE asked them to keep it low?
    Last edited by Texas Mist; 03-07-2010 at 02:58 AM.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

The river seems like an obvious place to check. William Hurley was found in a river in Boston late last year after attending a hockey game. It looks like he accidentally fell in and drowned even though he was ex-Navy. Another missing man was recently found in Lake Michigan although it doesn't seem we know the circumstances of that.

If he didn't get into a cab, the river is just a little farther than Douglas' hotel. Maybe he got confused and went the wrong direction then encountered a criminal element or just accidentally fell in. It looks like there is a straight drop off to the river at Woldenberg Park. It's tough to tell what the guardrailing looks like there from the satellite photos.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chili Fries For This Useful Post:

I don't know New Orleans, have never been there, but while it is not a dangerous as Detroit, it is much more dangerous that some other major cities.

Maybe he got picked up by a fake cab. Not that there is any known problem with that but if he was drunk and waved his arm for a ride, who knows who might have picked him up. Maybe he was looking for some late night 'fun' that went awry.

In some of these cases I get a strong sense someone bolted. At this juncture, with so little information out there, I am inclined still to think this was a criminal act. Although, if you think about it, standing by the bar drinking alone when he had associates with him, and walking out the door without saying goodbye could indicate he was going someplace other than his hotel. Does not necessarily mean he was disappearing but if he wanted to meet a lady of the night, then he might not have wanted to announce his departure, lest the other guys say, I'll head back to the hotel with you and share a cab.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

I frequent New Orleans...live in a nearby city and often "herd" groups through Bourbon when hosting events there. I'm not afraid on Bourbon. Frankly, I'm a bit puzzled about the cab story. Bourbon is closed to all vehicle traffic at a certain time in the evening about 4 or 5 p.m. I think. I'm not sure when it reopens but I don't think as early as 2...it may depend on the night. Therefore, I'm puzzled over the cab being on Bourbon which seems to be the indication of the story...it's more like the cab was crossing the side streets as traffic is allowed to do that. However, one story I read said he turned left instead of right so I don't know how you would see that in video from Razoos (spelling?). Unless there is another camera that picked that up. This is a main section of Bourbon so I would believe there is a lot of foot traffic. If, indeed, he did take a cab he was going somewhere other than to his hotel. The Royal Sonnesta, a long-standing FQ hotel with a good reputation, and he would have walked there. A cab trip would have to wind around blocks and blocks due to street closure to get you even close. This man was familiar with New Orleans according to accounts. The story doesn't indicate if he was over the top drunk...or just out for an evening. Since his companions just let him be, it would appear not. There are dozens of policemen on Bourbon Street all the night and especially at night. The later it gets the more observant they are. Sometimes they are on horseback. NO bartenders, regulars, and cabbies are familiar with how to get people too drunk back to their hotels. They check the room keys and get them delivered to the door. This city doesn'[t want any more bad publicity and it is trying very hard. But there are bad elements everywhere. I am very concerned for him.
    Last edited by justathought; 03-07-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: To add: there are dozens of cameras on bourbon

36. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to justathought For This Useful Post:

One more thing, someone on a board wondered if he could have fallen into the river. The river bank is high and the water level lower. In some parts it is railed. Constant river tow and ferry traffic. It is possible with one or two scenarios. Going for a swim (a really stupid thing to do in this part of the river but sometimes people who have had too much to drink try it--usually younger ones --or to commit suicide which is usually successful. That certainly doesn't appear that it would be the case for this man. I'm not trying to be harsh here but just to answer questions. Just falling in....I don't see how that could happen. The thing that stands out to me, is his daughter is a senior at Tulane. This man, from accounts, would have been very familiar with the city. It doesn'[t seem likely that he mixed up left and right coming out of the bar. According to her, he loved the city. I hope for his families sake that he is found safe.

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to justathought For This Useful Post:

Bumping up....

Nothing new this morning.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Bumping up....

Nothing new this morning.

That's what LE says too

No new information in search for Houston exec
    By The Times-Picayune
    March 07, 2010, 12:35PM

New Orleans Police are still looking for a Houston energy company president who was last seen early Friday morning in the 500 block of Bourbon Street.

Douglas Schantz, 54, was reported missing to police by his wife after he didn't show up to meet his daughter for a Friday morning flight, authorities said.

Police had no new developments to report today.
    Schantz, who is about 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds, has blue eyes and short, dark blond hair. He was last seen wearing a navy blazer, a white collared shirt and a tie. A $5,000 reward has been offered for information in his case.

more here - but I didn't see anything that hasn't already been reported

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/..._search_f.html
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

42. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

'snippets'

Colleagues of a Houston energy company president who was last seen wearing a jacket and tie early Friday morning on Bourbon Street are on their way to New Orleans to try to bolster law enforcement efforts to find him.

Meanwhile, a number of Schantz's colleagues were due to arrive in New Orleans on Saturday about 4 p.m., with plans to fan out across the French Quarter to distribute fliers seeking information about his whereabouts, Defillo said.
    ..more at link..
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

Gary Haugen

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

http://www.fox8live.com/mostpopular/...kuBQ5TUiQ.cspx

'snipped'

It's been nearly 48 hours since a Houston resident was last seen at a French Quarter bar. New Orleans Police are posting

100-thousand missing person's fliers throughout the French Quarter looking for corporate executive, Douglas Schantz.

Douglas Schantz, 54, arrived in New Orleans on Thursday to see his daughter, a Tulane University student.
    ..more at link..
    Gary Haugen

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

Very mysterious disappearance! Royal Sonesta is my favorite place to say in the French Quarter. Everything that interests me is in easy walking distance & assumed "safe" because of heavy pedestrian traffic & police presence. I cannot imagine anyone hailing a cab for a distance of only 2 blocks. But then, I think it's strange that Mr Schantz would have left without saying something to one of the group. They were all staying at RS & had most likely been together since dinner. FC clubs are not really conducive to conversation, but he could have caught the eye of another & gestured to indicate he was going. Why did he turn the opposite direction of his hotel when he exited Razzoo? Even if he had been drinking heavily, he knew his way aroung Bourbon Street. Had he been drugged? Wouldn't the company or family have already heard from a kidnapper? Surely hospitals have been checked. A planned disappearance during a visit with his daughter seems especially cruel & it seems they were close, so I discount that possibility. A scarey thought is that he was yanked off the sidewalk, there are many alleys, courtyards, gates & such in FQ. If that was the case & he was robbed, wouldn't the bad guys run away. & if he had been injured or killed by theives, wouldn't he have been found by now? Was he scheduled for a different flight home? Why didn't the other guys miss him on the plane? Surely they were all in 1st Class & would have noted his absence. For that matter, wouldn't they have shared rides to the airport? ...... Many, many questions & nothing adds up.

Totally off topic, but on my mind: I recommend the restuarant, Begue's, in Royal Sonesta. A little pricey, but excellent food & fabulous weekend brunches..... I also love some NO hole-in-the-wall eateries too.

50. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to noZme For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast