Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    LE would be checking the pawn shops as a part of their investigation, IMO. Don't know if that has been done yet.

Those are important points, crocus. Did Mr. Schantz wear a Rolex or a comparable expensive watch?

A mugging certainly seems possible. He may have had a certain amount of cash on him or even paid for a couple of drinks with a large bill. Someone could have followed him out of the bar. I wonder what the next several seconds of video footage shows.

MOO
    **May God Watch Over All Missing and Abused Children**

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LaLaw2000 For This Useful Post:

Police step up search for missing Texas executive last seen leaving New Orleans bar

By MARY FOSTER , Associated Press
    Last update: March 8, 2010 - 7:00 PM

NEW ORLEANS - Police are searching the French Quarter in New Orleans and checking with businesses for surveillance videotapes of a Texas energy executive who disappeared after walking out of a Bourbon Street bar.

About 30 detectives are looking for 54-year-old Douglas Schantz. He was last seen leaving the Razzoo Bar and Patio about 2 a.m. Friday.
    After the dinner, he was with colleagues on Bourbon Street for about two hours. Mark Homestead, a senior vice president at Sequent, says Schantz did not have too much to drink and left the bar before the rest of the group

a little more here

http://www.startribune.com/nation/87012462.html
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Missing Tourist Reward Up To $25,000

http://www.wdsu.com/news/22778050/detail.html

POSTED: 3:50 pm CST March 8, 2010
    UPDATED: 4:12 pm CST March 8, 2010

NEW ORLEANS -- A massive search effort is still under way for the head of a Houston energy company. Now, the reward for anyone with information leading to the return of Douglas Schantz is up to $25,000.

In the story, the event at Tulane is referred to as a reception. Subsequently, the reporter writes, "After the dinner," which would seem to indicate the event at Tulane...which according to accounts was a reception, not a dinner....probably a shorter time frame ending earlier.....backing up from the 2 a.m. time frame....to the two hours....that's midnight. So did the group go to a late dinner? Or was the food at the reception plentiful enough to be considered dinner and the "the dinner" reference an inaccuracy. Don't know where the reception was but assuming on campus...most likely...at the outset it would take at most about 45 minutes to get from one place to the other...either hailing a cab or driving and reparking the car.
    Now, if the group went to a nice FQ restaurant for dinner...can see the ties if they went straight to the bars...but if they simply returned from the reception or even after dinner when staying in the quarter as the Royal Sonnesta is ...the folks, I know, who are also executives head to the room, change to casual clothes and then head out on the street..For people used to the drill, that seems odd to me. Upscale dress is not at all unusual in the FQ during the early to mid evening...but later, not so much.
    My point being if they actually had dinner, where? And did something transpire there that could have led to the later evening disappearance?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to justathought For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    BBM. That was me. Sorry about that. I think I misread .10 as 1.0 miles or something. That makes it even less likely that he would hail a cab to go back to the hotel.

If he did get into that cab, where was he going at 2:am? I guess I'm thinking booty call. He sure as heck wouldn't have been doing some late night shopping at Walmart.

And what are the bar and club hours in NO? Do they stop serving liquor at 2am?
    I figured that's what happened when I looked at the map later. I wanted to stress how close the Sonesta is to Razoo's. We're talking two very short blocks along a pedestrian mall. So there's no way he was looking for a cab to take him back to the hotel. I can say, in all honesty, I would not be afraid to walk alone from Razoo's to the Sonesta , but I grew up near the Quarter and have roamed those streets night and day. That said, I'd have my head up and my shoulders back, and I'd be searching the eyes of everyone around me the same way I would walking down any busy, city street.

The answer to your question I bolded is there are no set hours. NOLA is a 24 hour town.

A few things I've read in the news reports that stood out to me:

• according to his son, he feared nothing and would not be afraid to venture into seedier parts of the city
    • he and his colleagues came for the weekend "to let their hair down"
    • he stayed behind at the bar after his friends left
    • according to one friend, it was not uncommon for him to separate from the group

That makes me think he he left of his own accord and had a destination in mind. You noted that he was seen on the corner of Bourbon and Toulouse which is in the opposite direction from the Sonesta. If I wanted to find a taxi on Bourbon St, that's where I'd look first because there's a cab stand there. He might've known that from previous visits.
    So where did he go? I have two thoughts:

• to a rendevouz with a person he met here on a previous visit and this time something went awry, or;
    • to one of the little clubs in the Marigny or the Bywater.

Visitors who fall in love with a city the way his son says he did with New Orleans usually look for "the real deal", places where they can eat and drink with the locals. The Marigny is just outside the Quarter, across Esplanade Ave. It's a late night spot where one can hear "real" local music until all hours. One club comes to mind which is a favorite with the late, late night crowd. (My husband gets angry with me because I always want to stop in there after a night out. It's a true den of iniquity, and I like to sit back and observe.) A man looking to feed his vices would hit the jackpot there. The Bywater is an old NOLA neighborhood, very colorful and bohemian. Post-K, it has come alive with galleries, cafes and a few great all night clubs. Unfortunately, at this time, it's also a high crime area. It wouldn't be a stretch to think someone spiked his drink and then offered to drive him to his hotel. I find it strange that there has been no activity on his credit cards, though.

I feel awful for him and his family. They've been on my mind all day. I pray they have an answer soon.
    Last edited by bessie; 03-08-2010 at 11:22 PM.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by justathought View Post
    My point being if they actually had dinner, where? And did something transpire there that could have led to the later evening disappearance?
    I don't think this is where anything went wrong. Everything was 'normal' up until the point when Schantz was standing by the bar, away from his cohorts, drinking by himself. Then Schantz decided to leave without announcing his departure.

I personally think he went for some private late night entertainment as in 'lady of the night'. I assume he got rolled after he hooked up with the wrong company.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

There is already another thread started for this man.

You could be right about that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to justathought For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    I don't think this is where anything went wrong. Everything was 'normal' up until the point when Schantz was standing by the bar, away from his cohorts, drinking by himself. Then Schantz decided to leave without announcing his departure.

I personally think he went for some private late night entertainment as in 'lady of the night'. I assume he got rolled after he hooked up with the wrong company.
    I agree with this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
    thank all things holy he wasn't id'd as the beating victim. I seriously pray for his safe return.

That being said, we must look at his 'station' and who was around him recently to feel him as a threat. He was in an upper level position in a US economy that is happy to be sucking something..... even if it is *****.

Bottom line... "change gonna come" could have been a mantra.. So where would he go after that? again mooooooooooo
    Quote Originally Posted by bessie View Post
    I figured that's what happened when I looked at the map later. I wanted to stress how close the Sonesta is to Razoo's. We're talking two very short blocks along a pedestrian mall. So there's no way he was looking for a cab to take him back to the hotel. I can say, in all honesty, I would not be afraid to walk alone from Razoo's to the Sonesta , but I grew up near the Quarter and have roamed those streets night and day. That said, I'd have my head up and my shoulders back, and I'd be searching the eyes of everyone around me the same way I would walking down any busy, city street.

The answer to your question I bolded is there are no set hours. NOLA is a 24 hour town.

A few things I've read in the news reports that stood out to me:

• according to his son, he feared nothing and would not be afraid to venture into seedier parts of the city
    • he and his colleagues came for the weekend "to let their hair down"
    • he stayed behind at the bar after his friends left
    • according to one friend, it was not uncommon for him to separate from the group

That makes me think he he left of his own accord and had a destination in mind. You noted that he was seen on the corner of Bourbon and Toulouse which is in the opposite direction from the Sonesta. If I wanted to find a taxi on Bourbon St, that's where I'd look first because there's a cab stand there. He might've known that from previous visits.
    So where did he go? I have two thoughts:

• to a rendevouz with a person he met here on a previous visit and this time something went awry, or;
    • to one of the little clubs in the Marigny or the Bywater.

Visitors who fall in love with a city the way his son says he did with New Orleans usually look for "the real deal", places where they can eat and drink with the locals. The Marigny is just outside the Quarter, across Esplanade Ave. It's a late night spot where one can hear "real" local music until all hours. One club comes to mind which is a favorite with the late, late night crowd. (My husband gets angry with me because I always want to stop in there after a night out. It's a true den of iniquity, and I like to sit back and observe.) A man looking to feed his vices would hit the jackpot there. The Bywater is an old NOLA neighborhood, very colorful and bohemian. Post-K, it has come alive with galleries, cafes and a few great all night clubs. Unfortunately, at this time, it's also a high crime area. It wouldn't be a stretch to think someone spiked his drink and then offered to drive him to his hotel. I find it strange that there has been no activity on his credit cards, though.

I feel awful for him and his family. They've been on my mind all day. I pray they have an answer soon.
    Respectfully BBM -- just so there's no confusion, it was said at the press conference that Douglas was alone at the bar & left his colleagues behind.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA / TX - Douglas Schantz, 54, missing in New Orleans, 05-Mar-10

I've also read (it's in this thread somewhere) that it was not unusual for him to leave w/o saying anything....which IMO is odd given the reports he's a nice friendly guy....most people I know at least say "hey, see y'all later" & don't just leave behind a group they came with, IYKWIM.
    Last edited by KateB; 04-28-2015 at 10:11 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by scuseme View Post
    There is already another thread started for this man.
    How about a link??

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post
    Respectfully BBM -- just so there's no confusion, it was said at the press conference that Douglas was alone at the bar & left his colleagues behind.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA / TX - Douglas Schantz, 54, missing in New Orleans, 05-Mar-10

I've also read (it's in this thread somewhere) that it was not unusual for him to leave w/o saying anything....which IMO is odd given the reports he's a nice friendly guy....most people I know at least say "hey, see y'all later" & don't just leave behind a group they came with, IYKWIM.
    I stand corrected. The point is still the same. He separated from his friends with no word to them of his plans.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

Thanks Bessie and all locals to Nola. It helps so much for the rest of us to get a feel for the city.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Reward in search for Houston oil exec is increased to $25,000

By Leslie Williams, The Times-Picayune

March 08, 2010, 8:45PM
    The boat with sonar from Texas Equusearch in Dickinson, Texas, is expected to arrive Monday night, said Marlon Defillo, assistant superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department.

The boat will be launched in the Mississippi River, perhaps Tuesday during daylight hours if conditions are right, Tran said.

The dog "with a nose sensitive to microfibers" will be used to pick up the scent of the missing businessman, Defillo said.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...houston_o.html

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast