Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LA - Douglas Schantz, 54, New Orleans, 5 Mar 2010

Oh, how sad. Can't imagine why he would be going there at this time of night. The boat and landing would be clearly closed. The landing for the boat is quite large, marked off, etc. The board does tours for hundreds of tourists all day and into the evening so given his frequency of visiting the city, he would have had plenty of opportunity to see the boat and the river. The view of the river would have been no better than from one of the benches on the river walk on top of the levee. Trying to see a spin on this that is less heart-breaking than suicide, maybe he wanted to sit on a deck chair and just watch the river traffic and listen to the water lap the side of the boat. I think the crew puts those chairs up at the end of the day..or at least stacks them but clearly he would have been tresspassing and would have known that....maybe he wasn't thinking clearly. The river is notorius for its undertow, particularly in mooring situations like this. Heartbreaking.
    Last edited by justathought; 03-09-2010 at 12:33 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justathought For This Useful Post:

Article about the burned body/house. Neighbor thinks it was a teen aged boy, but no identification yet.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Body-found...-87105122.html

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ohiogirl For This Useful Post:

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Yeah, Justathought, I'm trying to think of other things besides suicide too.

But, you know when someone has had too much to drink, they do not always make the best choices. IMO if he was so drunk that you could tell on the video that he is disoriented, he must have been stumbling. KWIM

So, maybe he just made a bad choice and fell in.
    Or, maybe he meant to do it.

IDK - we may never know.
    Last edited by Kimberlyd125; 03-09-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

http://www.steamboatnatchez.com/thumbnails/052_1.jpg

Hopefully this will work, I will look for a better picture of this boat at the dock area.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raeann For This Useful Post:

Sorry hadn't seen the river article.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    Yeah, Justathought, I'm trying to think of other things besides suicide too.

But, you know when someone has had too much to drink, they do not always make the best choices. IMO if he was so drunk that you could tell on the video that he is disoriented, he must have been stumbling. KWIM

So, maybe he just made a bad choice and fell in.
    Or, maybe he meant to do it.

IDK - we may never know.
    i thought i read in a previous article that someone stated he didn't really drink that much....i dunno, just thought i read that.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tk71texas For This Useful Post:

The latest news is so sad....his poor family - trying to make sense of this.

Prayers that Douglas is found today.
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Here is another view of the loading area and the Natchez

http://images.travelpod.com/users/su...leans_x74x.jpg

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raeann For This Useful Post:

This article also has a great family picture with his daughter.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,588562,00.html

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raeann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tk71texas View Post
    i thought i read in a previous article that someone stated he didn't really drink that much....i dunno, just thought i read that.
    I thought I had read that too tk.

But, the latest article said he appeared to be disoriented.
    I don't know.

Maybe he didn't have a whole lot to drink. Maybe somebody put something in his drink. But why? Looks like he himself fell or jumped into the river.
    Looks like no foul play. What would be the reason for someone to spike his drink?

It really has me doing this---.

Conflicting articles.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by raeann View Post
    This article also has a great family picture with his daughter.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,588562,00.html
    What a beautiful family.
    This is so sad.

Prayers to the family. They must be going through hell right now.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

As you can see from the photos, the boat is quite large. Over the years, I've been to and hosted several parties on it. Once was even in a "Members Only" jacket commercial with the Gatlin Brothers on it. Honestly, even in my wilder days, I wouldn't have thought to try to approach it at night after closure. I would have assumed a security guard, a crew member or two on board and definitely video cameras to deter that sort of activity. However, it appears he disappeared off the loading plank/dock. The LE remark about him appearing disoriented is troubling. One thing I learned as I got older, my body would not always react to a defined amount of alcohol the same way so I stopped drinking at all for many years and now only rarely..... So as others have said, we may never know. I am sorry for he and his family.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to justathought For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by justathought View Post
    As you can see from the photos, the boat is quite large. Over the years, I've been to and hosted several parties on it. Once was even in a "Members Only" jacket commercial with the Gatlin Brothers on it. Honestly, even in my wilder days, I wouldn't have thought to try to approach it at night after closure. I would have assumed a security guard, a crew member or two on board and definitely video cameras to deter that sort of activity. However, it appears he disappeared off the loading plank/dock. The LE remark about him appearing disoriented is troubling. One thing I learned as I got older, my body would not always react to a defined amount of alcohol the same way so I stopped drinking at all for many years and now only rarely..... So as others have said, we may never know. I am sorry for he and his family.

I agree, having been to NO many times, I can see WANTING to sit quietly on the boat at night and watching the river, but I certainly could never imagine anything that would make me actually TRY to get onto the boat. It would most certainly require jumping a gate or two and probably also climbing over a deck rail to actually get onto the lower deck from the loading dock.

jmoo

How sad for him and his family. I can't imagine what he was doing down there so late at night. I hope they find him soon.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ohiogirl For This Useful Post:

truly bizarre.

Here we have a super successful corporate exacutive who gets drunk (most likely) and then just walks like a zombie to a restricted area and start walking a plank to a river boat?

Unless there is some scandal that is not yet public, why would this guy take his own life? And if it was not intentional, what could make a successful guy so irrational as to make that trip to the boat?

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    I thought I had read that too tk.

But, the latest article said he appeared to be disoriented.
    I don't know.

Maybe he didn't have a whole lot to drink. Maybe somebody put something in his drink. But why? Looks like he himself fell or jumped into the river.
    Looks like no foul play. What would be the reason for someone to spike his drink?

It really has me doing this---.

Conflicting articles.
    Well, there's the possibility that he received a drugged drink intended for someone else (see my post on page 3 about this likely happening to me and my boyfriend at Razzoo).

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ms_writer For This Useful Post:

Unhappy

it says no body has been found, just that it appears he fell into the river
    This story hasn't been updated or pulled -- says a reporter was on the scene...maybe they have found the body & needed to notify family first.

Body found near river boat may be that of Douglas Schantz
    By Times-Picayune Staff
    March 09, 2010, 10:01AM

A Times-Picayune reporter at the scene says that a body found under the dock near the Natchez river boat appears to be that of missing Houston businessman Douglas Schantz.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...uston_bus.html
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

NOPD: Missing Houston man fell in river; unidentified body found
    fox8live

yeah the headline says it too at fox8live

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tk71texas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ms_writer View Post
    Well, there's the possibility that he received a drugged drink intended for someone else (see my post on page 3 about this likely happening to me and my boyfriend at Razzoo).
    That actually happened to someone I know. Evidently my friend, a man, got up without saying anything and when he got near the bathrooms some guy started harassing him and trying to make him go with him. My friend punched the guy and they both were thrown out of the club. His friends saw from a distance what went down and took him home and got him into bed. They said he was like a zombie and he only remembers getting up from the table. Everyone theorizes that the other guy drugged his drink and was trying to lure him into god knows what.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

fox8live

yeah the headline says it too at fox8live
    just almost unbelievable this could happen.

RIP, Douglas

Prayers for those whose hearts are breaking right now.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

DEVELOPING: Fox News affiliates in Houston and New Orleans are reporting that a body has been found in the Mississippi River. Police are not confirming whether it is the body of missing executive Douglas Schantz. The body is described as a white man dressed in a suit, Fox8live.com in New Orleans reports.
    foxnews

its breaking at foxnews now....
    Last edited by tk71texas; 03-09-2010 at 02:32 PM.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tk71texas For This Useful Post:

Just catching up on this, but it's not out-of-the-realm that this guy was, indeed, drugged at Razzoos. It's a busy club, but also a great place to prey on unsuspecting and/or drunk tourists.

And hello to all of our NOLA people! I used to live in the Irish Channel.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to southern_scout For This Useful Post:

Texas Equuasearch found him.....
    IMO

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amster For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post
    This story hasn't been updated or pulled -- says a reporter was on the scene...maybe they have found the body & needed to notify family first.

Body found near river boat may be that of Douglas Schantz
    By Times-Picayune Staff
    March 09, 2010, 10:01AM

A Times-Picayune reporter at the scene says that a body found under the dock near the Natchez river boat appears to be that of missing Houston businessman Douglas Schantz.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...uston_bus.html
    Yeah, that's what I suspected when they corrected that article earlier. That media had jumped the gun and reported before they notified the family.

This is really sad. It looks like the family may never know if he jumped in or fell.

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

More details

The family of energy executive Douglas Schantz, who disappeared in New Orleans on Friday, are fearing the worst after a body was found today in the Mississippi River.
    Schantz's 25-year-old son Michael Schantz has seen one of several videos that caught his father walking towards the Natchez.

Michael Schantz said that one video showed his father "stumbling" and "grasping for a wall" as he made his way to the dock.

"[In the video] he walks down near the water and there is a gate that he opens," the son said. "I'm sure he just wanted to go reflect or look at the boat."

"There is only one way for him to come back and the tape never shows him coming back," he said.
    But police said today that surveillence tape from Bourbon Street cameras showed Schantz wandering down to the river, spurring a search of the Mississippi River.

Michael Schantz said that his father had been traveling to Brazil before his trip to Louisiana, and was fighting off a cold as well as being extremely "sleep-deprived." He worried that a combination of over-the-counter cold medicine and alcohol may have lead his father to do something dangerous.

"He thinks he's invincible and that nothing is going to hurt him," Michael Schantz said of his father. "He is just fearless."

Michael Schantz says he feared that his father's attraction to the river may have cost him his life.

"My dad loved the water and he was just such a busy guy with work that every time he had a moment to reflect by himself he wanted to be by the water," he said. "He loves any chance he gets to be in or by the water."'

more here-- 2 page article

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/missi...ry?id=10052583
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

48. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast