Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: LA - Douglas Schantz, 54, New Orleans, 5 Mar 2010

Family confirms ID :(

by WWLTV.com

Posted on March 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Updated today at 1:42 PM

NEW ORLEANS - Police have confirmed the body of a man pulled from the Mississippi River is that of missing Houston executive Doug Schantz, according to Associated Press.

Police have pulled the body of a man from the Mississippi River but had to wait to confirm through family memebrs whether it is was the missing Houston man. The body was found near where authorities suspect he may have fallen into the river.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/NOPD...-87114097.html
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=12110181

from a Baton Rouge news source

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Rest in peace Doug.

So sad for Doug's family, but relieved that they don't have to wait and wonder any longer. RIP.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ms_writer For This Useful Post:

RIP Douglas

this is so sad......thank you all for keeping up with and posting information , though I was , as all of you were, in hopes of a better ending........

Prayer thoughts go out to Doug's family and friends, and to all of you who have been touched by this story.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heartfortruth For This Useful Post:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...23/1060/NEWS01

Just trying to add an article from another Louisiana newspaper.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to heartfortruth For This Useful Post:

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Geez how sad and bizarre. It sounds like Doug had way too much to drink and maybe on top of cold medicine or prescription meds and was just really drunk. For people who don't or have never drank to excess it is hard to imagine being in that mind state but I,being a person who used to drink to excess on a semi-regular basis you can go from just feeling happily drunk to stumbling, dizzy and disoriented in a matter of seconds and if you add something like cold medicine into the mix the control you have over your basic motor skills leaves something to be desired. It sounds like when he left the bar he still felt like he was okay and then a few minutes into his walk all that alcohol just hit him causing him to have trouble walking, he saw the boat and being that drunk most people wouldn't think twice about trapsing into a restricted area. He probably just wanted to find a relaxing place to just sit down and wait for this to pass, was standing at the edge w/ bad balance, probably swaying back and forth and just fell in. I have read the undertow can be vicious.

Very, very sad. I feel so badly for his family.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gaia227 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
    Geez how sad and bizarre. It sounds like Doug had way too much to drink and maybe on top of cold medicine or prescription meds and was just really drunk. For people who don't or have never drank to excess it is hard to imagine being in that mind state but I,being a person who used to drink to excess on a semi-regular basis you can go from just feeling happily drunk to stumbling, dizzy and disoriented in a matter of seconds and if you add something like cold medicine into the mix the control you have over your basic motor skills leaves something to be desired. It sounds like when he left the bar he still felt like he was okay and then a few minutes into his walk all that alcohol just hit him causing him to have trouble walking, he saw the boat and being that drunk most people wouldn't think twice about trapsing into a restricted area. He probably just wanted to find a relaxing place to just sit down and wait for this to pass, was standing at the edge w/ bad balance, probably swaying back and forth and just fell in. I have read the undertow can be vicious.

Very, very sad. I feel so badly for his family.
    i can relate a few times a week with this statement, i never drink alone

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by heartfortruth View Post
    http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...23/1060/NEWS01

Just trying to add an article from another Louisiana newspaper.
    Thanks for the link.

GB Douglas & his family while they work thru their grief, and GB Tim Miller.
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Well, hopefully, it is still possible to check out all possible substances ingested through a toxicology report. That should also include checks for anything that might have been "added" to his drink at the bar.

jmoo

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to raeann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    I'm just saying that what some people think passes for fun can have major repercussions if something goes wrong.
    Now that we know what happened here, I tried to look back at my comments to see how close I was or how far off the mark my theories were. I know on more than one occasion I suggested he went off to see a lady of the night, which would appear to be totally wrong. My apologies to the family if that commentary offended them.

My last comments before hearing of the video that showed him walking the plank is quoted above. As a general observation, that would appear to be correct. In his sadly intoxicated state, he apparantly thought it was a good idea to walk to a riverboat that was not open to the public and fell into the water in the process.

What a tragic waste of a talented life. My sympathies to the entire Schantz family.

With each of these resolved cases, we have new scenarios to consider on future ones, which come along every day.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

Am just now reading the rest of this thread.

My deepest sympathy goes to the Schantz family, extended family, and friends. This is indeed a tragedy.
    **May God Watch Over All Missing and Abused Children**

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaLaw2000 For This Useful Post:

My prayers and condolences go out to the Schantz family. I understand the draw of the river. Rest in peace, Douglas.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

I too totally understand the draw of the river at night, the peacefulness, the mystery, the long significance of its history for NO, for some people just sitting and watching the water is therapy and rejuvenation. It just drew him in at the wrong time and in the wrong condition, and without another person there to watch over him. Hopefully, some answers will come as the medical examiner reviews the case.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raeann For This Useful Post:

Thankfully he wasn't a crime victim, and this just seems to be a tragic accident.

Rest in Peace, Douglas.
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

I feel so sorry for the Schantz family. Rest in peace, Doug and I hope your family can try and find some peace and healing.

All I keep thinking about is the advice that was always drilled into me:
    No matter how old you are or what gender you happen to be---"Buddy system buddy system buddy system" and ALWAYS keep an eye on any open drink you may have. I hope we find some answers on this one. Very tragic.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RainyGirl For This Useful Post:

Here is a video from WAFB in Baton Rouge. Tim Miller talks a little in it. Also, a guy from Dougs place of employment.

http://www.wafb.com/global/Category....autostart=true

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Very heartbreaking for his family. Although I am relieved it seems to be accidental. My son lives there and I have to hold my breath every time I hear of murders there. I know, mothers always over react, but I know he thinks he is invincible.

My deepest condolences to the Schantz family.
    Last edited by ohiogirl; 03-10-2010 at 12:04 PM.

I know this thread is done but I was traveling from shortly after lunch yesterday until just now. I'm so sorry for his family. At the beginning, I just never imagined this and still, knowing the streets, the area, the boat it seems so far from even being imaginable but it did happen.

Caution is wise when drinking....various factors can casue different reactions...some of us know that from our own experience. Now maybe others do as well. We can all do a better job of being our brother's keeper.

I fear because of his position he was too proud to turn around or to stop in somewhere (other places would have been open along the route) and ask for help. It led to such a tragic end, so maybe we can learn to ask for help when we need it. Strangers can be kind.

Maybe some would-be criminals learned that the video surveillance in the quarter is pretty darn good and we will all be safer.

I learned today a pretty good friend of mine is involved with Razzoo on the corporate level. I will talk to her about some of the post on here concerning the fear of drugged drinks there.

I'm sure the Natchez folks will take extra steps to further secure the landing.

And as a poster above said we need to learn from this as we move forward with trying to "figure things out." We need not fault ourselves for being wrong, every single one of the scenarios suggested has played out in the FQ and other cities all over the world.

May the bereaved family find peace.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justathought For This Useful Post:

Douglas Schantz obituary

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/hou...&pid=140631251

thought some of you that followed this story might like to see this (in case you haven't already)
    Of note: the family suggested TES as a memorial gift.
    (I like that)

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to heartfortruth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by heartfortruth View Post
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/hou...&pid=140631251

thought some of you that followed this story might like to see this (in case you haven't already)
    Of note: the family suggested TES as a memorial gift.
    (I like that)
    What a wonderful gesture on the family's part. I give them a lot of credit for doing that and can think of no other organization more deserving than TES.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

I saw on the news last night that they should have the blood test in the next two to three weeks to show how much he had to drink. I'm curious if something was put in his drink...

I'm anxious to see.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrimeHater For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrimeHater View Post
    I saw on the news last night that they should have the blood test in the next two to three weeks to show how much he had to drink. I'm curious if something was put in his drink...

I'm anxious to see.
    Thanks for the update, CrimeHater. I have checked for updates and had not seen any until yours. I am interested to know the outcome of the testing also.
    **May God Watch Over All Missing and Abused Children**

43. The Following User Says Thank You to LaLaw2000 For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456