Database can crack missing person cases — if used

butterfly1978

Reaction score
Not sure if this is where I should put this but thought it was definitely worth the read.

The clearinghouse, dubbed NamUs (Name Us), offers a quick way to check whether a missing loved one might be among the 40,000 sets of unidentified remains that languish at any given time with medical examiners across the country. NamUs is free, yet many law enforcement agencies still aren't aware of it, and others aren't convinced they should use their limited staff resources to participate.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_naming_the_dead
Why isn't Le using every resources available to solve these cases?:banghead:

I think this is an excellent article. I too wish more would use it. I will share I did receive an email from a local LE officer a few months back to let me know about this site. I thanked him and let him know I was aware of it and glad he was too. I'm in a smaller town and we don't have any opn missing persons cases in my city, but I was still glad to know my town is aware of this site. I honestly even voluntered my time FREE if they needed me to do any updating at namus if they needed it. I think others would too if LE would be open to it.... After all how much research do we do here.

jmo

That is great Cubby, I am just shocked that this has not been picked up... I honestly beleive that if LE would allow a few of crime bloggers to volunteer time alot of these cases would get solved. I know I myself would volunteer, I know how hard LE works and how limited they are and short-handed.

I agree butterfly. I don't know what the wall is with accepting volunteers to assist in implementing using a database such as NAMUS. I mean, implement some standard procedures for volunteers like any other organization who utilizes volunteers. Do the usual background checks. Sign whatever disclosures need to be signed regarding confidentiality. Perhaps require the volunteer to take a citizens police class if the city or town offers one and just start utilizing the database.

While it may be a little bit of cost and time consuming initially any volunteer can act like a liason so to speak between various LE departments either within a city or county depending on there size. It might even be great if the many missing persons NFP organizations were the liason between the various LE Coroners offices and volunteers. At least initially to assist LE with some form of organziation for volunteers if need be.

It just seems this should be easily put into place and I have NO doubts there would be no difficulty finding volunteers.

I agree butterfly. I don't know what the wall is with accepting volunteers to assist in implementing using a database such as NAMUS. I mean, implement some standard procedures for volunteers like any other organization who utilizes volunteers. Do the usual background checks. Sign whatever disclosures need to be signed regarding confidentiality. Perhaps require the volunteer to take a citizens police class if the city or town offers one and just start utilizing the database.

While it may be a little bit of cost and time consuming initially any volunteer can act like a liason so to speak between various LE departments either within a city or county depending on there size. It might even be great if the many missing persons NFP organizations were the liason between the various LE Coroners offices and volunteers. At least initially to assist LE with some form of organziation for volunteers if need be.

It just seems this should be easily put into place and I have NO doubts there would be no difficulty finding volunteers.

I totally agree with you. I don't know what it would entail to have this happen... I wonder if maybe Marc Klass or John Walsh would be intrested in getting something like that started. I know I would volunteer and probably most of WS members would as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back