Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by sarx View Post
    True, they did follow up, and they were not able to match any of the results.

There are lots of ways to explain it that don't actually involve them being on Amber's scent.
    I guess that was my initial question way back when--lol! How can it be explained?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSleuth View Post
    Here's another article:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-18953-San-...-August-photos

Also, the media was following the dogs when the search was going on and they showed part of it on the news at the time. Maybe you could locate that??
    Ok, so in this article the dog handler states
    "According to Platts, Escondido police never talked to her about their findings."

If the police didn't talk to Platts (the dog handler), then how did they take FBI used dogs into the same area to try and confirm the findings?

I don't know at this point who is telling the truth.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarx For This Useful Post:

"According to Platts, Escondido police never talked to her about their findings."

If the police didn't talk to Platts (the dog handler), then how did they take FBI used dogs into the same area to try and confirm the findings?

They could have read the report the private investigator prepared without talking to the dog's trainer. I think police were skeptical about these results. I think these results are pretty "out there," considering the dogs supposedly followed the trail six month after the fact. If police consulted any dog handlers then they probably were informed that it's a very long time after the fact.

"Michael Boyle, an Orange County Fire Authority battalion chief who worked with search dogs as part of a multi-agency search and rescue task force for almost 20 years, called it a "pretty brazen claim" that dogs could follow a 6-month-old outdoor trail."

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/es...73e775ad1.html
    I would guess this is a common opinion among dog handlers, unless these dogs are some "super-dogs."
    Last edited by jjenny; 03-11-2010 at 10:43 PM.

my statistical inference is to state a scientific opinion about the probability of this being a false trail -its statisticallly impossible for it not to be on scent of some kind -not sparring just realize if we look at this like we do in medicine the outcome based information is what we look at _they were very close in thousnds of square miles _hitting the right haystack among thousands is a good job> yes imagery would have been the next step _with dog teams on cadaver mode>

Quote Originally Posted by rescuemedic View Post
    my statistical inference is to state a scientific opinion about the probability of this being a false trail -its statisticallly impossible for it not to be on scent of some kind -not sparring just realize if we look at this like we do in medicine the outcome based information is what we look at _they were very close in thousnds of square miles _hitting the right haystack among thousands is a good job> yes imagery would have been the next step _with dog teams on cadaver mode>
    Yea well if the private investigator believed the pala reservation was a good area to dump a body, your "statistical inference" goes right out the window. Statistics are going to tell us nada about how these dogs supposedly followed a trail six months later because we don't know what transpired.
    Last edited by jjenny; 03-11-2010 at 10:41 PM.

The articles state that she gave them her findings in writing. Obviously she is stating that they never followed up with her on her written report. They had her written report to follow.

why? still impossible to repeat the results unless it was done _outcome based research would imply it had to have happened>remeber this has been repeated over and over >>>>>read the web site>

Quote Originally Posted by rescuemedic View Post
    why? still impossible to repeat the results unless it was done _outcome based research would imply it had to have happened>remeber this has been repeated over and over >>>>>read the web site>
    Just would like to add that I think it's a lame claim by the PI that the Pala Reservation would be a good place to dump a body. Anywhere outside the residential areas in North County is a good place to dump a body--it's just miles and miles of remote desert.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SoCalSleuth For This Useful Post:

Just would like to add that I think it's a lame claim by the PI that the Pala Reservation would be a good place to dump a body. Anywhere outside the residential areas in North County is a good place to dump a body--it's just miles and miles of remote desert.
    There was a body dumped near that area before -of Leticia Hernandez.
    Last edited by jjenny; 03-11-2010 at 10:54 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Here's another article:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-18953-San-...-August-photos

Also, the media was following the dogs when the search was going on and they showed part of it on the news at the time. Maybe you could locate that??
    I am always leary of an online source with editors that allow misspellings.
    "The team worked there way to a spot that turned out to be near where Amber's remains were found."

When I see a copy of the dated report, and the actual way they got the dogs to that spot, I'll be impressed. Otherwise, IMO, it's a bunch of talking heads using a story they read somewhere else and reporting it with their own twist (I have already seen that several times on this case, not necessarily about the dogs, though)

Thanks for the links.
    Just the facts, Ma'am.

The articles state that she gave them her findings in writing. Obviously she is stating that they never followed up with her on her written report. They had her written report to follow.
    So the article states. Still not convinced, you understand...last time I'll mention it.
    Just the facts, Ma'am.

And... how could a dog that had followed a freeway trail for 20 miles get to within a 1/2 mile of the body and not finish the job? That part should have been easy for the pooch.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarx For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwheel View Post
    I am always leary of an online source with editors that allow misspellings.
    "The team worked there way to a spot that turned out to be near where Amber's remains were found."

When I see a copy of the dated report, and the actual way they got the dogs to that spot, I'll be impressed. Otherwise, IMO, it's a bunch of talking heads using a story they read somewhere else and reporting it with their own twist (I have already seen that several times on this case, not necessarily about the dogs, though)

Thanks for the links.
    But the San Diego Union Tribune and the North County Times are not rags and they directly quote the handler. As does Channel 10 news. All 3 detail how they got to the spot. Still no one has answered the question--if there are alternate explanations then what are they, I am very curious about this--obviously!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SoCalSleuth For This Useful Post:

But the San Diego Union Tribune and the North County Times are not rags and they directly quote the handler. As does Channel 10 news. All 3 detail how they got to the spot. Still no one has answered the question--if there are alternate explanations then what are they, I am very curious about this--obviously!
    Just so you know, they can quote the handler without ever talking to him/her. If it's been printed somewhere else, they can use that as a source, unless they say "News10's Hunky Dory (or whatever name) spoke with Ick-Blah (or whatever name). Then, they HAVE to have talked to the person they said they spoke with. Otherwise, they can use whatever source they want (sometimes the same Google we use). Not to say they did, just that they can.
    Just the facts, Ma'am.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostwheel For This Useful Post:

LOL I can attest first hand to being quoted saying something that I NEVER said and before I knew it it was all over the place. So, I guess I'm a bit jaded on that aspect.

Without knowing the circumstances of the search, the scent article used, the collection methods, etc. it is all just speculation. SoCal, are you looking for speculation and "could haves"?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sarx For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast