NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelmajane

Reaction score
Entire story can be found here-
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7184836/

There are all kinds of sketchy things going on here.

1. Her previous lover (who's home she was at) was in FL

2. Wake County school system is all in a tizzy because they just made a motion to stop busing and keep kids in local schools (not sure if it is related)

Her sister found her. They're saying she may not live. Raleigh PD is very interested in it, they've been there for three days. They are not usually that thorough (No offense RPD).

Further search on the ex shows he is an attorney.

Title of this thread was originally "Found injured" now, after three days, she has died.

Most recent edit- The PD mistakenly released that she was dead. She is still on life support. Poor woman.

Entire story can be found here-
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7184836/

There are all kinds of sketchy things going on here.

1. Her previous lover (who's home she was at) was in FL

2. Wake County school system is all in a tizzy because they just made a motion to stop busing and keep kids in local schools (not sure if it is related)

Her sister found her. They're saying she may not live. Raleigh PD is very interested in it, they've been there for three days. They are not usually that thorough (No offense RPD).

Further search on the ex shows he is an attorney.

I keep looking for new info.....IA -- 3 days is a long time to be at a home...maybe because she didn't live there & they're trying to figure out what's evidence & what's not? Or there's lots of obvious evidence to process?

And I guess it could be the usual reporting where facts aren't verified, but this article says "found injured in the home of JG, a local tax and divorce attorney described as her romantic partner by a former colleague of both.".

Sounds like a low-crime area, too :

Geil's 1,427-square-foot home sits among other small homes valued at about $300,000 in an inside-the-Beltline neighborhood near Daniels Middle School.

"It's like the best neighborhood in Raleigh," said Deborah Bondurant, who lives down the street from Geil's home. "It's almost like being in the country."

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/08/376598/assault-could-have-been-random.html

Prayers for Ms. Taft & her family that she pulls through & has a full recovery.

Very low crime area.

Which is what makes me think that she was targeted.

I hope they find DNA evidence under her fingernails etc. if she got a chance to fight her attacker! What would be the reasoning behind her being targeted?

I keep thinking about what happened to Ann Pressly, the anchorwoman from Arkansas...they were thinking she may have been targeted for some reason.

Turns out it wasn't anyone she knew -- it was a rapist monster!!

Now they are saying (WRAL) that her sister may have been in the house when it happened.

Oh what a tangled web they have woven.

Can we get a mod to possibly change the title to murdered?

I'm very glad RPD spent extra time there, since it is now a murder investigation.

Edit:

Thank you for changing the title :)

<snip>

Police say she was attacked while recovering from surgery at a friend's Raleigh home over the weekend. Police have not said what happened to her - only that she was assaulted and apparently severely beaten.

The 62-year-old board member was found at a home Saturday morning in the 2700 block of Cartier Drive off of Oberlin Road near Cameron Village.

Taft was apparently in Raleigh for a medical procedure on Friday.
Neighbors say investigators have been combing the woods and underbrush around Glenwood Village Shopping Center, which backs up to Cartier Road.

"Whoever fled the scene of this crime, that would be a good place to go because it's out of sight, or much more out of sight than most places in this neighborhood," neighbor Julie Elkins said.

"They just wanted to know if we knew anything or heard anything, if we were around," resident George Ellis said. "They really just asked us where we were, if we saw anybody, anything unusual, walking the streets. So, I mean we don't even know what time it happened."

Police have not said what the motive for the attack was or if it was a random crime. However, Raleigh police stepped up patrols in the area.

more here

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7318142

Prayers for Kathy & her family. :rose:

Big mess guys, big mess.

WRAL and WTVD have retracted the statement that she died.

Now it has been reinstated-

According to an e-mail from the Taft family law firm in Greenville, N.C., the 62-year-old was surrounded by family and friends at WakeMed in Raleigh when she passed away.

"Her Episcopalian Priest and dear friend administered Last Rites to her at her bedside in the presence of her family," according to family's statement.

from - http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7320483

Now, ABC has retracted. WRAL never reinstated. She is still on life support. http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7320483

Ok, whether the poor woman is dead or not.

I want to know what procedure she had done Friday?

I also want to know who her sister is?

And, can you hear someone being beaten in a 1,500 sq foot house?

Ok, whether the poor woman is dead or not.

I want to know what procedure she had done Friday?

I also want to know who her sister is?

And, can you hear someone being beaten in a 1,500 sq foot house?

Very Good Questions.... and you are exactly right, how could you not hear someone being beaten...

BTW they are retracting the story that she died again..

OMG?? What is going on???

No kidding -- why would the family send out emails with completely false statements?

(from zelmajane's link)

RALEIGH (WTVD) -- State Board of Education member, Kathy Taft, remains on life-support Tuesday following erroneous reports that she had died.

ABC11 Eyewitness News received e-mails from the Taft family and the Raleigh Police Department Tuesday stating that Taft had been removed from life-support.

Within ten minutes of a police statement confirming Taft's death, police retracted that statement.

According to an e-mail from the Taft family law firm in Greenville, N.C.,which was also sent to media Tuesday morning, the 62-year-old was surrounded by family and friends at WakeMed in Raleigh when she passed away.

"Her Episcopalian Priest and dear friend administered Last Rites to her at her bedside in the presence of her family," according to family's statement.

Those statement turned out to be untrue.

I've never seen anything like this....it's one thing for reporters to 'misreport' but another thing for the family to say she'd passed away when she didn't.

I wonder if it was hackers who got into someone's email & did this?? People can be so cruel.

If she is related to the Taft's of Taft law firm... That puts an entirely new edge on this story.

They're not NC's most prized attorneys.

On the story at the link above it has been updated a bit. It did say the sister went to the home and found her after she missed a planned breakfast.

In the comment section, which I like to read cause sometimes people will post something that the media hasn't gotten word of yet and you can find out more info (sometimes) about the story, person, victim etc.

One poster wrote the home owner had been out of town for a while and maybe it was meant to be a burgarly and she was not the intended target.
Another poster wrote on 3/8 @ 602pm that the assault was rape and she was beaten very badly and not expected to make it.

These are comments found under the news link above, do not know if any is true.

Here's a recent update:

Updated 1:38 PM

Hospital officials confirm education official's death
By: News 14 Carolina Staff

RALEIGH – Officials with Wake Med hospital have confirmed the death of 62-year-old State Board of Education member Kathy Taft, who died from injuries she sustained during a brutal beating on Saturday.

There was some confusion over conflicting reports of Taft's death early in the day, but family members and officials from Wake Med have now said definitively that Taft was taken off life support and died Tuesday.

http://news14.com/triangle-news-30-...racts-statement-confirming-kathy-taft-s-death

:rose: Prayers for her family -- Kathy sounds like a dynamic, wonderful woman.

Trying to make sense of this. Is there any possibility the reason the police recanted their statement of the death was because they wanted "someone" to think she was still alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail