GUILTY OR - Neil Beagley, 16, dies as parents rely on faith healing, Oregon City, June 2008

Missizzy

Reaction score
http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2010/03/jeffrey_and_marci_beagley_sent.html

Jeffrey and Marci Beagley sentenced to 16 months of prison for their son's faith-healing death

"Clackamas County [OR] Circuit Court Judge Steven Maurer sentenced Jeffrey and Marci Beagley to 16 months in prison this afternoon, calling the couple’s decision to not seek medical care for their 16-year-old son, Neil Beagley, a “crime that was a product of an unwillingness to respect the boundaries of freedom of religious expression.”

Marci Beagley sobbed as the sentencing was read, and shortly after, defense attorney Wayne Mackeson objected to the prison time. The sentence also includes three years of post-prison supervision.

Jeffrey and Marci Beagley were found guilty of criminally negligent homicide after a two-week trial that focused on the death of 16-year-old Neil Beagley, who died in June 2008 of complications involved with a urinary tract obstruction...."

more at link

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2010/03/jeffrey_and_marci_beagley_sent.html

Jeffrey and Marci Beagley sentenced to 16 months of prison for their son's faith-healing death

"Clackamas County [OR] Circuit Court Judge Steven Maurer sentenced Jeffrey and Marci Beagley to 16 months in prison this afternoon, calling the couple’s decision to not seek medical care for their 16-year-old son, Neil Beagley, a “crime that was a product of an unwillingness to respect the boundaries of freedom of religious expression.”

Marci Beagley sobbed as the sentencing was read, and shortly after, defense attorney Wayne Mackeson objected to the prison time. The sentence also includes three years of post-prison supervision.

Jeffrey and Marci Beagley were found guilty of criminally negligent homicide after a two-week trial that focused on the death of 16-year-old Neil Beagley, who died in June 2008 of complications involved with a urinary tract obstruction...."

more at link

I always have issue with these sort of parents........I dont object to them dying of their own religious beliefs but it disturbs me when they presume to make the choice for children. If a person is 18 or older and they want to refuse medical treatment, it's borderline as to whether or not the person is mature enough to decide ... but 16 is just not there yet and the parents are fully responsible...

and yet, they object to jail time .......pffffffffffft....
I would imagine the son would object to dying too...if he could ....

Isn't it an irony that in this same state, Oregon, a child can have a legal abortion at age 15 without parental consent but not receive antibiotics against his parents' wishes? One does wonder what the teen would have chosen had he known the possible outcome of the failure to take the medication.

I'm also very afraid that sentences such as this are just going to drive this group further "underground". We have a whole class of citizens (children) whose rights are being violated. They are being starved, locked up, beaten, and not properly medicated while willing participants stand by and do nothing but pray.

This poor young man. I am sure he suffered unfortunately. I honestly feel these parents got off VERY VERY easy.

more at link

I do see this as child abuse but I, slightly, understand where it should be a parents right under religious reasons.

I'm assuming that everyone has read the connection to the other faith healing death in Oregon. Neal was the uncle of little Ava Worthington. I just cannot imagine sitting by and watching a child die a painful death all for the lack of a $10 bottle of antibiotic. I can't. I guess I'd be asking myself what would Jesus do for his ailing child or nephew.

"The courtroom was packed with Beagley supporters, including their daughter Raylene Worthington and her husband Carl Brent Worthington. Both were tried in July 2009 for second-degree manslaughter and criminal mistreatment in the death of their daughter, Ava Worthington. Carl Brent Worthington was found guilty of criminal mistreatment, while the two were acquitted of all other charges."

great it runs in the family.

but why not, when the law doesnt seem to care

so the way to stop it is to give the killers a slap on the wrist.

i wish these judges would act as loud as there big mouths speak.

I'm assuming that everyone has read the connection to the other faith healing death in Oregon. Neal was the uncle of little Ava Worthington. I just cannot imagine sitting by and watching a child die a painful death all for the lack of a $10 bottle of antibiotic. I can't. I guess I'd be asking myself what would Jesus do for his ailing child or nephew.

"The courtroom was packed with Beagley supporters, including their daughter Raylene Worthington and her husband Carl Brent Worthington. Both were tried in July 2009 for second-degree manslaughter and criminal mistreatment in the death of their daughter, Ava Worthington. Carl Brent Worthington was found guilty of criminal mistreatment, while the two were acquitted of all other charges."

The family already had a child die because of neglect and none of them learned anything?

How many other minor children have they got? Are child protection services doing anything to ensure the safety of the rest of them?

Ava Worthington, Neal Beagley's 16 month old niece died in March 2008 of pneumonia and sepsis. Ava's mother, Raylene, was Neal's older sister. The trial concerning Ava's "faith-healing death" occurred in July 2009. Raylene was acquitted and the father, Carl, was convicted of criminal mistreatment. Here's some articles from the Oregonian. You'll note that many have other links.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2009/07/calling.html

"Jesus Christ almighty can cure anything," Worthington said.

"Doctors are irrelevant?" Horner asked.

"Correct," Worthington said.

Even if it's a life-threatening situation, Horner asked.

Calling a doctor shows "a lack of faith," Worthington said."

and

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2008/03/clackamas_child_died_for_lack.html

"A 16-month-old child who died at home this month in Clackamas County could easily have been saved by basic medical treatment, according to the state medical examiner's office.

Dr. Christopher Young, a deputy state medical examiner, said today that Ava Worthington died from bacterial bronchial pneumonia and sepsis, both easily treatable with antibiotics.

Young said the infant's breathing was further compromised by a benign cystic mass in her neck, a mass that had never been medically addressed and could have been removed...."

and

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2009/07/worthingtons_acquitted_on_all.html

"A Clackamas County jury finds Carl Worthington guilty of criminal mistreatment, a misdemeanor. Jurors acquit Carl Worthington of manslaughter and Raylene Worthington of both mistreatment and manslaughter."

and

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2009/07/followers_of_christ_church_has.html

"The Followers of Christ have a long history of children dying from untreated medical conditions.

Of 78 children buried in the church cemetery from 1955 to 1998, at least 21 could have been saved by medical intervention, according to a 1998 analysis by The Oregonian....."

more at all links.

Just to be clear. Ava Worthington died of pneumonia and lack of antibiotics in March 2008. Three months later, her Uncle Neal Beagley, died at the age of 16 from a bladder obstruction brought on by a simple infection which also could have been cured by antibiotic. So this extended family lost two children within a three month period. One would think that the tragic death of Ava would have shaken someone enough to get help for Neal. Some interesting commentary:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oreg...f/2009/08/worthington_trial_faith_healin.html

Worthington trial: Faith healing and double standards

"Carl Worthington of Oregon City got a 60-day jail sentence Friday for letting his daughter suffer and die in the name of religion. His wife Raylene got a free pass for the same crime, the legal equivalent of a sympathetic squeeze on the shoulder...."

more at link

I've wondered how Michael Pearl's "faith-based" discipline fares here. I haven't heard of a pending case but I plan to inquire.

jesus can heal anything huh.
i'd say the evidence in that family says otherwise.

like i heard the saying once 'god created doctors too, didnt he?'

God what a sad story. But you know, giving them a prison sentence is about all we CAN do, it's a thin sort of justice. It's NOT going to be a deterrent, except for the "weaker" believers. They are all to ready and willing to be reviled by a fallen world. Punishment satisfies US and only us, it's a message to the people from the judicial system that they are listening and doing "something" about the death of a child.

In many ways, I actually think a prison sentence will reinforce their martyrdom stance. I think education and community service might have been better. Maybe they could have worked at a trauma center...somewhere they could see the benefits of health care. I strongly believe in prayer, but in combination with mainstream and alternative health care. I understand, though, that the judge is trying to send a message. Oregon has been dealing with this group/cult for at least as long as I've lived here (early 90s).

Just as I believe that it's every parents' right to discipline their children as they choose, there are lines that cannot be crossed. Whipping children to death with plumbing line crosses the line for me, just as letting a child die a horrible death due to infection. Are these church members exempt from using car seats? The state doesn't allow us free will on that issue.

kbl--I didn't know what to make of your comment about God sending us doctors. I do believe that God gifts some of us with great medical minds but I'm certain that a few doctors we know well, were sent forth from somewhere other than heaven. JMO

Some more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Followers_of_Christ

"The Followers of Christ is an unorthodox fundamentalist Christian denomination based in the U.S. state of Oregon. The church has attracted controversy for its practices of faith healing and of shunning members who violate church doctrine, including those who seek medical care.

According to authorities in Oregon and other places where church members are found, numerous children have suffered premature deaths from treatable causes due to their parents' refusal to seek medical care; a former Oregon state medical examiner claims the infant mortality rate within the Followers of Christ community is 26 times greater that of the general population...."

I've looked but I can find no info on their accepted methods of child discipline.

more at link

jesus can heal anything huh.
i'd say the evidence in that family says otherwise.

like i heard the saying once 'god created doctors too, didnt he?'

Here's my take on this - Jesus can heal anything. The Good Lord gave us all brains and told us to use them. Jesus helps all those Docs go to medical school, get through it (its tough) so that they can help Jesus in the healing process.

If we are all supposed to sit hit on Earth, doing nothing but praying, why would the Lord have given us brain? Why? Makes no sense!

We pray and if our prayer is answered, we receive a sign of some sort that leads us in a direction to help ourselves. That's what happens. God and/or Jesus do not reach down from the sky and hand us what we are asking for... they put something in our path for us to either use or not use, the choice is ours.

The Worthingtons and Beagleys will be held accountable by the Lord for failing, not ONCE but TWICE the precious gifts they were given and entrusted to care for.

Sorry for the rant... I'm done now!

Salem

i mean if they always practice what they preach (no pun intended) then all of them would be dead....cause if you wont take something as simple as antibiotics, what happens when need real surgery or something? i guess whats good enough for you isnt good enoug for your kids

This case has been on TruTv InSession for at least 2 weeks. I am watching this witch of a mother talk about her son ill, vomiting, stomach pains, and she actually doesn't think it is her responsibility to care for her son. I hope this is the last few days of this. Because I cannot handle watching these pigs for parents!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back