1214 users online (193 members and 1021 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

OR - Neil Beagley, 16, dies as parents rely on faith healing, Oregon City, June 2008

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc...gley_sent.html

Jeffrey and Marci Beagley sentenced to 16 months of prison for their son's faith-healing death

"Clackamas County [OR] Circuit Court Judge Steven Maurer sentenced Jeffrey and Marci Beagley to 16 months in prison this afternoon, calling the couple’s decision to not seek medical care for their 16-year-old son, Neil Beagley, a “crime that was a product of an unwillingness to respect the boundaries of freedom of religious expression.

Marci Beagley sobbed as the sentencing was read, and shortly after, defense attorney Wayne Mackeson objected to the prison time. The sentence also includes three years of post-prison supervision.

Jeffrey and Marci Beagley were found guilty of criminally negligent homicide after a two-week trial that focused on the death of 16-year-old Neil Beagley, who died in June 2008 of complications involved with a urinary tract obstruction...."

more at link

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post

Jeffrey and Marci Beagley sentenced to 16 months of prison for their son's faith-healing death

"Clackamas County [OR] Circuit Court Judge Steven Maurer sentenced Jeffrey and Marci Beagley to 16 months in prison this afternoon, calling the couple’s decision to not seek medical care for their 16-year-old son, Neil Beagley, a “crime that was a product of an unwillingness to respect the boundaries of freedom of religious expression.

Marci Beagley sobbed as the sentencing was read, and shortly after, defense attorney Wayne Mackeson objected to the prison time. The sentence also includes three years of post-prison supervision.

Jeffrey and Marci Beagley were found guilty of criminally negligent homicide after a two-week trial that focused on the death of 16-year-old Neil Beagley, who died in June 2008 of complications involved with a urinary tract obstruction...."

more at link
    I always have issue with these sort of parents........I dont object to them dying of their own religious beliefs but it disturbs me when they presume to make the choice for children. If a person is 18 or older and they want to refuse medical treatment, it's borderline as to whether or not the person is mature enough to decide ... but 16 is just not there yet and the parents are fully responsible...

and yet, they object to jail time .......pffffffffffft....
    I would imagine the son would object to dying too...if he could ....
    The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them.
    Lois McMaster Bujold

Isn't it an irony that in this same state, Oregon, a child can have a legal abortion at age 15 without parental consent but not receive antibiotics against his parents' wishes? One does wonder what the teen would have chosen had he known the possible outcome of the failure to take the medication.

I'm also very afraid that sentences such as this are just going to drive this group further "underground". We have a whole class of citizens (children) whose rights are being violated. They are being starved, locked up, beaten, and not properly medicated while willing participants stand by and do nothing but pray.

This poor young man. I am sure he suffered unfortunately. I honestly feel these parents got off VERY VERY easy.

more at link
    I do see this as child abuse but I, slightly, understand where it should be a parents right under religious reasons.

I'm assuming that everyone has read the connection to the other faith healing death in Oregon. Neal was the uncle of little Ava Worthington. I just cannot imagine sitting by and watching a child die a painful death all for the lack of a $10 bottle of antibiotic. I can't. I guess I'd be asking myself what would Jesus do for his ailing child or nephew.

"The courtroom was packed with Beagley supporters, including their daughter Raylene Worthington and her husband Carl Brent Worthington. Both were tried in July 2009 for second-degree manslaughter and criminal mistreatment in the death of their daughter, Ava Worthington. Carl Brent Worthington was found guilty of criminal mistreatment, while the two were acquitted of all other charges."

great it runs in the family.

but why not, when the law doesnt seem to care

I think this statement by the judge speaks volumes:

"Too many children have died unnecessarily," Judge Steven Maurer said during Monday's sentencing for the Beagleys. "There is a graveyard full of their bodies and it has to stop, it just has to stop."

http://oregoncity.katu.com/content/b...onth-sentences
    Last edited by Texas Mist; 03-09-2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: fixed linky
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

so the way to stop it is to give the killers a slap on the wrist.

i wish these judges would act as loud as there big mouths speak.

I'm assuming that everyone has read the connection to the other faith healing death in Oregon. Neal was the uncle of little Ava Worthington. I just cannot imagine sitting by and watching a child die a painful death all for the lack of a $10 bottle of antibiotic. I can't. I guess I'd be asking myself what would Jesus do for his ailing child or nephew.

"The courtroom was packed with Beagley supporters, including their daughter Raylene Worthington and her husband Carl Brent Worthington. Both were tried in July 2009 for second-degree manslaughter and criminal mistreatment in the death of their daughter, Ava Worthington. Carl Brent Worthington was found guilty of criminal mistreatment, while the two were acquitted of all other charges."
    The family already had a child die because of neglect and none of them learned anything?

How many other minor children have they got? Are child protection services doing anything to ensure the safety of the rest of them?

Ava Worthington, Neal Beagley's 16 month old niece died in March 2008 of pneumonia and sepsis. Ava's mother, Raylene, was Neal's older sister. The trial concerning Ava's "faith-healing death" occurred in July 2009. Raylene was acquitted and the father, Carl, was convicted of criminal mistreatment. Here's some articles from the Oregonian. You'll note that many have other links.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc...7/calling.html

"Jesus Christ almighty can cure anything," Worthington said.

"Doctors are irrelevant?" Horner asked.

"Correct," Worthington said.

Even if it's a life-threatening situation, Horner asked.

Calling a doctor shows "a lack of faith," Worthington said."

and

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc..._for_lack.html

"A 16-month-old child who died at home this month in Clackamas County could easily have been saved by basic medical treatment, according to the state medical examiner's office.

Dr. Christopher Young, a deputy state medical examiner, said today that Ava Worthington died from bacterial bronchial pneumonia and sepsis, both easily treatable with antibiotics.

Young said the infant's breathing was further compromised by a benign cystic mass in her neck, a mass that had never been medically addressed and could have been removed...."

and

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc...ed_on_all.html

"A Clackamas County jury finds Carl Worthington guilty of criminal mistreatment, a misdemeanor. Jurors acquit Carl Worthington of manslaughter and Raylene Worthington of both mistreatment and manslaughter."

and

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc...hurch_has.html

"The Followers of Christ have a long history of children dying from untreated medical conditions.

Of 78 children buried in the church cemetery from 1955 to 1998, at least 21 could have been saved by medical intervention, according to a 1998 analysis by The Oregonian....."

more at all links.

Just to be clear. Ava Worthington died of pneumonia and lack of antibiotics in March 2008. Three months later, her Uncle Neal Beagley, died at the age of 16 from a bladder obstruction brought on by a simple infection which also could have been cured by antibiotic. So this extended family lost two children within a three month period. One would think that the tragic death of Ava would have shaken someone enough to get help for Neal. Some interesting commentary:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...th_healin.html

Worthington trial: Faith healing and double standards

"Carl Worthington of Oregon City got a 60-day jail sentence Friday for letting his daughter suffer and die in the name of religion. His wife Raylene got a free pass for the same crime, the legal equivalent of a sympathetic squeeze on the shoulder...."

more at link

I've wondered how Michael Pearl's "faith-based" discipline fares here. I haven't heard of a pending case but I plan to inquire.

This article mentions that Neal has a younger sister, "K". I wonder if she'll be placed with family members during her parents' imprisonment? This article also paints a picture of Neal, who just prior to his own death, was grieving the death of his baby niece:

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc...ley_emerg.html

jesus can heal anything huh.
    i'd say the evidence in that family says otherwise.

like i heard the saying once 'god created doctors too, didnt he?'

God what a sad story. But you know, giving them a prison sentence is about all we CAN do, it's a thin sort of justice. It's NOT going to be a deterrent, except for the "weaker" believers. They are all to ready and willing to be reviled by a fallen world. Punishment satisfies US and only us, it's a message to the people from the judicial system that they are listening and doing "something" about the death of a child.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast