Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: AL - Major Bashinsky, 63, Mountain Brook, 3 March 2010

Question AL - Major Bashinsky, 63, Mountain Brook, 3 March 2010

I've followed this story for a couple of days -- very odd things going on now!! He goes missing last Wednesday (03-Mar), his daughter drives around & finds his car Sunday night (07-Mar), and today it's announced there's a mysterious letter found in his car by his wife once the car was located on Sunday.

Major Bashinky is a "prominent" tax attorney & son of the founder of Golden Flake.

Mtn. Brook Attorney Missing, Vanishes Without A Trace
    03/06/10 10:31 pm

Mountain Brook, AL - A Mountain Brook woman is doing everything she can to track down her husband, a prominent tax attorney, who has vanished without a trace. Major Bashinsky, son of the founder of Golden Flake, has been missing since Wednesday.

"We did our normal routine. He kissed me goodbye and the kids and said 'have a great day' and he left," says Leslie Bashinsky, Major's wife.

Wednesday morning was the last time Leslie saw or heard from her husband. She says the last time anyone saw 63 year-old Major was around 2p.m. that day at his office, which is located at the Luckie Building on Highway 280. But red flags weren't raised until Major was late for dinner.

"I thought that's very odd for him. In the 15 years we've been married he's never been late," says Leslie.

Since that day Leslie says, " There hasn't been any money withdrawn from our account. No activity on the credit cards. I can tell whether he's checked his voicemail messages and he has not."

"He's very methodical, a thinker and planner. Very smart man. Very well organized. Just disappearing like that is absolutely contrary to everything we know about him," says Steve Hewett, relative

more here

http://www.abc3340.com/news/stories/0310/713415.html
    ========================================

Missing Attorney's Car Found
    03/08/10 11:36 pm

Birmingham, AL - New information in the case of a missing Mountain Brook attorney. Major Bashinsky's car was found Sunday night parked on 11th Court South in Birmingham. His 2010 gray Toyota Camry was discovered by his older daughter as she was driving around town posting her dad's 'missing' flyers. Family members say the car was parked on the side of the street and they say it was locked. It's been towed by police and will be processed.

Relatives say this discovery may be one piece to the puzzle but the uncertainty continues.
    He was last seen at his Mountain Brook office building on Hwy 280, which is about 4 miles from where his car was found.

more here

http://www.abc3340.com/news/stories/0310/713651.html

==============================

FBI investigators assisting Mountain Brook Police in missing attorney case

The FBI crime scene unit truck was seen parked outside the MBPD today.
    They are wanting to know what happened to Major Bashinsky, who was last seen Wednesday, March 3, 2010.

Bashinsky’s vehicle, a 2010 Toyota Camry, was found on Birmingham’s southside Sunday.

According to NBC13HD News Digital Journalist Jon Paepcke, Mountain Brook’s Police Chief believes the car was parked Friday night, since no parking tickets were on the car.

Mountain Brook detectives and FBi technicians are waiting for a search warrant to look inside Bashinsky’s car for evidence.

more here

http://www2.nbc13.com/vtm/news/local...y_case/136580/

===========================

Could The Discovery Of A Letter Help Find Major Bashinsky
    03/08/10 6:40 pm

Mountain Brook,AL. - The discovery of a letter in the car belonging to Major Bashinsky, the son of Golden Flake's found may be a key to finding the missing man. It was his wife Leslie who first saw the letter when his car was found Sunday. "It was in the car, it was taped to the drivers side in the back seat the letter and it was taped and it was also taped to a bag of potato chips with duct tape, Golden Flake potato chips."

What makes the discovery even more chilling for Leslie Bashinsky is she got this very same letter in her mailbox. She believes it was delivered the day her husband disappeared. Mrs. Bashinsky says, "I didn't check my mail Wednesday but I checked my mail Thursday it was in there."

Major Bashinsky vanished Wednesday afternoon. It was also the same day letter's were received by other family members as well as the CEO of Golden Flake. It mentions the Bashinsky's specifically. One line says, "if dividends are not stopped it will force us to act with urgency."

more here

http://www.abc3340.com/news/stories/0310/713982.html

ETA: FB Help us locate Major Bashinsky

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-u...y/359218935888
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 03-16-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added FB link
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Thanks for this Texas Mist. This is sounding like it could be a ramsom case. What are your thoughts on daughter finding car, wife finding letter.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
    Thanks for this Texas Mist. This is sounding like it could be a ramsom case. What are your thoughts on daughter finding car, wife finding letter.
    Honestly -- the first thing that popped into my head was Chris Coleman and his letters.

However, he was planning his crimes for months - so at this point with what's reported, this case is probably different.

But, that is the first thing that came to mind.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Wow. Very odd case. I hope that Major is safe somewhere.
    FOR THE MISSING: PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Highlighting missing persons in the Pacific Northwest - www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest / www.twitter.com/MissingNW
    STILL DOING IT FOR DYLAN GROENE. REST IN PEACE.

HELP FIND MISSING 7-YEAR-OLD PATRICK ALFORD.

FOOTY/SOCCER FAN? Join us here.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post
    Honestly -- the first thing that popped into my head was Chris Coleman and his letters.

However, he was planning his crimes for months - so at this point with what's reported, this case is probably different.

But, that is the first thing that came to mind.
    I very well could be wrong , however, I didn't get a good vibe. Something just doesn't seem right.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Been thinking some more on this.....maybe he has an unhappy client...someone who thinks his/her investments should be paying more....maybe upset because it's the client's belief that s/he got bad advice....We've all seen how people get a little psycho & blame others for their own mistakes or just somehow *wrongly* get the idea they ripped off....then they start to dwell on it to the point of obsession.

Revenge?

Here's Bashinsky's website

http://www.bashinsky.com/

ETA -- not that it's related but here's the Golden Flake website

http://www.goldenflake.com/history.html

ETA2 -- more info on where the car was found

A car belonging to the missing son of the former head of Golden Enterprises was found tonight near Five Points South in Birmingham.

Thomas Major Bashinsky, a 63-year-old lawyer, has been missing since Wednesday. His daughter found the car in the 2100 block of 11th Court South while she was distributing fliers in search of information about the case, Lt. Jim Cole of the Mountain Brook Police Department said.

Police cordoned off the street behind Temple Emanuel-El to examine the gray 2010 Toyota Camry and have it towed away.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/03/...ing_ex-go.html
    Last edited by Texas Mist; 03-09-2010 at 12:24 AM.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Thanks to those who started this thread and posted on it. I live in Birmingham, AL not far from Mountain Brook, and not far from where this man's office is located. Maybe I have not kept up with local news lately as I have many strange family issues which are taking my time and attention, but I have not seen or heard anything about this on a local basis. I will have to check the local papers for the last several days to see if anything more was said. This sounds strange, and like a revenge of some sort.

"If dividends are not stopped..." makes me wonder who is receiving the dividends referred to in that letter?? And why does the letter writer want the dividends stopped? I hope LE and the FBI know more than is said in the articles? The FBI being called in so quickly makes me wonder if this is a blackmail or extortion, or kidnap for ransom. If I find any local articles that say more I will link them here.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kateyes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kateyes View Post
    Thanks to those who started this thread and posted on it. I live in Birmingham, AL not far from Mountain Brook, and not far from where this man's office is located. Maybe I have not kept up with local news lately as I have many strange family issues which are taking my time and attention, but I have not seen or heard anything about this on a local basis. I will have to check the local papers for the last several days to see if anything more was said. This sounds strange, and like a revenge of some sort.

"If dividends are not stopped..." makes me wonder who is receiving the dividends referred to in that letter?? And why does the letter writer want the dividends stopped? I hope LE and the FBI know more than is said in the articles? The FBI being called in so quickly makes me wonder if this is a blackmail or extortion, or kidnap for ransom. If I find any local articles that say more I will link them here.
    What's LE like in Mountain Brook, KatEyes?

I ask because I thought it was odd that his daughter found his car (days after he disappeared) - and LE didn't find it.

I just watched the video here -- http://www.cbs42.com/mostpopular/sto...TzvWiwk1w.cspx

and if I'm hearing it right, Major's car was found in the vicinity of his office.

So why wouldn't LE have found the car -- and found it sooner than Sunday?? Any ideas?
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

I don't believe for one second this was a kidnapping and ransom case.

This guy planned an exit strategy and decided it was his time to go.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

The kidnapping thing seems staged to me. I mean seriously, letter, bag of chips and ducktape??? It does remind me of Chris Coleman as well.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

What's LE like in Mountain Brook, KatEyes?

I ask because I thought it was odd that his daughter found his car (days after he disappeared) - and LE didn't find it.

I just watched the video here -- http://www.cbs42.com/mostpopular/sto...TzvWiwk1w.cspx

and if I'm hearing it right, Major's car was found in the vicinity of his office.

So why wouldn't LE have found the car -- and found it sooner than Sunday?? Any ideas?
    Major's car was found in Birmingham proper, not Mountain Brook. The car was found about 4 miles from his office. This explains why the Mountain Brook Police did not find it.

LE in Mountain Brook is competent, but murders are exceedingly rare here and I don't know how much experience they have in solving a case such as this. I am glad they have called in the FBI.

Regarding the stock dividends, the letter writer was angry that the family receives over $600,000 per year in Golden Flake stock dividends as opposed to the workers, according to an article in this morning's Birmingham News. I tried to find the article at al.com but was unable to find it.

Mountain Brook was the home of Natalie Holloway.

Leslie Bashinsky, wife of Major, teaches tennis and taught my girls. Major has a brother in Key West, Sloan, who has run for mayor there. If you Google him, he sounds like a bit of a nutcase. He has "dreams" that he writes quite a bit about.

I live here and if anyone has questions I will be glad to answer them the best I can.

This is a very strange case...yesterday I was thinking "gay bar" because the car was found within one mile of a 24-hour gay bar (The Quest) and one of the last murders here in Mountain Brook about a decade ago involved an administrator at Birmingham Southern college, a widower with grown children, who apparently lived a double life and picked up young men during his downtime. He picked up the wrong man and was murdered in his home. But in light of the letters, I am having to reevalute my theory. My sleuthing needs some honing and fine-tuning, as I told my husband this morning. The Mountain Brook Police Chief believes the car was parked Friday night due to no parking tickets, but I don't think you can make that assumption. Maybe the parking ticket officer did not happen by on Wednesday-Friday.

The letters seem bogus to me.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to southerngirl For This Useful Post:

Researching the mention of "dividends" & Golden Flake, I found this at docstoc (have no idea about the validity - so FWIW)

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/15403705/Executive-Summary

Be sure to read pages 10, 15 & 17....pages 15 & 17 specifically mentions dividend payout & reducing dividend payout to reinvest in R&D.

ETA: if ya watch the video here -- http://www.abc3340.com/news/stories/...?ref=newsstory -- you can see more bits & pieces of the letter...I'm still trying to catch as much as I can, but I saw "stop sucking" & "terrible business decisions".

Also, the wife looks much younger than 63....she's very attractive (and doesn't seem very emotional either, IMO)...in fact, I've seen people more upset about a hangnail than she seems....what do y'all think?
    Last edited by Texas Mist; 03-09-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Researching the mention of "dividends" & Golden Flake, I found this at docstoc (have no idea about the validity - so FWIW)

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/15403705/Executive-Summary

Be sure to read pages 10, 15 & 17....pages 15 & 17 specifically mentions dividend payout & reducing dividend payout to reinvest in R&D.

ETA: if ya watch the video here -- http://www.abc3340.com/news/stories/...?ref=newsstory -- you can see more bits & pieces of the letter...I'm still trying to catch as much as I can, but I saw "stop sucking" & "terrible business decisions".

Also, the wife looks much younger than 63....she's very attractive (and doesn't seem very emotional either, IMO)...in fact, I've seen people more upset about a hangnail than she seems....what do y'all think?
    Yes, Leslie is his trophy wife. They have two young children, 6 and 8. Major also has two grown children from a former marriage. His daughter Sloan is the one who found his car on southside.

Leslie's brother has been acting as spokesperson and during a TV interview he said his sister is trying to hold it together for her children and she has not been getting much sleep. But I agree with you, she seems rather emotionless at this point.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to southerngirl For This Useful Post:

It just sounds absurd so far and I almost get the feeling the family feels that way too. When talking about it they seem to have a WTF? sense about them and don't know what to make of this.

However, if this is the real deal, then this family is at the mercy of a diabolical nut who has done something with their loved one.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

More details on the letter

Critical letter comes as Major Bashinsky disappears
    By Russell Hubbard -- The Birmingham News
    March 09, 2010, 10:17AM

Golden Enterprises, the Birmingham-based potato chip maker that grew rapidly under Bashinsky's father, received the anonymous letter on Thursday, Chief Executive Mark McCutcheon said.

The letter, McCutcheon said, was critical of the Bashinsky family for collecting millions of dollars in dividends on Golden Enterprises stock at the expense of workers who manufacture Golden Flake snacks, equating the family to "vampires."
    Chief Johnny Stanley of Mountain Brook said his department is investigating the information in the letter, a copy of which was found in the car this weekend. Bashinski's is being processed, with assistance from the FBI because of their equipment, he said.

Mountain Brook police are investigating the matter, Lt. Jim Cole said, because Bashinsky is a resident of that city.

"We are looking at the letter," he said. "It is a disturbing situation and we want to locate Mr. Bashinsky."

Bashinsky isn't involved in the operation of Golden Enterprises, which had sales of $122 million in its latest fiscal year. His family remains the largest shareholder, through the SYB Inc. investment company controlled by his stepmother, Joann Bashinsky.

Dividends on Golden Enterprises stock are lucrative for SYB. The company owns 44.5 percent of Golden Enterprises stock, or 5.2 million shares. The dividend has been 3 cents a share, paid four times a year, for the past several years. That amounts to dividend income for SYB of $624,000 a year.

The dividend policy criticized in the anonymous letter -- which was typewritten on plain white paper -- also benefits employees. The company retirement plan is the third-largest holder of Golden Enterprises stock, with 570,000 shares. Retiree incomes are mostly provided by 401(k) plans, CEO McCutcheon said.

McCutcheon said he can't fathom why a current employee would be disgruntled with the company. He said the firm has been hiring new workers, has had some its strongest quarterly sales in history in recent months, and is spending money on new equipment at the plant in the Titusville neighborhood.

more here

http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2010..._as_major.html

The letter is just bizarre....almost too bizarre as tho someone was trying too hard.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

This reminds me of the small foreign faction letter.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

OT-Court appearance live feed in Chelsea King case in about 15 minutes.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97485"]Court Appearance-3-9-10 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

I don't think the Enron criminals were ever threatened with physical harm. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

No one is going to go after such an inconsequential person as this Bashinsky on any corporate anger theory.

He may have set up an alterego some time back, transferred personal and/or corporate assets and flew to Israel under his new name.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    I don't think the Enron criminals were ever threatened with physical harm. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

No one is going to go after such an inconsequential person as this Bashinsky on any corporate anger theory.

He may have set up an alterego some time back, transferred personal and/or corporate assets and flew to Israel under his new name.
    Plus, the dividends system BENEFITS the workers so they wouldn't be disgruntled by it.

Someone who either doesn't understand the dividend system or couldn't come up with a better idea wrote the letter.

Quote Originally Posted by nadjatheresa View Post
    This reminds me of the small foreign faction letter.
    Yes! It reminded me immediately of the JonBenet letter....

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to southerngirl For This Useful Post:

I alluded in a previous post about Sloan Bashinsky, the brother of Major, who lives in Key West. I am linking a post he wrote this morning in which he mentions Major's disappearance and family estrangements with both his father and daughters. He believes secrets are revealed to him through his dreams. Quite bizarre...

http://goodmorningfloridakeys.com/?p=1466
    Last edited by southerngirl; 03-09-2010 at 02:16 PM.

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to southerngirl For This Useful Post:

From Sloan's blog:

I have had further dreams about this, and I expect to have even more dreams. It is known in the Bashinsky family that I have been shown family secrets in dreams, which nobody ever disputed, and that my airing out one them caused my father to cut off all communication with me. I did not hear again from my daughters after I aired it out.

If the past is an indicator, I will be shown more, and even more in dreams, even as more information comes to light in human ways.
    First, I can't imagine the dream that permanently estranged him from his father and daughters.

Second, he apparently believes Major's disappearance is family related (or caused).

Hmmmm, does the brother sound off the wall enough to be behind the wacky letters?

43. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

This is what caught my eye from the bro's blog:

Major’s first wife, with whom I used to be very close, said she had heard that around 4 p.m. last Wednesday, the day Major went missing, he was seen by a member of his current wife’s family driving away from his law office south of town toward downtown Birmingham. The relative thought this was odd, as it was late in the day for Major to be driving into Birmingham.

hmmmm - coincidence that member of current wife's family saw him driving away....what's the chances? does this person work w/ Major & that's why s/he was in the area?

Just seems too convenient for me that someone saw him 'driving into Birmingham' -- where his car was found.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

45. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

This article tells where the car was found.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/03/...ing_ex-go.html

(snip)
    Thomas Major Bashinsky, a 63-year-old lawyer, has been missing since Wednesday. His daughter found the car in the 2100 block of 11th Court South while she was distributing fliers in search of information about the case, Lt. Jim Cole of the Mountain Brook Police Department said.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast