Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: AL - Major Bashinsky, 63, Mountain Brook, 3 March 2010

I'm a little confused about how the wife found the potato chip letter. The daughter (with her biological mother, Major's first wife) finds the car (locked) on Sunday while distributing flyers, right? Then police impounded the car for processing but there's some lag while they await search warrant. Yet somehow on Sunday the new wife finds the letter and chip bag duct taped to the back seat?

Am I mixing something up? If not, how do you figure the new wife spotted the letter?

This article says the car was found Saturday:

link

But most say Sunday.

Last seen Wednesday--when was he reported missing? And LE thinks the car wasn't parked until Friday night?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nadjatheresa View Post
    I'm a little confused about how the wife found the potato chip letter. The daughter (with her biological mother, Major's first wife) finds the car (locked) on Sunday while distributing flyers, right? Then police impounded the car for processing but there's some lag while they await search warrant. Yet somehow on Sunday the new wife finds the letter and chip bag duct taped to the back seat?

Am I mixing something up? If not, how do you figure the new wife spotted the letter?

This article says the car was found Saturday:

link

But most say Sunday.

Last seen Wednesday--when was he reported missing? And LE thinks the car wasn't parked until Friday night?

Major's daughter found his car Sunday evening. Leslie, wife #2, received the identical letter in the mail Thursday (could have arrived Wednesday but she said she did not check the mail Wednesday). The CEO of Golden Flake received the same letter as well as other family members. A copy was also found in Major's car and taped with duct tape to a Golden Flake potato chip bag. Leslie saw this; I am assuming she went down to southside to see the car when she heard it had been found.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to southerngirl For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    re: to the letter:
    --------

Why would an employee be angry that goldenflake is doing WELL in the stock market while the rest of our economy is falling down around our ears? This makes absolutely no sense and I think it stinks like hink
    This bee my opinion

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
    --------

Why would an employee be angry that goldenflake is doing WELL in the stock market while the rest of our economy is falling down around our ears? This makes absolutely no sense and I think it stinks like hink
    Nurse, I have zero financial savvy but from Texas Mist Post #12, the analysis says that the company is paying out 259.19% of net income in the form of dividends (6X the industry average) and their market share is LESS than .5%. Maybe the payout of dividends is a bit skewed! MOO just a thought.
    Last edited by eyes4crime; 03-09-2010 at 07:33 PM.
    Please think long and hard before calling a child a 'run-a-way':
    You might be giving a 'perk' to the 'perp'.

Democracy requires the occasional necessity of deferring to the opinions of other people. (Winston Churchill)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eyes4crime For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by eyes4crime View Post
    Nurse, I have zero financial savvy but from Texas Mist Post #12, the analysis says that the company is paying out 259.19% of net income in the form of dividends (6X the industry average) and their market share is LESS than .5%. Maybe the payout of dividends are a bit skewed! MOO just a thought.
    hmmm.

the company was paying very large dividends, the missing guy was a major shareholder and therefore received lots of dividend income and now vanishes.

wonder if the feds will be looking into the books of this corporation?
    Last edited by webrocket; 03-09-2010 at 07:30 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    hmmm.

the company was paying very large dividends, the missing guy was a major shareholder and therefore received lots of dividend income and now vanishes.

The analysis also says that 53% of Golden Enterprises is controlled by the estate of the late Sloan Y. Bashinsky. Sounds like Sloan is the father or grandfather of Major. MOO
    Please think long and hard before calling a child a 'run-a-way':
    You might be giving a 'perk' to the 'perp'.

Democracy requires the occasional necessity of deferring to the opinions of other people. (Winston Churchill)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eyes4crime For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    hmmm.

bouncing off your post, webrocket --

I don't know who did that analysis of Golden Flake...I couldn't tell for certain exactly who published it.

However, I thought the discussion of dividends & reinvesting into the co's R&D was interesting - in light of the letter found....IOW, did whoever wrote the letter see an analysis like that & just run with it? Regardless of it's validity?

Or is the letter part of a dark scheme that just happened to mention 'facts'/opinions in that financial doc because they surfed the web & used it as a basis for the letter??

The situation is so odd - ITA with others -- a bag of chips (probably GF brand) & duct tape??

I'm surprised the car didn't have "Punished!" spray-painted on it (ala Chris Coleman).

I wish I was a fly on the wall where ever the FBI is analyzing that letter.

And it's still bugging me that Major deviated from his routine...he sounds like a very predictable person who's not prone to acting impulsively...and the 'family' member who coincidentally saw him & wondered why he was driving the direction he was going.

One more thing before I forget, there was an email address for the account that posted the GF Exec.Summary....the domain for that email address is on a netblock outta China.
    Last edited by Texas Mist; 03-09-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

I grew up in Birmingham and live outside the city now and it's no secret that the city has more than it's share of violent crime. If you wanted to kill someone and cover it up it seems to me like you'd just leave the car in some bad area and the police would think that it was some kind of robbery. You certainly wouldn't go through the process of making these bizarre letters to make them think it wasn't a robbery case. That's where it differs from the Ramsey case. Children getting attacked in their own homes is definitely not a standard occurrence in Boulder so trying to pin it on a kidnapper makes some kind of twisted sense.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chili Fries For This Useful Post:

The analysis also says that 53% of Golden Enterprises is controlled by the estate of the late Sloan Y. Bashinsky. Sounds like Sloan is the father or grandfather of Major. MOO
    There are 3 Sloan's I know of. There is Sloan, the father of Major, founder of Golden Flake. He died in 2005, I think. There is Sloan, the brother of Major, who lives in Key West. (He is also an attorney and has published a book on real estate). Then there is Sloan, the daughter of Major, who found the car.
    Last edited by southerngirl; 03-09-2010 at 08:45 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to southerngirl For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    Nurse, I have zero financial savvy but from Texas Mist Post #12, the analysis says that the company is paying out 259.19% of net income in the form of dividends (6X the industry average) and their market share is LESS than .5%. Maybe the payout of dividends is a bit skewed! MOO just a thought.
    thank you for that info! But you know, would the average chip~putter~in~the~bagger know this? Tells me it is someone high up and knowledgable...
    This bee my opinion

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

I live not far from Mountain Brook and even closer to Major Bashinsky's office, so I had just a few thoughts on this case.

My first thought is that Major planned this, and the letters, and took off. It also strikes me that his brother (no matter how off the wall he seems) mentions that he has dreams about family members secrets. Why would you mention that? Something tells me that his brother might know something is up.

Also, someone upthread mentioned the wife's relative seeing Major driving towards Birmingham. I find this odd too, unless the relative works with him or works/lives nearby his office. Hwy 280 is a HIGHLY congested area and most evenings it is bumper to bumper traffic which might make it more likely to spot someone, or someone's car, that you know.

I hope Major is found safe ASAP.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TRL For This Useful Post:

Search continues for missing Mountain Brook man

Posted: Mar 09, 2010 8:40 PM MST
    http://www.myfoxal.com/Global/story.asp?S=12113733

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
    --------

that letter really bugs me too, nurse....I think it's a red herring.

ETA: Grabbed this off nasdaq.com tonite

Golden Enterprises Q2 Profit Down; Board Declares Quarterly Dividend - Quick Facts

(RTTNews) - Golden Enterprises, Inc. (GLDC) posted second-quarter net income of $684 thousand compared with $698 thousand in the same period last year. Earnings per share was $0.06, same as last year.

Net sales for the quarter increased to $31.4 million from $29.2 million in the prior year period.

Golden Enterprises, Inc.'s Board of Directors declared a quarterly dividend of $.03125 per share payable January 27, 2010 to stockholders of record on January 15, 2010.

click on this link -- http://quotes.nasdaq.com/asp/Summary...&selected=GLDC -- then choose the news link on the right hand side w/ this date-time stamp RTT News 01/07/2010 12:32PM
    Last edited by Texas Mist; 03-10-2010 at 03:11 AM.
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

The analysis also says that 53% of Golden Enterprises is controlled by the estate of the late Sloan Y. Bashinsky.
    I think the letters are a red herring too. But putting that aside...if someone were upset about the dividends I would look at somebody who felt he or she should have been part of the SYB trust which was set up after Sloan Bashinsky died in 2005 but was left out. Again, I think the letters are a misdirection but I know the dynamics when people feel like they have wrongly left out of a will or given less than what they think they deserve.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chili Fries For This Useful Post:

Hoping to hear some news soon!!

Hey guys another local here. I work with a man who is from Mountain Brook and knows Mr. Bashinsky. He said it does not fit him to just take off, but honestly that is what my first thought was when this letter business came out.

I did want to add that I have no proof at all but I heard that Police know more (possibly even have found him) but that they are not releasing that information.... This is total gossip from one of the "villages" around Mountain Brook and has absolutely no proof, nor do I even think it is true. I did find it odd that his brother said that the Police had more evidence as well... I wonder what we are not hearing.

I pray he has just decided to take off and will be found safe soon, for his children's sake if nothing else.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AmyinTheHam For This Useful Post:

I was raised in Mountain Brook and still live there today. Anyone who says that this is "Uncharacteristic" or "Doesnt Fit his personality" does not actually know Major or any of the Banshinsky's. I have known Major and his son Brooks for many years and they are both interesting people to put it nicely. Years ago Major's brother Sloan disappeared for over 6 months and was finally found wandering the streets, homeless and dirty. I'm not sure what to think about this case but I wouldnt be surprised if Major orchestrated this whole disappearance. Think about a few things: 1)He is not nearly as wealthy as people think, his stepmother controls all the money 2) He is 63 with a wife a lot younger and two children aged 6 & 8 (I believe) in addition to his other grown children from a previous marriage 3) The thought of never being able to retire and having to work for the rest of his life to support his young wife and children could have just been too much to handle and he may have wanted out. Just some things that have gone through my head in the past few days. I truly hope Major is OK and makes it back to his family safe and sound.

33. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tjanderson For This Useful Post:

Well I don't know him or his family. I do know that everyone in Mountain Brook seems to "know" each other, but most likely most don't. So he could be just saying that he does, and thinking he does, but really he does not. Again my first thought was he just left, when I heard about the letter and such.

Just had an interview with his wife Leslie on the local news. Not much new, she says her worst fear is that he is not alive. Tells the kids she doesn't know when dad is coming back. They did say that the FBI is now on the case.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chili Fries For This Useful Post:

Sloan, the brother in Key West, says today in his blog he was sexually molested as a child. Could this be the secret which caused estrangement between him and his father and his own daughters?

http://goodmorningfloridakeys.com/?m=20100302

Also, Sloan has written a number of books, including a work of fiction, Heavy Wait: A Strange Tale. Apparently this book is about child molestation. He says he has "lived" this tale in many ways. If he was indeed molested, this could explain why he ditched his law career and prominent family and hangs out in Key West where other haunted and tormented people have hidden away (like Ernest Hemingway).
    Last edited by southerngirl; 03-10-2010 at 07:31 PM.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to southerngirl For This Useful Post:

an f'ed up family with money.

That is one of the most bizarre blogs I have ever read.I would run as fast as I could, from that man and the trailer.

http://goodmorningfloridakeys.com/?m=20100302

41. The Following User Says Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

this blog is written by the brother who lives in the Keys.

http://goodmorningfloridakeys.com/?page_id=1390

strange..very strange..

Bumping up.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast