Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: AL - Major Bashinsky, 63, Mountain Brook, 3 March 2010

This case is starting to feel like a Southern Gothic Novel.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Exclusive Interview With Major Bashinsky's Brother

Reported by: Shanisty Myers
    Last Update: 3/17 10:48 pm

<snip>

www.goodmorningkeywest.com, Sloan talks about his relationship with his brother Major and the Bashinsky family. He says the last time the brothers exchanged words was in 2005 at their father's memorial service. But, Sloan is very outspoken about Major's death through his blog.

"It looks to me like a riddle and it looks like it's rigged. How does he end up in that lake or in the pond and dump him in plain view, it doesn't make any damn sense to me and I can't imagine who would have it in for him," Sloan Bashinsky says.

Sloan tells us there is a long history of difficult events within the Bashinsky family.

"I'm not talking about the details whether Major was murdered or if he killed himself I'm talking about the details of why it was not his time to be alive anymore," says Sloan.

Sloan says he isn't sure if his brother committed suicide, but he wouldn't be surprised.

"What if he was being blackmailed and people had photos and were threatening to expose it would my brother commit suicide over that? Very easily," says Sloan.

While, Sloan says he doesn't want to become part of the investigation, he openly share his own speculations.

"This case is weird it's like it was designed, like someone created it. Was it major or someone that had it in for him."

more here -- including news vid w/ telephone conversation w/ Sloan.

http://www.cbs42.com/content/localne...G_MNZC9OQ.cspx
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

Web Extra: Leslie Bashinsky Speaks

Reported by: Kim Carapucci
    Email: kcarapucci@cbs42.com
    Contributor: Veair Green
    Last Update: 3/17 10:47 pm

She says she doesn't know what the note police found attached to her husbands body said. For now, her focus is on their two young children and what the loss of their father will mean to them.

But even with Major's body found, his wife still has no idea how he ended up floating in the lake. As far as the cause of death, the coroner refused to comment on specifics. But, he did say they may know as early as Monday.

13-minute video here -- most of which is interview w/ Leslie

http://www.cbs42.com/content/localne...p6lNbT8sw.cspx

In it she says the 'message in the bottle' was tied to Major's body with a rope.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post
    Exclusive Interview With Major Bashinsky's Brother

Reported by: Shanisty Myers
    Last Update: 3/17 10:48 pm

<snip>

www.goodmorningkeywest.com, Sloan talks about his relationship with his brother Major and the Bashinsky family. [snip]

more here -- including news vid w/ telephone conversation w/ Sloan.

http://www.cbs42.com/content/localne...G_MNZC9OQ.cspx
    This part doesn't sound right:
    "Mountain Brook Police Chief Johnny Stanley [...] says they will take all leads seriously, but the case is now in the Birmingham Police Department's hands. The Birmingham Police Department tells us, they will not begin the investigation until the coroner's office rules on the official cause of death. That report could come by early next week. "

Sounds as if no one is currently investigating. But that can't be...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gnomony For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gnomony View Post
    "Mountain Brook Police Chief Johnny Stanley [...] says they will take all leads seriously, but the case is now in the Birmingham Police Department's hands. The Birmingham Police Department tells us, they will not begin the investigation until the coroner's office rules on the official cause of death. That report could come by early next week. "

If the death is ruled a suicide by the coroner, the investigation is essentially over. The coronor has to rule the death is a result of murder before an investigation begins. The police must first know the cause and manner of death.

Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    If that's the case then it could have played out that way but it must have been a quiet night if no one else saw them there. Odd that a high class golf course would be so accessible to people for 'extracurricular activities' after hours.

That still would not explain how a random killing like that would give rise to the letters ranting about dividends.
    Highland is not a "high class" course. It is a public course that is very affordable. Birmingham Country Club is the high class, exclusive course that Major belonged to....they are two different places.

Sloan's blog makes it seem that it was common knowledge that his brother was bisexual.
    http://goodmorningkeywest.com/?cat=3#038;paged=1

If so, wouldn't the wife have known or suspected? Is that why she seems so calm and unemotional- just talking about the children and missing their milestones, etc.? Almost as if she expected something like this to happen at some point- where he would not want to go on or someone else would not want him to be alive. And she went to the beach for spring break! She seems resigned as if something like this was inevitable.
    Last edited by BhamAdGal; 03-18-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: wrong message replied to

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BhamAdGal For This Useful Post:

I found that to be an odd statement too...especially given the circumstances surrounding his disappearance & the FBI's involvement.

BTW, Sloan has updated his blog this a.m. w/ info on the (non) investigation.

Last paragraph summary:

Pistol found, single GSW to head, body not in pond very long. FWIW

http://goodmorningfloridakeys.com/?m=20100318
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BhamAdGal View Post
    Sloan's blog makes it seem that it was common knowledge that his brother was bisexual.

If so, wouldn't the wife have known or suspected? Is that why she seems so calm and unemotional- just talking about the children and missing their milestones, etc.? Almost as if she expected something like this to happen at some point- where he would not want to go on or someone else would not want him to be alive. And she went to the beach for spring break! She seems resigned as if something like this was inevitable.
    I agree about his wife. She seems like a very reserved/outwardly unemotional person anyway. And someone who fits perfectly with Sloan's comments about Major being extremely worried about appearances. There does seem to be genuine sadness welling up in her near the end of that interview but it seems clear there was a lot of dysfunction and sadness in that family long before Major's body was found.

Can't imagine anybody committing suicide by shooting themselves in the back of the head - not really possible.

Gay, bi, or straight, this man is dead and has left his children and family behind.

Seems to me someone is trying to tie his murder to the letters and I don't think that's the case. Also, I don't think this has anything to do with his sexual orientation - somebody wanted him dead, somebody in the family? MOO

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eyes4crime For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BhamAdGal View Post

I question the brothers motive. He hasn't spoke to Major since 2005. He doesn't want to be part of the investigation. Yet, he doesn't mind spreading the bisexual rumor/fact that his brother wanted kept quiet. In my opinion, Sloan hasn't thought about the pain he is adding to Major's wife and children, two of which are grown. Ok now that I have actually read Sloan's blog and not just heard about it, I'm thinking he is crazy.
    Last edited by MCDRAW; 03-18-2010 at 02:48 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MCDRAW For This Useful Post:

It seems to me that no one is broken up over Major's death. They all seem to offer up the obligatory and cliche statements at a minimum. And that includes the major's wife. Not sure what it all means, just an observation.

http://www2.nbc13.com/vtm/news/local...rs_son/138830/

(snip)
    Late Wednesday Golden Flake President Mark McClutcheon said in a statement, “We offer our prayers and sympathy to Major’s family on their loss.“
    Last edited by SuziQ; 03-18-2010 at 09:24 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Leslie Bashinsky might now be one of the wealthier widows in all of Alabama.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

Another interesting observation....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Because the gun was (allegedly) found at the scene I now am leaning toward suicide as being the manner of death. It seems to me if Major was killed in a homicide the perp would not leave the gun at the scene. Too much evidence can be gained by LE if they have the murder weapon.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to southerngirl For This Useful Post:

Wonder who has the most to gain from his death? Not only from insurance policies but from the business? Maybe this was a hired hand who did the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by southerngirl View Post
    Because the gun was (allegedly) found at the scene I now am leaning toward suicide as being the manner of death. It seems to me if Major was killed in a homicide the perp would not leave the gun at the scene. Too much evidence can be gained by LE if they have the murder weapon.

They found the gun at the scene? I hadn't heard that.

Someone had posted (I think) the possibility that he hired someone to kill him, so that he would not have to do it himself. I agree this is a possible theory, but I according to the brother Sloan's blog, Major has a grown son who does not, in Sloan's opinion, get along well with his Dad. I cheded the local phone listings, and without giving out specific info, there is a party by the last name of Bashinsky who lives near that golf course. I had to wonder if the grown son A. is really that much at odds with his father, and B. would he/could he be angry enough to do something like murder, and C. does he live near the Higland Golf course, or maybe he was visitng someone near there, and asked his father to meet him? Just speculating, but outside of a stranger who was a gay man, could someone close to Major, a family membere even, be the one who did him in? The police are not saying anything much. How long does it take to decide that a death was or was not caused by suicide? Could someone have tried to make it look like a suicide, and left the gun, but wiped it clean? Just some thoughts and questions I have - this is one strange case. It has all the makings of a novel.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kateyes For This Useful Post:

An Invitation

Quote Originally Posted by tjanderson View Post
    I would love to continue to give what information I have to this board but I have been asked by a family member to stop posting on this website and I will respect their wishes. Thanks
    Join us elsewhere if you like; there are plenty more dragons to slay, I mean threads to sleuth at WS.

I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow,
    but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing. Agatha Christie

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KeenEyes For This Useful Post:

I'm not so sure about that. From what I've read it sounds like Major's stepmother is easily the richest widow in the family and the rest of the family will have to wait until she passes to divy up the very substantial stocks, trusts and cash she is in charge of. I wonder how much of that Leslie will have access to, or whether Major being dead might mean it goes into trusts for her children or something like that.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chili Fries For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MCDRAW View Post
    They found the gun at the scene? I hadn't heard that.
    They did, according to Sloan's blog.

Autopsy result may be in today....

36. The Following User Says Thank You to southerngirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MCDRAW View Post
    I question the brothers motive. He hasn't spoke to Major since 2005. He doesn't want to be part of the investigation. Yet, he doesn't mind spreading the bisexual rumor/fact that his brother wanted kept quiet. In my opinion, Sloan hasn't thought about the pain he is adding to Major's wife and children, two of which are grown. Ok now that I have actually read Sloan's blog and not just heard about it, I'm thinking he is crazy.
    Sloan may seem to be a couple of conch fritters short of a full seafood platter, but he clearly knows a lot of the back story here and, in my judgment, he appears to have reached a point in his life where he has made a choice to speak his truth without regard to what people think of him. I value that.

When he writes about what the "Board of Directors" (Jesus, et al) tell him, it may sound like he's saying that he listens to the little voices in his head. But if he said that he prayed for guidance and Jesus told him what to do, fewer would be calling him crazy. Some of this apparent craziness may really be only his unorthodox way of thinking about and expressing his own thought processes.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gnomony For This Useful Post:

http://www.myfoxal.com/Global/story.asp?S=12169200

Bashinsky death investigation turned over to Birmingham police

MOUNTAIN BROOK, AL (WBRC) - Mountain Brook police have now turned over the investigation into Major Bashinsky's death to the Birmingham police. [snip]

Leslie Bashinsky said in a CBS 42 TV interview that a bottle was found tied to her husband's waist when they found him in the pond. There was a letter inside but she doesn't know what it said. Seems to me this whole thing is a suicide made to look like a murder or a murder made to look like a suicide. What a mystery!!

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bhammom For This Useful Post:

Sloan may seem to be a couple of conch fritters short of a full seafood platter, but he clearly knows a lot of the back story here and, in my judgment, he appears to have reached a point in his life where he has made a choice to speak his truth without regard to what people think of him. I value that.

When he writes about what the "Board of Directors" (Jesus, et al) tell him, it may sound like he's saying that he listens to the little voices in his head. But if he said that he prayed for guidance and Jesus told him what to do, fewer would be calling him crazy. Some of this apparent craziness may really be only his unorthodox way of thinking about and expressing his own thought processes.
    Initially I thought Sloan to be 'crazy' but after re-reading his blog, I agree he's 'unorthodox' or another word comes to mind -- eccentric...he definitely marches to the beat of a diff. drummer...and he doesn't seem to care what people think & is openminded....speaking out & choosing not to hide any skeletons in the family closet may upset a 'prominent' family, but it may be the only way to uncover what happened to Major.

http://www.myfoxal.com/Global/story.asp?S=12169200

Bashinsky death investigation turned over to Birmingham police

MOUNTAIN BROOK, AL (WBRC) - Mountain Brook police have now turned over the investigation into Major Bashinsky's death to the Birmingham police. [snip]
    Sounds like they do believe Major died in Birmingham.

I wish I could find the link again -- I read that LE believes his body was in the pond for only a short time....if I find it I'll update this post....I hope I didn't just dream that I read that!!
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast