1093 users online (188 members and 905 guests)  

Websleuths News

Germany - Pope's brother: I ignored physical abuse reports

Pope's brother: I ignored physical abuse reports

"The pope's brother said in a newspaper interview published Tuesday that he slapped pupils as punishment after he took over a renowned German boys' choir in the 1960s. He also said he was aware of allegations of physical abuse at an elementary school linked to the choir but did nothing about it.

The Rev. Georg Ratzinger, 86, said he was completely unaware of allegations of sexual abuse at the Regensburger Domspatzen boys choir, part of a string of charges of sex abuse by church employees across Europe in recent days....."

more at link

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    Pope's brother: I ignored physical abuse reports

"The pope's brother said in a newspaper interview published Tuesday that he slapped pupils as punishment after he took over a renowned German boys' choir in the 1960s. He also said he was aware of allegations of physical abuse at an elementary school linked to the choir but did nothing about it.

The Rev. Georg Ratzinger, 86, said he was completely unaware of allegations of sexual abuse at the Regensburger Domspatzen boys choir, part of a string of charges of sex abuse by church employees across Europe in recent days....."

more at link
    The Pope has a brother? Who knew?

Iz, trust me I am the last person who will stand up and defend ANYONE let alone a Priest who has abused a child. However, the physical abuse being ignored I have to say and this is only me that it was no big whoop back in the day.

I'm a product of the Catholic school system. Basically we all had our own dealings with some sort of abuse. My heart breaks for the poor people that were sexually abused by people we were taught to respect. I can't even fathom it. Again though the physical getting the crap knocked out of you was common place. Not to mention the mental. Them Nuns would cut you down at the drop of a hat.

Maybe I'll take flak for this and again it's just my experience. German's. I am one. Maybe it's just my own family, but you get handed out a whoppin you best not cry or protest. People I grew up with and my siblings to this day we tell the stories of how it was in school. Today what happened to us and again I know nobody who was sexually abused in school but today they did that those Nuns would be locked up. Lemme tell you we were less likely to act up out of fear.

Mentally I can tell you I had been made to wear a sign one day all day that said "I am boy crazy". The Nun that did that also sprayed me with Lysol. I guess she tried to excorsize me. LOL I saw people get their head stuck in buckets of dirty water. People made to wear rope around their waist if they forgot their belt. That was the 60's so no doubt it was no biggie to the Pope's brother.

BTW, my mom loves this Pope.

German bishops to investigate abuse charges
    Updated at 07:37 AM today

BERLIN, Germany -- The German Bishops Conference will lead an investigation into all allegations of the sexual and physical abuse of students in Germany, a top prelate announced Wednesday.

That investigation will include examining allegations of sexual abuse at a choir once led by the pope's brother and looking into what, if anything, Pope Benedict XVI himself knew in his previous position as the archbishop of Munich, prelate Karl Juesten told the Associated Press.

Juesten, the liaison between Roman Catholic bishops and the German government, also praised the pope's brother, the Rev. Georg Ratzinger, for apologizing to victims on Tuesday for doing nothing decades ago to stop the beating of students.

More than 170 students at Catholic schools across Germany have said they were sexually abused years ago and others have made allegations of severe beatings.

The German abuse allegations are particularly sensitive because Germany is the pope's homeland and because the scandals involve the prestigious Domspatzen boys choir that was led by his brother from 1964 till 1994.

Juesten said it was not known if Pope Benedict, who served as archbishop of Munich and Freising from 1977 to 1981, was aware of any of the child abuse cases that took place then at Catholic schools and other institutions.

"We do not know if the pope knew about the abuse cases at the time," Juesten said. "However, we assume that this is not the case."

Marx will be "certainly investigating these questions," he said.

The Domspatzen choir led by his brother reported to the Regensburg Diocese and not to the archbishop of Munich.

Juesten also called Ratzinger's apology to the victims an act of courage.

"It is certainly not easy for such a man to publicly apologize," Juesten said.

Ratzinger, the pope's older brother, says students told him of allegations of physical abuse at an elementary school in Germany decades ago and apologized Tuesday for doing nothing about it.

more here

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...rld&id=7322194
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

Yeah, Filly, who knew about a brother? I'm not Catholic and I always thought Popes just sort of sprung forth fully grown and without families. Like they just came out of the Pope machine over at the Vatican. I learn something new everyday and here's something even new-er but hardly surprising--the numbers are growing. If the Bishop had been reading here, he probably would not have been shocked. We could have prepared him.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_german...1hbmJpc2hvcA--

German bishop surprised at number of abuse cases

"The Roman Catholic bishops in Pope Benedict XVI's native Bavaria sought Tuesday to deal with a sexual abuse scandal whose ever-widening scope has left church leaders baffled. [ETA: Baffled???]

"I would not have expected such a multitude of cases," Bavarian Bishop Ludwig Schick, who is hosting his colleagues' meeting at Vierzehnheiligen, told Bayerischer Rundfunk Radio.

He said he was shaken and ashamed of what had taken place within the church.
    "It is bitter and it is hard, but it has to be dealt with," Schick said. "This festering blister needs to be opened up and dried out in order for it to heal."

In Bavaria alone, more than 100 former students of Catholic institutions have come forward with claims of physical or sexual abuse.

Some of those cases involve the prestigious Regensburg Domspatzen boys choir once led by the pope's older brother, Rev. Georg Ratzinger......"