Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WA - Katherine Huether, 24, North Bonneville, 4 March 2010

WA - Katherine Huether, 24, North Bonneville, 4 March 2010

I've been wondering why this woman hasn't been mentioned on Web Sleuths. I saw her case on JVM last night and did a search and it didn't turn up anything. If a thread exists, feel free to merge or delete.

Weather stymies air support but ground search resumes for missing hiker

NORTH BONNEVILLE, Wash. -- The search for 24-year-old Katherine Huether resumed this morning, the sixth day after the Portland State University student went missing during a hike on the Pacific Crest Trail near Bonneville Dam in Washington's Skamania County.

Thirty people, some using search dogs and horses, planned to continue concentrating on lower elevations of a 12 mile area around Table Mountain where Huether is believed to have traveled, said Skamania County Undersheriff Dave Cox.
    View full sizeSkamania County Sheriff
    Katherine Huether and her dog. Sheriff officials are using the dog today in hopes of finding the missing hiker.

Requested air support was uncertain, Cox said, as heavy, low cloud cover was socking in the area down to the 500 foot snow level.

More at link...
    http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...upport_bu.html
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 03-14-2010 at 08:54 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

There are plenty of news articles found through a Google search. They all basically say the same thing.

This is about 2 1/2 hours from where Nancy Moyer went missing. Quite a distance, but I think they look similar with the long dark hair.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

Just to note an interesting tidbit that has been released:

Deputies believe Huether is lost or stranded, though they have not ruled out foul play. On the afternoon she disappeared, Skamania County received a report of a man exposing himself near the area where Huether set out to hike.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

Officials to evaluate Gorge search for Portland hiker

http://www.newsrunner.com/display-ar...Portland+hiker

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Weather stymies air support but ground search resumes for Portland's Katherine Huether

Members of the Pierce County Explorer Search and Rescue group take off on the trail past Gillette Lake as they start looking for lost hiker Katherine Huether. The search for 24-year-old Huether resumed this morning, the sixth day after the Portland State University student went missing during a hike on the Pacific Crest Trail near Bonneville Dam in Washington's Skamania County.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    so sad.... one of the reports said her dad is out there hiking to look for her with his knee brace on and limping; he just had ACL repair surgery..
    This bee my opinion

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Robert Heuther, father of lost hiker Katherine Huether, talks on the cell phone outside of the Skamania Sheriff Mobile Command, just off State Route 14 near Bonneville Dam.

I really wish the buddy system would be used , their have been way to many tragedies, lately.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Man, this is a bad place to get lost. I went hiking in the area with my family tons of times when I was a kid. The climb out of the gorge is really steep. There are ancient lava flows in places, which are well-known for claiming hikers' lives since it's very easy to get disoriented and hurt yourself on a jagged piece of rock or unseen hole. I don't think there are any lava flows that near the river, but she may have encountered them if she kept going north. This area is very undeveloped once you get off the main roads. The weather can be quite changeable in the gorge (and it's usually windy, too). I can't imagine that there would be lots of people on the trails this time of year, either - IIRC, the earliest we ever tried to hike was May.

Here is a google map of the area - the red A marker is the Bonneville Dam, where her car was said to be parked. Gillette Lake (where the search party started out) is the little lake shaped like the number 7 just below Little Blue Lake, and Table Mountain is in the upper left.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...64452&t=p&z=13
    Last edited by coklat; 03-10-2010 at 05:51 PM.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to coklat For This Useful Post:

Thank you so much for starting this. I have been following this story for a few days, also wondering why no mention here @ WS. I kept doing searches but never started a thread, because I was unsure if there was one somewhere already.

REcent article also mentions the "flasher"

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outp...ing-hiker.html
    Last edited by lurkeyloo; 03-10-2010 at 07:01 PM.

~One Angry Mother~

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lurkeyloo For This Useful Post:

did she take her phone with her??? you would think she would have and they would have had a few pings here or there.... actually this settles it for me... I am getting my son that gps tracker when I get him his first cell phone hands down. And if a microchip comes out before than I will put one of those on him... so many scary situations where modern technology could really help....
    This bee my opinion

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

The "Ron & Don" talkshow(KIRO Radio Seattle 97.3fm) featured this story today and interviewed the under-sheriff. There is a possible POI who was supposed to take a lie detector test today, he was "too busy" to come in. The interview should be on mynorthwest.com (sorry I can't make the hyperlink work) There is more to the story than simply a "missing" hiker.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jmarple For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jmarple View Post
    The "Ron & Don" talkshow(KIRO Radio Seattle 97.3fm) featured this story today and interviewed the under-sheriff. There is a possible POI who was supposed to take a lie detector test today, he was "too busy" to come in. The interview should be on mynorthwest.com (sorry I can't make the hyperlink work) There is more to the story than simply a "missing" hiker.
    ****thud*****
    This bee my opinion

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=296337
    'snipped'

Huether's roommate David Danowski has spent time on the trail helping in the search, but Danowski says his gut tells him they're not looking in the right place. "My gut feeling, she's not on this mountain."
    "I have a person of interest that I've let the police know about, that we've had some unusual activity with this gentleman that she knows. This particular gentleman came over Saturday night and kind of said, 'Hey she's missing,' and I look at my other roommate Lesley and I say, 'Well what do you mean she's missing? Wouldn't it be normal for you to ask somebody where she was? Have you seen her?" Danowski told KIRO Radio's Ron & Don that police will question the man Wednesday. "I've alerted the police and they're going to question this gentleman tomorrow. I just don't have a good feeling about this whole thing."

..more at the link..
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

Exclamation latest developments!

Huether's roommate David Danowski has spent time on the trail helping in the search, but Danowski says his gut tells him they're not looking in the right place. "My gut feeling, she's not on this mountain."

"I have a person of interest that I've let the police know about, that we've had some unusual activity with this gentleman that she knows. This particular gentleman came over Saturday night and kind of said, 'Hey she's missing,' and I look at my other roommate Lesley and I say, 'Well what do you mean she's missing? Wouldn't it be normal for you to ask somebody where she was? Have you seen her?"

Danowski told KIRO Radio's Ron & Don that police will question the man Wednesday. "I've alerted the police and they're going to question this gentleman tomorrow. I just don't have a good feeling about this whole thing."
    Searchers found their first clue Sunday when someone found a credit card receipt with Huether's name on it about four miles north of Bonneville Dam in the Table Mountain area.

Danowski is suspicious of the find saying it seems too great a distance for Huether to have set out on if she was just starting out for the hike at 3pm.

"I thought when I saw that receipt being found 7 miles up I thought this is completely-something was staged."
    I just don't think she would do this hike alone, do it at this time frame, at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, and not take her dog with her. I've never seen her hiking without her dog."
    http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=296337

much more at link including the radio interview audio!!
    This bee my opinion

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

This bee my opinion

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Wow - this is not sounding good at all.
    ~~~Cynical Optimist~~~

Post radio show notes

notes from radio show:

-DD, landlord and roommate

-thursday K, per text (not phone call) to friends says she is at the trailhead at 1450

-west of pacific crest trail about noon woman concerned enough to call LE about man following and flashing

-it was her birthday!

-not odd for her to be gone a day or so but by Saturday (two days later) they are like where is kate? so they make a mpr.

-at that point they didn't know what trail head she was at (wasn't contained in text)

-thursday at 6pm le noticed car at campsite , ran the plates, saw no warrants or anything unusual about the vehicle so the dots were not connected until saturday when the mrp was filed (re emphasizes they did not know what trail head she was at)

-her cell phone was in the car and she usually always takes her dog with her

-pretty smart hiker and for her to go in at three pm at the bottom of that hike... canopy is thick and dark in there

-never seen her not hiking without the dog. or alone.

-dog is half setter half lab,

-landlord has person of interest "at the house" (not sure if he lives there... that is nurse talking) and he comes over saturday and says, she is missing and everyone was like, she is??

-why say that? they ask him wouldn't it be normal to ask where is she? how does he know she is missing?

-he leaves at eleven he tries to talk to him and ask where do you think she is and he
    tries to direct him somewhere in clackimus damascus (sp)
    -at midnight he is up at the (?) bridge of the gods bridge asking the toll operator
    hey who works here where are the cameras at
    -gets better than this.....he than comes to the house and finds two hiking books he brings one out and he has some pages she had marked

-the receipt (credit card) he gets out of the police that it is a POWER BOOK ??RECEIPT AND IT IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND ETA the book is no where to be found they then call him and he says he left it at the house... it cannot be found and the credit card was usedETA the credit card receipt of the book/the actual piece of paper was found seven miles into the trail area

-gut feeling she is not on the mountain

-reciept was a plant in his opinion

-poi she texted HIM AT 1450 PM AND HAD OTHER CALLS WITH HIM

-he claimed when asked that where she was... he did not know

-when he came over saturday night he told them that they (he and kate) had tentative dinner plans for thursday night

-mpr was at three pm

-le didn't connect the dots with the car location until sunday morning

-until they had the location they thought she would have been on the "oregon side"

-person has been elusive and won't talk to the landlord stayed to self

-someone called about missing book and spooked him and he hasn't been around since

-le agreed he was a person of interest

-had said she wants to do that trail but had wanted to do it with someone.

-he thinks foul play

-first time most likely she had never been to that trail before

-she turned 23
    Last edited by nursebeeme; 03-10-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: clarity on receipt
    This bee my opinion

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Not sounding good at all..

The effort to find 24-year-old Kathrine Huether only turned up one clue -- a credit card receipt -- found off the Pacific Crest Trail, said Skamania County Undersheriff David Cox.
    On Wednesday, nearly 50 ground searchers, two K-9 teams, two searchers on horseback and a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter scoured a 12-mile perimeter but found no sign of Huether.
    Deputies said they will re-evaluate if new information surfaces.
    Huether sent a text message to a friend last Thursday before setting out to hike in Skamania County. Her message indicated she would be home by 8 p.m. that night.
    http://www.kptv.com/news/22803873/detail.html

so now WE KNOW.... the credit card receipt was an actual piece of paper.... (for book) found SEVEN MILES from her car!!!!! And the book is no where to be found.
    This bee my opinion

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

So who is this POI? BF, ex-BF, wannabe suitor, stalker?

I just don't feel this will end well. She sounds like an experienced hiker - not likely to go out alone that time of day, no puppy, no phone. Nope. Sounds like this POS didn't think things through. Do they ever?
    ~~~Cynical Optimist~~~

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fairy1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post

-the receipt (credit card) he gets out of the police that it is a POWER BOOK ??RECEIPT AND IT IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND they then call him and he says he left it at the house... it cannot be found and the credit card was used seven miles into the trail area
    I think he said "Powell's Book" receipt. http://www.powells.com/

Not having good feelings about this.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RLynne For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure why someone would START a hike at 3pm this time of year up here. It gets dark early. That doesn't mean people don't - I have a friend in SAR who gets to rescue the "oh, it'll only be an hour hike" types all the time.

The police will easily be able to see if that text message was sent from the trail head or not.

clackimus damascus
    Clackamas County. There's a city called Damascus. This is outside of Portland.

North Bonneville is about an hour from Portland, more or less.

Searchers found their first clue Sunday when someone found a credit card receipt with Huether's name on it about four miles north of Bonneville Dam in the Table Mountain area.

Danowski is suspicious of the find saying it seems too great a distance for Huether to have set out on if she was just starting out for the hike at 3pm.

"I thought when I saw that receipt being found 7 miles up I thought this is completely-something was staged."
    Depends on where the receipt was placed. Was it near another trailhead or isolated?

42. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulR For This Useful Post:

There is a book called The Power Book and there is an Apple Computer called Power Book.

Wonder which?
    Justice for Nevaeh FB Group http://bit.ly/justice4nevaeh

In Memory of Aja D. Johnson:
    http://bit.ly/AjaFacebookGroup

In Memory of Ethan Stacy -
    http://bit.ly/inmemoryofethan

44. The Following User Says Thank You to darlin gal For This Useful Post:

Search Suspended For Missing Portland Hiker

http://www.kptv.com/news/22803873/detail.html

I think it is suspended because they know someone harmed her.Does it ever end?

46. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

check out this map I did!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...d87a780fd10da8

click on the little beacons to the left. Feel free to zoom in. I have included all the areas that the roommate mentioned about the male roommate. It is rather telling when you look at the map imhoo
    This bee my opinion

48. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast