Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

WA - Katherine Huether, 24, North Bonneville, 4 March 2010

I've been wondering why this woman hasn't been mentioned on Web Sleuths. I saw her case on JVM last night and did a search and it didn't turn up anything. If a thread exists, feel free to merge or delete.

Weather stymies air support but ground search resumes for missing hiker

NORTH BONNEVILLE, Wash. -- The search for 24-year-old Katherine Huether resumed this morning, the sixth day after the Portland State University student went missing during a hike on the Pacific Crest Trail near Bonneville Dam in Washington's Skamania County.

Thirty people, some using search dogs and horses, planned to continue concentrating on lower elevations of a 12 mile area around Table Mountain where Huether is believed to have traveled, said Skamania County Undersheriff Dave Cox.
    View full sizeSkamania County Sheriff
    Katherine Huether and her dog. Sheriff officials are using the dog today in hopes of finding the missing hiker.

Requested air support was uncertain, Cox said, as heavy, low cloud cover was socking in the area down to the 500 foot snow level.

More at link...
    http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...upport_bu.html
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 03-14-2010 at 08:54 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

There are plenty of news articles found through a Google search. They all basically say the same thing.

This is about 2 1/2 hours from where Nancy Moyer went missing. Quite a distance, but I think they look similar with the long dark hair.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

Just to note an interesting tidbit that has been released:

Deputies believe Huether is lost or stranded, though they have not ruled out foul play. On the afternoon she disappeared, Skamania County received a report of a man exposing himself near the area where Huether set out to hike.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

Officials to evaluate Gorge search for Portland hiker

http://www.newsrunner.com/display-ar...Portland+hiker

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Weather stymies air support but ground search resumes for Portland's Katherine Huether

Members of the Pierce County Explorer Search and Rescue group take off on the trail past Gillette Lake as they start looking for lost hiker Katherine Huether. The search for 24-year-old Huether resumed this morning, the sixth day after the Portland State University student went missing during a hike on the Pacific Crest Trail near Bonneville Dam in Washington's Skamania County.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    so sad.... one of the reports said her dad is out there hiking to look for her with his knee brace on and limping; he just had ACL repair surgery..

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Robert Heuther, father of lost hiker Katherine Huether, talks on the cell phone outside of the Skamania Sheriff Mobile Command, just off State Route 14 near Bonneville Dam.

I really wish the buddy system would be used , their have been way to many tragedies, lately.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Man, this is a bad place to get lost. I went hiking in the area with my family tons of times when I was a kid. The climb out of the gorge is really steep. There are ancient lava flows in places, which are well-known for claiming hikers' lives since it's very easy to get disoriented and hurt yourself on a jagged piece of rock or unseen hole. I don't think there are any lava flows that near the river, but she may have encountered them if she kept going north. This area is very undeveloped once you get off the main roads. The weather can be quite changeable in the gorge (and it's usually windy, too). I can't imagine that there would be lots of people on the trails this time of year, either - IIRC, the earliest we ever tried to hike was May.

Here is a google map of the area - the red A marker is the Bonneville Dam, where her car was said to be parked. Gillette Lake (where the search party started out) is the little lake shaped like the number 7 just below Little Blue Lake, and Table Mountain is in the upper left.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...64452&t=p&z=13
    Last edited by coklat; 03-10-2010 at 05:51 PM.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to coklat For This Useful Post:

Thank you so much for starting this. I have been following this story for a few days, also wondering why no mention here @ WS. I kept doing searches but never started a thread, because I was unsure if there was one somewhere already.

REcent article also mentions the "flasher"

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outp...ing-hiker.html
    Last edited by lurkeyloo; 03-10-2010 at 07:01 PM.

~One Angry Mother~

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lurkeyloo For This Useful Post:

did she take her phone with her??? you would think she would have and they would have had a few pings here or there.... actually this settles it for me... I am getting my son that gps tracker when I get him his first cell phone hands down. And if a microchip comes out before than I will put one of those on him... so many scary situations where modern technology could really help....

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

The "Ron & Don" talkshow(KIRO Radio Seattle 97.3fm) featured this story today and interviewed the under-sheriff. There is a possible POI who was supposed to take a lie detector test today, he was "too busy" to come in. The interview should be on mynorthwest.com (sorry I can't make the hyperlink work) There is more to the story than simply a "missing" hiker.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jmarple For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jmarple View Post
    The "Ron & Don" talkshow(KIRO Radio Seattle 97.3fm) featured this story today and interviewed the under-sheriff. There is a possible POI who was supposed to take a lie detector test today, he was "too busy" to come in. The interview should be on mynorthwest.com (sorry I can't make the hyperlink work) There is more to the story than simply a "missing" hiker.
    ****thud*****

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=296337
    'snipped'

Huether's roommate David Danowski has spent time on the trail helping in the search, but Danowski says his gut tells him they're not looking in the right place. "My gut feeling, she's not on this mountain."
    "I have a person of interest that I've let the police know about, that we've had some unusual activity with this gentleman that she knows. This particular gentleman came over Saturday night and kind of said, 'Hey she's missing,' and I look at my other roommate Lesley and I say, 'Well what do you mean she's missing? Wouldn't it be normal for you to ask somebody where she was? Have you seen her?" Danowski told KIRO Radio's Ron & Don that police will question the man Wednesday. "I've alerted the police and they're going to question this gentleman tomorrow. I just don't have a good feeling about this whole thing."

..more at the link..
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

Exclamation latest developments!

Huether's roommate David Danowski has spent time on the trail helping in the search, but Danowski says his gut tells him they're not looking in the right place. "My gut feeling, she's not on this mountain."

"I have a person of interest that I've let the police know about, that we've had some unusual activity with this gentleman that she knows. This particular gentleman came over Saturday night and kind of said, 'Hey she's missing,' and I look at my other roommate Lesley and I say, 'Well what do you mean she's missing? Wouldn't it be normal for you to ask somebody where she was? Have you seen her?"

Danowski told KIRO Radio's Ron & Don that police will question the man Wednesday. "I've alerted the police and they're going to question this gentleman tomorrow. I just don't have a good feeling about this whole thing."
    Searchers found their first clue Sunday when someone found a credit card receipt with Huether's name on it about four miles north of Bonneville Dam in the Table Mountain area.

Danowski is suspicious of the find saying it seems too great a distance for Huether to have set out on if she was just starting out for the hike at 3pm.

"I thought when I saw that receipt being found 7 miles up I thought this is completely-something was staged."
    I just don't think she would do this hike alone, do it at this time frame, at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, and not take her dog with her. I've never seen her hiking without her dog."
    http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=296337

much more at link including the radio interview audio!!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast