Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WA - Katherine Huether, 24, North Bonneville, 4 March 2010

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    Paul, thanks for that info on clackamas and damascas... I put them on the map I did

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...d87a780fd10da8
    This bee my opinion

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...d87a780fd10da8 here are the key area a little closer in
    This bee my opinion

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

He is probably worried he was caught on camera at the toll bridge.
    Thanks for the maps nursebeem.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

ron and don show links (two interviews I believe)

4/9 http://www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=295862&nid=108

4/10 http://www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=296337&nid=11
    This bee my opinion

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RLynne View Post
    I think he said "Powell's Book" receipt. http://www.powells.com/

Not having good feelings about this.
    AH, Ok.

Powell's is a HUGE bookstore (actually several physical stores) in Portland. It's a "destination." Been there many times. (Highly recommended if you are ever in Portland and are into books.)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulR For This Useful Post:

This bee my opinion

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    AH, Ok.

Powell's is a HUGE bookstore (actually several physical stores) in Portland. It's a "destination." Been there many times. (Highly recommended if you are ever in Portland and are into books.)
    Yup. When I visited Portland a few years back, it was on my must-see list. The place was *amazing* (I went to the main store, and was also staying down the road from one of the smaller ones).

From listening to the radio interview, I *think* what the roommate/landlord was saying is that the receipt was for a book on hiking, and that Katherine had marked/written on some pages. The mysterious Saturday night visitor at some point picked up the book while visiting Katherine's home, and now the roommates can't find the book. Really strange.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RLynne For This Useful Post:

AH, Ok.

yes, the receipt was for a book from that store... an actual receipt from the bookstore with her CC info/name on it found on the trail more miles away than she could have hiked between 3pm (when she started out) and dark.

I find it highly suspicious that the last phone and text contact was with this "male person" and that the first words out of his mouth were "she is missing". And than he goes on to say they had dinner plans for that night. (her birthday night as well). He also told the roommates the "book" from the receipt was at the house. They turned it upside down and never found it. And when a friend confronted him about the book he got spooked and went into seclusion.

hinky.
    This bee my opinion

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Yup. When I visited Portland a few years back, it was on my must-see list. The place was *amazing* (I went to the main store, and was also staying down the road from one of the smaller ones).

From listening to the radio interview, I *think* what the roommate/landlord was saying is that the receipt was for a book on hiking, and that Katherine had marked/written on some pages. The mysterious Saturday night visitor at some point picked up the book while visiting Katherine's home, and now the roommates can't find the book. Really strange.
    I listened to this again, and I think that the book on the receipt and the hiking book were different books.

I think what the roommate found as odd is that he was trying to point them towards trails she had marked in her book and in areas away from where he most likely did something to her. He than went on to tell them she was in the clackamas/damascas area which I noted on the map. When asked if he knew where this receipt book was he admitted knowledge of it... and says it is at the house. Depends on the date of the receipt... but it seems like tracks covering to me... I wonder when she was last seen or heard from by anyone other than "male person"?

This "male person" was all over the board acting suspicious as all get out. I hope they can get him to tell the truth.
    Last edited by nursebeeme; 03-11-2010 at 12:08 AM.
    This bee my opinion

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.109434&z=14

I added lake gillette to the map as it was searched by divers. I also noted on that map that it would be very easy access to take a car up the roads to that area where the receipt was found and I marked a route that would cross the toll bridge that "male person" had an interest in knowing about the cameras and who "worked there"

link to the search of lake gillette:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outp...ing-hiker.html
    This bee my opinion

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
    yes, the receipt was for a book from that store... an actual receipt from the bookstore with her CC info/name on it found on the trail more miles away than she could have hiked between 3pm (when she started out) and dark.
    Hold on... she went hiking on Thursday afternoon/evening. Receipt wasn't found until Sunday. So she could have easily hiked to the spot where the receipt was placed.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulR For This Useful Post:

Nursebeeme, I think you're right on the books/receipt. My bad.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to RLynne For This Useful Post:

Hold on... she went hiking on Thursday afternoon/evening. Receipt wasn't found until Sunday. So she could have easily hiked to the spot where the receipt was placed.
    that could be the case... but could you see her, all by herself, never hiked that trail let alone never went without her phone or dog, continuing to hike away from her car thru Sunday when it was so out of character? They also said that she couldn't have gotten that far (where receipt was found) between 3pm and dark... so what she sleeps out in the cold and than gets up and continues to hike further up table mountain instead of going back toward the car? I don't know... I just don't see her doing that... but it is just moo. (coupled with the very strange behavior of the "male")
    This bee my opinion

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Nursebeeme, I think you're right on the books/receipt. My bad.
    dude... it took me two times rewinding to understand that landlord he was talking so fast! Not to mention I thought he was saying power book.. LOL...

I bet we see an official POI in the coming days.
    This bee my opinion

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

I think there was foul play. That being said...

that could be the case... but could you see her, all by herself, never hiked that trail let alone never went without her phone or dog, continuing to hike away from her car thru Sunday when it was so out of character?
    If she got lost, not out of character at all. Once people get lost, it's very hard for them to get themselves "unlost" thus SAR and all the hard work they do.

No dog? Dunno. Did she "always" always take the dog, or always "most of the time" take the dog? Cell? *shrug*

They also said that she couldn't have gotten that far (where receipt was found) between 3pm and dark... so what she sleeps out in the cold and than gets up and continues to hike further up table mountain instead of going back toward the car? I don't know... I just don't see her doing that... but it is just moo. (coupled with the very strange behavior of the "male")
    No way she dropped it off that night. But IF she slept out in the cold, and didn't have any food - she's going to be disoriented and not in good mental shape, and make poor decisions. Like picking the wrong way to hike.

The behavior of the male, though... either this will be an open-and-shut case and the DA will be able to sleep through the trial and still get him for murder, or he's just a pure nutbar. Guess what table I am betting

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulR For This Useful Post:

I think there was foul play. That being said...

If she got lost, not out of character at all. Once people get lost, it's very hard for them to get themselves "unlost" thus SAR and all the hard work they do.

No dog? Dunno. Did she "always" always take the dog, or always "most of the time" take the dog? Cell? *shrug*

No way she dropped it off that night. But IF she slept out in the cold, and didn't have any food - she's going to be disoriented and not in good mental shape, and make poor decisions. Like picking the wrong way to hike.

The behavior of the male, though... either this will be an open-and-shut case and the DA will be able to sleep through the trial and still get him for murder, or he's just a pure nutbar. Guess what table I am betting
    I am with you on foul play, nutbar, and open and shut case (that is if they can prove it and if he gives up information).

Conversely, after listening to the interview with her landlord and friend several times I find the whole late day hike in winter and on her birthday (when most college kids would be doing things with friends) highly out of character and highly doubtful. I also find, with her being an avid outdoorswoman as attested to by her father, that she would go on a late hike in winter into an area she had never hiked,without her cell phone at the least (and that is not even to add without her dog which her friends say she always took with her).

Sure, she could be lost. But I am not sitting so well in that camp right now. moo
    This bee my opinion

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

that could be the case... but could you see her, all by herself, never hiked that trail let alone never went without her phone or dog, continuing to hike away from her car thru Sunday when it was so out of character? They also said that she couldn't have gotten that far (where receipt was found) between 3pm and dark... so what she sleeps out in the cold and than gets up and continues to hike further up table mountain instead of going back toward the car? I don't know... I just don't see her doing that... but it is just moo. (coupled with the very strange behavior of the "male")
    Nope. Not logical at all. Someone has hurt her and I believe LE knows exactly who.
    ~~~Cynical Optimist~~~

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fairy1 For This Useful Post:

Skamania County Undersheriff Dave Cox says a multi-day search for a Portland hiker missing near Bonneville Dam has been suspended.
    Cox made the announcement late Wednesday afternoon after about 45 ground searchers, two dog teams, two horse teams and a Coast Guard helicopter had searched through another day. Cox says Wednesday's effort was designed to ensure that probable areas as well as some spots outside the main search area were covered.
    Sgt. Jay Johnston says the sheriff's office will continue to evaluate any new information on the disappearance of 24-year-old Kathrine Huether. She texted a friend last Thursday to say she was at a trailhead
    http://www.tdn.com/news/article_d123...cc4c03286.html

kind of interesting the search was called off on the same day the "male person" was allegedly interviewed and that they also mention the text message.... which was actually sent to him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he sent the text message to himself from her phone. If there was foul play, this was his biggest mistake... not putting the phone in her backpack. (and a further mistake if she didn't have a backpack on... what avid hiker goes anywhere without one... )..

I guess we will see what is to come of this. I really hope she is found safe and sound but I really have a huge, bad feeling.
    This bee my opinion

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Her car was found about 1 a.m. Friday by a Skamania County deputy at the trailhead north of Bonneville Dam in the Columbia River Gorge.

She was first reported missing on Saturday and large-scale searches began Sunday morning.

Despite reports of a flasher in the area Thursday, foul play is not suspected, but the reports are being investigated by sheriff’s detectives nonetheless, said Undersheriff Dave Cox.

The last clue came Sunday when a receipt bearing Huether’s name was found near Table Mountain.

The area started becoming colder on Monday, with a dusting of snow Tuesday morning.

Officials said they don’t know whether Huether took a coat or jacket, but said she’s believed to have left with a backpack, its contents unknown.
    http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/m...-unsuccessful/
    This bee my opinion

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

updated map with the lake bonneville dam trailhead location where her car was found at 1 am on friday as well as added some other linked information

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...1,0.00684&z=18
    This bee my opinion

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

I may have a trail map of the area. Hold on...

OK, so I've marked where Table Mountain is, where the car was found, and the lake that they searched. The red trail is the Pacific Crest Trail where the receipt was found.

This trail map comes from Switchbacks and is user-contributed, which is why there's no marking of the "trail" that connects where the car was found to the PCT. (Basically nobody has gone there with a GPS yet.) You can kind of see it on the satellite images through the trees, though.

Blue Lake may be a bit of a logging road; it's not on my main Garmin road map, but it IS on the topo map. That usually means Forest Road.
    Last edited by PaulR; 03-11-2010 at 02:30 AM. Reason: receipt!

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulR For This Useful Post:

I might be wrong but this whole thing seems hinky. I really hope I am wrong but I don't think she left her car ther or texted anyone. I think whoever put her car there was the same person that texted the message and left the phone in the car. I really wish she would turn up okay.
    The best advice I give to my children: Tell the truth - whether you like it or not.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to LotsaLatte For This Useful Post:

This bee my opinion

this article has some more times in it:

About 1 a.m. Friday, a Skamania County deputy found her car -- with her cell phone inside -- at the trailhead at the Bonneville Dam. About 2 p.m. Sunday a hiker found a credit card receipt with Huether's name on it near Table Mountain
    "A blue backpack she owned was not in the car or at her residence so we're hoping she had it with her and there are enough supplies to help her survive six days," said Cox.

Read more: http://dailyme.com/story/20100311000...#ixzz0hsltSM4Z
    This bee my opinion

47. The Following User Says Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast