GUILTY KY - Ashley Cox, 20, charged in death of newborn, La Grange, 7 March 2010

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
I've been watching this story since it broke....I just read today how this baby died....heartbreaking. :(

LA GRANGE, KY (WAVE) - The Corbin, KY woman accused of killing her newborn baby inside a men's prison in Oldham County on Sunday was in court Wednesday morning.

A not guilty plea was entered for Ashley Cox and she was appointed a public defender.

Cox, 20, is charged with murder and concealing the birth of an infant. Authorities say she gave birth to a baby girl and then hid her in a trash bin at the Rhoederer Correctional Complex in La Grange.

An arrest citation accuses Cox of stuffing toilet paper into the baby girl's mouth until she stopped breathing.

more here

http://www.wave3.com/global/story.asp?s=12117424

===================================

A 20-year-old Corbin woman has been charged with murder after she gave birth to a baby girl in a visitors' restroom at a state prison in La Grange on Sunday and hid the baby in a trash bin, police said. The baby was found dead hours later.

Kentucky State Police arrested Ashley Nicole Cox on Monday and charged her with first-degree murder and concealing the birth of an infant. Cox was being held at the Oldham County Jail.

Preliminary autopsy results show her baby was alive and healthy when she was born at the Roederer Correctional Complex, police said. The cause of death has not been determined.

According to an arrest citation, Cox is accused of forcing toilet paper into the baby's mouth until it was unable to breathe.

Cox was visiting inmate Justin Bell, 21, at the medium-security men's prison Sunday morning when she went to the bathroom near the visiting room, according to state police and Lisa Lamb, spokeswoman for the Kentucky Department of Corrections.

Cox had arrived about 8:45 a.m. with two other people, and after passing through security entered the visiting room about 10 a.m., Lamb said. It was not apparent that Cox was in labor when she went to the single-stall restroom about 10:55 a.m., Lamb said.

“No one heard anything,” she said. “But when the staff noticed that she'd been in there too long, they knocked on the door, got her to open the door and saw the blood.”

She said the staff reported that Cox had been in the restroom for 10 to 12 minutes.

Lamb said she's not sure what explanation Cox gave, but she did not tell the staff she'd given birth.

“At no time did Cox indicate she was in distress, call out for help, or try and obtain help while at the prison,” Lamb said.

more here

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/201003081615/ZONE09/3080329

I've been watching this story since it broke....I just read today how this baby died....heartbreaking. :(

LA GRANGE, KY (WAVE) - The Corbin, KY woman accused of killing her newborn baby inside a men's prison in Oldham County on Sunday was in court Wednesday morning.

A not guilty plea was entered for Ashley Cox and she was appointed a public defender.

Cox, 20, is charged with murder and concealing the birth of an infant. Authorities say she gave birth to a baby girl and then hid her in a trash bin at the Rhoederer Correctional Complex in La Grange.

An arrest citation accuses Cox of stuffing toilet paper into the baby girl's mouth until she stopped breathing.

more here

http://www.wave3.com/global/story.asp?s=12117424

===================================

A 20-year-old Corbin woman has been charged with murder after she gave birth to a baby girl in a visitors' restroom at a state prison in La Grange on Sunday and hid the baby in a trash bin, police said. The baby was found dead hours later.

Kentucky State Police arrested Ashley Nicole Cox on Monday and charged her with first-degree murder and concealing the birth of an infant. Cox was being held at the Oldham County Jail.

Preliminary autopsy results show her baby was alive and healthy when she was born at the Roederer Correctional Complex, police said. The cause of death has not been determined.

According to an arrest citation, Cox is accused of forcing toilet paper into the baby's mouth until it was unable to breathe.

Cox was visiting inmate Justin Bell, 21, at the medium-security men's prison Sunday morning when she went to the bathroom near the visiting room, according to state police and Lisa Lamb, spokeswoman for the Kentucky Department of Corrections.

Cox had arrived about 8:45 a.m. with two other people, and after passing through security entered the visiting room about 10 a.m., Lamb said. It was not apparent that Cox was in labor when she went to the single-stall restroom about 10:55 a.m., Lamb said.

“No one heard anything,” she said. “But when the staff noticed that she'd been in there too long, they knocked on the door, got her to open the door and saw the blood.”

She said the staff reported that Cox had been in the restroom for 10 to 12 minutes.

Lamb said she's not sure what explanation Cox gave, but she did not tell the staff she'd given birth.

“At no time did Cox indicate she was in distress, call out for help, or try and obtain help while at the prison,” Lamb said.

more here

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/201003081615/ZONE09/3080329

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

it must take a cold hearted evil to sit there and stuff toilet paper down your baby's throat till she either suffocates or chokes

It never ends. Everytime we thought we've heard it all, you get something like "Stuffed toilet paper in the baby's mouth until she stopped breathing."

i'm glad that this woman at least didn't get away with it, but I can't believe that prison officials didn't nail her right then. They said they found the baby several hours later...if they had started a search right then, I wonder if there would have been time to save her. Likely not, but I'll always wonder.

Oh dear God. How could anyone be so viciously cold hearted. All those people around who would have taken the baby. Giving her to a prison guard probably would have fallen under the safe haven laws.

Rest in peace, sweet precious baby girl. I'm sorry you never got a chance to feel loved.

Wonder what was said to Justin Bell in her visit with him? Will they look at any recordings made of that visit?

she probably said something like 'im about to take care of our little problem' :(

Heartbreaking! I have such a heavy heart after reading this. TWA little one.

This breaks my heart and is beyond sick and evil. :furious:

JMO

This so sad. A baby is never trash! I understand that this young woman perhaps found herself in a difficult situation. Perhaps no money, boyfriend in prison. Maybe she didn't want the boyfriend to know because he wasn't the father. He could of done the "math".

I guess we won't know why and even if we did it doesn't change the reality that an innocent child had toliet paper stuffed in her mouth so she was silenced before she even had a voice!

RIP Baby Girl :rose:

http://www.wlky.com/news/24109274/detail.html She had court today, video included

OLDHAM COUNTY, Ky. --
A woman accused of giving birth in a prison bathroom, suffocating the child and dumping her body in a garbage can was back in an Oldham County court Thursday morning.

Police said Ashley Cox was pregnant when she went to visit a boyfriend at the Roederer Correctional Facility in Oldham County in March.

Court documents said while she was there, Cox went into a lobby restroom, gave birth to the baby girl, stuffed toilet paper in her mouth and suffocated her.

Documents said she then placed the lifeless child into a garbage can and left.

Police later described that bathroom as a slaughter house.

What did they think happened??? The period from hell?????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back