2010 Hurricane Season will be More Active, Accuweather's Joe Bastardi Predicts

Dark Knight

Reaction score
AccuWeather.com Hurricane Center meteorologists, led by Chief Long-Range Meteorologist and Hurricane Forecaster Joe Bastardi, have released their early hurricane season forecast for the Atlantic Basin for 2010.

The forecast is calling for a much more active 2010 season with above-normal threats on the U.S. coastline.

Much more info at the link:

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/25984/joe-bastardi-more-active-2010-1.asp

I really hope they are as wrong this year as they were last year. Forecasts for last year were really scarey. It was a quiet year.
As a Louisianian, I'll be watching close and praying for a safe hurricane season for everyone.

I really hope they are as wrong this year as they were last year. Forecasts for last year were really scarey. It was a quiet year.
As a Louisianian, I'll be watching close and praying for a safe hurricane season for everyone.

I think Accuweather's was closer to realty, last year, compared to the government and university predictions. The last couple seasons have been rather quiet, compared to the years prior, which were insane, and no where near as bad as those forecasts. The government has not released their forecast for 2010 yet, I don't think, nor have some of the university professors that people often follow. I tend to trust Accuweather a bit more, but we'll see.

At least New Orleans finally has a new mayor, so if another hurricane hits, the response might actually resemble competence, lol. :crazy:

I think Accuweather's was closer to realty, last year, compared to the government and university predictions. The last couple seasons have been rather quiet, compared to the years prior, which were insane, and no where near as bad as those forecasts. The government has not released their forecast for 2010 yet, I don't think, nor have some of the university professors that people often follow. I tend to trust Accuweather a bit more, but we'll see.

At least New Orleans finally has a new mayor, so if another hurricane hits, the response might actually resemble competence, lol. :crazy:

Oh, maybe I was mistaken on who said it last year. I just remember what an active season was called for and didn't happen.

Thanks for clearing that up. But, I still hope they are wrong. :crazy:

BTW: I agree on the mayor comment. Louisiana also has a different governor too. So, there's hope.

A hurricane will hit the NC coast, let me tell you why-

I haven't had decent bedroom furniture in years, because I live on the ground floor on a barrier island. We had four feet of sound during Fran.

I now have a beautiful bedroom set. Which, will be moved up when a hurricane threatens.

I live on pins and needles all hurricane season.

I haven't had decent bedroom furniture in years, because I live on the ground floor on a barrier island. We had four feet of sound during Fran.

I now have a beautiful bedroom set. Which, will be moved up when a hurricane threatens.

Maybe you should update your homeowners insurance before the cut off date.

Colorado State forecasters seem to agree with Accuweather, as they are also calling for an extreme hurricane season:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100407/us_nm/us_storm_hurricanes_forecast

MIAMI (Reuters) – The 2010 Atlantic hurricane season will produce an above-average eight hurricanes, four of them major, posing a heightened threat to the U.S. coastline, the Colorado State University hurricane forecasting team predicted on Wednesday.

In its second forecast in four months for the 2010 season, the leading storm research team founded by hurricane forecast pioneer William Gray said the six-month season beginning on June 1 would likely see 15 named tropical storms.

LOL zelmajane, I know how you feel. I live on pins & needles all season too and the weather channel's tropical update is checked daily! Was it 96 or 97 when Fran hit, preceded by Bertha the previous month? Then Floyd came along in 98 with devastating rains. I wonder if those years were 'el nino' years?

Good luck with your new bedroom set....and enjoy!

wm

I'm not convinced yet. We have had an unusually cold winter here on the MS coast, even had some snow (wowza). Typically, a colder winter=calmer hurricane season.
My house is 3 years old, the one identical to it down the road (FINALLY) sold this january for about 60% less than what we paid in 2007...oh and it's already falling apart....no hurricanes are coming, that would be entirely too convenient.

And now the U.S. Government official hurricane forecast agrees with the other forecasters:

Government warns of worst hurricane season since 2005

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Atlantic storm season may be the most intense since 2005, when Hurricane Katrina killed over a thousand people after crashing through Gulf of Mexico energy facilities, the U.S. government's top climate agency predicted on Thursday.

Other U.S. weather forecasters, including private and university researchers, also are predicting an active hurricane season.
Private forecaster WSI and Colorado State University's hurricane-forecasting team so far expect the 2010 Atlantic hurricane season to produce at least eight hurricanes, four of them major, posing a heightened threat to the U.S. coastline.

CSU forecasters are expected to ramp up their prediction for the 2010 season in a report due out on June 2.

"The numbers are going to go up quite high," William Gray, the hurricane forecast pioneer who founded CSU's storm research team, said on Wednesday. "This looks like a hell of a year."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100527/us_nm/us_hurricane_forecast

Also at the link, it talks about the likelihood of hurricanes crossing the massive oil spill, which would be an added disaster.

Here we go again. I will get my hurricane stuff ready tomorrow. Hubby tends to follow Accuweather also.
Good news about the New Orleans mayor.

I'm relieved (along with a lot of other people, I'm sure) that you have a new mayor....thank God. It's terrifying to watch how those hurricanes devastate the coastline and surrounding areas...I have to admit I am glued to CNN and FOX news everytime they cover those storms. I'm sincerely praying for the best for you and everyone in your region.

Lovely. Last time the "big three" blew through I had no electricity for 3 weeks. Compound that with the fact that we're on a well...need a working pump to get water...and it was an all around bad experience. What worries me is how hot it is in Florida this early in the season. Warm air...warm water...nightmare scenario.

Lovely. Last time the "big three" blew through I had no electricity for 3 weeks. Compound that with the fact that we're on a well...need a working pump to get water...and it was an all around bad experience. What worries me is how hot it is in Florida this early in the season. Warm air...warm water...nightmare scenario.

It's been stifling here, too, in Mississippiana.

Katrina was hell--thank god we had water, but I am so spoiled by AC that I would go outside and think of things I needed to do just to run the truck's AC. We ran the generator in the evening to charge the freezer, but we didn't run the AC at all, to conserve gasoline.

Gustav left us without power for a couple of weeks, and that was tolerable...

But this year scares me, especially with all that oil in the Gulf. Praying that everything stays out of the Gulf this year, stormwise.

I wonder what a major hurricane will do to our coast with all that oil in the water?
Praying for my state and all the others.

Dreading hurricane season, as always...it never used to bother me until Katrina. Things changed overnight. I get anxious now when hurricane season rolls around.

I'm hoping it's a quiet season. It seems like we just got back on our feet, and now with the oil in gulf, threatening the local economy...another serious hurricane would be devastating for us.

Im keeping my eye on this..

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8274139

when Ike hit, we were with out power for 2 weeks, tho luckily we had a small gasoline gen that kept our deep freeze going..
other than that, it was candles, hot humid weather, and we los tour entire back fence..
after that, we bought a stand by natural gas gen, it runs the entire 2 story home and kicks on within 30 seconds.

Im ready for anything now..I think? lol

Im in houston, so keeping my eyes peeled on the weather..if it fizzles out, im at least hoping for some rain as we need it badly..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back