1081 users online (217 members and 864 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    42

    Gardner Broke Parole

    Records obtained by The Associated Press show that the man accused of Chelsea King's murder could have been sent back to prison for violating his parole.



    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...-87393437.html

    Source: Chelsea King Murder Suspect Broke Parole | NBC San Diego
    Last edited by JBean; 03-11-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: copyright

  2. #2
    Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Wise Old Owl is offline Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South FloriDUH
    Posts
    13,621
    and once again the Parole Division of the state of California seems to have "dropped the ball". Not to say this only happens in California - I'm sure it is going on all over this country.

    Writing and enacting laws are doing nothing to protect our children!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    I always thought the parole and probation systems were firly mechanical in CA. By that I mean there were certain consequences with each parole or probation violation. I don't think it is uncommon for a violation to not land you back in jail for an extended period of time on your first or second violation, but at some point all bets are off. I am wondering how unusual it is for a parolee to violate and not end up doing serious time for it.

    The article says that he could have been evaluated, but in reality, according to Jessica's law he should have been evaluated before relase anyway. So, imo there is no reason to think this evaluation would have yielded any different results by locking him up.

    This is a core flaw in the CA system that must be addressed as a whole and not in pieces and parts.
    Last edited by JBean; 03-11-2010 at 07:55 PM.

  4. #4
    Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Wise Old Owl is offline Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South FloriDUH
    Posts
    13,621
    JBean - I don't think its just California. Here, in South Florida, the local newspaper "outed" a homeless man in a downtown park. Seems he was a convicted child rapist and murderer. He was sentenced to 30 yrs - did 15 and they let him out. His crime was in IL or IN (I don't remember) but when he got out he came down here. He was arrested and jailed in Miami for failing to register - but that was for only 30 days or so - then back on the streets and he was in our downtown park!!! Even the local PD didn't know about this guy.

    So what did they do? Well, seems he was a veteran - so they got this guy a bed in one of the local VA hospitals!!!

    There is a thread about it in crimes in the news.

    Why are RSO's allowed to register as "transient"? Here, they can. I was going through some of the 597 that are within 5 miles of my home - and they just list cross streets of where they "hang out". Why why why?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,860
    I went to HS with a man (I use the term loosly) who ended up being convicted of a felony and subsequently had to register as a sex offender. He was promptly thrown back in jail in Orange County for 32 months for failing to register following a move of residence (approx. 10 years after getting out of jail on his original conviction) after he was stopped and cited for driving on a suspended license.

    Perhaps it varies by county however I would hope ALL counties would mandate jail on the first probation violations for sex offenders!
    Where is James Perryman? http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...james+perryman

    "Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain’t goin’ away! ~ Elvis Presley


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice4theSilent View Post
    I went to HS with a man (I use the term loosly) who ended up being convicted of a felony and subsequently had to register as a sex offender. He was promptly thrown back in jail in Orange County for 32 months for failing to register following a move of residence (approx. 10 years after getting out of jail on his original conviction) after he was stopped and cited for driving on a suspended license.

    Perhaps it varies by county however I would hope ALL counties would mandate jail on the first probation violations for sex offenders!
    Orange County where I live is tough. But they are letting out a controversial RSO today as a matter of fact.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    50
    exactly how close are they allowed to live within a school or park? because i know some RSOs live near my house within a mile i believe and there are three elementary schools near me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by PQgirly884 View Post
    exactly how close are they allowed to live within a school or park? because i know some RSOs live near my house within a mile i believe and there are three elementary schools near me.
    This is what I found for California:

    A sexually violent predator or a serious paroled sex offender cannot live within one-fourth of a mile of a school, and high-risk paroled sex offenders cannot live within one-half mile of a school, daycare center, or place where children congregate.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nothing to see here, move along...
    Posts
    7,966
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    Orange County where I live is tough. But they are letting out a controversial RSO today as a matter of fact.
    JBean, I think the case you're talking about released a statement saying that he will be kept in pending further federal charges...but I'm not sure. I heard something like that on KFI on my drive home from the hospital, but haven't checked it out.

    Regardless, your point remains unchanged - something needs to change, there is indeed a hole in the core system, and it must be plugged, and plugged tightly.

    Best-
    Herding Cats

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Herding Cats View Post
    JBean, I think the case you're talking about released a statement saying that he will be kept in pending further federal charges...but I'm not sure. I heard something like that on KFI on my drive home from the hospital, but haven't checked it out.

    Regardless, your point remains unchanged - something needs to change, there is indeed a hole in the core system, and it must be plugged, and plugged tightly.

    Best-
    Herding Cats
    Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas says convicted child molester George England, who was due to be released from prison Friday, will be immediately arrested on a warrant from Palm Beach, FL.

    http://kfi640.com/cc-common/mainhead...rticle=6868825


  11. #11
    Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Wise Old Owl is offline Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South FloriDUH
    Posts
    13,621
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas says convicted child molester George England, who was due to be released from prison Friday, will be immediately arrested on a warrant from Palm Beach, FL.

    http://kfi640.com/cc-common/mainhead...rticle=6868825
    quote from article:

    Prosecutors say during that time he continually raped the girl from Vietnam, getting her pregnant as many as eight times and even forcing her to have sex with animals.

    England could not be prosecuted for what happened with the Vietnamese girl because the statute if limitations had run out.

    He'll have served just over three years for molesting the other three girls.


    Three years? Man o man - I'm putting this guy on my radar because Palm Beach is the next county up from me. Wonder if he "has money" - will he be able to "bond out" once he gets here? We have had a rash of "wealthy" palm beach guys arrested for child porn, molestation and even rape - don't think too many of them are sitting in jail waiting their trial. Hope whatever they have on this guy here can keep him behind bars regardless of financial status - KWIM?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAG1959 View Post
    quote from article:

    Prosecutors say during that time he continually raped the girl from Vietnam, getting her pregnant as many as eight times and even forcing her to have sex with animals.

    England could not be prosecuted for what happened with the Vietnamese girl because the statute if limitations had run out.

    He'll have served just over three years for molesting the other three girls.


    Three years? Man o man - I'm putting this guy on my radar because Palm Beach is the next county up from me. Wonder if he "has money" - will he be able to "bond out" once he gets here? We have had a rash of "wealthy" palm beach guys arrested for child porn, molestation and even rape - don't think too many of them are sitting in jail waiting their trial. Hope whatever they have on this guy here can keep him behind bars regardless of financial status - KWIM?
    I heard an interview with the Viet namese gal today,ugh is all I can say.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAG1959 View Post
    quote from article:

    Prosecutors say during that time he continually raped the girl from Vietnam, getting her pregnant as many as eight times and even forcing her to have sex with animals.

    England could not be prosecuted for what happened with the Vietnamese girl because the statute if limitations had run out.

    He'll have served just over three years for molesting the other three girls.


    Three years? Man o man - I'm putting this guy on my radar because Palm Beach is the next county up from me. Wonder if he "has money" - will he be able to "bond out" once he gets here? We have had a rash of "wealthy" palm beach guys arrested for child porn, molestation and even rape - don't think too many of them are sitting in jail waiting their trial. Hope whatever they have on this guy here can keep him behind bars regardless of financial status - KWIM?
    I don't think he has any money. IMO life in jail is MUCH too nice a future for this SO.
    Where is James Perryman? http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...james+perryman

    "Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain’t goin’ away! ~ Elvis Presley


  14. #14
    Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Wise Old Owl is offline Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South FloriDUH
    Posts
    13,621
    Just came across this updated article about JAG and breaking parole. Don't know if anyone else has posted this yet - has more info than the first.

    APNewsBreak: Calif. murder suspect broke parole

    By DON THOMPSON, AP
    57 minutes ago

    The parole records show state officials found Gardner illegally living within a half-mile of a school in September 2007 and decided to keep him on parole. The records show at least five later violations, the last on Sept. 8, 2008, just 18 days before Gardner was let go from parole supervision and his location-tracking GPS bracelet removed from his ankle.

    Each time, the decision was "COP:" Continue on Parole.

    He wasn't sent back to prison in September 2007 because he corrected the residency violation by moving away from a college campus that had a day care center, Hidalgo said.

    He had six other technical violations — one more than shown in the records obtained by the AP, Hidalgo said.

    http://www.comcast.net/articles/news....Missing.Teen/

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by sungrl View Post
    This is what I found for California:

    A sexually violent predator or a serious paroled sex offender cannot live within one-fourth of a mile of a school, and high-risk paroled sex offenders cannot live within one-half mile of a school, daycare center, or place where children congregate.
    huh. Interesting. I live across the street from a private school and there's a sex offender in my apartment complex... I guess he's not high-risk then...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. I think I broke WS
    By redkatrampant in forum Forum Finesse
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 10:26 PM

Tags for this Thread