Recent Health News - Laundry & Germs

great article Bogey! We have 2 asthmatics and 2 allergy excemas in my crew! and that tally doesnt include the dogs, who suffer from their own allergy conditions. I'm pretty aggressive with my laundry, everything gets washed in hot, seperated loads of course. I also have the duet steam washer, which I really do think helps to cut down the allergens. What I never stopped to think of, was airing the washer out after I am done. An added step, but if helps my guys breathe easier, and not be itchy, I'm all for it. I was wondering what type of laundry soap you all use for allergy people? I used to be a fan of the purex free, but they dont make it in (he) so I have been using Tide (he) instead. I think seventh generation makes an (he) product, has anyone here used it?

So I should wash my loads in hot water? I've washed in cold for years, except for my whites.

I use cheap detergent, usually Arm and Hammer. Also, I'm either really good about my laundry, or it piles up. Right now it's piled up. Hopefully when I'm not working all day and having night rehearsals I can catch up.

great article Bogey! We have 2 asthmatics and 2 allergy excemas in my crew! and that tally doesnt include the dogs, who suffer from their own allergy conditions. I'm pretty aggressive with my laundry, everything gets washed in hot, seperated loads of course. I also have the duet steam washer, which I really do think helps to cut down the allergens. What I never stopped to think of, was airing the washer out after I am done. An added step, but if helps my guys breathe easier, and not be itchy, I'm all for it. I was wondering what type of laundry soap you all use for allergy people? I used to be a fan of the purex free, but they dont make it in (he) so I have been using Tide (he) instead. I think seventh generation makes an (he) product, has anyone here used it?

It's strange mimimama, I saw it on the 11pm news last night, and a few days prior, Mr. Bogey and I were talking about feeling itchy for a few days.

Now I realize that it probably was from a new scented detergent that I purchased last week.

In the article, it mentions using hot water and to wash undergarments separately from other clothes for sanitary reasons.

The dust mite part of the article was interesting too. Hard to get rid of!

Didn't do any wash today, have to go get unscented laundry detergent - maybe it will get rid of our "itchiness".

I don't use hot for everything, but I do for most stuff. I didn't think about spreading bacteria from poop by washing the underwear with other things. Usually, the socks and underwear go in all together. I may have to change that.
I do at least two loads a day (no, I'm not exaggerating) so that's a lot of potential bacteria. Eew.
Laundry procedure is changing here as soon as I'm back on my feet.

Here is a detergent I bought today that is allergy free:

Also clear of perfumes and dyes and dermatologist recommended.

(Special thanks to Mr. Bogey-Son for teaching me how to insert a picture!)

al96ozfreeclear.gif

Line drying takes time, but is great for killing germs, saving money and helping clothes stay nice longer.

Line-drying?? Are they insane...?? That completely goes against the whole point of the article. Do they not know how much pollen, dust, particles, etc.. are floating around outside?? Also,,, I've tried line drying in the past and it turn my clothes into stiff sandpaper. It's the most uncomfortable thing ever and incredibly itchy on the skin. I like the idea in theory, but don't know how anyone can stand to do it.
As for washing everything in hot... uhh.. hello.. that will shrink many of your clothes as well as fade/ruin them faster. And doesn't the hot air in the dryer kill any mites or whatever is remaining, even if you wash in cold water?
I tend to think these kinds of articles are ridiculous.... so much fear-mongering over little stuff (and where is the scientific proof here of what they're saying?) and haven't millions of people for generations done laundry the way they say not to do it, and they lived a good long life and turned out just fine.....??
That being said, not buying stuff with perfumes/dyes seems like a no-brainer...

I've washed in cold water for years except for white socks, cotton underwear, and bedding plus I always leave the lid of the washer up so it will dry out. When I had bad mold allergies I would even dry it out after using it. A little muleteam borax in the wash can help with mold spores and I believe a few drops of some essential oil in the wash water can cut down on dust mites. A person would have to be careful with essential oils though since some of them can be poisonous if a kid gets into it. Plus, I wash our individual clothes in loads instead of mixing it all up together, so that cuts down on any bacteria from others.

I tried seventh generation once in the powder and didn't like it. It seemed too harsh and eventually all clumped together, so I just use the cheap kind and a very cheap unscented liquid fabric softener.

Line-drying?? Are they insane...?? That completely goes against the whole point of the article. Do they not know how much pollen, dust, particles, etc.. are floating around outside?? Also,,, I've tried line drying in the past and it turn my clothes into stiff sandpaper. It's the most uncomfortable thing ever and incredibly itchy on the skin. I like the idea in theory, but don't know how anyone can stand to do it.
As for washing everything in hot... uhh.. hello.. that will shrink many of your clothes as well as fade/ruin them faster. And doesn't the hot air in the dryer kill any mites or whatever is remaining, even if you wash in cold water?
I tend to think these kinds of articles are ridiculous.... so much fear-mongering over little stuff (and where is the scientific proof here of what they're saying?) and haven't millions of people for generations done laundry the way they say not to do it, and they lived a good long life and turned out just fine.....??
That being said, not buying stuff with perfumes/dyes seems like a no-brainer...

I can see what you mean about the pollen, dust, etc when line-drying. My grandma used to line-dry, though, and although the clothes were stiff briefly, once you shook them out they were fine. And they smelled so good! I was thinking of getting a line for my yard this summer, but I'm going to rethink now that you mention that about dust and pollen. We've got enough problems with allergies around here.

I only use cold water to wash, except for bath towels, washcloths, etc. I also only use scent and dye free detergent. But I wash socks and undies with other laundry if I need to and then they only get dried on low. Guess I've been doing it all wrong.

Personally I think we worry too much about germs. I know we should be clean but keeping ourselves incredibly germ free also keeps us from building immunity from those germs. Germs are a natural part of our environment and we should be able to live peacefully with them. That said, I use hand sanitizer about a gazillion times a day... lol.

Germs I can live with. My family has their share of viruses and bugs throughout the year, but nothing serious. It's the allergies that get us. We're seeing the first signs of spring at our house, and with that comes runny noses, sneezing, and all the other fun stuff pollen brings.

I've been looking online. Looks like it really isn't a good idea to hang clothes up outside if you have allergies. There are contraptions you can get to hang your clothes up inside, though.

I only use cold water to wash, except for bath towels, washcloths, etc. I also only use scent and dye free detergent. But I wash socks and undies with other laundry if I need to and then they only get dried on low. Guess I've been doing it all wrong.

Personally I think we worry too much about germs. I know we should be clean but keeping ourselves incredibly germ free also keeps us from building immunity from those germs. Germs are a natural part of our environment and we should be able to live peacefully with them. That said, I use hand sanitizer about a gazillion times a day... lol.

Germs ARE a natural part of our environment. AND our bodies do not develop the capability of RESISTING germs until IT HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO GERMS.

Some of the sickest kids I ever saw were those who had not been given the opportunity to develop normal antigens. Their mom was extremely over protective, they stayed inside all the time, they were the absolute CLEANEST kids I've ever seen! They ate only raw, whole foods. It sounded so goood on paper, but in reality those poor kids were always sick. They caught every thing that came down the pike because their bodies lacked the defense system needed to ward off viruses and bacteria.

Seriously, I don't want e-coli being spread around in my washer. But I really think that if we add even a tbsp of clorox to the wash, our panties and boxers will be germ free.

Also (and I hate to mention this, I am sorry in advance) the use/overuse of hand sanitizer is helping many bacteria to become resistant to treatment. And that is a bad, bad thing. I do use hand sanitizer, but only after changing a baby's diaper or handling raw meats/poultry. I guess I am contributing to the problem, but I don't trust that my hands get truly clean because I don't think I scrub up enough!

I wanted to add that if a person doesn't want to use bleach for whites as much the liquid bluing that comes in the little blue bottle works very well to makes things whiter.

Here is a detergent I bought today that is allergy free:

Also clear of perfumes and dyes and dermatologist recommended.

(Special thanks to Mr. Bogey-Son for teaching me how to insert a picture!)

al96ozfreeclear.gif

This is what I use also, bogeygal.

I always wash my bed linens in hot.

Once a week, I run the washer empty with hot water and bleach. My mother was a nurse and she taught me that about 40 years ago, LOL!

great advice everyone! I do agree with the germs and natural immunity thing. Kids touch about a million different things a day, I can't lysol the children lol. I do lysol beds, I have toddlers and they are a little yuckier than older children haha. But as far as sanitizing my washer, I do have a cycle on there for washing the washer, which I use weekly.thanks for the help on the 7th generation laundry soap, I can't use powder in my washer, it has to be liquid and it has to be the high efficiency kind or else...believe me I made that mistake, thinking the washer doesnt know the difference between he and non he, oh yes my sleuthy friends it does! On average, I do about 2 loads a day, sometimes more, very rarely less. My machines get a good workout for sure! I do hang the dogs bedding to line dry when I can, but thats all. Too much pollen and dust for the people. I also have discovered that a simple piece of cheescloth in your air returns for heating and cooling works wonders!!! just a side note to help the fellow allergy folks here

Plain white vinegar is a wonderful fabric softner. It actually removes the soap left over in your clothes, which is what makes them stiff. Fabric softners only cover the left over soap up. Plus, the vinegar is a disinfectant for both the clothes and the machine and if you don't use too much and add a couple of drops of essential oil, they smell nice too.

This is what I use also, bogeygal.

I always wash my bed linens in hot.

Once a week, I run the washer empty with hot water and bleach. My mother was a nurse and she taught me that about 40 years ago, LOL!

My mom taught me that, too! I always forget to do it, though.

I wanted to add that if a person doesn't want to use bleach for whites as much the liquid bluing that comes in the little blue bottle works very well to makes things whiter.

txsvicki,

Can you tell me the brand name of the liquid bluing? I can't use clorox or bleach in the wash because we have a septic system. When we bought this house, the inspector told us bleach was a no-no.

My white wash never comes out white, just a dingy white color. :frown:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back