UT - GOP leader's skinny-dip confession stuns Utah

Missizzy

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100312...5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNnb3BsZWFkZXJzc2s-

Very simply, the figures don't add up. If it was 25 years ago and he's now 55, he would have been 30 at the time of the incident. Next he states that he was 28 but can't "really remember". That would make her 13, instead of 15. Might be splitting hairs but not cool. In fact, mighty slimy.

GOP leader's skinny-dip confession stuns Utah

"A late-night confession by Utah's House majority leader about sitting nude in a hot tub with a minor 25 years ago has shocked this conservative state's political establishment but has not prompted calls from party leaders for him to resign.

Rep. Kevin Garn, 55, acknowledged the indiscretion late Thursday immediately after the Legislature adjourned for the session. He said he paid the woman, Cheryl Maher, now 40, $150,000 to keep quiet about the episode when he unsuccessfully ran for Congress in 2002.

"Although we did not have any sexual contact, it was still clearly inappropriate — and it was my fault," said Garn, of Layton.

Garn owns KSG Distributing Inc., which sells books on tape, CDs, DVDs and VHS tapes to retailers such as truck stops, grocery stores and convenience stores. Maher worked in his warehouse at the time....."

and

"The story unfolded because Maher, who now lives in Derry, N.H., began calling Salt Lake City news media in recent days to tell them about being naked with Garn when she was 15 years old. Maher said Thursday night he was 28 at the time but Friday said he couldn't really remember....."

more at link

I'm thinking he's thinking 28 and 15 don't sound nearly as bad as 30 and 13.

I've been pissed off about this all day. Who in their right mind applauds and gives a standing ovation to someone who makes a confession like this? Utah House Members that's who. Below is the latest. Thank god some up on the hill kinda find this disturbing but they still aren't getting this. Sympathy is probably warranted? Really?

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9987196

Kirk Jowers, executive director of the Hinckley Institute of Politics, was clearly troubled. "It was an inexcusable moment, whether it was 25 years ago or 25 minutes ago; and then with the hush money, it's a very difficult moment," Jowers said. "A lot of people are having a hard time with the standing ovation on the House floor. Sympathy is probably warranted, but cheering is not."

very convient timing with obama and his party disintegrating as they shove there manure down our throats without our consent that the opposing party's scandals are coming to light.........

we need a third party with a real leader, vote out all these jerks in november

very convient timing with obama and his party disintegrating as they shove there manure down our throats without our consent that the opposing party's scandals are coming to light.........

Actually it almost came out eight years ago and the Deseret News killed the story. A prominent paper in a republican state swept it under the rug on the eve of elections....just sayin. :)

like they swept barry's birth cetificate under the rug.

sick of all of them to be honest

Woman says she contacted church leaders about Garn
March 15th, 2010 @ 8:55am
By Andrew Adams

SALT LAKE CITY -- The woman at the heart of the scandal involving now-former Utah House Majority Leader Kevin Garn says she contacted ecclesiastical leaders "many times" about what happened in 1985.

Cheryl Maher, in a new statement sent to KSL Newsradio late Sunday night, says she was turned away by bishops from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"Many times over the past 25 years I have done my best to reach out to church leaders and release the shame of the past and every time I was once again silenced," Maher said. "I believe the Church holds a great deal of responsibility in this and if the proper accountability would have been given at the times of my reports then all of this could have been avoided."

The LDS Church confirms a letter from Maher was sent to the First Presidency in 2008, and it was referred to local ecclesiastical leaders. Church disciplinary matters are handled at a local level and not at Church headquarters, a statement said.

more here

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10017999/

Imagine that....a church coverup? turning a blind eye?

Doesn't sound like this is going away - for at least a little while, anyway.

Woman accuses politician of sexual abuse, claims LDS Church ignored her

Katy Carlyle, Reporter and Jared Preusz with Aaron Vaughn, Web Content Producers FOX 13 News
7:19 PM MDT, March 15, 2010

SALT LAKE CITY - The woman who claims she was sexually abused by a Utah lawmaker when she was 15 and he was 28 spoke with FOX 13 about the incident. 41-year-old Cheryl Maher says former Utah House Majority Leader, Rep. Kevin Garn, did more than just sit nude with her in a hot tub 25 years ago as he has claimed. Maher also says that when she notified LDS clergy of the past abuse in 2000, they ignored her.

Garn, a Republican from Layton, resigned from the Legislature Saturday, two days after acknowledging he paid $150,000 to Maher to keep quiet about the incident. Garn denied that there was any physical touching, admitting to his colleagues on the House floor that he went hot-tubbing with Maher.

"I didn't ever even mention the hot tub. He's the one that did," said Maher. "My statements to the press when it came out is that he sexually abused me."

Maher refuses to give any more details of the incident and said she is pleased with Garn's resignation.

more here

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-woman-accuses-garn-sexual-abuse-lds-ignore,0,6627682.story

And now let us meditate on these truths. A sweet and pretty 15 year old sure as heck wasn't 25 years ago and it's all her fault.

http://www.i4m.com/think/sexuality/mormon_sex_purity.htm

"Your virtue is worth more than your life. Please young folk, preserve your virtue even if you lose your lives. Do not tamper with sin . . . do not permit yourselves to be led into temptation. Conduct yourselves seemly and with due regard, particularly you young boys, to the sanctity of womanhood. Do not pollute it."

and

"...There is no true Latter-day Saint who would not rather bury a son or daughter than to have him or her lose his or her chastity -- realizing that chastity is of more value than anything else in all the world."

and

"Also far-reaching is the effect of loss of chastity. Once given or taken or stolen it can never be regained. Even in forced contact such as rape or incest, the injured one is greatly outraged. If she has not cooperated and contributed to the foul deed, she is of course in a more favorable position. There is no condemnation where there is absolutely no voluntary participation. It is better to die in defending one's virtue than to live having lost it without a struggle."

and

"At some point in time, however, the Lord may prompt a victim to recognize a degree of responsibility for abuse."

Maher said she went to local LDS leaders for help, but was told to go back to her husband and keep quiet. Maher sent a letter to the LDS Church in 2008 explaining both incidents of alleged abuse.

Church disciplinary matters are handled at a local level and not at Church headquarters. The Church will continue to follow this matter to determine if any further action is appropriate."

This church continually passes the buck regarding sexual abuse allegations. I would think it is time for them to quit saying it is handled locally and make a new policy. This type of allegation is not going away. It is time for them to clean house.

The Mormon Church never reported it to the police too.

Garn is worth somewhere between 20 and 93 million dollars.

But a week ago, Maher began sending e-mails to state legislators and reporters laying out her allegations. In an interview with The Salt Lake Tribune , a shaken Garn admitted her story was essentially true. With the news about to break, Garn made an emotional statement from the House floor Thursday night, with his wife by his side, apologizing to his colleagues and constituents.

"I expect to suffer public humiliation and embarrassment, but I also want you to know that I cannot allow one foolish mistake to continue to shadow my life," he said. "At this point, I would rather be open and honest about this than continue to live in fear. Some lessons are hard to learn. This is something I should have done back in 2002. But I was scared. I did not want to be publicly judged by one of my life's worst decisions."

His statement drew a standing ovation from his House colleagues, many of whom lined up to console Garn and his wife.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14670240

What a strong and humble man to stand up and confess when the writing is on the wall, or in this case, the calls from the victim are pouring in. A standing ovation from his colleagues??? Each and every one of those men and women should hang their heads in shame. Yes, let's leap to our feet and applaud a man who just confessed to sexual improprieties with a young teen. I, for one, would like an accounting of every single representative who stayed seated so that I could write them a letter of appreciation for understanding the gravity of the situation.

And Gov. Herbert should be censured for his comments about this being "unfortunate". My Lord...."unfortunate'? What about the woman, who has obviously struggled with this incident for years? She was rebuffed over and over and received no true closure other than a standing ovation for her abuser. The fact that she was given hush money tells me just how wrong this man knew his actions were. Let me guess, she was a "temptress" and must now accept her guilt. GRRRRRRR.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14670240?source=rss

"His statement [ETA: his confession on 3/11] drew a standing ovation from his House colleagues, many of whom lined up to console Garn and his wife.

Gov. Gary Herbert said Garn's resignation should not overshadow the good work accomplished by the Legislature.

"The situation is unfortunate, and the governor wishes the best for Representative Garn and his family during what is undoubtedly a difficult time."

I am sorry-why are we PROUD of this dude? That would be like giving Polanski a standing ovation....

Is there any way we can have the heading on this thread changed to represent the fact that this was far more than a "skinny-dip"?

I have missed something here ... please give me the link where he and she said there was more to it than skinny dipping. tia

What we need are more women politicians, I suppose.

Is there any way we can have the heading on this thread changed to represent the fact that this was far more than a "skinny-dip"?

Have you found more specifics on this as far as what Garn said about the hot-tub incident (other than he was skinny-dipping in a hot tub)...like where the hot tub was, what time of day or nite?

I ask because I just read this:

"Then there was a day when he took me to Salt Lake, and he stopped and got alcohol, and we ended up at this hot-tub place on State Street. I was scared. I said, 'I don't have a suit.' He said, 'You don't need one,' " Maher wrote.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...vin-Garn-lied-about-hot-tub-contact.html?pg=1

Years ago in Austin there were "hot tub places"...not the kind of place that 15yo girls would legally be allowed.

The whole situation stinks tho - no matter where the hot-tub happened to be.

I actually remember those hot tub places in Austin, TM, in the mid 80s (that's the time frame for this incident too). There was a scandal in Liberty Hill where a man used to meet up with his underage girlfriend down in Austin at one. He'd rent the room and then sneak her in. So, it could be certainly have been a place like that. I think those got shut down during the AIDS crisis. That was also the demise of the bath-houses in the Castro.

It doesn't sound like Ms. Maher is willing to discuss the specifics of the abuse and that's her choice. It does seem to be far more than skinny-dipping, though. Personally, I don't think that "skinny-dipping" can be innocent when you have an adult male and a minor female in a private context. You add alcohol and you have even more problems.

I wonder what happens with the SOL when a report has been formally made to clergy well within the time limit? I wonder if Garn might be able to be prosecuted?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phernandez22
Back