1059 users online (229 members and 830 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

KS - Karina Perez, 3 mos, killed with hair dryer, Hutchinson, 23 Feb 2010

Hutchinson Mother Arrested For Death Of 3-Month-Old
    Eighteen-year-old Brigit L. Hippen of Hutchinson is arrested for Involuntary manslaughter for the death of her 3-month-old daughter.
    Posted: 8:56 PM Mar 12, 2010

Shortly after 8:00 p.m., Friday, March 12, 2010, 18-year-old Brigit L. Hippen of Hutchinson was arrested for Involuntary manslaughter for the death of her 3-month-old daughter. Her bond has been set at $25,000.

snip

It is alleged that on February 23, 2010, Brigit Hippen unintentionally killed her 3-month-old daughter, Karina Perez, in a reckless manner. The child died from hypothermia and thermal injuries which investigators believe were caused by a handheld blow dryer.

http://www.kake.com/news/headlines/87537637.html

Article says they were "unintentional" injuries?!? Please, please don't tell me she tried to blow dry babys hair or something.
    Last edited by roller26; 03-13-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roller26 View Post
    Article says they were "unintentional" injuries?!? Please, please don't tell me she tried to blow dry babys hair or something.
    I'm guessing there wasn't heat in the home.

It's alleged that on February 23, Brigit Hippen unintentionally killed her 3-month-old daughter, Karina Perez, in a reckless manner.

Schroeder says the child died from hypothermia and thermal injuries which investigators believe were caused by a hand held blow dryer. We had been told earlier that the blow dryer may have been placed under a blanket thinking the baby may be cold.

http://www.hutchinsonscountrystation...&news_id=18790

RIP, baby girl
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

Sure would like to know. I was told the baby was left in the car cause she was crying (not sure this is accurate, though). When the mom went out to get the baby ( in extremely cold temps ), hypothermia was present and she tried to warm it with a blow dryer. It is hard to believe they had no heat as the cold weather rule would have applied with the utility company unable to turn off heat for nonpayment.
    Last edited by dennall; 03-13-2010 at 02:43 PM.

so what drugs was she on?

I have a feeling this one didn't need drugs. Sounds like she had no plans to kill baby, only to warm her or dry her. And no one told her that hairdryers are way too hot for babies. MOO. Just from the articles.

Or she neglected her and overcorrected.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

just seems odd the baby died from both hypothermia and thermal injuries

contributing causes.

Quote Originally Posted by dennall View Post
    just seems odd the baby died from both hypothermia and thermal injuries
    I agree. Hypothermia tells me the baby got too cold first.

she was suffering from hypothermia, so sherlock holmes the mom put a damn blow dryer under her blanket. stupid idiot

mikeysmommom is offline "A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty...."
    Sorry not buying it.Even a child knows if you keep a hair dyer in one spot for more then a few seconds it starts to burn you.I think she was either high as kite or she picked a horrible way to abuse her child.Involuntary Manslaughter is a joke in my eyes her actions caused this baby a horrible death.RIP baby Karina
    I Love You MOM 6/16/32 - 5/30/09

Justice for Travis 5/8/13

Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to Life - Sentenced 6/17/11

Justice Denied for Caylee Marie Anthony
    July 5,2011

Sure would like to know. I was told the baby was left in the car cause she was crying (not sure this is accurate, though). When the mom went out to get the baby ( in extremely cold temps ), hypothermia was present and she tried to warm it with a blow dryer. It is hard to believe they had no heat as the cold weather rule would have applied with the utility company unable to turn off heat for nonpayment.
    This sounds highly possible. Don't if that's just bc i can't fathom someone doing this intentionally to a baby. Either way, its terribly sad.

It is hard to believe they had no heat as the cold weather rule would have applied with the utility company unable to turn off heat for nonpayment.
    Not in Philly. They'll shut you off in a heartbeat. We constantly hear of people burned alive because of a space heater when they had to use plain old Dollar Store extensions. Ineviatably some poor elderly soul dies because they were heating their home with their oven. You could be on your freakin death bed and if you didn't pay up you're shut off.

Of course there's assistance to "low income", but if you don't meet that requirement say by $35.00 you're not geting help. I feel so bad for the elderly who worked their entire lives and now survive on Dollar Store food and heat their homes with those crappy space heaters.

That's not the issue here I know. This is an 18 year old MAYBE trying to keep a baby warm. Maybe.

BTW, we all do stupid things that can be dangerous. I was 29 years old and did something profoundly stupid. My DD had colic. I tried everything. Took all the advice older people gave me. That included putting her seat on a turned on dryer. Of course I was there and the dryer don't get hot on the outside. No doing. Then I did this *******put on the vacumn and let it run*********. Well I put her in the crib. Turned onn the vacumn and ran in to get washed. Not a shower which I didn't have in three days, but just brush my teeth and wash my face. I come back in and the freakin vacumn burned a hole in the nursery rug.

Sorry for the long post. I pray this girl and I do believe at 18 you're still a girl in a sense. I pray all she was doing was trying to keep her baby warm. A hot water bottle would be the better option, but no doubt she's so stretched she couldn't afford one.

Just a quick note on the cold weather rule mentioned above. In PA, the PaPUC did away with cold weather rule. We can be shut off for non-payment at any time. It used to be that a utility could not shut off a customer between October 1 and April 1. Like Filly said, we do have several programs available for low income residents but a) you have to know about them in order to apply and b) the guidelines are very strict on who qualifies.

Quote Originally Posted by TrishyPA View Post
    Just a quick note on the cold weather rule mentioned above. In PA, the PaPUC did away with cold weather rule. We can be shut off for non-payment at any time. It used to be that a utility could not shut off a customer between October 1 and April 1. Like Filly said, we do have several programs available for low income residents but a) you have to know about them in order to apply and b) the guidelines are very strict on who qualifies.
    And there's always the possibility of a malfunctioning furnace/boiler that a landlord is slow to fix. A friend of mine had this problem this winter, for the second winter in the row. Her apartment was about 50 degrees, and it took 4 days for the landlord to fix it...then she had the same problem a month later.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast