1213 users online (272 members and 941 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

PA - Chester Co., WhtMale 1280UMPA, 20-30, Nov'68 - Robert Corriveau

Please note: I included a pic of a marine in uniform (standing beside jeep) but he is not related to case, I just wanted to show full uniform)

The Doe Network:
    Case File 1280UMPA
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1280umpa.html

Unidentified White Male

•The victim was discovered on November 18, 1968 near Downingtown, Chester County, Pennsylvania
    •Estimated Date of Death: 12-24 hours prior
    •Cause of Death: Single stab wound to the chest
    •State of Remains: Recognizable Face

Vital Statistics
    •Estimated age: 20-30 years old
    •Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"; 160 lbs.
    •Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark brown hair; green or hazel eyes.
    •Tattoos: On the right upper arm, a bulldog wearing a helmet with the letters USMC underneath. On the left forearm was a "bird in flight".
    •Clothing: Rust colored sweater, brown plaid pants, brown shoes with buckles. He was covered with a dark blue navy pea jacket.
    •DNA: Not Available
    •Fingerprints: Available

Case History
    On Monday, November 18, 1968, at 10:55 a.m., a Pennsylvania State Trooper spotted a man in a semi sitting position on the side of the highway, about a mile east of the Downingtown interchange. The trooper stopped to check on the man and found that he was dead.
    There was no identification and no signs of a struggle.
    The FBI studied fingerprints in an effort to identify him, but he remains unidentified.
    Given the "bulldog" tattoo on the man's right upper arm, it is likely that he had once served in the Marines
    __________________________________________________ _________
    __________________________________________________ _________

Possible Match:

The Doe Network:
    Case File 390DMWV
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/390dmwv.html

James Elwood Brady
    Missing since September 1, 1965 from Logan, Logan County, West Virginia.
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: January 17, 1930
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 25 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7", 145 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; grey eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Brady was last seen boarding a Trailways Bus in Logan, Logan County, West Virginia and Bluefield, Mercer County, Virginia on September 1, 1965.
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    West Virginia State Police
    304-746-2100

NCIC Number:
    M-650880574
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    West Virginia State Police

JBrady.jpg

a-bartlett-marine-uniform.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 06-04-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added links

I would say it's a match. The only difference I note is that the eyebrows in his military pic appear to be thicker, but it could just be the angle. Otherwise, I would say it's him. Or a relative.
    This is all my opinion, which is subject to change with more information, if the wind changes direction, or if I wake up in a different mood...

I've just noticed a discrepancy in age/dob on Doenetwork-- Charley Project lists his age at time of disappearance as 35... Oi!

If he was 35, I suppose the age range is still close enough to warrant submission.

better pic

here's one more
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think that they look identical. This would be amazing if it were not the same person. Good work. I hope that this is the man!!

Quote Originally Posted by MargotKidder View Post
    I think that they look identical. This would be amazing if it were not the same person. Good work. I hope that this is the man!!
    I agree, the resemblence is striking, even down to the ears. Please keep is updated if you submit it-good sleuthing

Good job. I hope it is a match. It sure does look like the same person to me.

imo It looks like James Elwood Brady is going home. Good eye & heart, tamar!

Looks very close to me as well! Please let us know how this turns out Tamar and thank you for your time and effort in trying to bring some of UID's home!

Quote Originally Posted by tamar View Post
    I've just noticed a discrepancy in age/dob on Doenetwork-- Charley Project lists his age at time of disappearance as 35... Oi!

If he was 35, I suppose the age range is still close enough to warrant submission.
    Meaghan at Charley Project makes that 10-year age error quite frequently. I just mentioned that a few days ago, and during the last week, she did it twice again on new casefiles. Since I have all 8000+ of her casefiles on a spreadsheet, I was able to catch all of those errors and notify her. But either I left this one off the list, or she didn't correct it. I am typing this message from my iPhone and don't have the list with me to be sure.

On your possible match - great job, Tamar!!! It looks good to me.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 01-24-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Looks great to me!!!!! Thank you very much for working it out!!!!
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Carl,

Regarding DOB: the year is listed on both sites as 1930. Looks like Meagahn is better at math than Doenetwork is. :]

Thanks for the replies everyone, I submitted this and heard back this morning from a Penn Trooper, he said Brady has been compared and is not a match (oddly enough there is another James Brady missing since 1967 out of SK). I asked how the comparison was disounted (fingerprints DNA or dentals) but haven't heard back yet. It looks like this UID was exhumed (or is in the process of being exhumed) for DNA testing recently.

I have seen many mistakes made in dental and even fingerprint identifier comparisons-- human error is a vile underminer n'est-ce pas?

And this one hit me so strongly as a match... maybe when DNA is complete this young, handsome Marine will finally find his way home.

Carl,

Regarding DOB: the year is listed on both sites as 1930. Looks like Meagahn is better at math than Doenetwork is. :]

Thanks for the replies everyone, I submitted this and heard back this morning from a Penn Trooper, he said Brady has been compared and is not a match (oddly enough there is another James Brady missing since 1967 out of SK). I asked how the comparison was disounted (fingerprints DNA or dentals) but haven't heard back yet. It looks like this UID was exhumed (or is in the process of being exhumed) for DNA testing recently.

I have seen many mistakes made in dental and even fingerprint identifier comparisons-- human error is a vile underminer n'est-ce pas?

And this one hit me so strongly as a match... maybe when DNA is complete this young, handsome Marine will finally find his way home.
    Go with your gut, tamar.....or in this case a number of guts. And please post what disqualified a match, hope it wasn't something as simple as the tattoos not being listed on James military records.

Carl,

Yes, now that I am home and can see the list, I see that Meaghan got it right on this one. This was not one of the cases on which she made that error.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 01-24-2010 at 06:52 PM.

PA - Downingtown - White Male 1280UMPA, 20-30 - 18 November 1968 - "USMC" tattoo

Unidentified White Male
    Found November 18, 1968 near Downingtown, Chester County, Pennsylvania

Vital Statistics

Estimated Age: 20-30 years old
    Estimated height: 5'6"
    Estimated weight: 160 lbs
    Hair Color: dark brown
    Eye Color: green or hazel
    Tattoos: On the right upper arm, a bulldog wearing a helmet with the letters USMC underneath. On the left forearm was a "bird in flight", possibly a swallow.
    Clothing: Rust colored sweater, brown houndstooth-check pants, brown shoes with buckles. He was covered with a dark blue navy peacoat.
    Fingerprints: Available
    Distinguishing Characteristics: a healed bullet wound
    Estimated Time of Death: about 12 hours prior to being found, but no longer than 24 hours.
    Cause of death: stabbed once "through the heart" with a narrow round object that penetrated about four inches.
    DNA: unavailable at this time, however, the man was exhumed from his grave in Quaker Cemetery near Kennett Square and samples have been taken to start the DNA process.

Case Details

On Monday, November 18, 1968, at 10:55 a.m., a Pennsylvania State Trooper, while on a routine Turnpike patrol, spotted a man in a semi-sitting position on the side of the highway, about a mile east of the Downingtown interchange. The trooper stopped to check on the man and found that he was dead.

There was no identification on the fully-clothed body and no signs of a struggle.

The FBI studied fingerprints in an effort to identify him, but he remains unidentified. Given the "bulldog" tattoo on the man's right upper arm, it is likely that he had once served in the Marines.

If you have any information about this case, please contact:

Pennsylvania State Police
    Troop J - Avondale
    Tpr Christopher Winesburg or Cpl Patrick Quiqley
    Phone: 610-268-2022
    Fax: 610-268-3845

Sources
    Pennsylvania State Police
    NewspaperArchive.com
    Lebanon Daily News
    Simpson's Leader Times
    Daily News (Huntingdon & Mount Union)