'Mission: Impossible' star Peter Graves dies in LA

Dark Knight

Reaction score
LOS ANGELES – Peter Graves, the tall, stalwart actor likely best known for his portrayal of Jim Phelps, leader of a gang of special agents who battled evil conspirators in the long-running television series "Mission: Impossible," died Sunday.

Graves died of an apparent heart attack outside his Los Angeles home, publicist Sandy Brokaw said. He would have been 84 this week.

Graves had just returned from brunch with his wife and kids and collapsed before he made it into the house, Brokaw said. One of his daughters administered CPR but was unable to revive him. Graves' family doctor visited the house and believed he had a heart attack, Brokaw said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_en_ce/us_obit_peter_graves

his character in 'airplane' would probably start a massive thread here on websleuths lmao

heh

'jimmy have you ever been in a turkish prison?'

Although I've been aware of it for many years, I never understood the apparently broken relationship with his older brother, actor James Arness ("Gunsmoke").

RIP Peter Graves...you contributed much and will surely be remembered fondly

I'll go back even further...I had a little girl crush on him when he starred in "Fury."

surely your joking?

no im not
and dont call me shirley!

Just found this out. So sad! Prior to Airplane, in which he was hilarious, not many of you know he was the original Jim Phelps in Mission Impossible, in which he was also fantastic! (Okay, I'm dating myself!)
RIP Peter, you will be missed.

was too young to see him in mission impossible.

think he was the pilot in both 'airplane' movies but im not sure.

My Mom had the biggest crush on him in Mission Impossible. I remember one time when he and another person on the show were coming to the mall. My Mom and a couple of her friends joined a group of women that literally mobbed him. That is one great memory, as my friends and I could just laugh!

Although I've been aware of it for many years, I never understood the apparently broken relationship with his older brother, actor James Arness ("Gunsmoke").

RIP Peter Graves...you contributed much and will surely be remembered fondly
I never knew they were brothers!! Wow!

(I just loved him in Airplane...he was so funny and totally took me by surprise!)

i just want to say...good luck. we're all counting on you

i just want to say......good luck. we're all counting on you

I never knew they were brothers!! Wow!

(I just loved him in Airplane...he was so funny and totally took me by surprise!)

ITA about him in Airplane, a surprising role and he played it just right.

I'm not sure what happened between them, but that you did not know they were brothers is part of it; whether done by intention for some unknown reason or whether the result of some sort of rift (which is what I recall from wayback).

Revisiting my initial post on this thread, I should have said shirley be rememebered <g>

Long live the laughs and pittapats these actors gave us!

was too young to see him in mission impossible.

think he was the pilot in both 'airplane' movies but im not sure.
You can find clips, maybe entire episodes on YouTube, I've shown my daughter, but they are all of the earlier years, not the later ones where Linda Day George replaced Barbara Bain.

Prayers and thoughts for his family and friends.

Thanx for the memories.
RIP Peter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23