WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
MISSING: Woman and Her Son Disappear in Thurston County; Car Found In Waters Of Dana Passage

NEAR OLYMPIA - A desperate search is underway in Thurston County for a mother and her eight-year-old son.

The last time someone heard from Shantina Smiley was 24 hours ago, when she called her fiance.

Just a few hours later, on Sunday morning, her van was spotted partially submerged in the waters of Dana Passage, which is just north of Olympia.

Both doors were open and her wallet was inside, but her purse was gone.

Police say Smiley was heading to Castle Rock from Silverdale, but her fiance, Rob Simmons, says it doesn't add up that she would even be in the area of Dana Passage.

"Being that it was down a dead-end road, and then going down a dirt road around a bluff to the water makes no sense," said Simmons, "she would not go down that road, it's a dead-end."

Simmons says they don't have any friends in that area, and worries something sinister may have happened.

"I'm scared that something bad happened," said Simmons, " and I just want to say to whoever has them, send them home please, just drop them off somewhere, let them be found, let them come home, let them be safe."

Shantina Smiley is 29-years-old, stands about 5'9" tall, and weighs about 140 pounds. She has dark brown hair and brown eyes.

Her son, Azriel Carver is 4'2" tall, about 100 pounds. He has blond hair in a mohawk style, and has brown eyes.

Simmons described them as a "Scout" family, because of how involved they are with the Boy Scouts of America,

Friends say she is responsible, and very loving, and has no history of drug use.

If you know anything, or have seen anything, call 911, or the Thurston County Sheriff's Office dispatch at 360-704-2749

52741972.JPG

===================================
<snip>

The Sheriff's Office is treating the case as suspicious, but detectives have very little information to go on, Watkins said.

He said there are no obvious signs of foul play, but they want to know how where Shantina is - and how her car wound up in the water.

Investigators have determined that Shantina left Silverdale at 5 p.m. Saturday. At 6:45 p.m. she called her boyfriend from a pay phone asking him to get her cell phone, but he didn't answer, Mealy said.

Detectives found a receipt at a local business that places her in northeast Olympia at 7:55 p.m.

At 11:15 p.m. Shantina's car was found submerged in North Gull Harbor.

Her wallet was found inside the car with everything in it, but not her purse, Mealy said. The doors of the car were open when it was discovered.

Mealy said Shantina has no history of mental illness or any other known problem. She works as a portrait photographer in the Silverdale area.

Contrary to earlier reports, she was not visiting a friend in the area, she was just heading to her stepfather's home in Castle Rock.

Investigators conducted a boat search of North Gull Harbor and the immediate area, as well as the beach area, but found no trace of Shantina or her son. Deputies also are canvassing the neighborhood.

The investigation continues.

more here

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/87628727.html

=======================================

<snip>

A woman and her 8-year old son were missing after the van she was driving was found on the beach at Little Fishtrap, near Boston Harbor, on Sunday morning.

Shantina M. Smiley, 29, of Silverdale, and her son, Azriel J. Carver, were on their way Saturday evening to meet with her stepfather in Castle Rock on Saturday evening, said Thurston County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Chris Mealy.

The next morning, local resident Jim Pribbenow was alerted by a neighbor to the gold 2005 Dodge Caravan on private beachfront property around 10:30 a.m.

“The back hatch and the side door was open,” Pribbenow said. “The front end had gone in the mud and you could see where the wheels had spun in trying to back out.”

Smiley’s wallet was inside but her purse was missing, and there was no indication of where she and Azriel went, Mealy said. The interior of the van was wet, he said.

“We don’t know if she was, unfortunately, a victim of a crime, or someone gave them a bus ticket and they haven’t seen the news yet,” Mealy said.

more here

http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/14/1172699/woman-and-8-year-old-son-missing.html

========================

FWIW-- here's a timeline but it's an "examiner.com" article -- I haven't had time yet to verify it

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...ear-old-son-fiance-believes-could-be-sinister

ETA:

<snip>
Police say 29-year-old Shantina Smiley borrowed her fiancee's minivan on Saturday. Late Sunday morning that vehicle was found partially submerged in Budd Inlet.
Some neighbors found the van Sunday morning, down a dead end dirt road north of Olympia. It was at the bottom of a hill, in the water. The doors were open, and no one was inside.

"We have no idea what happened," says Thurston County Sheriff's Lt. Chris Mealy, "She could have been the victim of a crime, she could have wandered off."

Smiley, no Azriel, would have had any reason to come to the area. Search and Rescue crews scoured the wooded terrain looking for clues and answers. They also searched the shoreline, but found nothing of importance.

Simmons says Shantina did contact a family member at about 10pm last night to says she had been in an accident, but was okay. :confused:

Police says Shantina is 5'9" tall, with dark hair, and 140 pounds. Simmons says she has numerous tattoos, including one on her neck, and both wrists. She also had a couple lightning bolts on her back. Azriel is 4'2", 100 pounds, with a blonde mohawk.

ETA2: her MS http://www.myspace.com/neiko_82

Shantina has a FB page also.
It is set to private.
No friend has a status about Shantina.

In reading things over, it appears that she did call a relative around 10pm and say she had been in an accident.
???? I am not sure of that.

The car was found in water. Per news reports, they would have had to travel down a dead end dirt road and then the car went into the river.
The car had its doors and the hatchback open.

It doesn't sound too good.
But, it might be a hike out of the area where the van was found,
but both are in Scouts
and have some training.
So many questions.
Hopefully at day's light, there will be a search of the water and the surrounding area.

http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/14/1172699/woman-and-8-year-old-son-missing.html
Read comments section:
A post from a waitress from the diner they were at that night.
=======================
Wantmy, I work at the Martin way diner..your stepmom and Azriel were in about 9 pm Saturday. They ordered a corn dog and tater tots to go, and payed for them, but while I was cooking their dinner, I watched them get up and leave. I didn't think too much about it, but they never came back. My waitress asked me what should we do with their order, and I told her to just wait..they might come back..My waitress told me that the woman seemed drunk, but the kid told my waitress. "Mommy hit her head". We wondered if she might have a concussion. We reviewed our security tapes, and she fell down outside the restaurant. She might have had a concussion..I don't know if she was a drinker or not, but she didn't order any alcohol at our place..I hope they're ok..I ended up taking that dinner home for myself, and it eats at me that I might have take azreils last meal..

=========================
I have no way of knowing if this is accurate information or not.
Hopefully, if it is true, that this person has called the police.

Per mapquest:
Silverdale WA to Castle Rock WA is
a 2 hr, 9 minute drive.
120.23 miles.

Olympia, WA is about half way to Castle Rock, WA.
It is 98 minutes from Silverdale, WA.
57.21 miles.

Gull Harbor and the other two locations
are all withing one half mile of each other,
around Olympia, WA.

So, what happened?
She leaves at 5pm or 4:15pm, depending on which news report is accurate.
She should get to Olympia, WA area
after one hour on the road, 6pm or 5:15pm...?

6:45pm - Call from pay phone at Handy Pantry to fiance.
7:55pm - in NE Olympia

I would think maybe she stopped for dinner, but
10pm, or right before 10pm was when they were at the diner.
10:10pm, or right after 10pm called grandparents from a house nearby. She asked to use their phone.
This home 4 - 5 miles from where van was found.

Santina and son left around 5pm.
Santina should have been at her stepdad's house by 7pm.
They stopped one halfway there in Olympia, WA
and stayed there the rest of the time.
So, from 6pm or so on,
what did they do?

They don't order dinner until nearly 10pm.

Perhaps they had an earlier fast food meal?
Perhaps there was car trouble, although there is no mention of that?
They stopped for gas?
Why didn't she call her stepdad when she called her grandparents?

That is still nearly four hours before they are at the diner.
????

Read comments section:
A post from a waitress from the diner they were at that night.
=======================
Wantmy, I work at the Martin way diner..your stepmom and Azriel were in about 9 pm Saturday. They ordered a corn dog and tater tots to go, and payed for them, but while I was cooking their dinner, I watched them get up and leave. I didn't think too much about it, but they never came back. My waitress asked me what should we do with their order, and I told her to just wait..they might come back..My waitress told me that the woman seemed drunk, but the kid told my waitress. "Mommy hit her head". We wondered if she might have a concussion. We reviewed our security tapes, and she fell down outside the restaurant. She might have had a concussion..I don't know if she was a drinker or not, but she didn't order any alcohol at our place..I hope they're ok..I ended up taking that dinner home for myself, and it eats at me that I might have take azreils last meal..

=========================
I have no way of knowing if this is accurate information or not.
Hopefully, if it is true, that this person has called the police.

I hope some posters who are familiar w/ the area let us know what it's like in that area, how heavily travelled the roads are, etc.

Prayers for Kat & little Azriel that they are safe & found any minute now.

??? I wonder if the vehicle shows a prior accident?? It sounds as if Shantina had a head injury?? Or maybe even some sort of stroke, despite her young age that would be possible??

Here's hoping that they are in those woods or area alive...hopefully the scout training will help them?? I wonder if she led them out there and now this poor little guy is there trying to take care of her?

Oh how sad that she didn't seem worse in the diner and they might have called 911 for her...but hindsight is always flawless...I guess that she looked normal enough there?? The fact she fell outside is worrysome IMHO

I am NOT a medical professional but this does sound like some sort of brain problem or head injury or ??

I'm concerned as well for their safety. The possible head injury is very troubling.....am hoping Nursebeeme or Nurselady show up on this thread soon and lend their invaluable expertise and insight.

I hope some posters who are familiar w/ the area let us know what it's like in that area, how heavily travelled the roads are, etc.

Prayers for Kat & little Azriel that they are safe & found any minute now.

Martin Way (where the diner is) is a major thoroughfare in Olympia/Lacey, though the area of the diner is less traveled than the parts closer to central Oly or Lacey. Still, it there would be a large number of cars passing this area on a Saturday night.

Gull Harbor is on the way to Boston Harbor, a small community. While this is a less traveled area, there are lots of houses in this area so there is some vehicle traffic here, especially on Boston Harbor Rd. I'm not sure exactly where the car was found, sounds like it might be near here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...119205,-122.893925&spn=0.062377,0.163078&z=13

Sounds like what happened is this:
Shantina & Azriel set out for Castle Rock. Not sure what condition she is in or what may have happened along the way, but they arrive in the Olympia area (via I-5 south) later than they had intended. One or both are hungry, so they stop at the Martin Way diner (easy to get there from the Pacific Ave. exit on I-5) for food. They leave before getting the food for some unknown reason; Shantina is disoriented, according to staff. Shantina drives down State St. If she turned left at Plum St., it would take them directly to I-5 south; instead, she turns right at that intersection, which puts her on East Bay Dr., which turns into Boston Harbor Rd. Her car is found not far off of Boston Harbor Rd.

a new article from the Olympian, which points out that the car was found on Zangle Rd. (the location in my map immediately above), and that Shantina called her fiance at 7:30 to say that they had arrived in Olympia.

http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/...beach-but-mom-boy.html#storylink=omni_popular

BOSTON HARBOR - A woman and her 8-year old son were missing after the van she was driving was found on the beach at Little Fishtrap, near Boston Harbor, on Sunday morning.

On Sunday, police boats were on the water and searchers walked up and down the beach searching for the pair, Mealy said, and the neighborhood on Zangle Road Northeast was canvassed for any sign of the two.

Searchers also planned to talk to residents across Dana Passage on Harstine Island, in case someone noted when the van arrived on the beach, he said.

I hope Shantina and her son are found safe and sound. Odd that she did not have her cell phone with her? This smacks of Morgan Harrington.

1 Smiley, Shantina Marie
Defendant Cowlitz District C09522359 04-14-2005
2 Smiley, Shantina Marie
Petitioner
Cowlitz Superior Ct 05-2-01175-1 07-01-2005
3 Smiley, Shantina Marie
Respondent Cowlitz Superior Ct 01-3-00376-8 06-22-2001

Couple of older cases. If you cross reference the case number on #2 you will see a DV-PO and I assume the other party is the Father of her son. Do we know if there have been any recent problems or issues with CBW?

IF the diner story is accurate, sounds like something was definitely wrong with her. And, why would she stop at some random house to use the phone? Why not a pay phone? Would like to hear from the person/people from the house. How was she acting? Was her son with her? What was she doing during the day before she left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer