MA - Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum heist, Boston, 18 March 1990

believe09

Reaction score
Please I am begging you PLEASE, return my all time favorite painting to the museum....

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/03/post_57.html?comments=all#readerComm

There is new evidence being processed and new leads in this case. The Sea of Galilee used to capture me for hours. From when I was a youngin, I would gaze upon it and get a little sea sick. I was there shortly before it was ripped off, and I was there the day they reopened the museum to see its empty spot. It kills me every time....

Give it back believe... You know you gotta...
j/k! LOL

Thanks for posting this. Another case that has always fascinated me. I hope they bring The SoG back for you, Believe!!!

But no names, arrests, conviction. Hm.

Has the biggest art heist in US history been solved? FBI says they've ID'd infamous
thieves who stole half a BILLION dollars of art from Boston's Gardner Museum
(Daily Mail)
The FBI believes it knows the identities of the thieves who stole art valued at up to $500 million from Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in 1990 they announced today in a stunning new development in the greatest art heist in modern history.

Richard DesLauriers, the FBI's special agent in charge in Boston, said the thieves belong to a criminal organization based in New England the mid-Atlantic states, though did not offer any names.

He added that authorities believe the art was taken to Connecticut and the Philadelphia region in the years after the theft, and offered for sale in Philadelphia about a decade ago.
---
During the 1990 robbery, thieves disguised as police officers struck as Boston finished celebrating St. Patrick's Day, binding two guards, before stealing masterworks by Rembrandt, Vermeer, Degas and Manet.
---
more, with pictures of the works stolen, at the link above

Hehehe, I'm dying to see the names. The one pic they were showing of one of the fake cops looked just like an ex BF of mine. You have no idea how many times I was almost tempted to turn him in cause maybe???? At any rate, I can't wait to read the names.

My favorite art heist: The legendary Adam Worth steals Thomas Gainsborough's painting of Georgina Cavendish (née Spencer), Duchess of Devonshire. (trutv.com link)

Experts: Chances of recovering Boston art good

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=3&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_ETNWU00L3_UNEWS

BOSTON (AP) — Now that authorities believe they know who stole $500 million worth of art from Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in the largest art heist in U.S. history, what are the chances they'll actually recover the stolen works by Rembrandt, Vermeer and Manet after 23 years?

Surprisingly good, art recovery experts say.............

The FBI announced Monday that it knows but is not disclosing the identities of two men who posed as police officers and stole 13 works of art from the museum in 1990. The theft remains the largest art heist in U.S. history.............

"I think that the chances are that if they still exist, there's a 95 percent chance they are going to get the paintings back," Wittman said.

"At some point, they are going to come back to market. Whoever is holding them illicitly is going to get old. An heir or a child is going to find it and try to sell it."...........

The statute of limitations has expired on crimes associated with the actual theft. But prosecutors say anyone who knowingly possesses or conceals the stolen art could still face charges..........more at link.............

Yes, that art isn't going anywhere. It's in a warehouse someplace, I would think (which is where Adam Worth - see above - stored the Gainsborough he stole). That's the thing about stealing great art - unless some fabulously wealthy collector wants to buy it and keep it on a wall in a secret room, there's no market at all for it because it's so easily traced, so well-known to have been purloined. While it make for a pretty fab heist and lots of headlines, there's no money in art theft. Potential art thieves, be forewarned! lol. For your great risk you'll be lucky to make pennies on the dollar.

I believe there are many fabulously wealthy collectors who would be thrilled to have these paintings hanging on their walls, somewhere in/on their property. i don't believe the resale value would even enter into the equation, it would simply be the posession, and the enjoyment derived therefrom.

CNN has a really good show tonight on the Gardner Museum theft. I am seeing it during the second showing of Anderson Cooper 360. I missed the first fifteen minutes or so so I am not sure if it is an old show updated or if its entirely new. In any case, its really been good! It might rerun again tonight or this weekend. I think its called, "Heist".

The 'host' of the show was Randi Kaye (spelling)

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...er-boston-art-heist-video-shows-intruder.html

"Aug 06 2015

BOSTON — Twenty-five years after a famed art heist at Boston’s Gardner museum, officials have released new surveillance video showing an unauthorized visitor entering the museum 24 hours before the robbery.

Authorities hope the never-before seen video will spark some leads in the still-unsolved heist.

It shows a guard appearing to speak into an intercom, then grant access to a man"

rembrandt.jpg.

"The empty frame from which thieves cut Rembrandt's "Storm on the Sea of Galilee" remains on display at the Gardner Museum in Boston. More than a dozen works were stolen on March 18, 1990"

Started new thread before i saw this one!
Bringing new post over here..

25 years after Boston art heist, video shows intruder.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...-intruder.html

"Aug 06 2015

BOSTON — Twenty-five years after a famed art heist at Boston’s Gardner museum, officials have released new surveillance video showing an unauthorized visitor entering the museum 24 hours before the robbery.

Authorities hope the never-before seen video will spark some leads in the still-unsolved heist.

It shows a guard appearing to speak into an intercom, then grant access to a man"

rembrandt.jpg

"The empty frame from which thieves cut Rembrandt's "Storm on the Sea of Galilee" remains on display at the Gardner Museum in Boston. More than a dozen works were stolen on March 18, 1990"

[video=youtube;V-N7Z-8h_FM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-N7Z-8h_FM[/video]

The older guy is the museum guard??

What kind of car is that? The more central headlights are on as the car drives up but the high-beams come on to the outside? The car turns around but the camera doesn't catch it.

So which is the mystery person? The older man, or the younger man in the jacket? Does that man speak to the curly-haired person?

Both "Clark Rockefeller" and William Kingsland had stolen art:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/12/nyregion/12kingsland.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

:seeya:

The older guy is the museum guard??

no the long-haired fellow is the guard - at .52, he uses the phone

also, that 'older' man has a camera slung around his neck

my imagination sees an amused expression on the 'older' man

his appearance is likely a disguise but it's a good one

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online